• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ladies , make sure your pack fits.

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
I was looking at a few of my old pics today when I noticed a pic of one friend where her waist belt of her pack rested somewhere half way down her thighs.
Many woman have longer legs and smaller upper bodies. I have on so many different occasions tried to help damsels in distress by setting up their packs with most of the pack weight resting on the hips.
The result of an ill fitting pack - painfull sholders , cause they are taking the brunt of the entire pack.
So many times I'm just not able to help as the packs just cannot be adjusted.
When buying or even loaning a pack , make sure that you can adjust it to rest on your hips. They may even bruise but you will be far more comfortable in the long run.
Thus endith todays lesson.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lots of brands make female specific bags. In general these have a shorter back with narrower shoulders and wider hip belt distributing weight better for a women's body.

Best advice is but from a store with lots if options and ask that you can be sized and fitted. Also they should be able to weight the bag as it will feel completely different with kit in. If in the UK Cotswold Outdoor do a free rucksack fitting service even if you didn't buy from them!

Last bit if advice, you always see people putting bags on wrong. If you do up the waist belt FIRST with the top of your hip in the middle of the waist belt. Then adjust all other straps. By doing this you ensure the weight is supported on your hips not shoulders.

Hope this helps

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I saw many, many people, male and female, on the Camino Frances this past Fall with packs that were not adjusted properly. It always raised a concern with me whether I should say something or not. It often seemed the pilgrims most in pain had the most poorly adjusted packs. I offered to readjust packs for those who seemed to be suffering the most, but correct pack adjustment is something every person with a backpack needs to learn how to do for themselves after somebody that knows how to do it shows them the key issues. I agree with Winchester 09 that it is important to tighten the waist belt first, locating the belt so the middle of the belt is aligned with the top of the hip bone. The shoulder strap adjustment should come next, pulled gently down and conforming exactly to the shape of the shoulder. Often the straps connecting the top of the pack to the top of the shoulder strap need to be loosened or tightened to achieve this. The strap connecting the shoulder straps to each other, the strap going across the chest, is important to use (many people seem to overlook this and let this dangle down), and this strap needs to be gently pulled tight (but not too tight) so that the shoulder straps are held securely in the correct position. All adjustments on a pack need to be gentle and a few millimeters tighter or looser can make all the difference. The pack should feel part of you, moving with you, minimally impinging on your awareness as you walk. You have a choice of how much weight you want to carry on your hips or on your shoulders, and that can change from time to time as you hike through the day. Personally I prefer 70 to 80 percent of the weight to be on my hips. The waist belt needs to be cinched fairly tightly so that it stays in place and holds the weight. Of course buying the right sized backpack is important for a good fit, but even if the fit is wrong, adjustments of straps can make a big difference.

I saw many, many people, male and female, on the Camino Frances this past Fall with packs that were not adjusted properly. It always raised a concern with me whether I should say something or not.
Chances are that someone had already said something however , if it is their first week or so , perhaps not? Also , as a middle aged single chap it is so easy to be labeled a groping old man so I always ask them to try do the the adjustments themselves and only physically help after asking again.

I so agree with you good posters.

On my first day walking out of Roncesvalles I was truly like a babe in the woods. And for the first couple of kilometers I truly thought: this is not for me! My backpack felt like a ton and my pole was not properly adjusted. But gradually, I got my pole adjusted to just the right height. And at my first rest stop I had a good look at my packpack and its inherent possibilities.

Yes, I admit I am not a big planner, and not technically minded at all and never really considered what all the straps were for. But I then caught on the the fact that the shoulder straps keeping the pack closer to my shoulder should be tightened such as not to sit on my shoulder with a 'V' gap against my back but rather as an 'I' gap – and that helped me no end. - Luckily it proved that my backpack generally fitted me well as my outfitter had said after I had tried several.
---
I still remember when I took a rest on a stone fence (towards Hornillos) and two Dutch ladies came up and joined me for a friendly chat (Had started from Burgos the preceding day). They also told me that their bags seemed very heavy. Me: How much do you carry? They: About 6 – 7 kg. – Hm, same as me.

When they got up to walk on, I then saw that their hip belts were ok but the top of their backpacks were no way near their back. So helped them make some adjustments with their upper straps – they felt it immediately. And as a natural fumblefinger with all practical matters, I was just so gratified that I could give a little help.

annelise

- and Renshaw, I would would appreciate your advice and 'meddling' anytime ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
They are not kidding when they say learn to adjust your pack!!!!! I got myself into a world of hurt at one point quite a ways into my Camino. First let me say that you should get your pack early enough to wear it at home fully weighted so that you can learn to put it on and adjust it efficiently, now back to my "lesson" :-(

One day I did not snug my shoulder straps up quite as much as usual, wearing the pack with more of the "V" gap mentioned above, instead of the usual "I" gap I normally walked with. It did not feel unbalanced, i.e. pulling me backwards, so I figured it was okay. When we reached our destination, I took the pack off and bent over to put it on the ground. When I straightened up my lower back seized. It was so bad my husband had to put his hand on my lower back and push me up the stairs to the beds. I couldn't stand the pain, so I took a pain pill. I take them sparingly because I have problems with an ulcer and they can affect it badly. Well, you guessed it, the ulcer reacted I became badly dehydrated and could hardly eat anything for the next two weeks. It made it pretty miserable to walk since you need those calories. The whole mess stemmed from not wearing the pack properly all the time. Something I will NEVER do again.

I stayed in a hotel somewhere on the mesata and looked in the mirror and realized that my pack had a huge gap between me and it. Had not felt anything but snugged it upayway, don't know how or why it happened. Next camino I will check it before I head off walking.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.