• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

La Isla albergue closed for "obras"

Jan_D

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone, on the Norte at the moment and 2 days in it's already stretching my budget a wee bit. I started from Llanes only to find the albergue in Cuerres closed for 2018. There's no pilgrim albergue in Ribadesella. And just been informed that the albergue in La Isla is closed for renovation work "for the forseeable future". Anyway if you're doing this stretch sometime soon just be aware that you might need to spend a bit extra on hotels for 2 or 3 days.

Over and out (from a little cafe on the wonderful but very windy Vega beach!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jan hoping to begin either Del Norte or Frances tomorrow. I am currently on route to Zaragoza so I have to decide this evening . As I have walked the Frances previously it was my intention to walk Del norte this time . However some forum posts are suggesting the route could be almost bereft of peregrinos this time of year. So basically my main concern is if there are many peregrinos currently walking Del norte? Buen Camino

Hi Jan hoping to begin either Del Norte or Frances tomorrow. I am currently on route to Zaragoza so I have to decide this evening . As I have walked the Frances previously it was my intention to walk Del norte this time . However some forum posts are suggesting the route could be almost bereft of peregrinos this time of year. So basically my main concern is if there are many peregrinos currently walking Del norte? Buen Camino
Hi Pat, I've only been walking a couple of days so not sure i'm in a position to help! I've bumped into 2 couples in bars over the past two days but other than that haven't seen a soul. The pilgrims I've bumped into said it's been very quiet, and they've had a few issues with accommodation too.

Don't know whether this will make things better or worse in your eyes, but apparently things are set to get much busier over Semana Santa. The receptionist in my hotel said they were "completo" the whole of next week, with groups of Spanish pilgrims coming to walk for a few days. Unfortunately the Norte doesn't have the same capacity to absorb pilgrims as the Frances, so accommodation gets saturated very quickly at peak times.

Anyway I personally enjoy solo walking but this is the 3rd day in a row that I'm staying alone and i'm starting to miss that sense of camino community!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Pat, I've only been walking a couple of days so not sure i'm in a position to help! I've bumped into 2 couples in bars over the past two days but other than that haven't seen a soul. The pilgrims I've bumped into said it's been very quiet, and they've had a few issues with accommodation too.

Don't know whether this will make things better or worse in your eyes, but apparently things are set to get much busier over Semana Santa. The receptionist in my hotel said they were "completo" the whole of next week, with groups of Spanish pilgrims coming to walk for a few days. Unfortunately the Norte doesn't have the same capacity to absorb pilgrims as the Frances, so accommodation gets saturated very quickly at peak times.

Anyway I personally enjoy solo walking but this is the 3rd day in a row that I'm staying alone and i'm starting to miss that sense of camino community!
Thanks Jan. Might just flip a coin to decide!

Thanks Jan. Might just flip a coin to decide!
Yeah I think things will start to get busier with pilgrims of all nationalities starting from Irun from this time of year onwards. It's a beautiful walk, and the weather is meant to be gorgeous next week (today it's been positively apocalyptic! Covered in mud from head to toe, the way the receptionist just looked at me I must resemble a yeti :oops:

Good luck with your coin toss! (If anything your reaction to the side it falls will reveal what you really want to do...)

For those concerned about the albergue situation in post#1.
Cuerres - there is an albergue at the church at San Pedro de Pria, which is 3.2kms before Cuerres, open May onwards and also Albergue llosa cosme in Piñeres de Pría itself, open all year.
The albergue we have listed for Ribadasella is at San Esteban de Leces, 5kms further on. In Ribadasella itself there is a youth hostel which takes pilgrims if there is space.
La Isla will be the real problem. The hotel Bahia is pilgrim friendly or else go on to Colunga (5.5kms) for cheaper hotel options. The next albergue appears to be at Priesca - a further 7kms. Note also that when we were there last year the cafe-bar Lismar in La Isla was closed for a rest day on Tuesdays.

Last edited:
For those concerned about the albergue situation in post#1.QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info. And sorry, I didn't mean to alarm anyone, should have done more research about alternatives before/ after Ribadesella but my main objective was sharing the info about La Isla!

Anyway there are alternatives if one manages one's stages. However, it seems most pilgrims usually decide to stop in Llanes, and then head to Cuerres, and La Isla respectively (making each stage around 25km). Didn't know about the summer church albergue or the other one in Pineres de Pria but this could be a solution (stage from Llanes would then be about 21km).

Ribadesella really could do with an albergue though... Roberto Frasinelli is often booked out by school groups (it's a YHA hostel) and they provide accommodation for surf schools etc over the summer. Also, they charge €19.80 per bed which is why i think lots of pilgrims opt to stay in hotels.

(Anyone want to start a small business in beautiful Asturias?)

Thanks for all the info......
☺Good that you have raised it as it would be awful to get to La Isla to find it closed. Hope it re opens soon and some one posts it here

There are 2 albergues in Cuerres (Reposo del Andayón and Casa Belén). Are they both closed the whole year of 2018?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are 2 albergues in Cuerres (Reposo del Andayón and Casa Belén). Are they both closed the whole year of 2018?
Gronze is only listing the first of these, Reposo del Andayón, at present. It gives the opening as March (no date) to 15th October. Maybe it will open for Easter.
No mention of Casa Belén.

We will be through here in a car when in Spain, and staying near LLanes, so will check this out if we are able. Not much help I am afraid for those walking in April/May.

I actually passed by both albergues a few weeks ago. Reposo del Andayón had a 'closed' sign, but there was clearly activity (gardener at work, 3 cars on the parking lot), so I guess you are right. Last summer the owner hadnt' decided yet about closing for the winter, but I can imagine that she decided to do so. At Casa Belén I couldn't see any activity. They didn't seem to be open, but I have no idea whether they are just closed for the season.

What a pitty! Casa Belén is run by a German couple and it is one of the best private albergues. However, they don't advertise themselves. It is an unforgettable feeling when somebedy is walking there exhausted and thirsty and then unexpectedly comes across this wonderful place.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.