• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lactose Intolerant on the Camino

BamaVol

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning our first for May (2016)
I can't digest dairy products. I can get by in restaurants at home by scanning menus or requesting that the cheese be left off a sandwich or asking for the grill to be cleaned of butter before they fry my eggs. In a pinch, I can eat any meal listed as vegan, although I have no need to avoid eggs, meat or fish. Does anyone have any experience avoiding dairy in restaurants along the Way?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry, no experience with lactose, but I think it would be pretty simple.
Also, the food in Spain is much cleaner than the food we have here in the USA.
I'm intolerant of wheat here, but can eat all I want in Spain.

Anyway, I think if you are careful, you will be just fine.
Most of the pilgrim plates are choices of ensalada mixta or macaroni (I'd avoid the macaroni unless it is a red sauce), some type of meat (no milk there) or fish (ditto), and a vegetable.
If you do a little research on menu items in Spanish you shouldn't have much trouble.

Sorry, no experience with lactose, but I think it would be pretty simple.
Also, the food in Spain is much cleaner than the food we have here in the USA.
I'm intolerant of wheat here, but can eat all I want in Spain.

Anyway, I think if you are careful, you will be just fine.
Most of the pilgrim plates are choices of ensalada mixta or macaroni (I'd avoid the macaroni unless it is a red sauce), some type of meat (no milk there) or fish (ditto), and a vegetable.
If you do a little research on menu items in Spanish you shouldn't have much trouble.

Thanks for the encouragement. It's a shame to miss some of the culinary highlights of the trip but better safe than sorry. I feel so much better since I was correctly diagnosed. My body is simply unable to digest the lactose that is naturally found in dairy products. But there are days when I am tempted by a slice of pizza. Non-dairy cheese is yucky. There are okay substitutes for most everything else - lactose free milk, yogurt, ice cream.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I can't digest dairy products. I can get by in restaurants at home by scanning menus or requesting that the cheese be left off a sandwich or asking for the grill to be cleaned of butter before they fry my eggs. In a pinch, I can eat any meal listed as vegan, although I have no need to avoid eggs, meat or fish. Does anyone have any experience avoiding dairy in restaurants along the Way?

Pity you will have to pass on the cafe con leche, but at least know that olive oil is the oil/grease of choice, not butter, so that will make things easier. I remember asking someone how many liters of oil he would go through in a year (single male) and he said 15!!!!!

You will not see meals listed as being vegan, but pork a la plancha, seved with fried potatoes and a bit of tomato being your typical pilgrim meal, you'll be ok. Same with espageti. Desert will be trickier as flan is made with milk (sorry you'll miss that), and yogourt is often offered, but so is fresh fruit. As for sandwiches (aka bocadillos) they seldom have anything in them other than the protein you have chosen: no butter, no nothing ;0) so easy to eat, if you can manage to eat that dry stale bread found in so many places.

Tarta de Santiago: any milk in there? Soooo gooood... I hope for you it does not.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pity you will have to pass on the cafe con leche, but at least know that olive oil is the oil/grease of choice, not butter, so that will make things easier. I remember asking someone how many liters of oil he would go through in a year (single male) and he said 15!!!!!

You will not see meals listed as being vegan, but pork a la plancha, seved with fried potatoes and a bit of tomato being your typical pilgrim meal, you'll be ok. Same with espageti. Desert will be trickier as flan is made with milk (sorry you'll miss that), and yogourt is often offered, but so is fresh fruit. As for sandwiches (aka bocadillos) they seldom have anything in them other than the protein you have chosen: no butter, no nothing ;0) so easy to eat, if you can manage to eat that dry stale bread found in so many places.

Tarta de Santiago: any milk in there? Soooo gooood... I hope for you it does not.

Thanks for your response. I am comfortable I can survive. You've made it sound like I actually might enjoy a few meals. We subsist on fruit vegetables and some fish and chicken at home. My wife makes up for all the dairy I don't eat with cheese and daily yogurt.

I suggest you try a cafe con leche before your journey starts. As you know most Asians are lactose intolerant too and I grew up with reconstituted milk. I noticed that the milk they use in Spain are that judging from the square packaging of the milk and the fact that they don't need to be refrigerated. I may have built up some tolerance to lactose over the years that I don't know. No problem for me. Still it is best for you to test it in a controlled environment when you get to Spain. If it is okay and if they use the same milk all their dairy products, then you might actually have a even better time in terms of choices of food there. I said that also because I noticed the cold section in the supermarket are mainly for cheese and yogurt while the milk are all outside the fridge area.

I suggest you try a cafe con leche before your journey starts. As you know most Asians are lactose intolerant too and I grew up with reconstituted milk. I noticed that the milk they use in Spain are that judging from the square packaging of the milk and the fact that they don't need to be refrigerated.
UHT milk is not reconstituted milk but milk heated to Ultra High Temperatures, and increased temperature does not have an effect on lactose.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
UHT milk is not reconstituted milk but milk heated to Ultra High Temperatures, and increased temperature does not have an effect on lactose.

Thanks. I will avoid all milk unless I see a clear indication on the container that it is lactose free. Lactose intolerance is common in places where dairy products are seldom consumed, like in many parts of Asia. In places like the Netherlands or Wisconsin :) it would be much more uncommon. I was unsure about Spain's love for dairy.

There are lactase pills (the enzyme my body forgot how to make) I can take but it's hit or miss for me. It's one thing when you can read a box label or read a menu, quite another when the menus are in another language or someone just places a plate of food in front of you.

I will compile a list of safe foods before I leave and try to stick to what I know to be safe.

Also consider carrying a card that reads, in Spanish: "I am highly allergic to all kinds of milk and milk products. Can you please help me with my food selection?"

Something on the lines of "Soy muy alérgico a leche y productos lácteos. ¿Me puede ayudar, por favor con mi selección de alimentos? "

Hope that helps, SY

Butter is rarely used as a grease for cooking in Spain. Usually, the grease used is olive oil although you may find places along the route using sunflower oil because it's cheaper. You find cheese on pizzas and some pasta dishes but otherwise you aren't too likely to find dishes including cheese (maybe the main exception would be meat with cheese sauce)... Avoid anything with bechamel (btw, croquetas are most/many times made with bechamel) as well as dishes where you read "gratinado" or "gratinada" (cheese and/or bechamel are commonly used on "gratinados"). In other words, you shouldn't have (big) problems to avoid dairy products but ask beforehand to know for sure whether a dish has anything dairy or not (specially on desserts).

You've made it sound like I actually might enjoy a few meals.

Sure! You should be fine eating patatas a la riojana, menestra de verduras, morcilla, cecina, pulpo a la gallega (aka polbo á feira or pulpo a feira), anything "a la plancha" or "rebozado/rebozada" accompanied with salad or fried potatoes...

Tarta de Santiago: any milk in there?

Not milk there but butter is used (sometimes) to spread (is that the correct verb?) the cooking mold so be sure to ask before trying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Also consider carrying a card that reads, in Spanish: "I am highly allergic to all kinds of milk and milk products. Can you please help me with my food selection?"

Something on the lines of "Soy muy alérgico a leche y productos lácteos. ¿Me puede ayudar, por favor con mi selección de alimentos? "

Hope that helps, SY

Perfect. I'll quote you.

Sure! You should be fine eating patatas a la riojana, menestra de verduras, morcilla, cecina, pulpo a la gallega (aka polbo á feira or pulpo a feira), anything "a la plancha" or "rebozado/rebozada" accompanied with salad or fried potatoes...

It sounds like the Spanish people are not as fast to throw cheese on everything as we are here in the States. I've sent a lot of salads back to the kitchen when they showed up smothered in shredded cheese. It's practically impossible to pick out and I sometimes forget to ask if the menu doesn't remind me. If I couldn't communicate, the average US menu would be something like 90% off limits to me - and given my weak spanish skills, I worried about that being the case on the Camino. Looks like my worries are mostly unfounded.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

I can't digest dairy products. I can get by in restaurants at home by scanning menus or requesting that the cheese be left off a sandwich or asking for the grill to be cleaned of butter before they fry my eggs. In a pinch, I can eat any meal listed as vegan, although I have no need to avoid eggs, meat or fish. Does anyone have any experience avoiding dairy in restaurants along the Way?[/QUOTE

I am also allergic to dairy products but managed to find lots options on the menus and in shops. Soy milk can often be found in even small grocery shops all along the Camino. The Soy yogurt is delicious.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think you're ok with most dishes in Spain or Portugal. Occasionally some sauces might have cream or some things may be cooked with margerine/butter.
Many deserts though will have butter, like puff and filo pastries and cakes will have cream or yogurt.
However there are many alternatives, so you won't have a problem.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.