• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

La Plata in March 2022

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
That's my hopeful plan! I want to start from Merida because I need to take some side trips via taxi/bus from there before I start walking, and then side trips from Caceres when I get there, too. Being from Albuquerque, New Mexico, I need to visit Alburquerque in Espana, of course. That area of Extremadura bore many of the Spanish conquistadores (the good, the bad and the ugly) who came to what is now New Mexico in the early 1600s, so the history is interesting to me. Starting in late March. I only have a month, so will walk til I can't anymore.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That's my hopeful plan! I want to start from Merida because I need to take some side trips via taxi/bus from there before I start walking, and then side trips from Caceres when I get there, too. Being from Albuquerque, New Mexico, I need to visit Alburquerque, of course. That area of Extremadura bore many of the Spanish conquistadores (the good, the bad and the ugly) who were the first Europeans to come to my part of the world, so the history is interesting to me. Starting in late March. I only have a month, so will walk til I can't anymore.
I'm also kinda, sorta thinking about the VdLP for next Spring, since I don't think that I'll do a Camino this year. 😥

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's my hopeful plan! I want to start from Merida because I need to take some side trips via taxi/bus from there before I start walking, and then side trips from Caceres when I get there, too. Being from Albuquerque, New Mexico, I need to visit Alburquerque, of course. That area of Extremadura bore many of the Spanish conquistadores (the good, the bad and the ugly) who were the first Europeans to come to my part of the world, so the history is interesting to me. Starting in late March. I only have a month, so will walk til I can't anymore.
Sounds great @JillGat
You’ll be en route during Semana Santa (10-17 April,2022) - So maybe worthwhile to get an idea where you could possibly be during that time / if it’s Salamanca for instance … the city may be booked up well in advance for that period. (Assuming of course, that it is not cancelled due to Covid ) - Spain makes this times so memorable and special. Even the smaller places do.

I hope your excursions/side trips work out and you find all you are searching for.

Buen camino
Annie

Merida is a great place to start I stayed three days cause I love the place.

I might see you! My plan is to leave for my group trip a few weeks early and walk more stages on the VDLP, which I’m trying to finish. I will pick up in Caceres, where I left off. Joe and I were forced to leave a few stages earlier last year because of Covid, but I had already walked those stages a few years back and left off in Caceres. It has been such a comedy of errors trying to finish this route that I told him I’m not going back and walk in any stages as I have already walked. He is on his own there! Lol.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sounds great @JillGat
You’ll be en route during Semana Santa (10-17 April,2022) - So maybe worthwhile to get an idea where you could possibly be during that time / if it’s Salamanca for instance … the city may be booked up well in advance for that period. (Assuming of course, that it is not cancelled due to Covid ) - Spain makes this times so memorable and special. Even the smaller places do.

I hope your excursions/side trips work out and you find all you are searching for.

Buen camino
Annie
I figure not EVERY place will be full of people during Semana Santa. People have to leave from some places to create crowds in other places. I'm guessing the cities are where most people go, so yes, I'll plan around that.

I will continue my VdlP last half of April 2022 at Aljucén. Due to family-circumstances I had to stop there at april 2020. Because of Covid 2021 didn't feel good to continue.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a flight booked with fingers crossed for next April. Flying into Porto...bus to Chaves and start walking to Verin and the southern Sanabres through Allariz to Santiago. I imagine that route is super quiet which is exactly what I am looking for.

I figure not EVERY place will be full of people during Semana Santa.
Hi Jill
You can always avoid the action if you stay indoors. When I walked during this time in 2019 I stayed 2 nights in Mérida as it’s got so much to see. The evening procession was wonderful and large. . I found things were happening (mostly evening) even in small places too. . Eg in Aljucén (small place after Mérida) the townsfolk approached the Albergue to request pilgrims help carry the heavy ‘floats’ (I can’t think of the proper name) during their small procession. But it’s all voluntary to watch.
But for myself … it was something I might only get to witness once in my life in Spain - so I was happy to watch.. … it brings you closer to the locals too. I was out in 2 other evenings and saw 2 more after that Zafra and I forget the name of the other. I was in this region over Semana Santa so not sure what it’s like further north. I think you will be quite a lot further north.
Buen camino Jill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's my hopeful plan! I want to start from Merida because I need to take some side trips via taxi/bus from there before I start walking, and then side trips from Caceres when I get there, too. Being from Albuquerque, New Mexico, I need to visit Alburquerque in Espana, of course. That area of Extremadura bore many of the Spanish conquistadores (the good, the bad and the ugly) who came to what is now New Mexico in the early 1600s, so the history is interesting to me. Starting in late March. I only have a month, so will walk til I can't anymore.
JillGat -

Are you still planning on the CdlP? We happen to be from ABQ, walked the CF last fall and are thinking of CdlP in Spring 2023. We'd like your thoughts if you're walking it.

Bruce

Hi Bruce!
No I had to postpone my VdLP, so may be walking it the same time you will be next year! I believe Gerald Kelly is updating his guidebook for the VdLP right now. I collected a lot of info. for my walk that I'd be happy to share with you, though probably best to wait and get info. from people who are walking it now. I'm going to be looking for that, too. Are you in Albuquerque now? I've walked the CF twice; once in the spring and once in the fall. I preferred the spring, with the green fields and lots of flowers! I've also walked the Portugues in the spring, which is a nice one, too. Cheers! Jill

Bruce, did you get this email from Gerald Kelly?

The 2022 edition of the Walking Guide to the Vía de la Plata is now available. The guide was fully updated in November / December 2021.

You can see where to buy the book on this page.

The Covid Situation

The situation in Spain and on the Vía is still unpredictable and many albergues are unsure of their plans for 2022. To make sure the most up-to-date and reliable information is available to pilgrims we've created an updates page on our website where we post information as we receive it. It's HERE.

For information about Covid restrictions and answers to Frequently Asked Questions page about Walking the Vía de la Plata. Click Frequently Asked Questions.

If you've any questions about the Caminos you can always contact us from our Contact Page.

Best wishes and Buen Camino!

Gerald Kelly

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?
Trail from Santiponce to Guillena is totally underwater. as was local road. Only option was highway that you can't walk on. Nice man gave us ride around for 15 euros.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.