• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"La Memoria de los Ninos"

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
At the entrance to El Burgo Ranero there is a lovely monumental cross, It bears this inscription: "A la memoria de los ninos."

Anybody know the story behind that inscription?

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi - I don't know the particular story behind that cross, but there are several similar memorial markers throughout France. I encountered many of these while walking the Via Podiensis in May and June this year and took photos of many. The full inscription reads generally "In memory of our glorious children who died fighting for the freedom of France 1914 - 1918." Perhaps there is a similar memorialization in Spain for their own conflicts. These memorials certainly give one a reason to pause and reflect when we see these brave soldiers referred to as 'our children'.

EB07DE17-9EA9-4DE3-9B91-978FFD1FEB16.jpeg

64FB9D6C-DD7F-4FAF-BF89-8E054B302B56.jpeg

5C2D9174-C6D1-4112-8DFF-960B247F847B.jpeg

EEF3EFAD-3782-4891-ACCE-A968344962A3.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In France the local war memorial citation "Aux enfants..." generally refers to those fallen from a place and not necessarily children in age.
Which reminds me of the French national anthem ... Allons, enfants de la patrie ... where the children are also not minors.

In the case of the memorial of El Burgo Ranero, the names of two individuals are on the memorial: Maria Monserrat and José Maria Baños Lozano. The cross was prehaps erected in 2002 - it says "2002" on the cross.

See clear photo and text here:

Last edited:
Here is the link to a forum thread from 2014 and a likely explanation by forum member @Olivares:

So the memorial is likely to have been erected by José Maria Baños Lozano - who is a son of Rufino Baños Lozano - and by his wife (? sister? mother?) in memory of his father and in memory of the children imprisoned in the Mauthausen concentration camp in Germany/Austria.

See also:
http://psoesahagun.es/rufinobanos/

This article sheds some light on why the memorial was erected so late:

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
While I agree with the sentiment that we must not forget there is actually little indication what it is that the memorial wants us to remember. There is apparently no explanatory note near the memorial itself. There is next to nothing in relation to the "niños" on the web while there is some information about Rufino Baños in regional newspapers and similar recent sources. On further reflection, I am no longer convinced that @Olivares' attempt at an interpretation in the forum thread of 2014 is the most logical one.

Perhaps it is a memorial not only to their father Rufino but to all "niños de la guerra", all children of war, a term that may have a specific meaning in the cultural context of Spain. We have many memorials for fallen soldiers and for kings and generals who won battles. But the children of war, the ones who got killed, got murdered, got maimed, grew up as half-orphans because their father had died in war, grew up in exile, grew up under the shadow of their parents' suffering, were separated from their parents to be sent to an area that was safer than home, even to another country ... not many memorials for them. In one of the sources I read it says that Rufino Baños, after he had survived Mauthausen, continued to live in France where his son was born, and he returned to Spain only once for a short visit. He died in 1980 at the age of 63.

At the entrance to El Burgo Ranero there is a lovely monumental cross, It bears this inscription: "A la memoria de los ninos."

Anybody know the story behind that inscription?
I just wanted you to know that I contacted the Ayuntamiento of El Burgo Ranero to inquire about the history of this memorial. If, by chance they would respond - hopefully they will, I will post it.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back