Search 69,459 Camino Questions

last 100K of Primativo vs Frances

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Has anyone done Camino Primativo as well as Frances? I would like to get an idea of how the landscapes compare. I did Camino Ingles last year and LOVED the trees and mountains. I would love to do something similar, but a different route next May. I'm considering Primativo, as I'm not a fan of crowds. Does anyone know how the two compare?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To be sure, you are asking about the last 100km only?. If so, the Primitivo joins the Frances in Melide, so you are basically only walking some 50km that are not on the Frances. And Lugo to Melide is not very different that Sarria to Melide. 100 km is a very short distance for real geographic differences. Same would apply with the last 100km on the Portuguese. Now, apparently the Ourense walk is quite mountainous, but that is all I know about it.

Has anyone done Camino Primativo as well as Frances? I would like to get an idea of how the landscapes compare. I did Camino Ingles last year and LOVED the trees and mountains. I would love to do something similar, but a different route next May. I'm considering Primativo, as I'm not a fan of crowds. Does anyone know how the two compare?

The best part of Primitivo is the first 100km from Oviedo.
The Ingles whilst lovely is no comparison with the beauty of the Primitivo.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just in terms of scenery, I think that the Camino from Sarria is prettier than either the 100 km from Ourense or the 100 from Lugo. The last 100 km of the Invierno, from Monforte de Lemos, would get my vote as the prettiest last 100 km. I'm not saying that's the only or the best criterion that determines the "best" Caminos, but that's my purely aesthetic/scenic evaluation.

The best of the Primitivo (if you like mountains) is before Lugo so if a Compostella is not important to you then you could choose any 100kms. Start point might depend on where you can reach most easily and whether you want to see the high points like Puerto de Palo.
Otherwise Lugo to Melide works OK and you join the crowds there, and can qualify for a Compostela on reaching Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.