• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

La Via di Francesco - steep increase in numbers

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My friend and I walked from Florence to Assisi to just past Reiti last spring. We barely saw anyone between Florence to La Verna. After La Verna we saw a few more pilgrims and then after Assisi it got “busy” - but nothing like the Camino de Santiago. We could still walk all day and only see one or two groups. However, we had to end our Camino earlier than we hoped as we could not find accommodations. I could not reach anyone listed on the lodging spreadsheet I had. I enlisted the aid of a friendly local (the pilgrim host in the village we were in) who called, texted and emailed and finally told me the only thing she could find was an agriturismo that was 15k off the trail. The issue was that these were tiny villages with no lodging other than one pilgrim house and that had been booked by a larger group. The infrastructure is nothing like the Camino de Santiago, but it is a beautiful Camino and a wonderful experience.

My friend and I walked from Florence to Assisi to just past Reiti last spring. We barely saw anyone between Florence to La Verna…
Thanks for the accommodation update after Assisi. I’m starting solo from Florence May 16th. I’ve read not to expect to meet many walkers before Assisi and I found this to be the same last year on the Via Francigena almost all the way to Rome, so I’m ok with this. Guess I’ll have to look at pre-booking accommodations after Assisi as things do look a bit thin in some areas. Didn’t want to do this, but this can happen sometimes. Cheers!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm planning to walk part of The Way of Saint Francis end of May from Spoleto to Assisi through Poreta, Trevi, Folligano and Spello following the stages listed in https://www.viadifrancesco.it/en/.

Greatly appreciate advice for baggage transfer, accommodation, sites-not-to-be-missed.

Many thanks in advice.

Hello fellow pilgrims!

My wife and I are planning on walking the Way of St. Francis from Florence to Assisi in June 2024. We're wondering if someone could provide some advice on 1) which guide to use and 2) daily cost of accommodation and meals.

Grazie mille!

Hello fellow pilgrims!

My wife and I are planning on walking the Way of St. Francis from Florence to Assisi in June 2024. We're wondering if someone could provide some advice on 1) which guide to use and 2) daily cost of accommodation and meals.

Grazie mille!
Check out @Elle Bieling's site here for lots of good info from La Verna to Assisi. (Full disclosure: I walked this section with Elle.) In planning, Elle used the Cicerone guide which may be the only one in English but I'm not sure.

Gronze now has a section on the Via di Francesco, though it is 'backwards' (i.e. starting in Rome) and only goes to La Verna. The official site mentioned above is also full of good information; in fact it's all I used in my very limited planning, although I had a super-planner with me for part of the way.

As you would have guessed from this post and others upthread, the Florence-La Verna part is more of an add-on to the pilgrimage, and probably only really exists because Florence is a convenient starting point and because the Cicerone guide covers it.

Costs in general are higher than on the camino in Spain; the resources I've linked to will give you a better idea of by how much.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
However, we had to end our Camino earlier than we hoped as we could not find accommodations. I could not reach anyone listed on the lodging spreadsheet I had.
Sorry to hear that but just to provide another view, this was not my experience -- for whatever it's worth. IIRC, I only had two days on the VdF from La Verna to Rome where accommodation was uncertain. One of them was because of the seasonal closure of a pilgrim hermitage, but after a couple of phone calls we found an Agriturismo nearby, and the other was because I wanted to walk longer than the standard stage but as I kept going I couldn't find any accommodation a half-stage further on and ended up having to walk two stages in one to reach what would otherwise have been the next day's accommodation.

Check out @Elle Bieling's site here for lots of good info from La Verna to Assisi. (Full disclosure: I walked this section with Elle.) In planning, Elle used the Cicerone guide which may be the only one in English but I'm not sure.

Gronze now has a section on the Via di Francesco, though it is 'backwards' (i.e. starting in Rome) and only goes to La Verna. The official site mentioned above is also full of good information; in fact it's all I used in my very limited planning, although I had a super-planner with me for part of the way.

As you would have guessed from this post and others upthread, the Florence-La Verna part is more of an add-on to the pilgrimage, and probably only really exists because Florence is a convenient starting point and because the Cicerone section covers it.

Costs in general are higher than on the camino in Spain; the resources I've linked to will give you a better idea of by how much.
Thanks, Jungleboy, for your reply and the resources. This is very helpful. Peace and every good.

Hello pilgrims!
I was wondering if anyone could answer the following question for me: Are there any luggage storage services in Assisi, similar to what exists in Santiago, Spain?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Via di Francesco goes from Rome to Assisi.
To clarify, there are two routes of the Via di Francesco:

- the northern route is from La Verna (with an extension as far as Florence) to Assisi
- the southern route is from Assisi to Rome

Both routes can be combined (making Assisi neither the start or end point, but instead in the middle), and both can be walked in either direction. I walked south from La Verna to Rome FWIW.

Hello fellow pilgrims!

Grazie mille!
Hi there, I used Forwalk web page. It is a great tool with maps, information about the different stages and a list of accommodation along the Way. It will tell you how far off the Camino an accommodation is. You can also check reviews and book your accommodation in advance comfortably using this guide https://app.forwalk.org/4/4/en-us/10/
2. The costs of sleeping and eating in Italy are more expensive than in Spain. Much depends on the choice of accommodation and whether you decide to eat at restaurants or shop at supermarkets
Hello fellow pilgrims!

Grazie mille!

I walked from Rome to Florence this fall- late September and early October. Most people were walking the opposite direction so we would see them around lunch time. There were more people from Assisi to Rome, but never more than 20 per day and after Assisi we would only see at most 10 per day. I think most pilgrims do this route earlier in the year which is why the numbers were low.
It is a beautiful route with a significant amount of off road walking. The towns along the way were wonderful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there, I used Forwalk web page. It is a great tool with maps, information about the different stages and a list of accommodation along the Way. It will tell you how far off the Camino an accommodation is. You can also check reviews and book your accommodation in advance comfortably using this guide https://app.forwalk.org/4/4/en-us/10/
2. The costs of sleeping and eating in Italy are more expensive than in Spain. Much depends on the choice of accommodation and whether you decide to eat at restaurants or shop at supermarkets
Wow, this is an amazing app! Thank you so much, Suyg!
I was wondering, when did you walk the Via Di Francesco, and what can you tell about your experience?
Also, do you know of any luggage storage in Assisi?

Thanks.

Wow, this is an amazing app! Thank you so much, Suyg!
I was wondering, when did you walk the Via Di Francesco, and what can you tell about your experience?
Also, do you know of any luggage storage in Assisi?

Thanks.
I walked the Via di Francesco in September (2023). The weather was perfect. I loved the landscapes, the charming old villages and the kindness of the people. Especially in the part from Florence to La Verna there are few pilgrims, the people are very hospitable and the landscapes are magnificent.
In Assisi there are various luggage storage facilities, you can find them here: https://usebounce.com/city/assisi

I walked the Via di Francesco in September (2023). The weather was perfect. I loved the landscapes, the charming old villages and the kindness of the people. Especially in the part from Florence to La Verna there are few pilgrims, the people are very hospitable and the landscapes are magnificent.
In Assisi there are various luggage storage facilities, you can find them here: https://usebounce.com/city/assisi
Thanks again for your reply and for sharing your experience of walking the Via Di Francesco. It is much appreciated.

Peace and every good

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.