• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Las Medulas near Ponferrada- Possible alternative route or day trip?

camino.tati

Does anyone know if there is an alternative route going through Las medulas or if there is a bus to get there in order to spend the day there? It would take too long to walk there and back to the camino frances.. Any information on this area would be appreciated :) It looks beauutiful in the photos!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have walked from Ponferrada to Las Medulas, but that was because I walked the Camino de Invierno, which goes from Ponferrada south of the Camino Frances. You couldn't walk there and back in a day, but you could walk there, spend the night there (I can give you names of places to stay) and walk back to Ponferrada the next day. You would also have the advantage of being able to visit the pretty amazingly perched castle of Cornatel, which is along the way.

If you are interested in the Camino de Invierno, it is a beautiful, well-marked, solitary alternative to the Camino frances. There's a section of this forum dedicated to it, you can get ideas on stages, etc.

I think Las Medulas is a UNESCO world heritage site. What I learned in the museum I visited there is that it's what left of the mountains after the Romans blasted water through them and made the mountains explode and give up their gold. So these are essentially mountain innards. In spite of such an ignominious origin, it is an imposing kind of site. You can walk up to a ridge on the southern side and get an amazing view from afar, and you can also take some of the many trails through the area, weaving around the stumps that are left.

There is some good elevation gain, two major ascents from Ponferrada, one up to the castle, then you descend and then go up again to As Medulas. So it's not an easy walk, but it is a great walk! Buen camino, Laurie

camino.tati,

As Laurie mentioned Las Medulas were indeed inscribed as a World Heritage site by Unesco in December 1997. Here is the official listing with historic info and pictures.

While in the Ponferrada area do NOT miss this remote 10th century church, Santiago de Penalba. Originally part of a monastery this is a Mosarabic gem and a protected Spanish landmark.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
camino.tati,

As Laurie mentioned Las Medulas were indeed inscribed as a World Heritage site by Unesco in December 1997. Here is the official listing with historic info and pictures.

While in the Ponferrada area do NOT miss this remote 10th century church, Santiago de Penalba. Originally part of a monastery this is a Mosarabic gem and a protected Spanish landmark.

Margaret Meredith

Thanks for mentioning this! I would love to visit this remote village and monastery! Would you suggest getting a bus there and back for the visit??

Only the church remains from the Santiago de Penalba monastery and a tiny village. You can get bus info from the Ponferrada tourist bureau.

There also seems to be a Santiago Calitrava bridge in Ponferrada (or a good copy ) and a sleek contemporary energy museum Ene. National Energy Museum.

MM

Thank you peregrina2000 and Margaret for clearing that up for me. I visited Las Medulas this summer in the campervan. When I saw the yellow arrows I had no recollection of having walked through there, they even seemed to be going in the wrong direction. It is a beautiful place and well worth a visit but you would need a day to explore. It might be a good place for a stopover. Also a good alternative to the Saria section.

Attachments

• 20130616_112151.jpg
    20130616_112151.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 10
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hadn't heard of this place until this thread. Thank you for mentioning it! It looks amazing.

We were there in May this year. We took a taxi for a five-hour visit and he was able to drive us around to the main view site, which is awe inspiring. It is definitely worth a visit if you have time, but it is off the beaten track.

I agree with wayfarer that you need at least a half day to visit Las Medulas-- there's a little museum with lots of good information, and kms of paths that give you great views. Wayfarer has a good shot from below, here's one from above:

AsMedulas.jpg

And for anyone tempted to walk from Ponferrada, either to start the Camino de Invierno, or as a detour, here's a shot of the castle you pass on the way. all in all, it's a very nice walk from Ponferrada -- it feels so good to have some ups and downs after all those days on flat!

cornatel.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Only the church remains from the Santiago de Penalba monastery and a tiny village. You can get bus info from the Ponferrada tourist bureau.
MM

Oh, Margaret, Santiago de Penalba is a place I've wanted to visit for a long time. You can walk there from El Acebo, apparently there is a way to continue on from Santiago de Penalba to Ponferrada. And there is also a circuit trail, the Valle del Silencio, that looks to be stunning, as it takes you past some old caves occupied by hermit monks, and the like. Rebekah is lucky enough to have done this alternative, and here are a few more threads for anyone whose interest is piqued. Next time I'm on the Frances at El Acebo, I am DETERMINED to get to Santiago de Penalba!!!

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/wonderful-b-b-in-acebo.15388/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/advice-on-starting-from-el-acebo.10959/
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/las-médulas.9600/

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back