• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Language barrier

…I did meet one gentleman that refused to say por favor or gracias, or even a simple Hola. He was very unhappy people did not speak perfect English.
On a Spanish airline, en route to Spain, I heard someone in some row behind me loudly complaining that there was Spanish text on the back of the seat in front of him. I wondered, "Why is that dude going to Spain?" https://HappyHobo.net/2017/01/29/theres-no-place-like-home/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I remember once on the Vdlp, in the albergue in Oliva de Plasencia, we had a communal dinner of 10 or 12. As many have noted, the language of the table is often English. A Spanish couple was sitting across from me and spoke no English. One turned to the other and said “No hay que salir de España para ir al extranjero.” (We don’t need to leave Spain to go to a foreign country). That jolted me and made me realize how rude we were being. True, not everyone speaks Spanish, but I think we English speakers frequently forget how exclusive we are being when we fall into English-only table talk.
Also don't assume no one nearby understands. In a cafeteria in Oklahoma, the couple had the reddest faces I've ever seen when I asked in Spanish where they were from. Similar reaction when using sign language to a deaf couple in a restaurant.

Reminds me of tourists heard over here who become flustered by saying, « why can’t they (meaning the locals non-English speakers) speak English? »

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In English, a classroom of 13-year-olds might snicker and titter when someone uses certain words that are actually completely appropriate in context.
Try teaching that class the French or Spanish word for the animal we call "seal." My pre-teen sons loved to play "liar's poker" in Chinese because they could yell 不是, bùshì! (is not!) and get away with it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Indeed. What is "peas" in one country is "knick-knacks" in another, and "boobs" in a third. You don't want to to learn that by complimenting the hostess on her nice collection of knick-knacks.
Haha, this reminds me of when I started teaching English in French primary schools. I told a class of youngsters that in the next lesson we would talk about their pets and couldn't understand why they were all smirking. My friend and colleague pointed out that 'péter' in French was 'to fart'! 🤭

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Indeed. What is "peas" in one country is "knick-knacks" in another, and "boobs" in a third. You don't want to to learn that by complimenting the hostess on her nice collection of knick-knacks.
And watch out for false cognates. You could end up very embarrassed!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Try Mexican Spanish not usually understood in Spain by Spaniards: it is more a set of laughs than an embarrassment.
This is an odd (and misleading) thing to say.

It is just like people from different English speaking countries - we are clearly speaking the same language and can communicate with each other very well, with only the occasional funny/interesting difference. If you learn any kind of standard Spanish, you will be able to transfer it to another Spanish-speaking country.

Sure I have difficulty understanding a Gallego farmer, or a rapid-fire Andaluz, but they would probably have trouble with each other too!

This is an odd (and misleading) thing to say.

It is just like people from different English speaking countries - we are clearly speaking the same language and can communicate with each other very well, with only the occasional funny/interesting difference. If you learn any kind of standard Spanish, you will be able to transfer it to another Spanish-speaking country.

Sure I have difficulty understanding a Gallego farmer, or a rapid-fire Andaluz, but they would probably have trouble with each other too!
I learned words in Mexico in Spanish-Mexican that Madrilenos did not understand. Misleading did you say?

I learned words in Mexico in Spanish-Mexican that Madrilenos did not understand. Misleading did you say?
Of course, you and I probably know and use words in English that the other doesn't understand.

What I think is misleading is the suggestion that a person who learns standard Spanish in one place will not be able to use it fairly easily in the other place. It can be a discouragement to people who are studying Spanish in one place and are wondering if is a waste of time. It isn't! If you only have a few slang phrases, sure you might have trouble. If you have any reasonable grasp, you will be able to clarify your meaning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Haha, this reminds me of when I started teaching English in French primary schools. I told a class of youngsters that in the next lesson we would talk about their pets and couldn't understand why they were all smirking. My friend and colleague pointed out that 'péter' in French was 'to fart'! 🤭
Try teaching French or Spanish to thirteen-year-olds wen you get to an animal called foca / phoque.
My sons liked to play liar's poker when they were learning Chinese. They really thought they were getting away with something when they could exclaim "Is not"—不是! (bù shì!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I guess that is one way to successfully exit a class.
Kicked out of the café. Class was already over, except for the summer trip to México.
I learned that the Spanish word for "embarrassed" is avergonzado?
Sure. And pregnant is embarasada. Which didn't go over very well when you were fourteen years old in 1968. But it is impossible to be embarasado at any age. Spelling is important, too—billboard in El Paso once wished all of us a prospero ano nuevo. Bet that insurance company was avergonzado!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to...
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices"...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.