• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lana/Sanabres or Levante/Invierno in winter

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
The short mid summer camino I was hoping for this year is not going to happen so I have turned my mind to a different possibility. It would be solo and so time is less of a constraint than when we were trying to squeeze something into the three weeks hubby could get off work - in fact, if the kids get all their home education goals met by the end of November I could legitimately take two months.

I'm wondering about Ruta de la Lana to Burgos, a few steps on the Frances (including stopping in Moratinos to meet Rebekah), then the Invierno to Santiago.

A second possibility would be Camino de Levante + Sanabres.

Would there be any advantage to one over the other? Or something completely different?
When we finished the Primitivo in October it was down to 3 degrees in the mornings and I was still comfortable in my standard hiking shorts, long sleeved hiking shirt and a vest and gloves. I'm guessing in December/January I'd need a fleece jacket and might even need longs. Would possibly even have to relinquish my sandals....but that's all detail that can be sorted IF I get the go ahead from the Powers That Be on the Home Front!

Please help me decide on a route first so I can put together a convincing proposal!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@mspath our Resident Winter Walker, would you consider either of these options safe in December/January for someone unaccustomed to mountaineering and snow (although I do know they’re not Everest!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Rachel,

Which winter months are you thinking about?

I haven’t yet walked the Lana, but I think that just looking at the map, you would have more possibility of dicey weather in winter if you went on the Levante. The part around Avila especially.

Econodan and Ellen started out on the Lana in January, but she was injured so they had to stop. Wasn’t Sara (the bridge dance young woman) also on the Lana in late fall/early winter?

And we have definitely had a couple of forum members who walked the Invierno in winter, @chinasky was one and most recently @Athena Atterdag. They both posted.

And don’t forget that you can detour off the Lana when you get to Santo Domingo and take the San Olav on into Burgos. A favorite of mine!

Abrazos and sending you and your country many thoughts. Laurie

I'm no help with your question, Rachel, but wanted to chime in to agree with Laurie:
And don’t forget that you can detour off the Lana when you get to Santo Domingo and take the San Olav on into Burgos. A favorite of mine!
Mine too.

Many thoughts are coming your way these sad days....te aroha...
V

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Rachel,

Which winter months are you thinking about?

I haven’t yet walked the Lana, but I think that just looking at the map, you would have more possibility of dicey weather in winter if you went on the Levante. The part around Avila especially.

Econodan and Ellen started out on the Lana in January, but she was injured so they had to stop. Wasn’t Sara (the bridge dance young woman) also on the Lana in late fall/early winter?

And we have definitely had a couple of forum members who walked the Invierno in winter, @chinasky was one and most recently @Athena Atterdag. They both posted.

Abrazos and sending you and your country many thoughts. Laurie

Thanks for your input Laurie. I’d be looking at December/January and have not found much information about these months. I’ve done climate searches for cities along both route combos but that is useful only to a certain extent.
I’m even wondering if perhaps the Francés would be a more sensible option for winter.

I have a student who walked the Frances with his mom a few Decembers ago. He stayed at the Peaceable, and though they didn’t make it all the way to Santiago, he said he thought it was a great choice of route. The list of open albergues that is published every winter is such a valuable document. The Frances goes through such gorgeous country, the cities are nice treats, and without the crowds I would be tempted too! Maybe combo Frances and Invierno when you get to Ponferrada.

The Frances goes through such gorgeous country, the cities are nice treats, and without the crowds I would be tempted too! Maybe combo Frances and Invierno when you get to Ponferrada.
On the face of it this looks like a good suggestion, but one of my goals is to walk the Francés one day (i have clocked up a few trails now, but never SJPdP to Santiago), so I’d probably save the Invierno to do with the Levante and just do a straight run on the Francés this time. Need to check out numbers - I do want a quiet time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.