• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Large umbrella instead of walking poles in Sept.

YoCo

Time of past OR future Camino
Future: Aug 2018 Frances
Has anyone used an umbrella instead of w.p. and how did it work out?

I'd have to buy one once on the Camino...

Just a thought-

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use both. A hiking umbrella which I rig to the shoulder strap of my backpack so it is handsfree, which provides wonderful shade in sunny weather, and protection from the rain without causing me to sweat. Fabulous in all weather except strong wind. I also use two trekking sticks - needed for knee support, hips, and because I have no depth perception.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As far as I'm aware, combinations of umbrella & walking stick do exist, but I'm not sure about walking poles.
The walking umbrella & stick looks like this:

30153045StockschirmSafebrellaschwarzbersichtbild.jpg

You can pull the walking stick out of the umbrella and use the umbrella (in one hand) and the walking stick (in the other hand) at the same time.
This 'safebrella' is made by a German compnay named Ossenberg.
http://www.ossenberg.com/de/Stocksc...brella-DUO-Design-schwarz-kleine-Ausfuehrung1

Personally I'd prefer a handsfree umbrella so I can use both walking poles freely. This hiking umbrella is sold in the Forum Store.

Screen_Shot_2016-08-25_at_11.44.43_compact.png

https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...la/products/swing-handsfree-trekking-umbrella

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have found the hands free as sold on the forum store invaluable on the trip that I am currently on (the Via Romea Germanica). I am in Italy at present where the temperatures are posted at around 30 with a real feel of about 37. It is great to use in the hot weather and to be able to walk in my very own patch of shade, but it is also invaluable to use in wet weather. I have a pack cover, to protect the pack, but by using the hands free I can use devices like my camera and tablet (for mapps) without them getting wet, and best of all i don't need windscreen wipers for my glasses! In the summer months I don't need to put a raincoat on if there is rain, and therfore remain cooler. It is good in a thunderstorm too as you can put it up quickly. I too use two poles (Pacer poles)

I have both. If I had to choose, it would be no contest; the poles win. It rained so little when I took the Euroschrim, that I doubt I will take it again. If you plan to use it every day as a sunshade, it might be worth it. My Tilley hat does that, though, at a fraction of the weight and trouble, and my only worry is keeping elephants from eating it.;)

Real trekking poles and umbrellas just preform very distinct functions. There are also times when the wind goes horizontal and most umbrellas won’t help. But you need the trekking poles I found out. But learn to use them correctly. If you use them correctly or more or less so, they are a great advantage in all situations. If you don’t....well, don’t

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have both. If I had to choose, it would be no contest; the poles win. It rained so little when I took the Euroschrim, that I doubt I will take it again. If you plan to use it every day as a sunshade, it might be worth it. My Tilley hat does that, though, at a fraction of the weight and trouble, and my only worry is keeping elephants from eating it.;)

One of the major benefits I found using our Umbrellas as sun shades, was the significant reduction in water consumption. Probably about 40%. More than makes up for the extra weight.....

For me the advantage of the umbrella as sunshade is that without a hat my head can "breathe" and feel the slightest breeze. Plus the umbrella gives shade to the whole upper body. For years now I have been using both umbrella and trekking poles.

Now I reread your post, falcon 269, another advantage of the umbrella would be that you probably do not have to worry about elephants eating it!

@falcon269 I’ve swapped the Euroshirm for a lightweight Helinox but canabalised the Euroshirm fittings using a glue gun, so they fit the Helinox... It was so useful on the Via de la Plata.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I looked for a dual purpose hiking pole/umbrella but couldn't find one long enough for my height (6'1"/185cms).
"Standard" umbrellas are fine strolling the streets of a city (especially with a bowler hat don't you know) or for Singing in the Rain but you need something that comes up to elbow height for normal walking and a bit longer for going down hills.
Of course you might be just the right size to do this with a Standand - I settled on a normal hiking pole and a silver coated, fold up umbrella.

I have, so far, not found most days on my caminos having appropriate weather conditions compatible with the use of an umbrella. I have walked in Sept, Feb, March and April. Most of my experience has been that when it rained the winds were fierce. On a couple of occasions we have had to hold on to the poles tight as the wind lifted them with each step. One day we walked with a headwind of 75km per hour for 6 hours. I would rather have clothing that kept me dry. I can see, however, where an umbrella might come in handy as sun protection, especially involving hot, low wind weather. When it is hot, I wear a Columbia Booney hat that covers my neck and head. When it gets too hot I wet the hat and cool off.

@falcon269 I’ve swapped the Euroshirm for a lightweight Helinox but canabalised the Euroshirm fittings using a glue gun, so they fit the Helinox... It was so useful on the Via de la Plata.
I'd love to know how you adapted the fittings. I have used the Euroschirm hands free telescope umbrella the last two years, but have recently purchased their Light Trek Ultra (half the weight!). I have some shock cord and cord locks, but if there is a way to adapt the clips that would be fantastic. And where do you attach the handle of your umbrella?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The new umbrella has a much narrower shaft than the Euroshirm so I used a glue gun to drip some hot glue into the metal clips of the Euroshirm fittings, so that they became a tight fitting on the new shaft. The shaft is, of course, not as long as the Euroshirm, so I used cord locks attached to the shoulder straps of my pack around the handle of the Helinox (it has ridges around the handle, which help) to keep it positioned half way between my waist and my shoulder, then I pulled the handle cord down and around the waistband of my pack. All a bit difficult to explain. It takes a bit of getting set up to get it in the right place (my boobs get in the way, it would be much easier for a guy!) but once done it is good for the day.

The new umbrella has a much narrower shaft than the Euroshirm so I used a glue gun to drip some hot glue into the metal clips of the Euroshirm fittings, so that they became a tight fitting on the new shaft. The shaft is, of course, not as long as the Euroshirm, so I used cord locks attached to the shoulder straps of my pack around the handle of the Helinox (it has ridges around the handle, which help) to keep it positioned half way between my waist and my shoulder, then I pulled the handle cord down and around the waistband of my pack. All a bit difficult to explain. It takes a bit of getting set up to get it in the right place (my boobs get in the way, it would be much easier for a guy!) but once done it is good for the day.
Thanks! I'm thinking that maybe I'll try the glue gun idea. I'm thinking of somehow also attaching to the sternum strap. Experimentation this weekend!

Do you mean using the umbrella as a walking pole when it's not raining? Or just that you don't have room for both and you have to choose which to bring?

Yes, dual purpose umbrella since I prefer not to use poles.

I'm not tall so the umbrella could be the right height.

I do like all these options, though. Thank you everyone for your. 02!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As soon as I returned from my 2016 Camino I ordered the pack umbrella that is offered at the forum store. It attaches to your back pack hands free. I’m not sure how it would test insome of the wind gusts on the mesteta but I was willing to try. More for shade then rain. I remember us pilgrims trying to respite under any available shade in the hot summer heat.

In reading through this thread the commentary on umbrellas has been obviously used to 'cover ' for the real conversation that has been trying to emerge. The issue of elephants on the Camino. I have walked the Frances twice, and have noticed a significant upsurge in the numbers of elephants from '15 to '17/ West of Los Arcos, where the cafe movil is (or is rumored to be ), I noticed a huge uptick in elephant remains cast indiscriminately about the path. All the yellow arrows in the world cannot erase the truth that the Spanish government does not want you to know.
Pilgrims beware!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.