• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

La Compostela / Credentials for non-accomodation persons

Hi there,

I am doing Camino Frances in march and [do not] plan to stay in any accomodation. I will clearly be doing the minimum distance required to get the Compostela at the end of my journey, but am also aware I need to get 'stamps' from the various stops along the way.

Honestly, I plan to interact as little as possibe with people! Sorry guys!! *hug* and will be camping out (Bivvy bag if need be)...

So my question is, how many stamps, if any, do I need in order to get the end certificate?

Thank you,

Richard (UK)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
richardelliott1983 said:
Hi there,
I am doing Camino Frances in march and [do not] plan to stay in any accomodation. and will be camping out (Bivvy bag if need be)...
So my question is, how many stamps, if any, do I need in order to get the end certificate?
Richard (UK)

Richard, I am wondering if you realise just how cold it might be in March? I experienced snow in April in France, and know that those in Spain experienced snow then as well. Even in June, as I walked along the Camino Frances, there were some bitterly cold days. The attached photo was taken in the albergue in Granon in June: firewood was scarce, but there was a reason why our lovely hospitalero had found enough for an open fire!

To obtain a Compostela, it is just necessary to have enough stamps to show you walked the last 100km. Some accommodation places will give you a stamp even if you just go to the reception area. Some churches also have stamps, and some of these are very beautiful. Some bars also have stamps, though these tend to be quite utilitarian.
Margaret

Attachments

• IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,115
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am not sure if you are being practical on the accommodations side, and you may find that some flexibility on this will serve you well-- Galician weather is comparable to that of Ireland and Wales and camping out will prove equally sensible.

In any case, sellos for your credential can also be easily obtained in ayuntamientos (town halls and village administration centres), police stations, tourism offices, monasteries and convents, and health centres along the way. My requests to such places were always met with friendly cheerfulness and occasionally with a cup of coffee.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I believe the rule of thumb is that if you are doing the minimum 100k camino you should have at least 2 stamps per day. In addition to the places noted already you can get one at almost every bar, restaurant, hotel, etc. that you will pass and/or patronize.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys, thats great to know. Thanks also for the concern regarding the weather...I don't plan to camp out every single, night, but most. My bag goes to -40C so I should be ok :)

Best,

Richard

I think you need to be more concerned about rain rather than cold. The average rainfall in Galicia for the month of March is about 100mm - about twice that in Dublin. Walking all day in the rain and then sleeping outside doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think that a solitary, silent and private camino must be very appealing. You'll soon find that people will leave you alone after the first 'Buen camino' if you indicate your desire to be alone. (You could always pin a sign to your backpack - or one that says "Trappist Monk - No Talking!")
There are a number of private albergues, some that have separate rooms, so you can inquire about a private room. Most albergues allow pilgrims to use their facilities even if they are not staying there so you could take a hot shower from time to time.
Buen suerte,

Attachments

• no_talking.gif
    no_talking.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 980
Hi Richard,
During my Caminos I have met many solitary individuals who were alone, myself included. From experience, I can assure you it is entirely possible to be alone in an albergue - even if there are many other people around!

Sometimes, while walking, you fall in with a group. They walk the same distance, at about the same pace and you see them daily at the end. Other times, you find a different rythym and path and can find yourself entirely alone. During my Caminos, I found that there were both pilgrims with whom I needed/wanted to walk and others with whom I needed/wanted to part.

The Camino is so personal and each pilgrim's motivation is his own. All pilgrims will respect that. I would only offer one small piece of advice. Try not to be too "rigid" in saying how the Camino will be..."I shall do this or that", "It will be this or that". Be open to the experiences that the Camino will present to you - they will be many and varied.

As to the credencial, as others have mentioned, if you are beginning in Sarria (or thereabouts) and only walking the last 100km then it is a very good idea to have at least two stamps per day from various places along the Way. If you begin father back, it is not quite so necesary to have two per day, but still a good idea to have some from many towns along the Way. In 2008 I began my Camino in Moratinos and got as many sellos as possible so I would not have blank spaces in my credencial. It was a beautiful one that I had gotten in Paris and I wanted it to be a complete momento. Silly, but different motivation nonetheless!

Buen Camino,

On our Portuguese Camino, we met a young man in a park, a pilgrim, who did not speak. He simply wrote us a note saying he was silent, and we respected his silence.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back