• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last 100km of the Camino Portugues, beginning on the coast - starting point? crowds?

LorneB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues - Porto to Vigo, 2017; Vigo to SDC to Muxia, 2018
Last year, I had the pleasure of walking the Coastal Camino Portgues from Porto to Vigo. It was a delightful experience (here's some photographic evidence), and I’m thinking about resuming more or less from where I left off, and going all the way to Santiago. With that in mind, a couple of questions:

I believe Vigo is a little shy of being 100km away, so I'll have to retrace at least part of my walk (I can think of worse things) if I’d like a compostella. Baiona seems like a good starting point, but any other suggestions?

Also, I’ve heard that for those last 100km, things can get quite crowded. It never felt that way between Porto and Vigo. Are we talking I-can’t-get-any-quiet throngs, or is it more peaceful than that? I'd probably be going in May.

Thanks, everyone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked last year in September and yes, it was very crowded as in "sleeping on the floor crowded" and that was even before reaching the 100km mark. Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walked it, last September - no probs, but I always book in advance- I don’t use Albergues - why not consider the Spiritual Variante. It was very rewarding and before it, too, gets overrun.
Account on “ ensuitepilgrimblog.wordpress.com”
Archive 2017.

Buen Camino

Flew into Vigo last June got bus to Valenca and walked back another 8kms or so as there was a particular private hostal I wanted to stay at. All good just book ahead for peace of mind is good advice.

We walked the Portuguese last May. The part after Tui (the 100 k. point) was certainly more crowded, but we didn't find it horribly so. It's all relative, of course. Last May, for example, 21,510 people walked the last 100 k of the Frances and received Compostelas, compared to 7,150 on the Portuguese. We generally booked a day ahead, but once or twice just showed up and didn't have a problem.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
PS: We cut back and forth between the coastal and central caminos. In general, all of the central camino will be a lot more crowded than the coastal one, so you'll undoubtedly find far more people when you cut inland -- either before or after the 100k point.

If you don't want it crowded go in winter.

if albergues are full, then stay at a hostel/hotel - there are lots of options as there are many more larger towns than on the Francés in Galicia. in any case, i found the portugués to be a lot less 'crowded' than the francés last september; however, personal perception can be deceptive and i did not stay at albergues.

good luck and Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walked it, last September - no probs, but I always book in advance- I don’t use Albergues - why not consider the Spiritual Variante. It was very rewarding and before it, too, gets overrun.
Account on “ ensuitepilgrimblog.wordpress.com”
Archive 2017.

Buen Camino

The Spiritual Variante definitely has its appeal, but I was reading something in another post about locals finding walkers odd given the presence of "wild boars." That makes it somewhat less appealing :) Would love to know to what extent this need be a concern, if at all.

The Spiritual Variante definitely has its appeal, but I was reading something in another post about locals finding walkers odd given the presence of "wild boars." That makes it somewhat less appealing :) Would love to know to what extent this need be a concern, if at all.
That is an odd thought from the locals... where I live in south of France there are also many wild boars in the mountains and forests but it doesn't stop the walkers because wild boars don't usually attack humans, in fact they are scared of humans as they are often hunted.. Maybe some people who have done the Spiritual Variante could say if they have met any wild boars ?

The Coastal route merges with the central route at Redondela. When I did the Coastal in 2016, it was very quiet up to that point (only a few other walkers), and substantially busier afterwards. I would not however say that there were "throngs". I like keeping it on the quiet side, and I never had any issues. But I believe that the Portuguese routes are getting more and more popular, and I seem to recall people in 2017 saying it was pretty busy. I do not use albergues, so I don't know how crowded they may have been, and sorry - I cannot help with your 100 kms question. Good luck - you will enjoy it - busy or not!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Also, I’ve heard that for those last 100km, things can get quite crowded. It never felt that way between Porto and Vigo. Are we talking I-can’t-get-any-quiet throngs, or is it more peaceful than that? I'd probably be going in May.

Hi, I walked from Viana do Castelo on the Coastal Route at the end of May, beginning of June last year, and saw very few pilgrims up to Redondela.

When we joined the Central Route at Redondela, after Vigo, it then got very busy. Worse, it was a Sunday, and we got caught up with a huge group (hundreds) of people on a charity walk to Pontevedra.

We then veered off onto the Variante Espiritual and it got quieter again. (We didn’t see any wild boars :p.) There were 16 people at the 32-bed albergue in Armenteira. The boat was full from Vila Nova de Arousa to Padrón, so if you take that route, buy your boat ticket as soon as you get to the albergue in VN de Arousa.
Jill

I saw signs of wild boar on the trails in France while walking the Via Francigena but was told by locals that they are very shy and rarely seen. They are active at night or very early morning so unlikely to be encountered. It was hunting season at the time & I was far more alarmed by numerous hunters dressed head to toe in army-like fatigues & trekking around on the hiking trails. I made sure to wear a very brightly coloured jacket. The coastal route in Oct 2017 was very quiet except for a few days when we encountered a large group of teenaged boys who filled up the albergues in a very noisy fashion. But we skipped ahead & had a gorgeous walk....hope yours is too.

I did the coastal senda in june 17 from porto viana, baiona, vigo and joined the main route at redondela. I booked guest houses and hotels. Walking there were other pilgrims, but the route itself was never crowded, although it definately got busier after pontevedra. On the distance thing vigo is close on the 100k you need, so it depends how much further south you want to go. You can get an Atsa bus from vigo airport or town to Baiona and that's a days walk to Vigo or you could alight a few ks shy of Vigo and get a stamp. The photo shows 115k from Prado /Nigran....which is on the bus route.

Attachments

• IMG-20170615-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20170615-WA0008.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 12
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That is an odd thought from the locals... where I live in south of France there are also many wild boars in the mountains and forests but it doesn't stop the walkers because wild boars don't usually attack humans, in fact they are scared of humans as they are often hunted.. Maybe some people who have done the Spiritual Variante could say if they have met any wild boars ?
Hello, just to say I have just come back from the coastal route and the Esperitual variant and I didn't see any signs of wild boars..:)

Hi @Barbara06! When you did the coastal route, were you ever totally alone? I don't mind the mental part of walking alone (at all), but for safety reasons, I really don't relish the idea of not being in proximity of other pilgrims. (Im a female doing Porto - Santiago, May/June 2018) Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello, just to say I have just come back from the coastal route and the Esperitual variant and I didn't see any signs of wild boars..:)
Just behind the convent in Armenteira is a beautiful golflink. We played there once and at the end of the fairway we saw wild boars and deers . Could easily hit them with a long distance shot but chose for the flag on the green.:cool: Very nice area in the north west of Galicia with nice beaches and interesting places .

Hi @Barbara06! When you did the coastal route, were you ever totally alone? I don't mind the mental part of walking alone (at all), but for safety reasons, I really don't relish the idea of not being in proximity of other pilgrims. (Im a female doing Porto - Santiago, May/June 2018) Thank you!

Hello Anna, I was all the time totally alone on the coastal route but no problems with safety. I don't think the portuguese are really interested in attacking pilgrims.
But no need to worry, I walked in February and not May/June.
It's really a wonderfull walk, have a nice time !!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back