• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Language?

meALEXb

I was wondering how much Spanish everyone knew before they went on their trip? I have been trying to learn over the past few weeks but I'm far from being able to speak fluently... so will you be able to still enjoy the trip knowing only basic Spanish?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
meALEXb said:
I was wondering how much Spanish everyone knew before they went on their trip? I have been trying to learn over the past few weeks but I'm far from being able to speak fluently... so will you be able to still enjoy the trip knowing only basic Spanish?

Hi, I managed fine on section from St. Jean in France to Santo Domingo with absolutely no Spanish at all ( apart from Buen Camino ). Be open and friendly, and trust the Spanish people you meet.
However, do continue in your efforts to learn some of your hosts language.

Buen Camino,

Brian

meALEXb said:
so will you be able to still enjoy the trip knowing only basic Spanish?

The more you know, the easier you'll be able to interact with the locals - very key in stores and albergues when you're trying to buy something or obtain a service. I took 2 years worth in high school (forgot most of it), and to revitalize those neglected brain cells I spent a lot of time practicing with Pimsleur and Elisabeth Smith's One-Day Spanish during my daily car commute before I did the Camino last summer.

I'd say if you can master the content on Elisabeth Smith's CD (about 70 minutes worth of instruction - 50 words and some simple sentences), you'll do OK. The Spanish like it when you at least try to speak their lingo, and you certainly don't have to be fluent. But when you can speak well enough to make a harried bartender's life a little easier (ideally, know the product, be polite but confident, and know numbers for moneychanging) - well, that goes a long way... :arrow:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I agree with Vinotinto - it is respectful to at least learn some words when visiting another country - Spain is no exception and Spaniards will go out of their way to help if you make an effort.

You won't learn to speak Spanish in a short time but you can learn how to greet people politely, ask directions and order food - learning the basics of a menu and counting is always useful.

Have a look at the BBC's resources e.g:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/ ... rary.shtml

Turn up the volume and get practicing :)

Happy learning

John

I do not know spanish and am quite poor at learning languages. Having said that I was surprised at how well I got on with just a few words and phrases. I especially remember wanting to order something other than the menu of the day one day. As the wait staff approached I had no clue what I would say and then, as if the words came from somewhere else, I spoke and made myself understood! Wow, what a joy!

this year I will be traveling with a gps that has a language program. should be fun. At least I will know how to order ice cream! And, of course, "gin and tonic" is not language specific!

All:

I did some digging in iTunes, and I came across a set of free podcasts for learning Spanish called Coffee Break Spanish. It features some Scottish-sounding folks teaching/learning European Spanish. I listened to some of them, and they seem OK - especially for free (they offer bonus content for cash). Something to consider for those folks bringing an iPod to Spain... :arrow:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.