• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Languages on Le Puy?

Stellere

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2014 - con mi padre
I'm considering walking Le Puy in 2016.

I'm a language hobbyist. I already speak French and Spanish. When walking the Frances in Spain, I often found myself wishing that I could communicate in Italian or German.

If I were to learn the basics of a language other than french before Le Puy, which one would be most useful?

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a French friend who has done many Caminos with a Dutch friend. They have found German to the best common language for them to talk to each other. But, as Falcon says, French is pretty much the language.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When in Rome, do as the Romans do! The same applies for when in France!

If you were able to speak German you might be able to help translate from/into French for those Germans who don't speak another language. But really, French is pretty much what is spoken...
Margaret

The Germans who don't speak French, speak English. The French who don't speak German, speak English. I suspect you have that covered. 85% of the walkers on the Le Puy are French speakers; the remainder are from the Low Countries, North America, or German-speaking lands. I generally found the innkeepers would put the French-speakers into one room, and the rest of us into another. That worked pretty well, actually.

It's helpful to remember to speak English as a Second Language, which differs from the English we speak at home with each other. What's that? (1) Speak more slowly, (2) Intentionally use simple sentence construction, (3) Avoid figures of speech or regional expressions. (English speakers sleep "like logs", while the French sleep "like babies". etc etc). This is a tough go; you really have to translate your thought from "home English" to "English as a Second Language". In some ways, it's an entirely different language: both grammar and vocabulary are different.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My impression is that, as regards pilgrims, English is the unofficial second language in the Camino. So, you can start trying your few French or Spanish words in the path, because some fellow walkers could turn into basic English if needed, and when you are more confident, try your phrases in hotels and bars (where locals are probably more used to foreign people), and finally in the streets. This gradual approach has worked well to me (except in Upper Baviera, in the jakobsweg, where I discovered that older people and peasants speak a local dialect with an accent that, with my very limited comprehension, I could not understand at all :( )

As for Stellere's initial post, if you speak already Spanish, you are probably able to understand and communicate acceptably with Italians. So, German could be a good choice (maybe with the addition of some Bairische Dialekte words and expresions, so you can greet people with a proper Grüß Gott).

Last edited:
The Germans who don't speak French, speak English. The French who don't speak German, speak English. I suspect you have that covered. 85% of the walkers on the Le Puy are French speakers; the remainder are from the Low Countries, North America, or German-speaking lands. I generally found the innkeepers would put the French-speakers into one room, and the rest of us into another. That worked pretty well, actually.

It's helpful to remember to speak English as a Second Language, which differs from the English we speak at home with each other. What's that? (1) Speak more slowly, (2) Intentionally use simple sentence construction, (3) Avoid figures of speech or regional expressions. (English speakers sleep "like logs", while the French sleep "like babies". etc etc). This is a tough go; you really have to translate your thought from "home English" to "English as a Second Language". In some ways, it's an entirely different language: both grammar and vocabulary are different.
Particularly: speak more slowly. Especially if you have a non USA accent.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

When I walked the Chemin du Puy, I regretted I had not polished my german a little bit. I would have been more confortable at dinners with my old/rusty/broken german and german fellow pilgrims would have felt less isolated.

(Funny how many people don't really read the opening question!)
Since you're a hobbyist, I'd say go with German. There are occasional German-speakers who are somewhat isolated. Not all speak English or are comfortable in it. I had some French Alsatian friends who made a point of engaging with German-only hikers and their efforts were much appreciated.

My own German was far too rusty to use, but the Germans/Swiss were amused that I could always tell what they were talking about. I could only demonstrate some knowledge by quoting long-ago-memorized poetry, mostly things I know because they've been set to music by great composers. Like Hermann Hesse's "On going to sleep", best when sung in the Richard Srauss setting:

Now that day has tired me, my ardent desire embraces the the starry night like a weary child.
Hands, stop all your work. Brow, forget all thoughts. Now all my senses want to sink into slumber.
And my soul set free will soar in free flight into the magic circle of the night to live a thousand times more deeply.

Nighty night.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would also recommend German. But don't expect many occasions that this will be of use.

The only chance I had to use German out there was a few restaurants we shared with a group of Germans with an extremely loud tour leader who would translate the entire menu (poorly) with inaccurate commentary on the cuisine. I would have much preferred not understanding it all.

I should add that on another trip we shared a gite with some super nice Germans, and I got to do the poor translation.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back