• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lagos to Santiago de Compostela via Rota Vincentina

Footsteeps1000

Time of past OR future Camino
We have a plan to walk the Camino from Lagos in Portugal in March 2021
We are planning our Camino in March and April starting from Lagos.
The plan is to follow the fishermans trail but deviate on our first day to Vila Bispo and continue on the second day on the Rota Vincentina trail north to Santiago do Cacem. The Rota Vincentina trail ends here.
Is there anyone who has any suggestions on how to continue the route from Santiago Cacem to Lisbon?
Also we would like to get stamps in our pilgrimage book starting from Lagos can we do that in any cafe or hostel?
Any other advise on the Lagos - Santiago de Compostela will be appreciated.
This total route we have estimated to be around 850 km so expecting 34 days of walking

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen Camino and I can only offer advice as can many others from Lisbon. You will be learning and teaching us. Hope you check in and tell us about your camino.

Hi, Footsteeps, Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a wonderful walk.

I know there has been some chatter about connecting the Rota Vicentina to the Caminho. I believe there is a way to do it without going through Almada and the 25th of April bridge, because I imagine that could be quite hairy. I think someone found a way to walk to Cacilhas and then take the ferry over. But I am pretty sure that the recommended route stays on the east of the Tejo until it’s north of Lisbon. But I have no first hand experience, so I am unsure. Take a look at some of these older threads.

Try this thread for starters.

Good luck in figuring this out. I assume this is a topic that will have broader interest, because combining the Rota Vicentina with a caminho to Santiago is such a logical idea!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am also doing the same route although I might end up stopping in Lisbon. I too am wondering how to link Santiago do Cacem to Lisboa, but I am determined somehow to find a way!

I am also doing the same route although I might end up stopping in Lisbon. I too am wondering how to link Santiago do Cacem to Lisboa, but I am determined somehow to find a way!
Last spring in mid April I started in Lisbon with three days sightseeing, then took a bus to Porto Covo, where I chose to start the Rota Vicentina Fisherman's Trail. I completed it on the south coast in Sagres, took a bus to Lagos, then another bus back up north to Porto where I walked the Portuguese Camino. It was a nice combination and I was gone a month.

Thank you all for the information. Due to some unforseen circumstances the trip is now postponed to march/april 2021 :cool: which is okay, sort of, but it will then be the holy year. Any comments on walking in a holy year? Despite the setback the research is still interesting.
in my original post I asked about getting from Santiago Cacem to Lisbon, and believe I have found a decent way via the Eurovelo 1 which is meant as a bike path. Below is the link, https://euroveloportugal.com/en/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back