• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ladies Osprey Packs

Lucyev

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 22nd (2020)
Going to start looking at rucksacks and will probably be looking at the ladies osprey ones, 30-35 litres. The reason I'm looking at Osprey first is I have a much larger 65 litre one that I love, but which will be too big, so I know I like their style and fit.

If any of you ladies have carried an Osprey pack would you mind sharing what pack it is, and how you found it fared on the trail? What you liked, didn't like etc. It's good to get opinions off people who have really tested them, rather than just off the store assistants.

Many thanks

Lucy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @Lucyev

I have the Osprey Talon 33 unisex.
I love the simplicity of the pack ( not too many straps unlike my first one , a Gregory Jade pack ).

I never pack more than five kilo content so it all feels very light and doable.
Must say that I use Sea to Summit compression bags to keep the content compressed.

The only minor thing is that you can't easily reach the sidepockets. So when I want to drink I have to stop, take pack off and grab bottle. But sometimes I buy the more compact 33 cl bottles that I can place in the pockets of my trousers.

I'm happy with my Osprey and would not change it for another brand.

This is a pic of my backpack ( taken on my latest Camino ).

Attachments

• Osprey.jpg
    Osprey.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 213
Hi @Lucyev

I love the simplicity of the pack ( not too many straps unlike my first one , a Gregory Jade pack ).

Must say that I use Sea to Summit compression bags to keep the content compressed.

The only minor thing is that you can't easily reach the sidepockets. So when I want to drink I have to stop, take pack off and grab bottle. But sometimes I buy the more compact 33 cl bottles that I can place in the pockets of my trousers.

Thank you so much SabineP. I'm going to make a list of ones to look at, so I'll put that on my list.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Going to start looking at rucksacks and will probably be looking at the ladies osprey ones, 30-35 litres. The reason I'm looking at Osprey first is I have a much larger 65 litre one that I love, but which will be too big, so I know I like their style and fit.

If any of you ladies have carried an Osprey pack would you mind sharing what pack it is, and how you found it fared on the trail? What you liked, didn't like etc. It's good to get opinions off people who have really tested them, rather than just off the store assistants.

Many thanks

Lucy

Osprey 40L Fairview pack. It's a great pack and meets carryon requirements.

I am 5' 7" and carry the trampoline back Stratos 34 liter, but it is actually 32 liter as I have the smaller size. I was using the Gregory Jade 28 in the larger size which was about 30 liters, but they changed the pockets and I didn't like the new set up. It also had a trampoline back.

Many thanks

Lucy

I am not being critical or contrary, just curious: Why do you feel the need to forego your current backpack for a smaller capacity one?

There are good reasons to choose a smaller backpack, but the amount of stuff the packbag can carry doesn't need to be one of them.

The most essential parts of a backpack are the frame, the shoulder harness system, and the hipbelt. It is that user interface that is critical. The size of the bag, not so much. It's job is helping the user to organize their load, and to be able to fit and protect everything inside.

Once you have everything dialed in with a backpack and you find a good and comfortable match, a good fitting and comfortable backpack will carry small loads as well as a full capacity load. It is flexible in that way. Outside of shoes, finding a great fitting backpack is one of the most difficult things to accomplish. In many respects, it is even more difficult for women to accomplish than it is for men.

I have used a 64 liter backpack on Camino, the same one I used to carry 10 days worth of backpacking gear and consumables on the PCT.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Love my very comfortable Osprey Eja 38L rucksack. Wishing I'd bought it years ago. No need to pack it to full capacity however there's always room for adding food supplies.

I came back last week after 3 weeks on the Camino,1week walking, 2weeks as a hospitalera. I used an Osprey ladies hikelite 26litre pack for the first time. Found it great, it'll will be with me again. Previously I used a Vango 20litre bag, but the Osprey is much sturdier, the compression straps are brilliant and the vented back646447.jpg

I used a Kyte 36L for my first two, and a Tempest 30L for the del Norte. Bottom line is: try them, walk with them with weight, find out what's comfortable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I love my Exos 48. Too big for a Camino but I don’t fill it (I only carry 5kgs). I like the size because I can also carry camping equipment in it.
Because recently I needed something even lighter, I bought a Lumina 45. Also very good, equally comfortable but with fewer details. Doesn’t look as nice, maybe but only weighs 700 g.
With both, you can carry bottles in the side pockets (and be able to reach them whilst walking). In fact, the side pockets in the Lumina are awesome!

I love my Talon 33.

Don't limit your research to "Ladies" models. This is, to a large degree, a marketing strategy. Sure there may be some minor factors that may or may not be significant for you, but many many women happily wear "Mens" packs. Be aware that the Talon comes in 2 sizes and the back length is further adjustable.

I am now better skilled at removing my bottle from the side pouches. Use a small bottle so it is not too tight..

Love my Osprey Kyte 36 (which is actually 34 in x-small size). It is a bit roomier than I need for my stuff, but the roominess helps keep things accessible as does the side access zipper. For my bottle access I use a "universal" size hose with bite valve that I found on Amazon. No need to reach for my bottles; instead, I just attach the hose, and don't have the weight or cleaning difficulties of a bladder in the back.
I *can* fit all my stuffing my daily pack which is an Osprey 26 Litre, but hav etc jam it all in, and that makes it harder to reach stuff easily.
So the Kyte will, once again, be my pack of choice. Third time out....
It's comfortable and feels nearly weightless on my back/hips/shoulders.
Reality is that the *feeling* of weightlessness is belied by strain on knees and feet if one doe snot keep actual weights under control, but if you can avoid over-stuffing the larger pack, I don't see why you could not continue to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to the Madness!

I have walked 3 Caminos with an Osprey Kyte 36L, but as I am 5'2" and 100 lbs, the extra small actually comes in at 34L. I LOVE this pack! (It resides beside my bed and is put into service on almost every other trip I take.) The bottom zipper allows access to a lower compartment perfect for your liner/sleeping bag or secondary shoes. The top flap has an outer and inner compartment. I kept my snacks, gloves, headband, and headlamp on the outside, and kept my passport/credenciales/phone/earbuds and extra kleenex packs in the inside pocket. The water bladder pocket is easy to use as it sits between the bag and the suspension system. You don't have to take things out of the main compartment to get at the bladder, just pull it out from the top.

I am a huge fan of packing cubes and could easily get everything distributed with those. The Kyte has the typical compression straps (which I crank the crap out of) to make the pack nice and tight.
There are two pockets on the belt which hold more kleenexes, lip balm, hard candies to snack on and the little rocks I leave along the way. Two side pockets to hold my sunscreen, voltadol and umbrella and gear straps to store my poles. I did add some stretch cord across the top to stuff my jacket or wrap my scarf and all is good.

I pack about 11 lbs without water and it seems like I always have room for souvenirs or even a bottle of wine to enjoy further along the trail.

My only complaint is that my husband has the 46L Kestrel which has 2 additional outside pockets, but I know I would have put stuff in them as well, so not really a complaint.

PackMolinsecav2.jpg

PCaminoBeach.JPG

Buen Camino!

I tried both the Tempest 30 and the Unisex-Talon 33 in "small". I decided to take the Talon and I am still content with it. My previous pack was a Deuter Futura Pro 34, which is much heavier.

BC
Alexandra

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When measured at the hiking shop I was surprised that I required a ladies small size . I am 5' 6ins tall, definitely not a small person but it's the measurement from waist to base of the neck that counts for size fit.

When measured at the hiking shop I was surprised that I required a ladies small size . I am 5' 6ins tall, definitely not a small person but it's the measurement from waist to base of the neck that counts for size fit.

Same for me. Beforehand I was convinced i neeeed a medium size. Therefore the importance of a professional to give advice.

On my last camino I took an Osprey Escapist 25L, which is not only unisex but also a biking, not hiking, pack, but it fit me perfectly and has zip opening and the same sort of back system as the Talon/Tempest and Kestrel/Kyte packs. Worth considering as it is huge for a 25 litre but easier to pack and unpack than my Tempest.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Many thanks

Lucy
Don't necessarily discount your 65L. You don't have to fill it and it's a lot easier to stuff in the early a.m. than trying to cram everything into a smaller backpack. I took a 36L and wish I had taken my 44L.

Osprey Kyte 36L worked for me as well. I used it 6 weeks on the Norte, one week in Southern Germany and again on the Portuguese Coastal. I'm 5'6" and found it to be quite comfortable while carrying as much as 8+kg (18 lbs) including water.

I also have the Osprey Talon 33, and I absolutely loved it, except for the fact that I could not reach my water bottle without taking the pack off. I ended up just holding it all the time. Otherwise it worked perfectly for me.

Eight years on, all with Osprey packs. First year was Kestrel 46. Second year was Kestrel 36 (pack was lighter!). Third year was Exos 48 (pack was lighter!). Loved it; and it's still the best-fitting/most-comfortable of the lot. Sixth year Osprey was about to reconfigure their Exos line, so I snapped up an Exos 36 (pack was lighter!) before the newer, heavier models came out. It's just fine, and carries my shoulder-season gear and in-France food supplies snugly. I need the trampoline-back as I really sweat on hot days. I have always used the water-bladder system as opposed to trying to slip water bottles in the outside pockets. My usual load is 15 lbs (7 kg) dry, 20 lbs with food and water included.

I have used a Talon 33, sized small, for 3 caminos and 2 other long distance treks. No pack is perfect, but this one has become part of me. It is one of the lighter packs, and it fit me better than the women's Tempest. It is difficult to reach my water bottles in the side pockets. On the other hand, the side pockets are big enough to hold other stuff AND a water bottle! And, to drink, I am required to take a quick break and enjoy the moment. I do wish the top lid (brain) was more attached to the pack, and I have had tears in the mesh pocket. Might be looking for a newer version this spring.

My wife carries the Osprey kestrel 49 liter on her caminos as well as overnight hikes in the USA. Some of our hikes last a week and she is fine. I also have the kestrel 48 L and I carry the two person tent in my pack. We find this pack is versatile for using on the camino and in the USA on weeklong treks on the florida and AT trails. I do adjust her pack different then mine and the kestrel is great for unisex adjustments. It is our go to pack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I also have the Osprey Talon 33, and I absolutely loved it, except for the fact that I could not reach my water bottle without taking the pack off. I ended up just holding it all the time. Otherwise it worked perfectly for me.

Same with the Kyte, however I used the tube system for drinking so that I wouldn't have to pull my bottle from the pack.

I just purchased my third Osprey pack a couple of weeks ago - the Tempest 9L. to use as a daypack. On my first Camino, I used a 36 L. Kyte. I found that it rubbed on one shoulder and I was constantly trying to adjust the fit. So I switched to a 36 L. Sirrus, which I love and have used for several Caminos. And I have a 24L. Sirrus, which I also love. All three packs are a women-specific pack.

I absolutely love my Osprey Sirrus 36! The fit is perfect for me and I love the trampoline back for air circulation. Buen Camino @Lucyev!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @Lucyev

I have a Kyte 36 and really like it- the three compartments, large stretch pocket on the front. and the flexibilty of threading elastic cord through the front loops to create more carrying possibilities. I like all the straps that give options for carrying. As you said about your Osprey it is comfortable and fits well. The hip belt is not as cushioned as some I have seen but not any issue for me ( maybe I don’t know any differently as never carried a different pack). I agree with the challenged accessibility of water bottle side pockets. They are also not very deep. There is a an option to use a bladder but I didn’t. Rather I carried a waist pack with easily accessible water bottle pockets. Best of luck choosing a new pack.

I love, love, love my Osprey 46, I don't overload it; saving room for souvenirs. I love the side zip pockets, keeping my rain pants on one side and rain jacket on the other. The bottom access lets me quickly access my sleeping bag (very light down) and claim my bunk. I actually purchased another pack, but have decided that my lovely old one is my Camino companion. My mother passed away and I have her picture on the back.

IMG_0700.JPG

I have had 4 Osprey packs.

My first was a men's Aura 34L medium (go figure, woman 168 cm/5'6"). I loved it but the zippers wouldn't work and the mesh pockets ripped.

My second (and current pack) is a women's Sirrus 36L. It has its own rain cover which the Aura didn't. It only comes in one size but fits great.

And my last purchase was a women's Tempest 30L. It is great for the summer when you don't need the extra space for a sleeping bag. I love it and I can even jog with it on and it doesn't sway back and forth.

The 4th pack is a day pack of 22L. It get used almost daily and I have no idea what the name is but they are still around.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I have the Osprey Sirrrus 36L and a smart tube that allows me to use any water bottle in the side pocket and thead the tube over my shoulder

I’m also an Osprey Kyte 46L fan. I prefer it for things like the Camino because I can also use it on long day hikes on glaciers since it has an ice axe holder. It’s perfect for carryon since I never have it packed to full capacity and can easily cinch it down to a smaller size. I chose it because it was the only one that had the sturdiness I’m used to in a backpacking pack and the adjustable back harness was something I personally needed.
My husband has the companion Kestrel 48 and he’s happy with it. For our real wilderness backpacking where we need to carry a 4 season tent and 20 F degree sleeping bags plus food, we user the 65L packs. Total overkill for a Camino :)
Good luck finding the right pack for you.

Last edited:
I took an Osprey Stratos 26 on the camino frances (I finished Oct 5th). My overall pack weight was 6.1 kilos (without water) and I used 5 lightweight drybags to keep everything organised inside.

It doesnt have outside straps, so my sleeping back was inside (a highlander light sleepingbag) and there is an outside zipped pocket, straps for poles and shoes and deep meshed side pockets.

Personally I loved this size, and it did mean I wasnt carrying any junk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are lots of Osprey packs on the Camino, for good reason. They are light and robust.

I took a Tempest 20, which I already had, and which ensured I didn't take anything I didn't really need. It all fitted, just, (4.7 k including the pack and half a litre of water), but as I was walking just part of the Frances in late September I didn't carry the bulkier clothing you might need at another time.

I liked the elastic straps on the shoulder straps - perfect for carrying yesterday's socks which hadn't fully dried overnight, the zip pockets on the hip belt (sunscreen, lipsalve, handkerchief, chocolate) and the side pockets which neatly carried a 500ml waterbottle on one side and a bocadillo on the other. And the back pocket at the top was just the right size for credencial, phone, passport, cash etc in a small shoulder pouch.

I’m also an Ospret Kyte 46L fan. I prefer it for things like the Camino because I can also use it on long day hikes on glaciers since it has an ice axe holder. It’s perfect for carryon since I never have it packed to full capacity and can easily cinch it down to a smaller size. I choice it because it was the only one that had the sturdiness I’m used to in a backpacking pack and the adjustable back harness was something I personally needed.
My husband has the companion Kestrel 48 and he’s happy with it. For our real wilderness backpacking where we need to carry a 4 season tent and 20 F degree sleeping bags plus food, we user the 65L packs. Total overkill for a Camino :)
Good luck finding the right pack for you.
This is the pack I chose for my first camino spring 2020. I liked the feature of the adjustable back harness as well. So glad to hear you love it. Going to start packing it for weight and training soon.

I ended up with an Osprey Kestrel (men's) 46 S/M. It's so important to try on packs and walk around with them. I went in thinking I would be getting the Kyte 36 but when I put it on I felt like I was being suffocated. The 46 felt much more comfortable and just fit me better overall (though the Kestrel color choices were meh).

I have just finished my first Camino experience with a backpack. I used an Osprey Eja 38l but left the brain at home. (I also used a small waist bag for my phone, passport, credential and guidebook.) I did find the small size fit me better than the medium despite the size guide advise.

Lightness was a key concern for me hence leaving the brain at home - I had plenty of room. My baseweight was 5.2 kg and I was amazed at how comfortable the pack was during my Camino. It was very easy to adjust the straps too - in the mornings I might have to tweak it a little to find the comfort 'sweet spot'. I really liked the accessible side pockets; I could get my water bottle as I walked and stuff it back again, same with my sun hat too.

I practised walking with my pack as much as possible beforehand. That helped enormously especially practising on hills - up and down!

Good luck with your selection and pack as light as you can!

I have used the Osprey Sirrus 36 on 3 caminos and I love it. Similar to the Kyte 36. It's a ladies pack so it has slight differences and fits comfortably especially at the shoulders and front breast bone strap. Highly recommended.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Love my very comfortable Osprey Eja 38L rucksack. Wishing I'd bought it years ago. No need to pack it to full capacity however there's always room for adding food supplies.
I am with you! Before my Osprey I have only ever used my trusty old canvas pack, 27 yrs old, still waterproof BUT: heavy! Bought the Osprey and used it on the Via de la Plata, absolutely loved it. Packs well, side pockets are easy as they have a bottom opening, and the vent pocket at the front works well. The only disadvantages I found we’re the lack of hip belt pocket(S) and the fact it doesn’t stand up by itself well at all. For our next Camino I am also considering leaving the top hood behind, to make it a little smaller and save the worry of being carry-on appropriate. I suggest you take all your Camino bits to the shop and play with the different models. Everyone packs different and what suits me may not suit you. Good luck and happy shopping!

I am with you! Before my Osprey I have only ever used my trusty old canvas pack, 27 yrs old, still waterproof BUT: heavy! Bought the Osprey and used it on the Via de la Plata, absolutely loved it. Packs well, side pockets are easy as they have a bottom opening, and the vent pocket at the front works well. The only disadvantages I found we’re the lack of hip belt pocket(S) and the fact it doesn’t stand up by itself well at all. For our next Camino I am also considering leaving the top hood behind, to make it a little smaller and save the worry of being carry-on appropriate. I suggest you take all your Camino bits to the shop and play with the different models. Everyone packs different and what suits me may not suit you. Good luck and happy shopping!
Verify: I also have the Eja!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with your comment ,the Eja doesn't stand up alone but one manages to get used to that.
The top hood pocket could be used as a carry on separate (purse ) bag or indeed used when the large bag isn't required, post walk /evening time etc.

I have an Osprey 30 something litres. More precisely I have to go find it, not too good with remembering numbers etc. In shop where we did the fitting they had me try on ladies' bags at first but then advised to take men's because I'm tall (5'10) enough for one. Like it very much. Fits very well.
I threw away the front chest strap that connects the shoulder straps: freedom for the boobs! Honestly I couldn't even breath with it on. When I released it enough to breath, it became moot anyway. So off it goes.
I like that I can fit everything I have inside the bag, stuff is not dangling around like some shaman's attire and in case of rain is already half way protected. I used a big raincoat over me and the pack. Yes, the side pockets could be bigger but for that reason I had a very big fanny pack.
Water and wine bottles were inside the backpack also, and yes I had to stop every once in a while to drink. That was my plan all along: if I could reach the water while walking, I would just carry on till I drop, the need to hydrate made me stop and have some rest too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mine is an Aura (50?). It's bigger than I need for the camino, but I had it and thought it was silly to ditch it for a smaller pack.
I love:
•The trampoline back; it's cool in the heat.
•The combination of top-loading and front-loading pockets (actually, I really love this).
•The fact that I can load it up then forget it's on my back. The suspension is seriously comfortable.
•The little elastic thingos on the shoulder straps; they secure the bladder hose and provide an attachment point for my front pack.
•The color ;)
I'm not wild about:
•The mingy hip belt pockets
•The hip belt can rub the skin over my hip bones the wrong way. More padding would be a blessing.
•The mesh pockets on the side are hard to reach; I normally use a water bladder, but if I used a bottle this would be annoying.
•As it ages, the zippers are getting stickier, and the color on the top is fading. The former is mildly annoying and the latter is a badge of honor.

Hey, @JillGat, maybe show this thread to your friend at Osprey! They can fine-tune the designs based on our likes and dislikes. Starting with those hip belt pockets....

Last edited:
I love my Exos 48. Too big for a Camino but I don’t fill it (I only carry 5kgs). I like the size because I can also carry camping equipment in it.
Because recently I needed something even lighter, I bought a Lumina 45. Also very good, equally comfortable but with fewer details. Doesn’t look as nice, maybe but only weighs 700 g.
With both, you can carry bottles in the side pockets (and be able to reach them whilst walking). In fact, the side pockets in the Lumina are awesome!
I have just been looking at the Ladies version of the Lumina and am very impressed by the lightness and the comfort of the fit. Not as pretty as most of the Osprey packs but I will gladly drop the looks for a lot of weight saved!

Mine is an Aura (50?). It's bigger than I need for the camino, but I had it and thought it was silly to ditch it for a smaller pack.
I love:
•The trampoline back; it's cool in the heat.
•The combination of top-loading and front-loading pockets (actually, I really love this).
•The fact that I can load it up then forget it's on my back. The suspension is seriously comfortable.
•The little elastic thingos on the shoulder straps; they secure the bladder hose and provide an attachment point for my front pack.
•The color ;)
I'm not wild about:
•The mingy hip belt pockets
•The hip belt can rub the skin over my hip bones the wrong way. More padding would be a blessing.
•The mesh pockets on the side are hard to reach; I normally use a water bladder, but if I used a bottle this would be annoying.
•As it ages, the zippers are getting stickier, and the color on the top is fading. The former is mildly annoying and the latter is a badge of honor.

Hey, @JillGat, maybe show this thread to your friend at Osprey! They can fine-tune the designs based on our likes and dislikes. Starting with those hip belt pockets....
I believe that the trick with sticky zippers is to rub a graphite pencil along the teeth, or lubricate it with some waxy substance like petroleum jelly, chapstick, crayon or wax candle. Rub it into the teeth then work the zip up and down a few times.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife has used both the Talon 22 and 33 on our last 3 caminos and they have worked out well for her. One thing of note was that she prefers the guys packs over the gals specific ones. I think it has something to do with her shoulder and neck area ( picture swimmers shoulders and neck). The women’s models rubs on her neck area too much.

I am a large woman after trying in many different backpacks I ended up with the Osprey Kestrel 38. I’m a total newbie! The Camino was my first hike ever. I walked last September and I’m always cold so I packed a sleep sack and light sleeping bag. The Kestrel gave me enough room and was the only one I tried that felt “comfortable”. Since my Camino I’ve started to hike the ADK I use the same bag. Good luck in your search! It took me a good year to find the backpack and shoes I was comfortable with...Buen Camino

I used a Manta 28 built in 2.5L waterpack, wonderfull hip belt and air mesh back. Very comfortable. I believe now they make 24 and 32 only.

Attachments

• 213B1FBC-1FEA-45D6-A5B3-EF18AA654DB1.jpeg
    213B1FBC-1FEA-45D6-A5B3-EF18AA654DB1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife has recently bought an Osprey Skimmer 28. She loves the pack but the ventilation and the pocketing system are inferior as compared to Osprey Sirrus models. I believe the Sirrus is the highest class model for the women's Osprey backpacks.
For instance, the Sirrus has a better ventilation thanks to the AirSpeed™ system that includes a trampoline mesh that creates a space between your back and the pack. Plus, the Skimmer doesn't have pockets and padding on the hip belt. So my wife is considering an upgrade.
Anyway Osprey is the Cadillac of backpacks so you can't go wrong with any model.

Wow, so many thought provoking interesting replies! Thank you all for taking the time to write. i have read through them all, now the next step is to get out to a shop and actually look at them in person. At l;east now I have a better idea what to look at; the size of the hip pockets, hip padding, where to keep a water bottle wtc.

Thanks again!

Buen Camino!

Lucyev,

where ever you go as for help. Tell the staff what your using it for and they will help. I brought a bag of my stuff walked around the store for 1/2 hr with the weight at 15lbs which was the highest I would go. I’m glad I tried it out changed several times until I found one comfortable for me. Spend as much time finding the best fitting shoe and the rest will fall into place. After literally trying on 40+ pairs through Zappos I went with a sport sandle closed toe good ventilation. I didn’t get one blister! I highly recommend to you as an option!
Buen Camino😊

Many thanks

Lucy
Loved my Osprey 35! I agree about the side pockets but I hung an aluminum water bottle from the back of my left shoulder with a carabiner. Worked great, I could lean forward and retrieve bottle over my shoulder, pop open the top and drink without taking off my pack. Kept another full bottle inside for refilling.

I used the Tempest 30. I chose this as I am petite and the adjustable back length enabled me to fit this perfectly for my frame. Also I needed to take my pack on the plane as cabin luggage and this met the size requirements perfectly. I loved this pack, I liked the pockets in the top which I used for things I would need on the day and found the side mesh pockets perfect for the half litre bottles of water which I preferred to carry. I didn't use a water system with it as I thought it would be more difficult to clean properly. The only thing I wish it had was a side opening so you can access items at the bottom of the rucksack more easily. Buen Camino

Echoing many here, though I use a Kestrel 48, my next Camino will use a 30 L to 35 L Osprey pack. And I endorse them for all the same reasons. Never check a pack. It is already made to be carryon worthy, even the 48 L.

Finally, if the weight of a larger pack is acceptable, use it, just not to the fullest. We all know how fit is important. Go for that first. If you can handle carrying the absolute minimum in it, use the 65L.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've just bought my pack ready for next year & it is so comfortable. I got the osprey tempest 30 which is probably bigger than I need but I think the 20 would be to small. I took most of my kit with me & the girl in the shop was very helpfull. Lucy ev I went to Blacks as they are the only stockist in my area & as I said they were more than helpfull.

Hi Lucey,

I have recently tested my Talon 33 under camino-conditions and in the alps. I walked one week in hard rain on the camino in Germany, with full equipment (incl. poncho, sleeping-bag, towels, two sets of clothes for change) and another 3 days in the pre-alps round lake Como in Italy.

I am even more convinced, that this is the perfect camino-pack. It made no difference if it was fully loaded or only used as a daypack. Compression-belts allow you to vary the size. It snuggled perfectly well to my back and transferred the weight of the pack on my hips, not on my shoulders. Even climbing in the mountains was no problem.

The small pocket on the shoulder-strap proved to be perfect to fix an umbrella.

Many thanks

Lucy
I love my Sirius 36. The only gripe I have is the side pockets don’t fit my glasses and phone. It use to be perfect, before I needed glasses and I used a smaller phone.

€46,-
So I've always complained that 36L packs were too large.
That's until yesterday when I bought an Osprey Kyte 36L (it's actually only 34L)

I have an Osprey Sirus 36 in XS so more like 34 L. Fits perfectly. Holds what I need. My must haves are separate compartment for sleeping bag at bottom and internal hydration pocket. Also decent hipbelt which a lot of smaller packs do not have. I own 4 different Osprey packs now although the oldest/largest at 75L is to heavy empty to carry. 65L for multi day backpacking, and 20L for long dayhiking. Always important to find what works for your own body, get properly fitted and adjust each time you out it on.

I used a Osprey Tempest 20 when I did the Norte to Primitivo (and Finisterre). In hindsight, it was too small. But, I made it to Finisterre so I guess it was fine! If I were to do another trip of similar length, I'd probably aim for a 25 or 30L. I can't say enough about the backpack's comfort - I have used it hiking and as an everyday bag, and the back support is really incredible.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So I've always complained that 36L packs were too large.
That's until yesterday when I bought an Osprey Kyte 36L (it's actually only 34L)
I purchased the Kyte 46L and can compress down good. Took it for my first training day last weekend and it felt good. Comfortable 👍

Many thanks

Lucy

Many thanks

Lucy
Hi I had a large Dueter pack 55 + and are down sizing to reduce weight im carrying :) so im looking at the Dueter Tempest as its about 850 gm and a 32 litre. if i cant fit all my stuff in then its staying at home :) ive read a lot on packs and really i think its about what suits your needs for your walk and what you expect. Buen Camino

Im changing from a Osprey 35 to an Osprey Tempest 30 as its lighter which im looking for. if cannot fit everything in then stays at home :) trying to do with out and one can always purchase along the way Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.