• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ladies Knee High's used as liners for wool socks????????

manifestdestinyLISA

Pilgrim Veterans...good morning!

Regarding sock liners, an army guy told me that he and his comrades wore ladies knee highs as sock liners?! Is this comfortable and does it work like coolmax? I guess if they were silk maybe? They would be much lighter to pack and ball up which would be a plus, a heck of alot cheaper-you can buy a box of like 30 for 3-5 dollars.

But Im thinking they would be hot? He says no, they work great...What do you say? Anyone swear by this or have tried?

Please Advise,
Thank You Lisa :arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've posted about this a few times. It's what I use and it does work great. I used them with thorlos, not sure how they compare to coolmax so you might want to test. I learned the trick from some marine buddies and have used it ever since and have never had a blister from walking. I've never understood the need to purchase expensive (and relatively thick) liner socks when knee highs are cheaper, thinner, lighter and easier to find.

I know a Finnish family of three who travel the camino plenty, and they swear by these ladies´ nylon stockings, too. In summer they use knee-highs, and in winter, full pantyhose (for the extra insulating layer.) They never get any blisters, they say.

Reb.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for posting Rebekah and Vagabondette I have been testing the theory and so far so good, I am alternating my walks with cool max liners one day and nylon knee his the next. Ill post about outcome..BUEN CAMINO! Lisa

caminocalling said:
Thank you for posting Rebekah and Vagabondette I have been testing the theory and so far so good, I am alternating my walks with cool max liners one day and nylon knee his the next. Ill post about outcome..BUEN CAMINO! Lisa

And the verdict?,,,,,,

The verdict is no liners for me! I tested them, but felt hot and not free. So, I just put glide on my feet and then put socks on...I did bring "wright" socks which were light, synthetic and had little liner built into sock...but I alternated diff socks without liner and also wound up wearing chaco sandles for a large part of the camino- I love them!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, having read this some months ago, now that I am into 'serious' (!) training I thought I'd give it a try. Bought some 'support' knee highs because they were more substantial and wow, they worked a treat, are easy to wash and dry, and I promise I will wear them rolled down! Easy to buy replacements on the way too.

Karin

I heard about this first at one of the workshops for backpacking, an audience shared this with us. Since then, I have used this on long day hikes for several years but never beyond a week. I was thinking about using this again in Camino, glad to read this post. At the same time, I am also started using Injiji Five finger socks for liner this year. it separates the toes very well and creates good ventilation. There are quite a few positive comments about this online as well. I am comparing these two right now. So far for 5 miles walk, no differences. Both are good.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I use ladies ankle length stocking sox - the very uncool type - under my socks, with a layer of vaseline next to the skin. Works really well, I never get a blister. I personally think the knee-hiis might restrict blood flow slightly just under the knee.
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)

I'd completely forgotten this til I saw your post, but I've done that on a ski-ing trip once, and it's a good tip for those whose feet haven't been hardened by experience yet.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.