Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

La Plata in March 2022

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Year of past OR future Camino
That's my hopeful plan! I want to start from Merida because I need to take some side trips via taxi/bus from there before I start walking, and then side trips from Caceres when I get there, too. Being from Albuquerque, New Mexico, I need to visit Alburquerque in Espana, of course. That area of Extremadura bore many of the Spanish conquistadores (the good, the bad and the ugly) who came to what is now New Mexico in the early 1600s, so the history is interesting to me. Starting in late March. I only have a month, so will walk til I can't anymore.

Last edited:
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
That's my hopeful plan! I want to start from Merida because I need to take some side trips via taxi/bus from there before I start walking, and then side trips from Caceres when I get there, too. Being from Albuquerque, New Mexico, I need to visit Alburquerque, of course. That area of Extremadura bore many of the Spanish conquistadores (the good, the bad and the ugly) who were the first Europeans to come to my part of the world, so the history is interesting to me. Starting in late March. I only have a month, so will walk til I can't anymore.
I'm also kinda, sorta thinking about the VdLP for next Spring, since I don't think that I'll do a Camino this year. 😥

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
After this spring’s Caminho Nascente in Portugal, I’m hooked on the southern caminos! Not quite sure what next spring holds yet but the VdlP is high on my list.

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
That's my hopeful plan! I want to start from Merida because I need to take some side trips via taxi/bus from there before I start walking, and then side trips from Caceres when I get there, too. Being from Albuquerque, New Mexico, I need to visit Alburquerque, of course. That area of Extremadura bore many of the Spanish conquistadores (the good, the bad and the ugly) who were the first Europeans to come to my part of the world, so the history is interesting to me. Starting in late March. I only have a month, so will walk til I can't anymore.
Sounds great @JillGat
You’ll be en route during Semana Santa (10-17 April,2022) - So maybe worthwhile to get an idea where you could possibly be during that time / if it’s Salamanca for instance … the city may be booked up well in advance for that period. (Assuming of course, that it is not cancelled due to Covid ) - Spain makes this times so memorable and special. Even the smaller places do.

I hope your excursions/side trips work out and you find all you are searching for.

Buen camino
Annie

nathanael

Frances, Norte, Plata,
Merida is a great place to start I stayed three days cause I love the place.

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
I might see you! My plan is to leave for my group trip a few weeks early and walk more stages on the VDLP, which I’m trying to finish. I will pick up in Caceres, where I left off. Joe and I were forced to leave a few stages earlier last year because of Covid, but I had already walked those stages a few years back and left off in Caceres. It has been such a comedy of errors trying to finish this route that I told him I’m not going back and walk in any stages as I have already walked. He is on his own there! Lol.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Sounds great @JillGat
You’ll be en route during Semana Santa (10-17 April,2022) - So maybe worthwhile to get an idea where you could possibly be during that time / if it’s Salamanca for instance … the city may be booked up well in advance for that period. (Assuming of course, that it is not cancelled due to Covid ) - Spain makes this times so memorable and special. Even the smaller places do.

I hope your excursions/side trips work out and you find all you are searching for.

Buen camino
Annie
I figure not EVERY place will be full of people during Semana Santa. People have to leave from some places to create crowds in other places. I'm guessing the cities are where most people go, so yes, I'll plan around that.

Ad van Brunschot

2001: biking Netherlands to SdC
2019: walking VldP, Sevilla-Aljucen
2020: Aljucen-SdC
I will continue my VdlP last half of April 2022 at Aljucén. Due to family-circumstances I had to stop there at april 2020. Because of Covid 2021 didn't feel good to continue.

Portuguese (2019)
I have a flight booked with fingers crossed for next April. Flying into Porto...bus to Chaves and start walking to Verin and the southern Sanabres through Allariz to Santiago. I imagine that route is super quiet which is exactly what I am looking for.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
I figure not EVERY place will be full of people during Semana Santa.
Hi Jill
You can always avoid the action if you stay indoors. When I walked during this time in 2019 I stayed 2 nights in Mérida as it’s got so much to see. The evening procession was wonderful and large. . I found things were happening (mostly evening) even in small places too. . Eg in Aljucén (small place after Mérida) the townsfolk approached the Albergue to request pilgrims help carry the heavy ‘floats’ (I can’t think of the proper name) during their small procession. But it’s all voluntary to watch.
But for myself … it was something I might only get to witness once in my life in Spain - so I was happy to watch.. … it brings you closer to the locals too. I was out in 2 other evenings and saw 2 more after that Zafra and I forget the name of the other. I was in this region over Semana Santa so not sure what it’s like further north. I think you will be quite a lot further north.
Buen camino Jill

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings