• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kumano Kodo NYT article

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@jayree--thank you!
Have you any sense (having walked the Shikoku pilgirmge) how the 2 differ?
I hope to walk the Kumano Kodo, but think part of the 88 temple walk might also be interesting.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked to about 25 of the Shikoku 88 temples starting at 1 and finishing at 88. The Buddhist ritual at each temple is interesting. Very few pilgrims walk the entire route at once. We walked on forest and country paths but avoided walking long distances along highways with heavy car traffic which is a lot of the route around the island. Most Japanese take buses from temple to temple. The Kumano Kodo pictured in the article looked like some of the Shikoku I walked but can be done in about 4 days so you could conceivably combine the two. Add in visits to Tokyo and Kyoto and it is still less than a month. Communication in English outside big cities is problematic if you don't understand Japanese.

@jayree--thank you!
Have you any sense (having walked the Shikoku pilgirmge) how the 2 differ?
I hope to walk the Kumano Kodo, but think part of the 88 temple walk might also be interesting.

Nice thanks for posting the article

I really appreciate this timely information. I will walk the Kumano Kodo in late October after visiting Koya-san. Afterwards, I will take the train back up to Wakayama and start the 88 temple walk from Temple #1 at Ryozenji. Would like to hear of your experiences of anyone on this forum or links to others.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I really appreciate this timely information. I will walk the Kumano Kodo in late October after visiting Koya-san. Afterwards, I will take the train back up to Wakayama and start the 88 temple walk from Temple #1 at Ryozenji. Would like to hear of your experiences of anyone on this forum or links to others.

Have you seen Johnnie Walker's blog from the Shikoku pilgrimage? Makes interesting reading:
http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/88 Temples Shikoku Japan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Bradypus: Thank you. I actually met Johnnie in Santiago de Compostela last October. We did discuss the 88 Temple Shikoku walk. He is an incredibly spiritual individual. I think he is or was walking the St. Francis Way from Assisi to Rome.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back