• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Land entry to France without passe sanitaire?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuertebrazos

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi there. I plan to take a taxi from Pamplona to SDPP in order to start my walk on September 17th. As a US citizen, the only proof of vaccination I have is my CDC card. (Oh, and also the New York State Excelsior pass on my phone, which does have a barcode, though I can't imagine this is will do me any good.)

I'll only be in France for one night. The next day I will walk to Roncesvalles. Any thoughts or advice on whether I will be able to enter France by road for this short visit?

Thanks, pilgrims.

Daniel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The pass sanitare is not an entry permit, but an activity one. In theory, you need it to enter museums, churches, restaurants, etc. Enforcement has had some holes, but generally thorough.

You won’t have a problem entering France, but without the pass you may have a problem getting services there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The pass sanitare is not an entry permit, but an activity one. In theory, you need it to enter museums, churches, restaurants, etc. Enforcement has had some holes, but generally thorough.

You won’t have a problem entering France, but without the pass you may have a problem getting services there.
I crossed into France from Irun a couple of weeks ago and had to show vaccination status at the border. I also crossed on another day and was not stopped.

We entered via bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean on Aug. 21st and there was no immigration into France. There were a few restaurants who required the French QR code to eat but we found others who didn’t ask. Our hostel did not ask for a QR code either. To be equipped we went ahead and got a Antigen test in Pamplona the day we took the bus ( we had our results in less than 2 hours). Direct message me if you have ?’s. Buen Camino!

Hi there. I plan to take a taxi from Pamplona to SDPP in order to start my walk on September 17th. As a US citizen, the only proof of vaccination I have is my CDC card. (Oh, and also the New York State Excelsior pass on my phone, which does have a barcode, though I can't imagine this is will do me any good.)

I'll only be in France for one night. The next day I will walk to Roncesvalles. Any thoughts or advice on whether I will be able to enter France by road for this short visit?

Thanks, pilgrims.

Daniel
Hello, I just arrived in Irun from France, the pass sanitaire is for restaurants etc and they are pretty strict with it, the US barcode probably won't work, my UK one didn't, takeaway food in SDPP maybe? and get over to Spain 😊

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello, I just arrived in Irun from France, the pass sanitaire is for restaurants etc and they are pretty strict with it, the US barcode probably won't work, my UK one didn't, takeaway food in SDPP maybe? and get over to Spain 😊
You can import the UK NHS vaccination codes into the French pass sanitaire which is the TousAntiCovid app.

Depends how you travel.

If that's on a long-distance train/bus, you can get randomly checked by the Police ; though that pretty much boils down to being disembarked before the border plus all of the hassle that entails etc. Rarely on local trains.

But in most instances, the border police are far more concerned with preventing illegal immigration than anything else, so that unless you are of black African or North African ethnicity, the likelihood even if you encounter a border control will be that they'll just get a look at you in torchlight and leave you be.

And even if you are of black African or North African ethnicity, and have your vaxx and other papers in order, there will be little problem at the border.

I had heard this in the Spanish Press somewhere, and was able to verify it in person last month when I crossed the bridge from Irún to Hendaye at 1AM on my way back home from ending stage 3 of my current Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Daniel, my wife and I are US citizens and also begin our camino from St jean on Sept 17th. We will walk the Napoleon route to Roncesvalles. Hope to see you on the trail. Bob

I am in France now on Holiday and the CDC card is widely accepted. As of yet, none of our friends without the official EU QR code pass have been refused entry anywhere.

They did not scan our Tous Covid passes at passport control or at any time during our flights here till the last flight into Rennes and they just visually checked the dates at the boarding gate.

Things are pretty relaxed here in Brittany.

You should be just fine

Daniel, my wife and I are US citizens and also begin our camino from St jean on Sept 17th. We will walk the Napoleon route to Roncesvalles. Hope to see you on the trail. Bob
Hi Bob, I got my dates mixed up, and will be walking from SJDPP to Roncesvalles on Sunday the 19th. I guess we'll miss each other. Thanks for reaching out. Dan

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Browncountybob,
Today is your big day!
I wish you and your wife a Bon camino.
May you have a wonder-filled journey.

Last edited:
Gracias for all well wishes! Yesterday we took a taxi from Pamplona to St Jean and it rained most of the way there then intermittently throughout the day. The good news is was 10:45 arrival. We dropped off our backpacks and walked directly to the Pilgrim’s office. No waiting, we were processed immediately.

After an amazing meal last night and restive sleep we packed our backpacks for Express Bouricott to transport to Roncesvalles; we both carried daypacks.

Cindi and I began our hike at 7 am in the dark and mist. The last time we walked the Napoleon route was 6 years ago . We took the Valcarlos route in 2017 and 2019. The weather was superb today and we passed through all the famous landmarks with little difficulty. A few rest stops, trail food and lots of hydration.

Of course we went to Casa Sabina to celebrate with beer and wine before we checked in.

All things considered, a great day.
Happy we hiked the Napoleon route again!

Bob and Cindi

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back