Search 62305 Camino Questions

La Pata de Oca

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
(2003) Francés, (2014) Francés, (2016) Portugués , (2016) Aragonés, (2018) del Norte to Primitivo,
Have you wondered why the name "La Pata de Oca" (The Goose's Foot) was given to an albergue in Torres del Río? I asked the proprietor what was its significance. He explained that it was a Christian symbol. The footprint of a goose (three lines pointing up and one pointing down) is supposed to resemble the sign of the Cross. So now you know!
Some illustrations here: https://www.juegodelaoca.com/Esoterico/pataoca.htm

Last edited:
How to avoid failure "be prepared"
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
Have you wondered why the name "La Pata de Oca" (The Goose's Foot) was given to an albergue in Torres del Río? I asked the proprietor what was its significance. He explained that it was a Christian symbol. The footprint of a goose (three lines pointing up and one pointing down) is supposed to resemble the sign of the Cross. So now you know!
Great place, by the way....

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
2016, 2022
I think there also used to me some kind of monument at Puenta la Reina near the bridge which explained this? Maybe I dreamed it, but I remember reading about it somewhere along in there...

Bert45

Veteran Member
(2003) Francés, (2014) Francés, (2016) Portugués , (2016) Aragonés, (2018) del Norte to Primitivo,
I think there also used to me some kind of monument at Puenta la Reina near the bridge which explained this? Maybe I dreamed it, but I remember reading about it somewhere along in there...
There is an unusual (unique according to somebody on TripAdvisor) crucifix in the church of the Crucifijo in Puente la Reina in which Christ is nailed to a Y-shaped cross. Perhaps this is what you're thinking of.

joramos

Open Minds Learn & Understand
Camino Frances: (27Sep22 SJPDP-15Nov22 SDC)
Yes, but this was the albergue where my Camino backpack and all its contents was stolen from the designated transporting space. They took my retractable walking cane and my shower shoes off my backpack and put it in my sons backpack. The proprietor never took responsibility or blame even though the theft happened inside the premises of the albergue.

How to Successfully Prepare for Your Camino
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Rita Flower

2022 Via del la Plata

There is a pond and 13 geese in the cloister of the other Cathedral in Barcelona - ‘representing, according to tradition, the age of Saint Eulalia when she was martyred.’
I wondered - why geese? Maybe this is the reason.

Attachments

• EC1F3474-5D89-46F6-94C6-C188403EF900.jpeg
    EC1F3474-5D89-46F6-94C6-C188403EF900.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 5

Most read last week in this forum

... or as we say in German "Wie überwindet man seinen inneren Schweinehund?" About a year ago I decided to learn Spanish so I could survive better on Camino routes that were less travelled than...
I came across this in my daily reading and thought some might be interested. I was - very...
Having walked the St Francis route, Spain resonates with us. To celebrate becoming 75 years of age my wife and I wish to make a pilgrimage to Spain to participate in Easter Week religious...
OK, so, I’m going to be in Seville for La Féria and it’ll coincide with one of my birthdays. I’ve always said I was a lucky tinker. Now, can anyone tell me which is the worst bar / restaurant in...
For all planning to travel on May 1, 2023 -- In France and Spain May 1 is Labor day/ Fête de Travail/ Día del Trabajador . This is a public holiday and much will be closed. In 2023 it occurs on...

How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.