• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last 100km on Camino Portugese

AnnieMac2411

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese Coastal Camino 2019
Hi everyone

We have finally booked the flights for our first Camino and are in the process of booking accommodation etc as we are walking at the beginning of August and want to take the hassle out of it by using one of the many companies available online. We are flying into Vigo and as we only have 5 days available to walk it made sense (to us anyway!!😏)to start from there and onwards to SDC....I understood that route equated to 100km which would allow us to achieve a Compostela ..... I have been informed by one of the companies that it is only 87km and we need to start in Baiona.....🤔😢
I have tried looking for information to verify this but to no avail so I turn to you - oh learned ones - and hope ye will put an end to my misery 😊
TIA 💜

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Annie. You indeed have to walk at least 100km is you want to receive a Compostela (religious certificate). If you want the Distance Certificate, you can walk from anywhere.

A common starting place for the last 100km is Valenca, on the border with Portugal. There are direct trains/buses from Vigo and the trip is less than 2 hours. From there, it is approximately 110km to Santiago and the cities along the way are very lovely :)

You can go to Baiona, which is exactly 100km from santiago, but access is a bit trickier - no direct buses, so you will need a taxi.

I walked the Portuguese route in 2017 and loved it. You will have a great time!

😄 Do not fear AnnieMac...for we are here...to help you!
Yes, starting in Vigo will see you fall short of the magic 100km...not by much but still enough to not qualify.
Vigo is off the 'official' route but the 100km marker on the main route is a few kms south of O Porrino. If you check it out on a map, you should be able to figure an ideal starting point for you, even if you have to 'bus it' to get there.
I'm assuming (from the Vigo direction) you intend joining the main route at Redondela? If so, according to the Brierley guidebook (I walked the CP 2015 so don't have a current edition), Redondela is 83km from Santiago...you could calculate based on that figure.
Might pay to contact CStJ or the like to ascertain a recognised start point for your route...one that will be accepted when you front up for your Compostela in SdC.
Good luck...but don't tear your hair out, you'll get it sorted & its a lovely walk!
Bom Caminho 👣🌏
Vigo is on the official route, o caminho Português pela Costa or in English, the Portuguese coastal route. Yellow waymarkers are to be found in the town of Vigo.
Indeed to achieve a Compostela certificate you have to walk at least one hundred kms and you have to obtain 2 stamps (sellos in Spanish) per day on your credential.
So start after landing in Vigo in Baiona and you will cover about 108 kms
If you should walk the"official" route-there is no official route btw-but maybe here is meant the "central route " do not go back to O Porriño but to Tui to be sure to cover the 100 kms .
In my opinion after arriving go to Vigo and take the bus to Baiona and start and obtain your first stamp there. Baiona is a beautiful town and worthwhile to start your camino

Buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is an 100km mojón on the outskirts of Vigo but it's in the middle of woodland. You can get a bus out of Vigo and start at Ramallosa or before at Nigrán. Pick up the yellow arrows at the Roman bridge in Ramallosa or nearer next to Pazo de Cee. Although at over 37km to Redondela from Ramallosa it's a long stage. From Baiona it's 130 km so you need an extra day if you start there.

There is an 100km mojón on the outskirts of Vigo but it's in the middle of woodland. You can get a bus out of Vigo and start at Ramallosa or before at Nigrán. Pick up the yellow arrows at the Roman bridge in Ramallosa or nearer next to Pazo de Cee. Although at over 37km to Redondela from Ramallosa it's a long stage. From Baiona it's 130 km so you need an extra day if you start there.
Hi Mark
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us this information and we like the idea of staying in Vigo (as originally planned) and taking the bus to Ramallosa. Do you by any chance have a link or any further information on the bus service/how regular it runs from Vigo
Much appreciated
Annemarie

I will be doing the Portugues Coastal in November 2021 from Baiona. I hope I am correct in my understanding that Baiona meets the 100 Km requirement. I did the Portugues Central in 2010 from Valença, but I want to avoid the area around Porriño, which I found to be too commercial/industrial.
Am I correct in my understanding about starting in Baiona?
Also, is there a GPS App for this route?
Thanks for your assistance.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi:
According to the Pilgrim’s Credential, in order to obtain the “Compostela”; is the walk includes the “Variante Espiritual”, the pilgrimage must at least begin in Porriño or Vigo. Please, see attached photo from credential.

Hope this helps.

Iván

Attachments

• 848D544A-E663-4552-809E-F400E4F96E2A.jpeg
    848D544A-E663-4552-809E-F400E4F96E2A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Thank you. I think the Variante Espiritual is the one that goes to Armenteira and Vilanova de Arosa. It adds enough on to the kilometers to justify a starting point in Porriño or Vigo. We’d like to start from Baiona, but probably will not do the Variante Spiritual, although if we were going in warmer months, I’d like to do it. Thanks again.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back