Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Last day before Burgos

Ian Campbell

Past OR future Camino
Past: LePuy 2016
Future: Frances 2022
Did you know...a lesser known path skirts the southern flank of the Sierra de Atapuerca to take you into Burgos? This avoids the eastern industrial outskirts of that city and also opens up certain accomodation and food options.
If you were so inclined you could walk to San Juan de Ortega, turning left there, and then a couple of kilometres to Santovenia de Oca. Nice little albergue with a good restaurant. I think they have 24 beds and there were only 10 of us. The next day carry on to Burgos near, but not on, the N-120 highway. After an hour there are bars and cafés. The lady at the albergue said it was an old camino path. There are scallop signs and yellow arrows, but the route doesn't seem to be well known. It's not on Gronze. It's mostly gravel and dirt but there are some sidewalks and tarmac closer to Burgos. It is perhaps two kilometers longer than the conventional route.
FYI for Santovenia de Oca, either bring food or plan to eat in the albergue restaurant. There's literally nothing else in town.

John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Ian Campbell,
Your description of the "lesser known path" is great. I did something similar in February 2008 which also paralleled N 120 along an old marked path. After hiking for hours I finally arrived at the old municipal albergue in the Parque El Parral near the Monasterio de La Huelgas and Burgos University on the far western edge of the city.

Last edited:

irrie

Past OR future Camino
2022 camino frances
I did this path yesterday. You will see the camino signs on te way. Only on one place the plate fell off (facing the highway). There you have to take to the right. For the last part take the river route.

Pilgrim9

Past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdC (2017)
SdC-Muxia-Fisterra-SdC (2017)
Lisboa-SdC (2018)
Ferrol-SdC (2018)
Ian Campbell wrote: ".. you could walk to San Juan de Ortega, turning left there, and then a couple of kilometres to Santovenia de Oca. Nice little albergue with a good restaurant. I think they have 24 beds and there were only 10 of us. The next day carry on to Burgos near, but not on, the N-120 highway. ... FYI for Santovenia de Oca, either bring food or plan to eat in the albergue restaurant. There's literally nothing else in town."

Thank you, Ian Campbell. This is exactly the information I was searching for today.

Best lightweight guides
Best lightweight guides for before and after your Camino, just 1.4 oz (40 grams)!
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Pilgrim9

Past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdC (2017)
SdC-Muxia-Fisterra-SdC (2017)
Lisboa-SdC (2018)
Ferrol-SdC (2018)
Might anyone be able to guide me to the start of the Burgos-approach River Walk please?

I can probably figure out a route but if someone knows of a particularly pleasant route then some pointers would be much appreciated.

I plan to enter the Burgos area from Santovenia de Oca as per Ian Campbell's comment above.

trecile

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
PAST - Francés, Norte, Salvador, Portuguese

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated