• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Language: Portuguese or Spanish

Eswee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese - Coastal (2017)
Primitivo (2019)
I am walking the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago in October 2017 and want to learn one of the two languages, Portuguese or Spanish before I go. Which of the two languages will be the best to learn to be helpful on the route.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one, short stay I had in Portugal I actually asked people if they prefer to speak with me in English or Spanish - the overwhelming response was ENGLISH. I suggest you learn some polite phrases in Portuguese like "Hello", "Good Bye", "Thank You" and "Sorry, I don't speak much Portuguese, may I speak English with you?". And learn a bit more Spanish than that. BUT, these are well traveled routes, people are used to the basic needs of pilgrims (bed, food, drink, church times) so they do know what you need even if you speak very little of their native tongue. BTW duolingo.com is a great resource for learning languages - free and fun!

Buen Camino/Bon Camiño, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
English works very well for me in Portugal and on the rare occasion I can't communicate in English then Spanish works. I do know common phrases in Portuguese but just the basics.

We were hopeless in Portugese, but we used French or English quite often to get directions with no problem.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, Spanish is more useful globally and I think is easier .
But if you want to learn Portugues do it, Portugues is also an important language in the world and is similar to Galego.

Spanish is more useful globally and if you want to walk more Caminos in future.
There are about twice as many native Spanish speakers in the world than there are native Portuguese speakers and there are more countries where Spanish is spoken. There are more native Spanish speakers in the US than there are in Spain. I say learn Spanish first.

When in Portugal: English is preferred to Spanish [remember the Spanish are the ancient "enemies"!!] And Portugal is the only European country with whom England has never been at war.
But most of your journey will be in Spain.
So if it's a choice between learning Portuguese or Spanish for the Portuguese camino from Porto, I would personally learn some Spanish!
Buen camino! or
Bom caminho!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Olá

on the Caminho Português , Portuguese is language number one! Stephen wrote, most of your journey will be in Spain. That´s not true! On the other side of the border you are in Galicia. Well, Galicia is part of Spain, but the Galegos are very proud of their language and their culture.
Galego is very close to Portuguese. So I never had problems of understanding with my Português. In albergues I often had to translate because nobody spoke English. Allright, in Galicia nearly everybody speaks Spanish, but Portuguese is well understood all around.

Bom caminho

Rainer

Thank you all for your response. Look like Spanish is the winner.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back