• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ladies only, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Camino Chris

Hello fellow Peregrinas,

I will be on the Camino again this Spring and instead of using toilet paper on the trail when nature calls and I can't "wait" until the next bar, I'm considering other options rather than packing out my used tissue in a ziplock baggie.

Here are a few different alternatives I have heard about and would like opinions from gals who have used these various choices....bandana used for wiping, pads to collect the drips, shewee, go girl, etc. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
A bandana. I use a banana designated for this purpose only. I may use it 3-4 times in an average hiking day. Use the same corner every time to dab, and then roll that corner in on itself and stick it in the side mesh of my pack - a baggie is not needed. Rinse out in the shower at the end of each day.

Another tip - the convenience and hygiene of trail life is significantly increased with a thorough, or near-thorough, waxing. Yes. Down there.

What fenix said I concur with. Yes, everything :)
I have a Pibella. It's perfect for peeing off a boat, hiking, etc. No need to drop drawers or squat. I have a hiking skirt which I will wear with men's Exofficio boxer briefs. Yes, men's. They have a fly. I can just lift the skirt front, insert Pibella and do my business. Use the bandana for any drip.
My husband is amused by it.

It also works with regular undies and pants. They have videos on their website that let you see real women using it. The device is small and super lightweight. Message me if you want answers to more personal questions about it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now we are talking about the more intimate female affairs. I know some ladies postpone their periods by taking " the pill" constantly during the Camino/ long physical excercise.
Those who do not want to do this I strongly advice to use good quality / high performance tampons or sanitary napkins. During these days you also might feel a bit weaker so keep your diet balanced and try to get lots of iron in your food.

My wife and I travel /hike extensively and really dislike leaving any paper behind. A " hand cloth " size piece of quick dry micro fiber material ( the same material as all our travel towels ) can be used to dry off. we have it attached to a carabineer and hang it from the rear of the pack through a grommet . I know what you are thinking and you can not be more wrong. There is no odor, it dries fast and you wash it every night. Last year my wife and three girlfriends hiked a 120 km trail along Lake Superior. No trace of paper uses after a tinkle. Have walked four Caminos to date ( and another this sept ) it is disheartening to see the litter behind so many bushes. I would be very disappointed if anyone came to the tails in Canada and left that much garbage behind Just trying to show some respect

sorry to weigh in on a female only but had to

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd rather pack out my tp; it seems the simplest solution. Actually, I use Kleenex tissues instead. Wet toilet paper is gross.
Kleenex is definately better than TP. Hadn't thought of that simple change.

A bandana. I use a banana designated for this purpose only. I may use it 3-4 times in an average hiking day. Use the same corner every time to dab, and then roll that corner in on itself and stick it in the side mesh of my pack - a baggie is not needed. Rinse out in the shower at the end of each day.

Another tip - the convenience and hygiene of trail life is significantly increased with a thorough, or near-thorough, waxing. Yes. Down there.
Ouch!... But I really like how you use your bandana technique. Great tip!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What fenix said I concur with. Yes, everything :)
I have a Pibella. It's perfect for peeing off a boat, hiking, etc. No need to drop drawers or squat. I have a hiking skirt which I will wear with men's Exofficio boxer briefs. Yes, men's. They have a fly. I can just lift the skirt front, insert Pibella and do my business. Use the bandana for any drip.
My husband is amused by it.

It also works with regular undies and pants. They have videos on their website that let you see real women using it. The device is small and super lightweight. Message me if you want answers to more personal questions about it.
Ouch...How about just a good trim with scissors (down there)? Haven't heard of the Pibella, but will look it up. Using a device like that with men's fly undies sounds like a good solution, too. Lots to ponder. Thank you!

Now we are talking about the more intimate female affairs. I know some ladies postpone their periods by taking " the pill" constantly during the Camino/ long physical excercise.
Those who do not want to do this I strongly advice to use good quality / high performance tampons or sanitary napkins. During these days you also might feel a bit weaker so keep your diet balanced and try to get lots of iron in your food.
Very good advise for any younger gals, but I don't have that particular worry any longer. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A small children's cotton handkerchief, inside a ziplock plastic bag. Wash it out at night and it is dry and ready to go again the next morning.
Hi Kanga, I like your idea of putting the hankie in a plastic bag and it's discreet. Question...since it also could be knotted on the pack to dry out while walking, why do you prefer the bag? Does it not bother you to be handling the damp hankie when reusing it before end of day?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I rarely have to use it @Camino Chris, so no. Sometimes I don't bother with the plastic bag, and put it in a little mesh pocket on the outside of my pack.
I used to wear pantyliners, but after getting a rather nasty blister from the edge of the pantyliner rubbing on my skin, gave up on that. I tried a few things first; cutting the liner to make it narrower (fluff everywhere) and bending the edges inwards. None of them were really satisfactory, so that was when I went to the hankie.
Watch out for them blisters gals! And not easy to stop and do something about them when you are on the trail with people everywhere.

Fortunately there are a LOT of bars/cafes along the Frances so with a little planning ahead the need to "go outdoors" is much less.

If the need does arise, liners. Hands free. ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ouch!... But I really like how you use your bandana technique. Great tip!

Ha! Just noticed my "banana" typo.

Ouch...How about just a good trim with scissors (down there)? Haven't heard of the Pibella, but will look it up. Using a device like that with men's fly undies sounds like a good solution, too. Lots to ponder. Thank you!

Eh, it's not that bad. Wouldn't call it fun, but it's pretty quick.

A scissor trim is fine, but the problem with a super close scissor trim, or shaving re-regrowth for that matter, is hard edged stubble. That can be irritating. Since waxing pulls the whole hair out, it grows back slowly with a soft tip.

The grooming of the nethers can also affect the efficacy of a female pee-aid like Pibella.

I rarely have to use it @Camino Chris, so no. Sometimes I don't bother with the plastic bag, and put it in a little mesh pocket on the outside of my pack.
I used to wear pantyliners, but after getting a rather nasty blister from the edge of the pantyliner rubbing on my skin, gave up on that. I tried a few things first; cutting the liner to make it narrower (fluff everywhere) and bending the edges inwards. None of them were really satisfactory, so that was when I went to the hankie.
Watch out for them blisters gals! And not easy to stop and do something about them when you are on the trail with people everywhere.
Thanks, Kanga, good point. I guess if I make a final decision to use liners (not yet decided as there is so much good advise coming my way), I'd best try out several brands/shapes/styles available on my local trails in order to avoid blisters!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ha! Just noticed my "banana" typo.

Eh, it's not that bad. Wouldn't call it fun, but it's pretty quick.

A scissor trim is fine, but the problem with a super close scissor trim, or shaving re-regrowth for that matter, is hard edged stubble. That can be irritating. Since waxing pulls the whole hair out, it grows back slowly with a soft tip.

The grooming of the nethers can also affect the efficacy of a female pee-aid like Pibella.
Thanks for the detailed reply. It takes courage to talk about these private matters. ;-)

Hi Kanga, I like your idea of putting the hankie in a plastic bag and it's discreet. Question...since it also could be knotted on the pack to dry out while walking, why do you prefer the bag? Does it not bother you to be handling the damp hankie when reusing it before end of day?
If the hanky is knoted to the outside of the bag that means that it may come in contact with the ground when you stop for a cafe con leche, or worse, for others, on the chair you may put it on, chair others will touch when sitting on said chair later in the day. Neither are hygenic, nor for you nor others.

Fortunately there are a LOT of bars/cafes along the Frances so with a little planning ahead the need to "go outdoors" is much less.

I walked from St Jean to Finisterre without having to "go" off trail. I did carry a woman's peeing device just in case, and will bring it again next Camino, and hopefully bring it home again unused.
I never left a bar without using los servicios.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

This will be my 3rd Camino and I always try to wait for the bars/cafes. However, at age 60+ and having given birth twice, when nature calls, it often says "now"! I haven't figured out yet how to cross my legs and keep walking at the same time. :)

I walked from St Jean to Finisterre without having to "go" off trail. I did carry a woman's peeing device just in case, and will bring it again next Camino, and hopefully bring it home again unused.
Wow, I wish I had your bladder! Lucky you! I'm thinking you are probably a younger gal...but that ship has sailed quite some time ago for me.

..., when nature calls, it often says "now"! I haven't figured out yet how to cross my legs and keep walking at the same time. :)

I know exactly what you mean ;-) As a smoker I just save an empty cigarette pack to pack used tissue/TP out to the next bin, but I also have used the drip-dry-panty-liner approach (without blisters!) with success plus I use the facilities (cafe con leche plus toilets) of pretty much every bar I come across. Combination is what works best for me.

And as we are here pretty private among only girls and the wider internet public will never know about it :eek: here a funny story :D:

One day my bladder had one of her really-now-now-now moments and I went behind a bush. After having settled down and started the business I looked up. And there, just in front of me was a wee little mousey looking out of her housey ... The flood went directly into the front door of her little burrow and she looked utterly disgusted. I understood her ...

BC, SY

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the detailed reply. It takes courage to talk about these private matters. ;-)

Ha! No one's ever called my uber-liberal definition of TMI courageous before.

Enjoy my company now, ladies, 'cause between my willingness to share and my sailor mouth, it's probably just a matter of time before I get banned around here. ;)

My wife and I travel /hike extensively and really dislike leaving any paper behind. A " hand cloth " size piece of quick dry micro fiber material ( the same material as all our travel towels ) can be used to dry off. we have it attached to a carabineer and hang it from the rear of the pack through a grommet . I know what you are thinking and you can not be more wrong. There is no odor, it dries fast and you wash it every night. Last year my wife and three girlfriends hiked a 120 km trail along Lake Superior. No trace of paper uses after a tinkle. Have walked four Caminos to date ( and another this sept ) it is disheartening to see the litter behind so many bushes. I would be very disappointed if anyone came to the tails in Canada and left that much garbage behind Just trying to show some respect

sorry to weigh in on a female only but had to
That was mighty courageous of you, sir, joining in on this women's only topic on behalf of your wife's good advise! :-;

/coughs...doesn't the area get itchy when it starts to grow back? ...since it is ladies only discussing thing...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
IMHO, the less personal maintenance while on the Camino the better. Time to let our ahem, hair down. Most of us don't worry about the hair on our heads much less anywhere else.

It's very freeing not to have to worry about what to wear or how we look. If we manage to get a shower and pull on the same clothes we wore the last many days in a row and they are dry, woo hoo!

:)

Don't you get super itchy when the hair starts growing back, at the stubble stage while being subjected to a lot of friction out walking?

IMHO, the less personal maintenance while on the Camino the better. Time to let our ahem, hair down. Most of us don't worry about the hair on our heads much less anywhere else.

It's very freeing not to have to worry about what to wear or how we look. If we manage to get a shower and pull on the same clothes we wore the last many days in a row and they are dry, woo hoo!

Well, I'm just flummoxed. I was honestly thinking that letting the hair grow down there would be better for hiking and possible sweating....less skin rubbing on skin. But now two people have suggested perhaps a Brazilian is the way to go.

So now I'm not quite sure the best option. :p

I'm already planning on having my brows waxed right before I leave. Definitely low maintenance, but pictures are a part of the camino and I prefer not to have a unibrow in them. hehehe...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Enjoy my company now, ladies, 'cause between my willingness to share and my sailor mouth, it's probably just a matter of time before I get banned around here. ;)

Well now I'm sort of hoping to meet you along the way. lol :D

The difference is, unibrows would show in photos. ;)

... Enjoy my company now, ladies, 'cause between my willingness to share and my sailor mouth, it's probably just a matter of time before I get banned around here. ;)

Don't think that will happen. BC SY

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
/coughs...doesn't the area get itchy when it starts to grow back? ...since it is ladies only discussing thing...

Not at all. At least for me. There is often some minor irritation for a couple days right after. Hydrocortisone is an easy fix, and timing wise, it's best to schedule the appointment at least 3 days before hitting the trail to allow that to clear.

This is a super personal choice, of course, but it does undeniably help one feel fresher and be cleaner in a trail environment.

Not at all. At least for me. There is often some minor irritation for a couple days right after. Hydrocortisone is an easy fix, and timing wise, it's best to schedule the appointment at least 3 days before hitting the trail to allow that to clear.

This is a super personal choice, of course, but it does undeniably help one feel fresher and be cleaner in a trail environment.

hmmmm...shall have to consider this. Since we are on the subject...ummmm...how long before it all starts growing back? I would hate to be in that regrowth stage while still on the trail..

€46,-
One thing to keep in mind if you haven't walked the Camino before is that it is not like backpacking in the wilderness. Not at all like the movie "Wild". You will be in towns daily all along the way and sleeping indoors at night. A long, hard walk, yes. But backpacking in to the bush, no. (Absolutely no pun intended. )

hmmmm...shall have to consider this. Since we are on the subject...ummmm...how long before it all starts growing back? I would hate to be in that regrowth stage while still on the trail..

A week or even less - and then it really starts to get uncomfortable! Opinion alert - body hair is natural, leave it as it is or you will enter a never ending story. BC SY

A week or even less - and then it really starts to get uncomfortable! Opinion alert - body hair is natural, leave it as it is or you will enter a never ending story. BC SY

Exactly! Everyone will be looking at your lovely and healthy facial glow anyway. A glow that you will definitely get after walking for several hours in a day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

It's very freeing not to have to worry about what to wear or how we look......

My suggestion is not about aesthetics - no, not at all! I don't care about how "that" looks when I'm on the trail, and I'm not looking for waxing salons in Spain. There's nothing to maintain, once I'm in Spain (on the plains, in the rain.... )

Good lord, you'd know I don't give a rat's patooty about any of that if you saw where I do let my hair down (hint: my hippy hiker legs :D).

I get a super short haircut on my head before a long hike, like a lot of other peregrinas do. This is the same idea, down below. Clean & easy.

Don't you get super itchy when the hair starts growing back, at the stubble stage while being subjected to a lot of friction out walking?

No, that's why waxing is better than cutting/shaving. It grows back soft & gentle, not stubbly.

Well, I'm just flummoxed. I was honestly thinking that letting the hair grow down there would be better for hiking and possible sweating....less skin rubbing on skin. But now two people have suggested perhaps a Brazilian is the way to go.

Brazilian, or modified bikini. Modified bikini is a good newbie choice if you're uncertain. As close a trim in front and about the ladybits as possible without being stubbly, and everything off the sides and, ahem, further back.

Since we're sharing.....:D

I'm already planning on having my brows waxed right before I leave. Definitely low maintenance, but pictures are a part of the camino and I prefer not to have a unibrow in them. hehehe...

I'm with you there. And since the wax is already hot.....;)

Well now I'm sort of hoping to meet you along the way. lol :D

Come back in May. I'm walking a long lonely camino from Almeria. I could use some company! :)

True dat!

So now I'm not quite sure the best option. :p

Eva Alexander, I'm as confused as you are...hair or no hair, that is the question!

€149,-
This will be my 3rd Camino and I always try to wait for the bars/cafes. However, at age 60+ and having given birth twice, when nature calls, it often says "now"! I haven't figured out yet how to cross my legs and keep walking at the same time. :)

My GYN doc suggested regularly doing kegels last year because despite hormone replacement, leaking was an issue when sneezing, slipping, laughing, etc. I'm 59 and when I finally started doing exercises to tighten up the bladder sphincter, it WORKED. I'll be darned. For 14 yrs I had taught water aerobics a couple times a week and I underestimated how much difference it made. That ended a little more than a year ago and this was one of the losses. Now I don't have to pee as often or have embarrassing moments.

Opinion alert - body hair is natural, leave it as it is or you will enter a never ending story. BC SY

Very natural, agreed. Yet we still shave (sometimes:D), cut our hair, and do all other sorts of grooming - sometimes for aesthetic reasons, sometimes practical.

Humans have gotten pretty darn unnatural over the course of our species' existence. Purity on that front is pretty unreachable.

(Sorry, I used to be married to a philosopher. :rolleyes:)

One thing to keep in mind if you haven't walked the Camino before is that it is not like backpacking in the wilderness. Not at all like the movie "Wild". You will be in towns daily all along the way and sleeping indoors at night. A long, hard walk, yes. But backpacking in to the bush, no. (Absolutely no pun intended. )

Very true! (But c'mon, admit it, pun intended)

For me, though, in a situation where I am working up a vigorous, day-long sweat, going to the bathroom outside, have limited wardrobe and spotty laundering - little things like this make me feel comfortable & clean.

Little disclaimer, in case it's not clear. I'm not trying to convince anyone that this is the only or best choice. It's my personal preference, borne out by years of primitive & non-primitive hiking, camping, and backpacking experience. It's a tip to consider, do with it as you will.

And it's a fun conversation. :D

This thread has taken a huge "left turn" from dealing with peeing on the trail, but it has been VERY entertaining! ;-)

It's totally related! And entertaining. ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My GYN doc suggested regularly doing kegels last year because despite hormone replacement, leaking was an issue when sneezing, slipping, laughing, etc. I'm 59 and when I finally started doing exercises to tighten up the bladder sphincter, it WORKED. I'll be darned. For 14 yrs I had taught water aerobics a couple times a week and I underestimated how much difference it made. That ended a little more than a year ago and this was one of the losses. Now I don't have to pee as often or have embarrassing moments.
Yes, I know about Kegel exercises, but never could stay consistent with them. I never really have embarrassing moments, but on the Camino I find myself hoping to locate a really good "spot" if I can't make it to the next bar...unfortunately it's usually every gal's spot, and you all know what I mean!

With waxing regrowth doesn't really start for 2 weeks and there's no stubble and itchiness like there is with shaving.

It's possible we may be related :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This has all been much more than entertaining. It's useful, so to those of you who are on the shy side, PLEASE do not be discouraged from posting frank questions and good solutions. I guess everyone's "TMI" is different, but I have not yet seen any over-disclosure in this thread. You are not the only person with that question, but at times you may be the only person with a useful particular piece of advice.

This has all been much more than entertaining. It's useful, so to those of you who are on the shy side, PLEASE do not be discouraged from posting frank questions and good solutions. I guess everyone's "TMI" is different, but I have not yet seen any over-disclosure in this thread. You are not the only person with that question, but at times you may be the only person with a useful particular piece of advice.
Amen, sister!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't think that will happen. BC SY

I have a bit of a potty mouth, too. For nine years I really was a merchant sailor working on the ocean and yep, that's where it got into my hardwiring. Must be a scientific explanation that revolves around neurons firing in high salt environments in speech areas of the cortex. Maybe salt speeding up conduction in the frontal lobes, too, increasing impulsivity. MUST be it! :)

It's possible we may be related :)

Yes, that crossed my mind as well. Great minds think alike! ;)

I second that!

And thanks for sharing the kegels stuff. I think women tend to neglect that stuff until an actual problem arises.

Also, I appreciate not being the only one in this thread "oversharing" about my hoohah. :D

This thread has taken a huge "left turn" from dealing with peeing on the trail, but it has been VERY entertaining! ;-)

See? Very related!

Less hirsute interference and less leakage - A winning combination that means the need for tp/baggies/bandanas is lessened or eliminated, and our self and our clothing are dryer and cleaner! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a bit of a potty mouth, too. For nine years I really was a merchant sailor working on the ocean.....

Wow!
I'm starting to second guess my decision to walk a lonely less-traveled camino. I wanna walk with all of y'all!

I have a device, but am only successful 90% of the time, so safer not to use it on the Camino. I'm with C Clearly doing drip and pad.

I have a device, but am only successful 90% of the time, so safer not to use it on the Camino. I'm with C Clearly doing drip and pad.

I found the drip & liner thing to work very well. Never had any hotspots either.

The reason I changed was because, with wilderness backpacking, I had no shower at the end of the day, so freshness was "meh", and I had to pack the number of liners I needed in, and out.

Outside of wilderness hiking, it's just one more thing to have to keep up with in my pack, and feels unnecessarily wasteful.

But it works well, and eliminates the need for tp & baggies, or the bandana method, which seems to gross some people out. :)

The only time I took a leak on the trail was because I also had to make a deposit so my FUD was never used and I had to use TP to deal with the leavings and buried it according to proper practices as outlined in the book "How to shit in the woods". Regarding hair, I say go with what makes you comfortable and what you are used to. I would never do the shave or wax before such a trip since my skin is quite happy au naturel. Regarding periods, I highly recommend a Diva Cup or some similar device. It is made of silicone and can be kept in for up to 12 hours with no danger to ones health. Practice a couple of months ahead of time as there is a learning curve on getting comfortable using it, but once you get the hang of it, it's a dream. The need of carrying pads or tampons is eliminated and the risk of leaks is greatly minimized to the point that only a pantyliner will do the job as backup. The associated smells are also eliminated as nothing is exposed to air. A Diva cup may seem a little expensive on the outset, but considering that it can last up to 10 years, it is very cost effective compared to pads or tampons.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm new on this forum, too, and have been wondering the same thing. I hope we get an answer!
Also, often a post shows up in a tan color box in front of the corresponding comment, but other times there is no tan box ahead of the comment. I don't get it.

Yes, that crossed my mind as well. Great minds think alike! ;)

I second that!

And thanks for sharing the kegels stuff. I think women tend to neglect that stuff until an actual problem arises.

Also, I appreciate not being the only one in this thread "oversharing" about my hoohah. :D

See? Very related!

Less hirsute interference and less leakage - A winning combination that means the need for tp/baggies/bandanas is lessened or eliminated, and our self and our clothing are dryer and cleaner! :)
You are a hoot!...(not hoohah). You've really given me some laughs today with your interesting dialogue!

I found the drip & liner thing to work very well. Never had any hotspots either.

The reason I changed was because, with wilderness backpacking, I had no shower at the end of the day, so freshness was "meh", and I had to pack the number of liners I needed in, and out.

Outside of wilderness hiking, it's just one more thing to have to keep up with in my pack, and feels unnecessarily wasteful.

But it works well, and eliminates the need for tp & baggies, or the bandana method, which seems to gross some people out. :)
Each of your observations are valid points to consider and it seems each method has its own merits...like so many things we ponder in life. Always pros and cons. Sigh.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As a few ladies have already commented on the ‘drip and panty pad’ option I’d like to offer a tip. There is a supermarket brand called Mercadona in Spain. They stock a very mini size adhesive pantypad that is perfect for caminos (and long flights!). They are shaped like small ovals - one end wider than the other. Super lightweight - I pack them down in a ‘wee’ ziplock bag (pun intended ;)) and use 1 a day.
(Note: in NZ ‘wee’ is from the Scottish ‘wee’ meaning small)

Can someone explain why there is an opportunity to respond(buttons) after some comments, but not others?
The Reply option only shows up at the end of the person's complete post. If you use the Reply button, effectively it just quotes that entire post at the beginning of your Reply. You can add more Quotes by selecting text and using the "Quote" feature - they are not new Replies to different posts.

That way you can quote several people in your reply, and you can select only the text that you want to quote. I will do that, below...
often a post shows up in a tan color box
My Quotes show up as pink, not tan. Maybe it depends on some other computer setting or colour scheme on your computer. I really don't know.

This is the last paragraph in my post, so you should see the Reply button below. It didn't appear above until you get to the previous post by gracethepilgrim. Does this explain things??:)

The Reply option only shows up at the end of the person's complete post. If you use the Reply button, effectively it just quotes that entire post at the beginning of your Reply. You can add more Quotes by selecting text and using the "Quote" feature - they are not new Replies to different posts.

That way you can quote several people in your reply, and you can select only the text that you want to quote. I will do that, below...

My Quotes show up as pink, not tan. Maybe it depends on some other computer setting or colour scheme on your computer. I really don't know.

This is the last paragraph in my post, so you should see the Reply button below. It didn't appear above until you get to the previous post by gracethepilgrim. Does this explain things??:)
Thank you for taking the time to explain. I "think" I know what you mean. So we can delete sections of a post or comment before hitting the "post reply" button in order to zone in on just the part we are commenting on?

€83,-
Thank you for taking the time to explain. I "think" I know what you mean. So we can delete sections of a post or comment before hitting the "post reply" button in order to zone in on just the part we are commenting on?
Yes, you can do that but be careful not to delete any part of the code [/ QUOTE] at the end of the quote.

You don't need to "Reply" to anyone in particular. You can just enter your message in the empty box at the end of the thread and hit the Post Reply button.

You can insert Quotes by selecting some text and using the +Quote (which is like a clipboard), and then use the Insert Quote button.

I sure hope so! Thanks for the detailed explanation!

The only time I took a leak on the trail was because I also had to make a deposit so my FUD was never used and I had to use TP to deal with the leavings and buried it according to proper practices as outlined in the book "How to shit in the woods".

Ah, the classics - great book!

Regarding periods, I highly recommend a Diva Cup or some similar device. It is made of silicone and can be kept in for up to 12 hours with no danger to ones health.....

Yes, another great way to stay cleaner and fresher out there, with less to carry or hassle with. I love my Lunette.

A laugh for fellow menstrual cup devotees: 75 Things To Do If Your Menstrual Cup Is Stuck Inside You

(But if you're just menstrual cup curious, please don't let the above link scare you off. They're awesome!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can just enter your message in the empty box at the end of the thread and hit the Post Reply button.
After I highlight, if I try to use the "Quote" option, I get a popup that says "message added to multi-quote", but there is nothing in the reply box. However, If I highlight a section of text as I did above, and choose "reply", it puts that section of text in the the reply area with the quote tags. Then when I hit "post reply" it shows up in the pink or beige box.

Regarding periods, I highly recommend a Diva Cup or some similar device.
For the love of God, no Diva Cups on the Camino: how do you plan on washing it when in a bar's restroom? Outside of the stall in the sink everyone uses to wash their hands and also sometimes get water to refil drinking bottle?

Ah, the classics - great book!

Yes, another great way to stay cleaner and fresher out there, with less to carry or hassle with. I love my Lunette.

A laugh for fellow menstrual cup devotees: 75 Things To Do If Your Menstrual Cup Is Stuck Inside You

(But if you're just menstrual cup curious, please don't let the above link scare you off. They're awesome!)
Fenix, you are absolutely a wealth of "female only" information!

€46,-
OK, so I've never had a Brazilian, and *this scary mommy post is why. I read it a couple of years ago and after nearly dying laughing (warning...she also swears like a sailor), I decided that it wouldn't be a good idea for hiking.

http://www.scarymommy.com/never-have-another-brazilian/

So you can see why I'm confused now that others find it not itchy at all. :p

Maybe it's because it was her first one? I am totally going to google this now to see what hikers prefer, overall. I'm *all about making my camino as low maintenance as possible.

And it is all completely related, as far as I'm concerned. I hadn't even considered a bandana...things you can only know by discussing with other ladies! :D

For the love of God, no Diva Cups on the Camino: how do you plan on washing it when in a bar's restroom? Outside of the stall in the sink everyone uses to wash their hands and also sometimes get water to refil drinking bottle?

Seriously?

I plan on washing it the way I always do, whether at home or in any public restroom anywhere in the world. With soap and running water. Just like I and everyone else washes our dirty hands after we poop. With soap and running water. Just like if someone cuts themselves. They run into the bathroom and wash off the blood. You don't imagine public bathroom sinks to be pristine, unspoiled, germ-free real estate, do you?

Actually, that's not quite how the process works anyway. The menstrual cup only has to be emptied twice a day (for many or most women). So for the most part, this is occurring in the albergue bathrooms in the mornings, and showers in the evening.

I do think it's kinda gross though, in general, to cram a water bottle into a shallow public bathroom sink to fill it. I just ask the bartender to top me off.

Yes, seriously. Would you pee in a public sink? Do you think those standing next to you washing their hands need to see this? And be splattered with the content of your cup?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My suggestion is not about aesthetics - no, not at all! I don't care about how "that" looks when I'm on the trail, and I'm not looking for waxing salons in Spain. There's nothing to maintain, once I'm in Spain (on the plains, in the rain.... )

Good lord, you'd know I don't give a rat's patooty about any of that if you saw where I do let my hair down (hint: my hippy hiker legs :D).

I get a super short haircut on my head before a long hike, like a lot of other peregrinas do. This is the same idea, down below. Clean & easy.

No, that's why waxing is better than cutting/shaving. It grows back soft & gentle, not stubbly.

Brazilian, or modified bikini. Modified bikini is a good newbie choice if you're uncertain. As close a trim in front and about the ladybits as possible without being stubbly, and everything off the sides and, ahem, further back.

Since we're sharing.....:D

I'm with you there. And since the wax is already hot.....;)

Come back in May. I'm walking a long lonely camino from Almeria. I could use some company! :)

It is indeed a joy to read you waxing lyrical about your nether regions!

I am a bird in the hand ( with a handkerchief)... enjoying my bush.

It is indeed a joy to read you waxing lyrical about your nether regions!

I am a bird in the hand ( with a handkerchief)... enjoying my bush.

<3 omg...this thread is so entertaining. :)

OK, so I've never had a Brazilian, and *this scary mommy post is why. I read it a couple of years ago and after nearly dying laughing (warning...she also swears like a sailor), I decided that it wouldn't be a good idea for hiking.

Maybe it's because it was her first one? I am totally going to google this now to see what hikers prefer, overall. I'm *all about making my camino as low maintenance as possible.

And it is all completely related, as far as I'm concerned. I hadn't even considered a bandana...things you can only know by discussing with other ladies! :D
Well, this thread is the first I've read on this forum in the year that I've been here suggesting waxing the nether regions. I'm sure that many if not most peregrinas (and peregrinos?) don't bother with this. I'm basing this opinion on my sample of one. :D

€149,-
Well, this thread is the first I've read on this forum in the year that I've been here suggesting waxing the nether regions. I'm sure that many if not most peregrinas (and peregrinos?) don't bother with this. I'm basing this opinion on my sample of one. :D
Absolute nonsens. Just use the many loos along the way, and do laundry.

Yes, seriously. Would you pee in a public sink? Do you think those standing next to you washing their hands need to see this? And be splattered with the content of your cup?

:rolleyes: Seriously, that's not how it works. First off, there is surprisingly little blood, even for those with heavy cycles. Secondly, said blood is then poured into the toilet. Third, cup is reinserted. Any blood on my hands is wiped off with tissue, then I emerge to wash those hands. Like everyone else.

In the evening shower, cup is removed, emptied directly into drain, rinsed off like the rest of my filthy hiker's body, and reinserted.

When the cycle is complete, a more thorough soap & water cleansing happens - not in a bar, but yes, probably at an albergue - and the cup is stored away until next month.

I don't know what kind of horror movies you're watching, or what kind of thoughtless, cootie-spreading diva freaks you think us cup users are, but I assure you, nobody is getting splattered with our blood.o_O

€46,-
I just read a bit on an AT forum...sounds like on the AT there's a bit of a pride issue on how long your hair is...means that you've been there longer... But for those who prefer to not keep their hair, waxing is definitely the way to go. And the advice is to not do it for the first time just before you leave. Get at least 2 in. This probably explains why the scary mommy post I read...her experience with regrowth was bad, but for women who do it regularly, it isn't bad at all.

The worst part? You've got to let it all grow out before you do the first one. :p

huh. who knew?! #learnsomethingneweveryday :D

If the hanky is knoted to the outside of the bag that means that it may come in contact with the ground when you stop for a cafe con leche, or worse, for others, on the chair you may put it on, chair others will touch when sitting on said chair later in the day. Neither are hygenic, nor for you nor others.
A small (I resisted the urge to call it 'wee') wee rag in a dark colour made out of a cut down face washer pinned onto my pack's shoulder strap. No chance of it coming into contact with ground or chair as I use the shoulder strap to put the pack down. If the wee rag gets used I use the next opportunity to rinse it out. This might be a cafe washroom or water from my water bottle when I know a fountain is coming soon.
Fresh urine is sterile. The sun is a great antiseptic.
IMO it doesn't matter How you manage as long as you don't leave your used toilet paper anywhere.

In the evening shower, cup is removed, emptied directly into drain, rinsed off like the rest of my filthy hiker's body, and reinserted.

I don't know what kind of horror movies you're watching, or what kind of thoughtless, cootie-spreading diva freaks you think us cup users are, but I assure you, nobody is getting splattered with our blood.o_O

Lovely, so now not only do people pee in the showers bit we have to contend with Diva Cup washing. And honnestly, not giving a cup a proper cleaning before reinserting it... who does that?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Oh, that article is hilarious. Yeah, the first time can be rough, or the first time after a long hiatus. Wanton cursing helps.

But reason #2 was a plus, right? :)

I just read a bit on an AT forum...sounds like on the AT there's a bit of a pride issue on how long your hair is...means that you've been there longer... But for those who prefer to not keep their hair, waxing is definitely the way to go. And the advice is to not do it for the first time just before you leave. Get at least 2 in. This probably explains why the scary mommy post I read...her experience with regrowth was bad, but for women who do it regularly, it isn't bad at all.

The worst part? You've got to let it all grow out before you do the first one. :p

huh. who knew?! #learnsomethingneweveryday :D
Eve, Thank you for the thorough research! All the pros and cons shared on waxing "down under" has been quite an education for me today!

@fenix so I only have 4 weeks before I leave! So no time for 2. I would actually arrive home the weekend of week 6 for the second wax. :/ This may not be an option for me if it itches. At All. The last thing I want is to be dealing with itchy regrowth while hiking. Hell no! :p

Eve, Thank you for the thorough research! All the pros and cons shared on waxing "down under" has been quite an education for me today!

Well...there seemed enough interest to at least google a bit and share. :D Hey...at least I didn't share with you my ability to swear like a sailor???? lol

Lovely, so now not only do people pee in the showers bit we have to contend with Diva Cup washing. And honnestly, not giving a cup a proper cleaning before reinserting it... who does that?

You do realize that when we all step in the shower - cup & non-cup users alike - we're dirty, right? In multiple ways, we're all dirty, and many are actively menstruating, then soap and hot water happens, and we step out clean.

It sounds like public accommodations like albergues are not for you.

I just don't get why you're so angry. Peace.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@fenix so I only have 4 weeks before I leave! So no time for 2. I would actually arrive home the weekend of week 6 for the second wax. :/ This may not be an option for me if it itches. At All. The last thing I want is to be dealing with itchy regrowth while hiking. Hell no! :p

Oh I didn't mean get 2 waxings. I meant that scary mommy's 2nd reason for never getting waxed again was more of a plus. :D

But no, you're right, doesn't sound like a viable option for you anyway right now.
No time to experiment.

I do know the Diva Cup has been around for ages and is super popular with the birkenstock and granola crowd, as well as hikers. Probably more people are using these options than most would imagine. I saw one in a regular ole pharmacy recently. It is almost mainstream. Almost. lol Not for the squeamish about body fluids, I suspect. .02

Oh I didn't mean get 2 waxings. I meant that scary mommy's 2nd reason for never getting waxed again was more of a plus. :D

But no, you're right, doesn't sound like a viable option for you anyway right now.
No time to experiment.

ahahahahahah! ...yes, her second reason was quite worthy of giving it a try. :D

But yeah, the experiment factor is gone for me at this point. I already get my brows done, and it is brilliant. Super low maintenance, and my daughter is a licensed cosmetologist so I get a discount too. But there is no way in hell I'd hire a relative to do any nether regions! lol

€83,-
This probably explains why the scary mommy post I read...her experience with regrowth was bad, but for women who do it regularly, it isn't bad at all.

Not completely. My person says every 4 weeks, 6 max, so it hurts less. But I'm lazy about it. Every 3-4 months, unless I'm timing it to fall right before a major hike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.