• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

La Laguna El Burgo de Ranero July 25 2016

Green eyed river

Time of past OR future Camino
Just a warning to anyone staying in El Burgo Ranero at Albergue La Laguna, BED BUGS. We found them in the corner of a mattress, as well as some feces. The hospitalero simply sprayed some chemical on one corner and did nothing else. Two of our members have various bites. Please do not stay here!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just a warning to anyone staying in El Burgo Ranero at Albergue La Laguna, BED BUGS. We found them in the corner of a mattress, as well as some feces. The hospitalero simply sprayed some chemical on one corner and did nothing else. Two of our members have various bites. Please do not stay here!
I stayed there on my last Camino. I think I remember it. Rustic place? Has an upstairs? Older, cloth covered mattresses and older beds? Long wooden dinner table and they cook dinner for everybody?

Stayed there in May. No problem with bed bugs, but it was in probably the worst condition of any albergue I stayed in. The rooms and beds were OK, but the toilets and showers were pretty messy and they totally ran out of TP in the morning. I'd try and stay elsewhere if possible.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, stayed there last September and had my first bites - and the exquisite feeling of a bed bug crawling over my face at 1 in the night. I just waited for the "hospitalero" to return in the morning - and out I went.
The albuerge is the only one I stayed at where there's a sign in Spanish (only!) about "bites" and "insects" and to talk about this in the morning with the hospitalero. But: the guy just opened the doors around 6 and off he went...

cu
Volker

Yes, stayed there last September and had my first bites - and the exquisite feeling of a bed bug crawling over my face at 1 in the night. I just waited for the "hospitalero" to return in the morning - and out I went.
The albuerge is the only one I stayed at where there's a sign in Spanish (only!) about "bites" and "insects" and to talk about this in the morning with the hospitalero. But: the guy just opened the doors around 6 and off he went...

cu
Volker
Yes, I had some hesitation when I stayed there last year. The older cloth covered type mattresses and old bed frames put me off. I was with some other pilgrims I befriended who wanted to stay there and I thought what the heck. Fortunately I had no bed bug encounters there, and neither did any of the other pilgrims, but the beds and mattresses were exactly the type I preach on here to avoid (if possible).
Only stay in albergues with the rubber or vinyl encased mattresses and pillows. The kind used in hospitals and such. I believe it makes a big difference.

Stayed there twice in the past and had no problems but thanks for the tip, will avoid it this time (or at least be extra careful when checking :eek:).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
but the beds and mattresses were exactly the type I preach on here to avoid (if possible).

My problem on that day was: El Burgo Ranero was "completo" and knowing that many people were on that part of the Camino I did book in advance with the La Laguna guy - a thing I did only three times on my Camino (when I felt it was necessary). So, leaving after seeing the beds would've meant looking for a hostal or moving on. I dediced not to leave - and got the bites...

One more thing: I don't generally talk about the albergues where I encountered bed bugs because things could have changed. But in this case I've got the feeling that nothing much will change as far as I can tell from being there and seeing the guy who runs it.

cu
Volker

Yes, I had some hesitation when I stayed there last year. The older cloth covered type mattresses and old bed frames...

But the beds and mattresses were exactly the type I preach on here to avoid (if possible).

Preach?

Changed your tune?

Preach?

Changed your tune?
Ha ha....no, still on my pulpit (soapbox?). I still think the way to go albergue wise, is to stay in ones with the bedding more suited to being used by multiple people every year. That being the rubber or vinyl coated variety. Institutional, if you will. That's not saying that while walking the CF you won't find yourself in a situation where you end up sleeping on an old, ratty cloth covered mattress in a not so clean albergue. I stayed and slept on a few of those in three CF's. I just do not recommend it. I was lucky. No fleas. No bedbugs.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back