• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Language on the Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Pelegrin:

It all depends on the person and circumstances. If is a person older than me, I address that person as “Usted” to indicate respect to the age. Also applicable If meeting a person of authority (supervisor, security agent, customs officer, doctor, etc.). The “Tu”, would be used with people more in your inner circle (family members, friends, closed coworkers). This last express a more relaxed situation.
The above is the way I was educated by my parents.
Yes, those are the general rules. But, here in Spain the treatment is "tu" among members of a group (pilgrims, runners, mountaniers, etc). Therefore I always use "tu" to address other Spanish pilgrims. But to address locals I usually follow the general rules that you mentioned.
In the case of Latinamerican pilgrims, I follow the general rules just in case because I know that they may be more formal.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Latin America is common to say Como están? to friends and family instead of Como estáis?.
In Brasil the treatment is always voçe.
That custom that you
I heard a coworker once use como esta to a friend of his. Afterwards I asked him about this. His answer was that Dominicans tend to not pronounce the S at word endings.
Well that is a peculiar thing among the people of Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico (I grew there). The “S” sound is in many cases pronounced as an “inspired” sound and not as you exhale. You need to have a sharp ear to really hear the “missing”; that’s why you didn’t heard it. That’s one of the characteristics of the Caribbean Spanish speaking language. That’s how we are..... 😁😎😊😄

Hi all!
Over my life i have picked up some small amounts of different languages;at a very basic level!
I was a trained chef and worked at the Savoy Hotel in the Strand so had menu French and a bit more;i could at the time understand more than i could speak.
I did A S level German and Japanese for a place at Uni!
That was 30 + years ago.
Started Spanish about 18 months ago did two courses which i enjoyed,however to be honest all of the amounts of the languages i learned have not been in enough depth,so i have forgotten much and remembered little. The older i get the slower i get.

I think an immersion course is a great option;sink or swim and something i would readily consider!

I spoke in broken Spainish to a Taxi driver in Mallorca and he responded in very good English!
I said wow you are really good, he said that's because i speak it everyday you only speak Spanish once a year on holiday and i had to agree the difference!!

In most situations it helps to have the basics i believe it's stated 300 words is enough in most languages(survival level); that's all well an good if the question you ask receives a simple answer.
My problem is getting to understand any language at speed and to be honest you need practice and more practice.

Since finishing the Spanish course and from the day i left till now i only speak Spanish to Google on my phone/computer so when i arrive in Spain the first person i meet will be my guinea pig!
I listened to a Spanish couple on Youtube talking about Combarro.
Yep i recognised quite a few words ;but that's not having a conversation.
Now Portuguese is in the mix, life's is gunna get confusing!!!!
Woody.

Yes, those are the general rules. But, here in Spain the treatment is "tu" among members of a group (pilgrims, runners, mountaniers, etc). Therefore I always use "tu" to address other Spanish pilgrims. But to address locals I usually follow the general rules that you mentioned.
In the case of Latinamerican pilgrims, I follow the general rules just in case because I know that they may be more formal.
In the case you meet a Cuban; they way of life is not been too formal if having a good time. Take my word for it, seriously.....😁😀😃

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When all else fails the commonality is pantomime!
A good while ago on the Baztaán route I was staying in a small house attached to a bar one night. Very very quiet village. And this was before my Spanish was as good(-ish) as it is now.
The lady of the bar was trying to explain to me what she was going to cook for my supper (and was not offering any kind of choice) but I could not understand. With a smile she called her mother from the kitchen. A very elderly abuela hobbled in and proceeded to do an imitation of a wild boar which would have earned her a place on the stage of any National Theatre.
It was very tasty.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Generally you don't enter a bar/restaurant except to use the loo, get directions, have a drink, or eat a meal; hence there is no absolute need for a large vocabulary to buy food. Smiles and the basic words hola, por favor, cuanto and gracias will take you far. Also learn to point!!

Many years ago walking west from Leon on the CF in pouring rain at Villadangos del Páramo I staggered dripping and exhausted into a truck stop. What a way to make an impact! The place was packed with about 80 VERY macho men whose lorries were parked in front. All seemed to be eating the menu del dia or special daily menu. When the flustered young waiter rattled off the main course choices l pointed towards the nearest customer's plate, nodded and said por favor. The food was copious, hot and delicious.

At dessert time half the room seemed curious about what I would choose. I pointed to rice pudding, but fruit and chocolate cake also appeared on my table por la fuerza en el camino. As the truck drivers left for their coffee served at the bar most waved and wished Buen Camino....All these years later when necessary I still point.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.