• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last 100 km 2 stamps a day

sitges54

Time of past OR future Camino
Silly question, but taken literally if someone was ailing, or having no time restraints, and decided to walk the last portion in 10 days, or even 20 days, does that mean 20 or 40 stamps respectively, need to be collected for a Compostela?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm not quite sure about Falcon269's answer. As far as I know, one has to give proof of having walked the last 100 kms to Santiago. Whether it takes 4 days (for a fast walker), or 14 days (for Los Caracoles), there is proof to be given. Have your Credencial stamped in abundance whenever you can. o_O

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This just came up on another thread. The rule is one thing, and the actual practice in the pilgrims' office may be something else. Many pilgrims report getting the compostela without having two stamps a day for the last 100 km. But, to be safe, if you want the compostela, no matter where you have started walking, you should get two stamps every day that you are walking, starting at the 100 km mark. Here's what the pilgrims' office website says:
  • You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/

Silly question, but taken literally if someone was ailing, or having no time restraints, and decided to walk the last portion in 10 days, or even 20 days, does that mean 20 or 40 stamps respectively, need to be collected for a Compostela?
Yes, it still means at least two sellos a day.
Wish you well, Peter.

Two sellos a day for the last 100 km but I haven't seen it enforced if you have come from say, St. Jean Pied de Port or some other distant place and only have one stamp per day. One thing I noted from a posting on another thread: if you run out of space and are going to fill up your credencial before you arrive in Santiago and will have to start a second one, I suggest you start the second one at least 100 km away from Santiago. That way you can at least present one credencial which, in and of itself, fully meets the requirements for a compostela.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used two books but cut off the first page of the second book and glued it behind the first. So it just looked like one long book. No problems.
Only two books @Kanga?

On this year's slow walk, from Sarria we collected over 30 stamps each. It was a few more than the 20 that we needed to meet the pilgrim office test. As others have said, if it is clear you have walked from SJPP, they didn't worry about counting the one's from Sarria.

Last edited:
In May I walked from Sarria but didn't realise I needed two stamps per day. Pilgrims on this forum encouraged me on my last day to present my credencial anyway.... Which I did, without explaining. (The pilgrim in the queue behind me said I looked as muddy as him, and he had walked from SJDPP, so he reckoned I would pass as a bona fide pilgrim on appearance alone :) Anyway, the lovely young man at the desk looked very carefully at my credentiale, but didn't comment on my sellos, and all went smoothly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since when are these 2 sellos obligatory for the last 100 kms? I did the Camino from Roncesvalles in 2009 and took just one sello a day, all the way to Santiago. I was with a large group of peregrinos, and this was never mentioned among us. I don't think anyone took 2 sellos the last 100 kms. We all got our Compostelas in the end. But this was seven years ago.

BP

I have four different style Pilgrim passports. All of them explain that a minimum of two stamps per day during the last 100 km are required for the Compostela. The older version and the new version that Ivar sells, has the similar explanation in the front of the book and on the top of every page where the Sellos are collected that 2 per day are required. It is all is Spanish but not that difficult to translate.

Having said all that, the volunteers in the Pilgrim office didn't seem to spend much time looking at the books. I think that they can get a sense if a person walked the Camino or not.

I enjoy looking at my Passports because the stamps remind me of the places where I have been. I wish that the folks with the Sharpie Marking Pens would leave them at home, instead of defacing the distance markers. From the Galacia border to Santiago are brand new distance markers. Some have already been vandalized.

Having a passport full of beautiful stamps is better memory maker for this incredible experience.

Last edited:
See https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/passport-stamp-requirement.10816/ where a poster says in May 2011: "When I completed my Camino from SJPP in 2009 [the pilgrim's] office warned me that from 2010 a pilgrim must obtain 2 stamps per day in their passport."

IOW, the concept of 2 stamps per day seems to be fairly old news. The idea behind it seems to be that it is an easily and quickly verifiable as well as reasonably reliable method to show that you walked the way. Other methods of providing credible evidence that you did walk as required are apparently also accepted. I am confident that the fictional pilgrim who decided to walk the last portion of 100 km in 20 days could show this credibly without 40+ sellos.

Thanks, from 2010, that answers my questions then. So I was lucky to do this in 2009...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This just came up on another thread. The rule is one thing, and the actual practice in the pilgrims' office may be something else. Many pilgrims report getting the compostela without having two stamps a day for the last 100 km. But, to be safe, if you want the compostela, no matter where you have started walking, you should get two stamps every day that you are walking, starting at the 100 km mark. Here's what the pilgrims' office website says:
  • You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/
I met a lovely German guy Rob who humbled me when I talked about my Compostela . " I did this for myself not a piece of paper" and perhaps that is how we should all view it. It should be enough to make the journey and give thanks in the Cathedral and really nearly all the crowds on the last 120 are there for the piece of paper.

It should be enough to make the journey and give thanks in the Cathedral and really nearly all the crowds on the last 120 are there for the piece of paper.
What evidence do you have for this statement? If it is that the vast majority of those who walk the last 100km get their compostela, I would point out that you should make the same comparison for the long distance walkers. Most of those I have walked with over two pilgrimages on the CF and discussed this with intended to meet the formal requirements of the Cathedral, and to have that acknowledged by receiving the compostela.

If it is your personal view that completing the pilgrimage and praying in the Cathedral is enough, did you forego receiving the compostela yourself?

Hey no need for the aggression it's only my opinion. You are right about my Compostela and I had to meet some right thinking people after getting it to make me realise that the journey and not the paper is the important thing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Since when are these 2 sellos obligatory for the last 100 kms? I did the Camino from Roncesvalles in 2009 and took just one sello a day, all the way to Santiago. I was with a large group of peregrinos, and this was never mentioned among us. I don't think anyone took 2 sellos the last 100 kms. We all got our Compostelas in the end. But this was seven years ago.

BP
I walked both in 2013and 2016 from SJPP to Santiago and only got one stamp/sello per day and got my compestella with no questions asked. My understanding is that the 2/day sello is only if one starts in Sarria or walks only the last 100 Kms.

I walked from Sarria to Santiago last year. 5 Days walking and 5 days relaxing and not walking. Only ever stamped on walking days. Got my compostela.

@Richard A Stead, I apologize for mistaking your statement that
... really nearly all the crowds on the last 120 are there for the piece of paper.
for an assertion of fact, rather than
it's only my opinion.
Nonetheless, it is a pretty damning opinion to have formed about the many thousands of pilgrims who walk just the last 100km, and it is not unreasonable that you be asked to share why you have formed such a view of their motivations.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This could go back and forward so as I said this is my opinion formed by talking to many people who seem obsessed by stamps and certificates. You have a different view and I could just as easily ask why you think otherwise but I suspect we will never agree so I think we should agree to disagree.

This could go back and forward so as I said this is my opinion formed by talking to many people who seem obsessed by stamps and certificates. You have a different view and I could just as easily ask why you think otherwise but I suspect we will never agree so I think we should agree to disagree.
PS I think I should also mention that I have walked across the Sinai Desert also from the Dead Sea to Petra and across the Great Rift Valley none of which produce a certificate so hence my view on the achievement and not the piece of paper being ( for me at least ) the important thing.

PS I think I should also mention that I have walked across the Sinai Desert also from the Dead Sea to Petra and across the Great Rift Valley none of which produce a certificate so hence my view on the achievement and not the piece of paper being ( for me at least ) the important thing.
Richard, thank you for your reply. I think we will continue to differ about whether the camino is a Christian pilgrimage to the tomb of St James or just a long walk. I take the view that it is the former. As a result, I see that it is the destination that is important, and arrival there is the achievement.

Of course, it is also an achievement to complete any of the camino paths, whether it be the 100 or so km of the CI, the last parts of the CF, CP, VDLP, Norte, etc, etc, or indeed the whole length of these longer routes. But to some extent, I see achieving those longer distances as much a matter of the time and money one is prepared to commit to the endeavour as it is to any underlying determination required to walk each day for weeks on end.

I know that when I walked in 2014, I did not have the time available to walk the whole of any of the longer routes, and chose to walk to Santiago from Covas, near Ferrol, and then walk on to Muxia to visit the Santuario de Virxe de Barca and then Finisterre and the Faro. I rather thought of these latter walks as more sight-seeing than as part of my pilgrimage, which had ended in Santiago.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is an interesting question but let us remember that the forum rules forbid discussions about religion. We do allow some leeway for personal experiences (this post for example) but these threads almost always end in acrimony.

So anyone who cares to answer, please take care. And no proselytising.

It is an interesting question but let us remember that the forum rules forbid discussions about religion. We do allow some leeway for personal experiences (this post for example) but these threads almost always end in acrimony.

So anyone who cares to answer, please take care. And no proselytising.
@Kanga
post deleted

No need, your post was fine. I was just issuing a precautionary notice....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back