• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lack of electrolytes – an issue on the Camino?

annelise

Time of past OR future Camino
Past
I have met several references (both in posts and also in various camino blogs) about the necessity of adding electrolytes to your intake on the camino – either on an occasional or regular basis.

A great number of persons seems to find this to be an important issue, so I finally googled and found that it seems to be something (some basic salts?) you will need to add to your food intake to keep your body functioning – in the form of some sports beverages?

I am still full of question marks – which beverages would these be? At which times? Any Spanish brands, we should seek out?

At the time, I always found that a café con leche was the perfect 'pick-me-up' solution to get me onwards, accompanied by dried fruit and salted nuts along the way (and regular meals).

But I also now wonder whether it would have been lack of additional electrolytes which made me feel so lethargic and low down about a week into the walk – I had no pains but to my surprise, I could hardly drag my feet to the close-by shop to get some provisions nor walk back. Maybe it was only my body telling to slow down for a bit.

It would be good if somebody might provide information and advise about this (electrolytes) – from a general but especially a camino point of view.

Kindest Annelise (Denmark)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi!

I bought sachets of some kind of powder from the chemist before I left home. They were to replace salts lost through sweating and combat cramps etc. Very light to carry and they're just mixed with tap water so no additional wasted plastic bottles. I can't remember the name unfortunately.

Buen Camino!

p.s. I think they were blackcurrant flavour and really quite nice!

This awareness of electrolytes is a very modern thing, I don't know much about it except that it is said that if you keep flooding your body with water in hot climates you leach them out and become ill - which says that water doesn't rehydrate you .... not sure how wild animals in hot climates feel about that.

When I was in the Merchant Navy a lifetime ago we were issued salt tablets when we entered the tropics. I saw a guy collapse once - he hadn't taken them and became a wreck. He was fined a days pay for not taking them and a days pay for each day he was ill.

You don't have to be afraid of salt - if you take too much your body gets thirsty, you drink, and the excess passes out of your system.
If you taste your sweat it is salty - or should be, beware if it isn't as you are in trouble.

Animals search out salt licks - I always take a lot of salt (sea salt) daily and have never had a problem.

Don't know if this helps ... :|

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No doubt electrolyte balance is an important issue about which to be aware, but simply taking in more salts (as table salt or in so-called sports drinks) needs to be done with caution. Excess salt can also have deleterious effects, both in the short and long term.

I normally take a couple of packets of a re-hydration mix in my medical kit in case I get diarrhoea, when fluid balance generally can be badly disrupted, but I didn't need to use them on the Camino. I didn't suffer muscle cramps or dizziness that might have indicated that I was getting too little salt either. If I had, I might have been tempted to add some more salt to my food.

I found that just straight water was sufficient for re-hydration, and I didn't need to resort to sports drinks or the like.

Regards,

Something tells me that pilgrims 500 years ago wouldn't have had electrolyte drinks :wink:
I'm sure we modern-day sorts will do fine without them too.
I would, however, advise drinking *enough* water. When we were in Cambodia, my daughter (then 10 years old) collapsed one morning in the market and lost her sight. We rushed her off to hospital and as well as being diagnosed with an "unidentifable Cambodian virus", she was severely dehydrated. We had been drinking, but not enough for the conditions. Obviously if you're sweating lots, you'll need to be drinking lots too. Our rule of thumb is that if you pee is not clear, you need to be drinking more.

Re: Re: Lack of electrolytes – an issue on the Camino?

Kiwi-family said:
Our rule of thumb is that if you pee is not clear, you need to be drinking more.

Thats a good rule of thumb. My wifes Urologist said the same thing. I have heard some people talk about the joys of not having to make frequent bathroom breaks due to perspiring so much. This is dangerous. You are in fact already dehydrated at this point and your body is conserving remaining water to handle your activity level.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kiwi-family said:
Something tells me that pilgrims 500 years ago wouldn't have had electrolyte drinks :wink:
I'm sure we modern-day sorts will do fine without them too.

I disagree with the logic that modern day advancements should be ignored if they are of benefit. If you live in a cold climate and you are walking in Spain when it is warmer you should consider use of electrolytes. What you have asked is really a medical issue. I suggest you seek face to face medical advice from someone qualified who can have a detailed discussion about you and your medical history.

As far as opinion is concerned: I would try electrolytes after strenuous exercise to see if you get a benefit from them. I moved from a cold dry climate to a hot humid climate and found them an essential recovery tool and to help overcome heat stress.

I would ignore 'sports' drinks unless you are very clear about their nutritional content. Sometimes the term 'sports' drink is simply marketing spin and the product contains no useful quantity of electrolyte content. Aquarius and iced tea are nice and certainly contain plenty of sugar which can give you a quick pick-me-up but I'm pretty sure neither contain electrolyte.

Electrolyte typically comes in powdered form in sachets or as dissolvable tablets. I have been happy with Gastrolyte and Hydralyte brands. Another thread in this forum http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-frances/topic8873.html#p54690 suggests Sueroral Hiposodico can be readily purchased in Spanish Pharmacias.

To emphasise, this is a medical issue. I am not a doctor. I suggest you seek medical advice from someone qualified.

It is an issue. I have encountered this situation myself. Water is not enough when the condition strikes. Normally it is not something that builds up over a number of days. It can hit in a few hours if it is hot and you are sweating.

Our experience has been that almost anything that provides salts and sugar works, of course with plenty of water. Usually we carry sweet and salty bars, PopTarts or the equivalent and have one for a midmorning and a midafternoon snack. Usually one of our water containers has a packet of electrolyte mix (any), and we will take a hit when needed. At times we have made our own mix, composed of a sugar based orange drink with table salt and lite (low sodium) salt added. You can find recipes on the internet.

I found that drinking the odd bottle of tonic water helped and the odd gin with it wasn't too bad either-I also carried electrolyte,also found I started having cravings for certain foods like eggs banana crisps ect. I lost so much weight while eating far more food than I would have at home,its was easy just to think that my tiredness was just down to the walking but learned to listen to my body.
Ian

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've written a bit about sports and fitness, and do a lot of long-distance running. Lots of good advice has been given. First, definitely talk to your doctor about electrolyte use. A lot depends on your health history, fitness, etc. Second, you definitely want to be hydrated while you walk. Check the color of your urine -- it should be pale. It's true if you drink too much, you can succumb to something called hyponatremia. But far more people are dehydrated than suffer from hyponatremia. If you're worried about electrolyte imbalance, you may want to buy some salt tablets to have on you, or have sports drinks. But if you eat well, hydrate and have some salty snacks during the day (if you sweat a lot and/or if it's extra hot), you should be fine.

I DO sweat a lot, and often alternate running and walking when I'm on the Camino, but I've never had to use sports drinks, salt tabs, electrolytes, etc. So I don't think it's a given, although it may help some people. Again, a lot depends on the details (your fitness, health history, the weather, etc.).

Melanie

Hi folks
I'm wondering if there is some physiological connection between being somewhat dehydrated due to exercise and not drinking sufficient water and feet swelling up? Some people have commented about needing to throw out their dearly beloved usual boots and buy a bigger size after a week on the camino in hot weather. I am trying to figure out if maybe you drink enough so your urine is pale, your feet won't swell? Otherwise I guess you need bigger boots, a selection of different sock options...
Mary

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi folks
I'm wondering if there is some physiological connection between being somewhat dehydrated due to exercise and not drinking sufficient water and feet swelling up? Some people have commented about needing to throw out their dearly beloved usual boots and buy a bigger size after a week on the camino in hot weather. I am trying to figure out if maybe you drink enough so your urine is pale, your feet won't swell? Otherwise I guess you need bigger boots, a selection of different sock options...
Mary
Good question Mary
I'm interested myself

Live on the Camino in Astorga; Camino #2:

I consistently meet people on the Camino Frances who wear hiking boots the same size or one-half size larger than street shoe size.

A simple truism is that you can compensate for a hiking boot/shoe that is one-half size too large with socks and different lacing techniques. But there is nearly nothing you can do for a hiking boot/shoe that is one-half size too small. This is likely the origin of some of the concerns posted above.

I always tell people to try to buy their boots one and one-half sizes larger, and to compensate for the apparent extra space with varied lacing techniques. You can easily go on You Tube and search for "how to lace hiking boots." It is amazing the number of different lacing methods there are.

I explain the extra room thusly: you need to add one-half size for two pairs of socks; one-half size for temperature and humidity induced swelling; and one-half size for the enlargement of most people's feet that comes after a week or do if daily walking with the added weight of a rucksack.

I am aware that every foot is different, and that every person's metabolism is different. But, my direct experience and observation through two Caminos in consecutive years indicates that this theory is more correct than not.

Finally, before settling on a specific brand or model of boot or shoe exercise "due diligence" and do a web search, including the manufacturer, to try to determine if the particular make and model you are interested in run; true to size, slightly large, or (as in my case) slightly smaller. My Keen Targhee II mid-height boots run one-half size smaller than listed according to the KeenKeen's web site. So I adjusted my size purchased UP by one size.

There is plenty of good advice on how to buy the correct sized footwear, and simply adding a size or size and a half to one's street shoes has to be the least effective way - use it only if you cannot get to a reputable retailer who can properly fit hiking footwear. Otherwise, get fitted late in the day after doing some walking, take the socks you will be using, and make sure there is sufficient room for your feet to expand and still not hit the front of the toe box.
At that point, don't be surprised if the size is one or a bit more larger than your street shoes.

Regards

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just to balance the discussion, my hiking boots are 1/2 size smaller than my usual shoe size. And I still used thick walking socks. No feet problems, great support for foot and arch, only one small blister on little toe.
Not telling others to do the same.
Just reinforcing that you should do what works for you.

Tim, I agree that boot sizes are very personal as to what fits/works on the Camino ad much depend on the make and also the socks worn as well as the time of year...........
Returning to the original topic there is a more recent thread about the need for salt/electrolytes here in Miscellaneous topics.

I'm going to bring some electrolyte tablets with sodium, potassium, magnesium and a few other things. I read that as you get older, and I'm 68, your body handles electrolytes differently. Since I plan to eat just light snacks while walking, I will not be getting electrolytes that way.

My first long walk last Sunday in the Texas heat, I drank 3 liters of plain water and ran out the last few miles. I drank orange juice on the trip back home but got terrible leg cramps until I was able to eat 2 bananas and a couple of glasses of a WHO rehydration recipe I found on the internet. This was not a pleasant experience.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm going to bring some electrolyte tablets with sodium, potassium, magnesium and a few other things. I read that as you get older, and I'm 68, your body handles electrolytes differently. Since I plan to eat just light snacks while walking, I will not be getting electrolytes that way.

My first long walk last Sunday in the Texas heat, I drank 3 liters of plain water and ran out the last few miles. I drank orange juice on the trip back home but got terrible leg cramps until I was able to eat 2 bananas and a couple of glasses of a WHO rehydration recipe I found on the internet. This was not a pleasant experience.

The drink Aquarius found in the stores and bars helped me with cramps while on the Camino. When I found out about them, I then drank a can everyday. All natural drink with minerals.

We take Diarolyte sachets from the UK (mix up to 200mls). The Spanish sachets we have used are 'Casen Sueroral' (mix up to 1 lt) - both replace essential salts etc. We also eat bananas. This last Camino we found that we needed the drinks many afternoons so were mixing up one of the the Spanish sachets between us. We also have found that we have needed the salts/bananas/a lick of salt for several days since arriving home, otherwise we were getting cramp at night.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As regards the discussion on electrolytes, yes, they are vitally important. Just drinking water, even a lot of it, can cause problems. The essential mineral salts, or electrolytes are vital to cell health and replication. Without the salts, you can actually die from drinking too much plain water, sans the electrolytes, if your body is under a lot of heat or activity stress.

I use two products that I can recommend. In powdered individual serving "tubes" like instant coffee singles, is a product made by the Tang people. It is called "Tang Sport" comes in a berry flavor and has electrolytes. I found my supply on the internet as it was not available locally. I customarily mix one .5 liter water bottle with this product PLUS my required protein supplement powder. This solution is usually consumed before noon each day. The bottle is rinsed and refilled with plain water at the next cafe or potable water opportunity. Even when you just put the tube of Tang Sport into water, the result is a VERY sweet tasting electrolyte solution. I have often felt that one tube could make a larger bottle of solution, perhaps up to 750 ml.

The second product is better used while walking. Camelback (the water bladder folks) make a line of electrolyte tablets. You simply add one to a .5 liter bottle of water. I find I have to crack them in two - they are scored for this - to get them into the bottle neck. Wait for it to effervesce (like Alka Seltzer) until dissolved, then drink it. It is a lemon-lime flavor and tastes slightly salty. I customarily carry the tablets (they come in a waterproof tube) in one of my rucksack pockets. If I feel the need, I usually have one of these a couple of hours after the first, Tang drink. Again, after consuming this solution, the bottle is rinsed and refilled with plain water at the next safe opportunity. I obtain these tablets at my local REI outdoor sports shop. I have also seen them in runner's shops.

I find that one tube of Camelback tablets last a full month, as I do not use it every day. However, were I walking during the summer, I might bring two tubes. As regards the Tang Sport product, I allocate one single serving per day while walking and none on rest days. The individual tubes of powdered solution weight a few grams each. I carry my supply in a snack sized Ziplock bag.

I hope this helps.

The drink Aquarius found in the stores and bars helped me with cramps while on the Camino. When I found out about them, I then drank a can everyday. All natural drink with minerals.
Aquarius and the new alternative will cost you a fortune. In a bar a small bottle can set you back 1.50€, if you are lucky you will pay that for a can. In towns where threre are supermarkets you can find, for the same price, a 1.5l. Bottle. In my opinion, you are much better off with effervescent capsules that you cam use wether or not you are near a bar.

Lot of good ideas shared. I tried to get Aquarius mix since we don't have it bottled here, but the manufacturer won't send it to US. But now I have a t least 3 names of electrolyte products I know are sold in Spain. I'll see about Camelback's tablets if I decide to go the Camino Frances instead of the Sanabres from Vdlp since water stops are far apart. Amazed at how much I never considered and am learning about on this forum.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anemone, is there an effervescent capsule you prefer?
My accupuncturist recommended Zym. They come in a version with and another withiout caffeine. But I have alsi bought Nuun ang Gu Brew. Not sure what the difference is between them other than Zym being difficult to find where I live so I have replaced them by the other two. 1 tablet goes in 3 cups of water. I normally take 2 or 3 a day, depending on how much sweating I've done. On my first Camino I got to a point of not being able to take 3 steps in a row after 20 km per day. Never happened since, but after that incident I discovered electrolytes. Are they the solutions? I like o think so ☺️

I recall seeing electrolyte powders and tablets at more than one Decathlon stores. I do not recall the brand, but this is not rocket science. Check the running supply aisle first I think. Then I would simply ask a store employee.

The Spanish word for electrolyte is "electrólito." (e-lek-tro-lee-toe).

Electrolyte tablets = tabletas de electrolitos​

Electrolyte powder = polvo de electrolito
There are Decathlon stores near Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada, and Santiago.

Also, try asking at any farmacia. The pharmacist should be able to recommend something that will work for you.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
T2andreo, thanks for increasing my Spanish vocabulary. It will be interesting how much my Spanish should improve after trying to negotiate all the different issues I might encounter. Seems like a great way of learning a language. Wish I could stay longer. Now if only I could do my family tree back 5000 years.

We found that the first type of powders the Spanish farmacia was going to sell us were 'sports' type with sweeteners and not suitable. The Casero brand was just right. Also if you are allergic to Aspartame this brand does not (at present) have it as a sweetener but is a balance of salts (potassium etc) and glucose.

Ah HA! So they ARE available at farmacias. I thought they might be. Thanks for weighing in.

For people who do not like the sweetener, one trick I found is to increase the dilution factor. In other words, instead of adding a packet to (for example) a .5 liter bottle of water, as the directions might indicate, add it to a one-liter bottle of water. Of course, vary this to taste.

You need to drink the extra water anyway. So, adding to same amount of electrolyte powder to a larger volume of water still nets you the same benefit, you just need to drink more water to get it. But, you likely need to drink that much more water anyway.

I hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe a medical person could help with explaining why "isotonic" solutions are best. My understanding is that the best absorbed drinks are the same concentration of salts and carbs as the cells in our body. So diluting a sports drink may get the taste right but the salt concentration will be off. Here's a quote from an aricle I found:
"Years of research have suggested that the correct concentration of carbohydrate in your drink is about 5 to 7%. Most commercial sports drinks fall within this range, and you can make your own 6% drink by mixing five tablespoons of table sugar with each litre of water that you use. A bit of sodium boosts absorption; one-third teaspoon of salt per litre of water is about right. Although 5 to 7% carbohydrate solutions seem to work best for most individuals, there is evidence that some endurance athletes can fare better with higher concentrations. In research carried out at Liverpool John Moores University, for example, cyclists who ingested a 15% maltodextrin solution improved their endurance by 30 per cent compared to individuals who used a 5% glucose drink. The 15% drink also drained from the stomach as quickly as the 5% one, though many other studies have linked such concentrated drinks with a slowdown in water movement."

Bottom line, the recommendation is that most people exercising for more than 2 hours would do best with isotonic solutions but some athletes might be able to tolerate higher carb concentrations.

Good point,Anniesantiago. Found an article on foods to replace the electrolytes and minerals lost in exercising. Looks like I'm already eating these foods. Maybe just have to up my intake.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My nutricionist also adivsed me to be careful not to eat too much food with fibres ( muesli, mueslibars ) because when in combination with the fluids and heat it really can upset stomach/bowel movements. Bananas for energy and at end of walk a soyadrink with cocoa were better alternatives. Works for me.

On my caminos be it during warm or cooler temps,I drink Aquarius,water,take my morning daily tab of Magnesium Effervescent that dissolves in water, and I am well hydrated and do not get the muscle cramping and fatigue feeling. Works for me,and I know that in 1-1/2 hr intervals I am needing to urinate ,which means one is well hydrated.

This issue of hydration especially if someone is not used to prolonged physical exercise. For those who are they know what to expect from their bodies on normal conditions. If you don't know what is normal for you, it is hard to evaluate advice and can even be dangerous.

I regularly cycle with a friend which will drink, on the same distance, a bit more than half of what I drink. The quantities we need to keep a good level of hydration are very different.
I've also never had a cramp, but I see people who are fitter than me having them all the time.

These are good reminders to know what suits you.

I sweat a lot and drink a lot of water. Despite this I don't feel the need to pee very frequently, so I am commonly checking that my urine is darker than it should. I am still gaining the habit of drinking even when I'm not thirsty. Listening to your body is a good advice, but it doesn't always work well. Not feeling thirsty despite needing hydration is a common claim.
On longer rides or walks, I prefer to include some "isotonic" drink. I've tried a few, even homemade, and can't say which is better.
Because I drink allot I get fed up of just tasting water, so its easier to drink more if I alternate with something with flavor. The electrolytes are supposed to aid hydration, they must be working because I'm less likely to have darker urine when I use them. I do feel that I have less drops in energy, this is probably the blood sugar level being topped up every so often.
I do eat some snacks also, to get proper slow energy releasing carbohydrates.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't think it's necessary to go for a specific product name. All pharmacies sell sachets of electrolyte powders. These are used very regularly all over the world when treating infants ( and adults) who present chronic diarrhea. We bring them with us from Costa Rica. No specific brand!

I have met several references (both in posts and also in various camino blogs) about the necessity of adding electrolytes to your intake on the camino – either on an occasional or regular basis.

A great number of persons seems to find this to be an important issue, so I finally googled and found that it seems to be something (some basic salts?) you will need to add to your food intake to keep your body functioning – in the form of some sports beverages?

I am still full of question marks – which beverages would these be? At which times? Any Spanish brands, we should seek out?

At the time, I always found that a café con leche was the perfect 'pick-me-up' solution to get me onwards, accompanied by dried fruit and salted nuts along the way (and regular meals).

But I also now wonder whether it would have been lack of additional electrolytes which made me feel so lethargic and low down about a week into the walk – I had no pains but to my surprise, I could hardly drag my feet to the close-by shop to get some provisions nor walk back. Maybe it was only my body telling to slow down for a bit.

It would be good if somebody might provide information and advise about this (electrolytes) – from a general but especially a camino point of view.

Kindest Annelise (Denmark)

My wife and I struggled with electrolyte loss on the Camino. We were lethargic, tired, had muscle cramps. A friendly alburgue hospilataro suggested that we get something from the pharmacy and provided a name of a brand. Though the name didn't help, asking for electrolytes at the pharmacy was the key. Most spoke English and this made a huge difference in our days. Mid morning we would fill a water bottle and add the mix (purchased in separate packets). It would last the day. We became quite popular with our fellow pilgrims and others found adding this to their daily routine made a big difference in how they felt. So, I don't have any scientific proof, but I am sold on needing this for longer duration hikes. We walked the Camino in June of 2014. Dave and Christa Snyder

I think I'm simply echoing what others have said already. The first time I walked I did suffer from cramps. Not like a normal leg cramp but in my hands first... Almost locking in a strange way. I had no idea that this could be a problem but asked my husband (at home) if he could research.

I was silly really as I had my parathyroids removed, so calcium is an issue for me, but within a day... Half a day... My legs and joints were really stiffening up. Luckily another pilgrim gave me a couple of the powder sachets and I ate lots of nuts and dried fruit and yoghurt and honestly with about 30 minutes things improved massively.

I bought some sachets at the next pharmacy and checked with my doc when I got home... It can be very serious So now I know to take extra precautions.

I would say don't buy a product stuffed with lots of sugar or caffeine... They give you the wrong kind of lift (unless that's what you want).

Have a great walk :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@annelise:

I always bring a electrolytes .
As you´re Danish go to your local healthfood store and get trace mineral drops.
( Natur Drogeriet: Spormineral dråber, ½ tsk i et glas vand, smager Badr, men giver dig salt uden natrium).
I used to take drops at least every two day, as I sweat a lot and walk fast. The last stretch into Santiago I totally forgot. I had two days with lack of water intake/ dehydration, and I felt sick. I even forgot my neck purse two times in one day.....
Buen Camino.

@Stivandrer its a while since @annelise posed this question, indeed she has not been back to the forum for a year now. Though I'm sure your suggested product will be helpful to Danish pilgrims who can track it down ;)

For all members, it is worth checking the age of posts before responding.

..saw that just now, it´s from ´12 !!

I blame my fading faculties !!!!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Stivandrer its a while since @annelise posed this question, indeed she has not been back to the forum for a year now. Though I'm sure your suggested product will be helpful to Danish pilgrims who can track it down ;)

For all members, it is worth checking the age of posts before responding.

Hi Tincatinker,

I have noted the dates on the above posts and realize most are old. I "think" I read each and every one because I have just recently had an episode that made someone ask me if I was getting enough electrolytes. I was standing for the Lord's Prayer in church and everything went fuzzy and I "nearly" passed out right then and there. I leave May 31st for my first pilgrimage from St. Jean. I have been training (mostly hiking) and I drink plenty of water. My urine is clear so water is not an issue. One thing I did not read (or missed) is "how often" should electrolytes be taken. If there is an issue, is it a daily regimen? Or just when you feel like it's needed. I suppose I should ask my doctor before leaving but I am just curious as to how often. I'm sure a few packets to add to water won't weigh anything (which I've said about each and everything going into my backpack :(). I don't like sports drinks but I guess it's better than passing out or being up all night with cramps. Any new advice on this subject, or a new link to go to that I haven't seen? Thanks for any info.

@bbates225 in my field experience and limited knowledge it is extremely unlikely to the point of improbability that your 'nearly' passing-out while standing in church had anything even remotely to do with electrolyte levels unless you were a) extremely de-hydrated, or b) hyponatremic from drinking excessive amounts of water.

Please consult a medical practitioner, not this forum.

@bbates225 in my field experience and limited knowledge it is extremely unlikely to the point of improbability that your 'nearly' passing-out while standing in church had anything even remotely to do with electrolyte levels unless you were a) extremely de-hydrated, or b) hyponatremic from drinking excessive amounts of water.

Please consult a medical practitioner, not this forum.

I really wasn't asking for medical advice from this forum. Sorry if it appeared that way. I am smart enough to know better. I just noted how electrolytes even became a question for me by a friend's question. Was just curious as to how often electrolytes are taken when they are taken. Guess I should have left it alone... :oops:. I usually get friendly answers, not terse remarks. Thanks anyway.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That must have been a worrying experience but if you were in a church service it is probable that you had been standing, sitting, standing, kneeling, standing, kneeling and so on - I have had a similar experience. You should really get checked out by your doctor if you are concerned but what it sounds like is the normal thing that happens when we stand up too quickly and the blood drains away from the head.

Re 'sports drinks' - stay away from them! They are full of sugar and therefore play havoc with your blood glucose system.

As for electroylite replenishment ... well, with a 'normal' lifestyle in moderate temperatures and a balanced diet you shouldn't need them but if you are doing something like a Camino in summer where you are walking all day with a pack and drinking copious amounts of water then two or three Dioralite sachets a day will keep your system in balance. The main problem is leaching out salt and without salt we collapse, so never be afraid to add salt to food - I say this about healthy individuals, those with medical conditions should take advice.

I say again about sports drinks - this is clever marketing hype .. read the labels and you will find that they are actually sugar drinks that give a short term glucose spike .. but twenty minutes later your glucose levels are lower than when you drank it. Not only that but the body releases insulin to try and control the sugar spike - do that for a few years and you will develop insulin resistance and then diabetes 11 - so never drink any sugar drink - the same goes for 'sports bars' - they are just sugar bars and have no health or sports benefits whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino.

I have 20 years of backpacking experience. Real backpacking. Not walking Camino trails. I've never used electrolyte packets. This includes a 20 day trek through the Himalayas in extreme heat and altitudes of 23,000ft. The secret was drinking a lot of water, being in excellent physical shape, trail mix with salty nuts and fruits, and eating a balanced meal (with salt added) that didn't involve dehydrating with alcohol. After reading literally dozens and dozens of posts by people on this forum who claim to only take a small bottle of water to refill through out the day, I'm convinced that most of the issues is simple dehydration. The early symptoms of which are simply unknown to them because of the sheer inexperience of real exercise in their lives prior to the Camino. Older pilgrims have to be even more careful of this.
There are times when electrolytes are used by extreme athletes. The Camino, as many of you have pointed out, is just a walk. Stay well hydrated (alcohol is not the way to do that) during the day. Don't be afraid to drink 2-3 liters of water when it's hot out.
Take your electrolyte sachets. Use them if you think you need them. But consult your physicians before you leave if you are older and have any sort of blood pressure or heart issues.
I don't care if you disregard my advice. It's given freely and no "likes" are expected or needed :)
Safe travels to all.

Last edited:
Like the man said, start with the doctor, any issues from low blood pressure to lack of sleep.
I only take electrolytes with me with when I know I will excert too much & and will be prone to sweat excessively over a period of time.
As experience have told me..
On a normal day to day you don´t normally need extra trace minerals....
And was your incident a single or a recurring event !??
See your GP soon !

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nice post AlaskaD - I don't think happy pilgrims need the sachets .. only if they are finding themselves weak and/or dizzy or have diarrhoea. A lot of folk out there in summer do not have outdoorsy bodies, they are just not used to it. And they can be drinking a lot of wine in the evenings, and eating bland and overcooked pilgrim meals .... then drinking vast amounts of water ... this can lead to imbalances that have them feeling weaker instead of stronger from the exercise and in those situations I offer the sachets.

Many electrolyte replenishment preparations contain Sorbitol an artificial sweetener that has a marked laxative effect . A large dose each day to combat dehydration may in fact lead to further loss of fluid and essential minerals through the resultant loose stools / diarrhoea .
If cramps are a real problem they can be treated and prevented by drinking naturally sweetened Tonic water , this is often used to combat the debilitating cramps sufferers of Multiple Sclerosis endure .

That must have been a worrying experience but if you were in a church service it is probable that you had been standing, sitting, standing, kneeling, standing, kneeling and so on - I have had a similar experience. You should really get checked out by your doctor if you are concerned but what it sounds like is the normal thing that happens when we stand up too quickly and the blood drains away from the head.

Re 'sports drinks' - stay away from them! They are full of sugar and therefore play havoc with your blood glucose system.

As for electroylite replenishment ... well, with a 'normal' lifestyle in moderate temperatures and a balanced diet you shouldn't need them but if you are doing something like a Camino in summer where you are walking all day with a pack and drinking copious amounts of water then two or three Dioralite sachets a day will keep your system in balance. The main problem is leaching out salt and without salt we collapse, so never be afraid to add salt to food - I say this about healthy individuals, those with medical conditions should take advice.

I say again about sports drinks - this is clever marketing hype .. read the labels and you will find that they are actually sugar drinks that give a short term glucose spike .. but twenty minutes later your glucose levels are lower than when you drank it. Not only that but the body releases insulin to try and control the sugar spike - do that for a few years and you will develop insulin resistance and then diabetes 11 - so never drink any sugar drink - the same goes for 'sports bars' - they are just sugar bars and have no health or sports benefits whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino.

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I don't do sport drinks, soda's like Coke, etc. (sweetened or diet) or fruit juices for the most part. I just don't want the sugar. The incident was a little scary but isolated. I was tired and as you said, there was a lot of getting up and sitting down. The thing is... and this is what I was trying to explain, I hadn't even considered electrolytes until a friend asked about that possibility. That's why I was checking on the forum in the first place, just to see what others say about electrolytes. I take 25 mg. a day of blood pressure medicine but am otherwise very healthy. I eat a vegan diet (going to be hard on the Camino, I know) drink only water, tea, minimal coffee (one or two cups a week) and one or two glasses of red wine in the evening. Have been given a clean bill of health by my doctor for the Camino. My question was more research than anything wondering if I should consider bringing some sachets of electrolytes for an emergency. I believe I will, but not because of my "incident" but because it will be hot and I will drink lots of water. Thanks again for the great advice.

I have 20 years of backpacking experience. Real backpacking. Not walking Camino trails. I've never used electrolyte packets. This includes a 20 day trek through the Himalayas in extreme heat and altitudes of 23,000ft. The secret was drinking a lot of water, being in excellent physical shape, trail mix with salty nuts and fruits, and eating a balanced meal (with salt added) that didn't involve dehydrating with alcohol. After reading literally dozens and dozens of posts by people on this forum who claim to only take a small bottle of water to refill through out the day, I'm convinced that most of the issues is simple dehydration. The early symptoms of which are simply unknown to them because of the sheer inexperience of real exercise in their lives prior to the Camino. Older pilgrims have to be even more careful of this.
There are times when electrolytes are used by extreme athletes. The Camino, as many of you have pointed out, is just a walk. Stay well hydrated (alcohol is not the way to do that) during the day. Don't be afraid to drink 2-3 liters of water when it's hot out.
Take your electrolyte sachets. Use them if you think you need them. But consult your physicians before you leave if you are older and have any sort of blood pressure or heart issues.
I don't care if you disregard my advice. It's given freely and no "likes" are expected or needed :)
Safe travels to all.

Alaskadiver, your advice is too good to disregard. If I hadn't been interested about this subject I wouldn't have asked the question. It wasn't for medical advice. My physician has already given me a clean bill of health. I just haven't ever taken or needed electrolytes before other than what are in "Smart" water. I'm not an extreme athlete but I walk (and drink water) a lot. I feel confident that I won't have a problem... I just like to be prepared for the unexpected. Thanks for your reply.

Like the man said, start with the doctor, any issues from low blood pressure to lack of sleep.
I only take electrolytes with me with when I know I will excert too much & and sweat excessively over a period of time.
As experience have told me..
On a normal day to day you don´t normally need extra trace minerals....
And was your incident a single or a recurring event !??
See your GP soon !

My incident was a isolated one. I believe my BP may have dropped quickly. After going home and resting I was fine, and still am. It's just that the "incident" made a worried friend who knows I'm usually very healthy ask about electrolytes. I thought the question was worth finding answers to. My doctor says I'm find so that's the important thing. Thanks for your reply.

Nice post AlaskaD - I don't think happy pilgrims need the sachets .. only if they are finding themselves weak and/or dizzy or have diarrhoea. A lot of folk out there in summer do not have outdoorsy bodies, they are just not used to it. And they can be drinking a lot of wine in the evenings, and eating bland and overcooked pilgrim meals .... then drinking vast amounts of water ... this can lead to imbalances that have them feeling weaker instead of stronger from the exercise and in those situations I offer the sachets.

Thanks again David... this is really the kind of info I was looking for. More of "what can I expect under certain circumstances" as you state above. I consider myself healthy but the good Lord knows I am not perfect ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many electrolyte replenishment preparations contain Sorbitol an artificial sweetener that has a marked laxative effect . A large dose each day to combat dehydration may in fact lead to further loss of fluid and essential minerals through the resultant loose stools / diarrhoea .
If cramps are a real problem they can be treated and prevented by drinking naturally sweetened Tonic water , this is often used to combat the debilitating cramps sufferers of Multiple Sclerosis endure .

Thanks Charles... this is good info because what you say about Sorbitol is exactly why I don't use artificial sweeteners. Was not aware of the Tonic Water for cramps. There are times when I get them in my calves in the middle of the night and my first thought is "more bananas" :) Thanks again.

On my caminos be it during warm or cooler temps,I drink Aquarius,water,take my morning daily tab of Magnesium Effervescent that dissolves in water, and I am well hydrated and do not get the muscle cramping and fatigue feeling. Works for me,and I know that in 1-1/2 hr intervals I am needing to urinate ,which means one is well hydrated.
Where do you buy the Magnesium Effervescent tablets?

No doubt electrolyte balance is an important issue about which to be aware, but simply taking in more salts (as table salt or in so-called sports drinks) needs to be done with caution. Excess salt can also have deleterious effects, both in the short and long term.

I normally take a couple of packets of a re-hydration mix in my medical kit in case I get diarrhoea, when fluid balance generally can be badly disrupted, but I didn't need to use them on the Camino. I didn't suffer muscle cramps or dizziness that might have indicated that I was getting too little salt either. If I had, I might have been tempted to add some more salt to my food.

I found that just straight water was sufficient for re-hydration, and I didn't need to resort to sports drinks or the like.

Regards,

I agree with this. It depends on how
Much you sweat and your size. If it's only necessary to have about 1 electolite drink per day.
Everything in moderation, yet again, I guess.

Last edited:
On the Camino I did not use electrolytes tabs or solutions. I carried 2-3 litres of water in a bladder depending on the day plus topped up a small bottle of water on the go whenever the opportunity arose. Whenever I stopped at a bar and I was actually thirsty (which means you are about 3% dehydrated) I would get an Aquarius first. Then I would have my cafe con leche con hielo since it was mid summer and that way got extra water on board. I normally don't sweeten my coffee but I did on the camino. One of the byproducts of sugar metabolism is water and the extra calories were not unwelcome. I salted my meals so my sodium was fine. Potassium you can get from fruit eg bananas and tomatoes. I came across pilgrims taking magnesium supplements. Now magnesium and calcium tend to go together and if your Mg is low your calcium can play up if you are that way inclined. I tend to munch on dried fruit which is rich in both. Just be aware of the fibre content otherwise your gut may not thank you. If you are are really struggling with cramps, throw a handful of Epsom salts into a bath and soak in that. You do actually absorb Mg that way too.
I did an Oxfam Trailwalker last year (100 km within 48 hours) and used electrolyte tabs in my water bladder. Every time I filled up the bladder I would use the tabs. You are walking considerably faster and further so there is more stress on the body and your gut tends to shut down a bit so you don't eat nearly as much as you think you will and you can't rely on food sources as much. So the tabs were very useful.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908954/table/T5/ This table matches water requirement to caloric expenditure. As a female between 31-50 years needing roughly 2000 kcal of energy per day normally I would have to drink 2.7 litres of water. However on the Camino I actually double my caloric intake just to keep my weight stable suggesting that I need at least 5.4 l per day as a minimum. So you will need that much water at least. Whatever extra fluid I need in order to get my urine clear (because if it is not clear then I'm dehydrated) tends to be in the form of Aquarius as that is isotonic.

Depends on who you ask.
I have never added anything to my water on the Camino.
I prefer my food and water without additives, when possible.
I doubt most pilgrims up until maybe the last few years, ever heard of electrolytes.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.