• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last 100 km least amount of car traffic

lmendis

Time of past OR future Camino
TBD
My group plans to do the last 100 km in October 2022 and is looking for a route with the least amount of road traffic. We don't want to walk on busy roads or next to busy highways. Which route do folks recommend?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to the forum! This is the place to get all the information and advice (sometimes conflicting) that you could want! Are you asking about the major route options (i.e. the Camino Frances vs. Portugues vs. Ingles vs. Sanabres) or are you asking at a more detailed level? As I can recall, road walking was not a big issue on the last 100 km of the most popular Camino Frances, so I am curious if you have got a wrong impression from somewhere, and if this is your main criteria for route choice.

Welcome to the forum! This is the place to get all the information and advice (sometimes conflicting) that you could want! Are you asking about the major route options (i.e. the Camino Frances vs. Portugues vs. Ingles vs. Sanabres) or are you asking at a more detailed level? As I can recall, road walking was not a big issue on the last 100 km of the most popular Camino Frances, so I am curious if you have got a wrong impression from somewhere, and if this is your main criteria for route choice.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I'm asking about the major route options (Camino Frances vs Portugues vs Ingles vs Sanabres). I've seen pictures where folks are walking alongside major roads - which seems like it would be noisy and not pleasant. Hoping to minimize that type of experience. I don't mind walking alongside or on roads that aren't too busy, Which route would be recommended?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have walked Sarria to Santiago 3 times, including twice in October, and I don't remember a lot of major road. I mostly remember country roads and paths. That route is so busy with walkers at some times of year, that it would be a serious hazard to have pilgrims on the major roads. Likely the photos you have seen were taken at other points along the Camino Frances.

Often there is some road walking for a short section approaching, through or out of towns, but those towns are part of the experience.

Maybe get a GPS/KML track of all the Caminos (see this website) and put it on Google Earth, then follow it along.

We've also walked from Sarria to Santiago, we did it with the kids when they were 10 and 13 years old. Like the poster above, we felt pretty safe and most of the walking was in country roads with little traffic. Three years later we walked the Sanabres and I felt that it had more walking alongside the highway than Sarria to Santiago, but we didn't felt we were in danger.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just a thought, life is not always pretty. We try to graciously accept both the good and bad and make the best of it. One morning a few years ago while leaving Leon through a rather unattractive area with a lot of traffic, I stopped at a bar for a most delicious cup of coffee con leche and good company from the proprietor. Little gifts arrive when you least expect them!

The final day of walking on the Portuguese, Ingles and Frances are basically walks from exurbia Santiago into the city. No way to avoid some of the roads but they are not heavily trafficked.

The Ingles is a nice route with only one short section that I remember along a busier road near Bruma, but you are rewarded with a stop at Casa Avelina for refreshments and some of the best Camino hospitality. Most of it is very quiet, even when you are on pavement.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a "short-cut" option just out from Sarria (just after you cross the railway line) that follows and crisscrosses LU-633. LU-633 is a busier road but not a motorway.

The main route doesn't follow this path and I am not sure how much it is used. I don't even recollect seeing the turn off for it.

The short-cut path is shown on the map pointed to by @C clearly and is the more northerly route.

Similarly, when exiting Portomarin there is an option to follow LU-633 whereas the main route goes up through a forest trail instead.

There are likely other similar options further along that I can't be bothered looking for.

These options are not the main route and are easy to avoid and are probably included for cyclists or others who may have difficulty with off-road climbs. People in wheelchairs for example.

Last edited:
My biggest traffic issue between Sarria and Santiago was an out of control horse running up the road toward us from behind with a rider that seemed completely out of his element. I am not kidding. We actually jumped off the road to get out of the way.

That man had no business riding a horse he could not handle, but we survived.

Don’t recall any major car traffic issues.

There was a stretch of the Ingles before Siguero that was near a motorway, but the Frances and Sanabres are both pretty mellow. There is road walking, but it's small roads, with light traffic. I can't speak of the Porgugues, but would say about the Frances and Sanabres/Invierno that you needn't be concerned.

(An aside: the camino is full of contrasts, both beauty and grit. People who only want the former miss the the richness of the experience, and tte gifts ithas to offer.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would probably go with The Francés. There is a small bit of highway walking coming out Portomarin upto Gonzar but apart from that it is pretty rural. An alternative is the Inglés but again there is a stretch of walking by the highway coming into Sigueiro but can be avoided if after you pass under the highway you take the second right turn rather thean the marked first right turn. For a group, the Francés is much better facilitised with bars and lots of accommodation options and that would be my recommendation. The last 100km of the Portuguese has more road walking than either the Francés or the Inglés but is still a lovely route but would be my third choice. Hope that helps. Buen Camino!

The Ingles is a nice route with only one short section that I remember along a busier road near Bruma, but you are rewarded with a stop at Casa Avelina for refreshments and some of the best Camino hospitality. Most of it is very quiet, even when you are on pavement.
I would agree that the Ingles from El Ferrol is an excellent route and the Cafe Avelina is indeed a highlight of hospitality. There is some "roadwork" on all the routes but on the Ingles the traffic is never a big issue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back