• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Last Day Walking Blues

JackyG

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Way September 2017.
French Way May 2018.
Planning some sort of camino for Sep 2019..
Last day today, walking from Salcede into SDC. Just wanted to vent or get others thoughts on this, as rather than feeling elated at this sort of walking in, I actually feel quite low. I had to leave behind a lot of people I met on my walk from St Jean as I only had four weeks, so had to miss most of the Meseta and also skip two stages about five days ago. Since then, for the last 3 days actually, I’ve been walking alone, which I don’t mind at all, but I’ve also spent the evenings alone..And the thoughts of walking in now today on my own, and spending the night alone again and Santiago of all places it’s not a good one. I miss so many people I met on my walk I wish I was back with them. The whole thing has been so amazing and rewarding and I really don’t want to end on a bummer - Any tips on what to do when I get into Santiago? Apart from cheer feckin up? 😂 TIA, Sally No Mates 🤗🥾

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
JackyG,

Congratulations on your arrival!

Like yourself many other pilgrims wish to share their thoughts and memories with others in Santiago.

For a place to meet and talk about your camino or simply relax visit Pilgrim House, rua Nova, 19, a few blocks "behind" the Cathedral. This is managed by @natefaith a member of and a moderator for this forum.

Enjoy your days in Santiago and memories of your camino as you journey home.

Last edited:
Last day today, walking from Salcede into SDC. Just wanted to vent or get others thoughts on this, as rather than feeling elated at this sort of walking in, I actually feel quite low. I had to leave behind a lot of people I met on my walk from St Jean as I only had four weeks, so had to miss most of the Meseta and also skip two stages about five days ago. Since then, for the last 3 days actually, I’ve been walking alone, which I don’t mind at all, but I’ve also spent the evenings alone..And the thoughts of walking in now today on my own, and spending the night alone again and Santiago of all places it’s not a good one. I miss so many people I met on my walk I wish I was back with them. The whole thing has been so amazing and rewarding and I really don’t want to end on a bummer - Any tips on what to do when I get into Santiago? Apart from cheer feckin up? 😂 TIA, Sally No Mates 🤗🥾
Strongly agree with @mspath ’s recommendation of The Pilgrim House as a place to unload and decompress.

Regrettably it gets worse. When I wake up in Santiago - fine place though it is - the realisation that I’m not loading up and setting off walking again always affects me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino Blues....
When I Finished my first long Camino I wrote what I left you here today.
Hope you find it means something for you all, my Camino brothers.
Excuse my english and accept my feelings

"Yesterday I finished El Camino de Santiago.

Today is a day of rest and return.

Today I can get up at any time I want and enjoy Santiago to my liking.

But customs are customs and I wake up at seven.

Of course, today I have a long breakfast and after preparing my backpack for the plane for the last time, I go to Santiago to do some sightseeing.

When stepping on the streets, pilgrims are already arriving at the Plaza del Obradoiro. I look at them with the until now habitual face of camaraderie and complicity, I even greet them with the usual until yesterday "Buen Camino!... but it's not the same anymore.

Today I am no longer an active pilgrim (I stress the word "active", because once a pilgrim you are a pilgrim all your life). Now I am no more than an ordinary tourist; although worse dressed than average.

For the first time since yesterday I am aware that my pilgrimage is over. And it hurts me.

It has been just over three intense and wonderful weeks. Absolutely different from what I am used to, demanding, hard and at the same time revitalizing and full.

I have shared sweat, steps and efforts with people from places as different as Korea, France, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Alaska or South Africa. Even some occasional Spanish!

I have learned that if your task for the day is to walk 20 or 30 kilometers, then you walk them and that's all.

I have discovered how good a bit of York ham and some walnuts taste in the shade of a tree when you are tired.

I've learned to endure and even enjoy the rain on your face and the mud that won't let you lift your feet.

I have seen my shadow, companion on the way, always walking ahead of me, from East to West, marking the route.

I have experienced that the best thing against foot pain is to keep walking. They don't hurt less, but you even get used to the pain.

I have suffered the agony of the steep slopes, knowing that sooner or later I will reach the top and then everything will be easier. After the toughest climb always comes something better.

I have known the joy of seeing the end of a long stage already a stone's throw away and knowing that the rest you deserve is near.

I have learned that if you know how to search, there is always a yellow arrow that shows you the right path.

I have felt anger and even fear walking on the verge of roads packed with vehicles and pure delight walking lonely lanes through lush forests.

I have been relieved to see the tip of a church tower appear among the wheat fields, indicating that the destination is near.

I have changed the face to pure happiness to find the person I love the most (my wife) in the most unexpected moment and the most unexpected place.

I have felt what it is to be alone and enjoy solitude and I have felt what it is to be alone and to be homesick and missing my family.

I have seen that as important as reaching the goal is to enjoy the way to it. The goal is nothing without the path that leads you to it and the path is meaningless if you are not clear about the goal.

And I have discovered that you should not try to find out what your reason is for following the path, because there is never a single reason for following it.

Pilgrims don't need to talk about their reasons for making the way. They just follow it, because they know deep inside that they have to. ¿Why?...sometimes even yourself does not know why. But if the Camino calls you, you will will eventualy discover the reason while walking.

The road has been there for many centuries, and if it calls you, the best thing to do is to go and start by putting one foot forward, and then the other, and then the other again and again...

You will surely discover that the path has something to offer you.

The path is always there. Only you are missing.

Last edited:
I have arrived in Santiago 5 times now.
And apart from once, never with anyone that I made friends with along the way.
I was slower, they were faster, we split onto different routes, and a multitude of other reasons.

No matter if you arrive alone, or with friends, Santiago can be a sad and lonely place for some Pilgrims.
It marks the end of our journey. Much has been written about the Camino Blues.

So we reflect on the journey completed, and those we plan to complete in the future.
Enjoy the memories of your journey. For it's all about the journey, not the destination. :)

Oh and treat your self to a nice meal and a few drinks. I find that helps. ;)

Of course make sure to attend the Pilgrim Mass!
It's a nice way to feel 'completion'.

Last edited:
I have also experienced arriving alone in Santiago several times, and it feels very anticlimactic - especially when there are groups all around you high-fiving each other on their accomplishment. And more so when you realize that this journey that you have been dreaming of and planning for is now...over.

Although you have not seen anyone that you've met along the way in the last few days you may be surprised to see a familiar face from several weeks ago.

One year I had to end my Camino del Norte after walking 700 km because of shin splints. When I arrived by bus to Santiago I did not feel like a pilgrim at all, and those who I had met along the way wouldn't be there for several days. I ended up planting myself at one of the bars on Praza de Cervantes where the pilgrims walk by shortly before reaching the Cathedral. I ended up making friends with a couple of peregrinas who joined me at my table and we enjoyed a couple of days together in Fisterra.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m sorry you have the blues. Your sadness is not unique. I, too, found my arrival in SDC a little anti-climactic and I walked in with 2 ladies I met the day before. However, I do include in my hashtags when posting “It’s about the journey, not the destination” #itsaboutthejourneynotthedestination

Once you’ve reached my destination, what now? Suck it up, Buttercup! Turn that smile upside down and pat yourself on the back on a job well done. This was your camino. You did it! And start planning your next pilgrim walk while at the airport waiting to go home.

One of the things I’ve observed during my Camino is how deeper the emotions are felt whether joy or sadness, loneliness or camaraderie with other pilgrims. Try to embrace all of the experience. It will show you just how resilient and stronger you’ve become. I did not get to go to pilgrim house as it was closed however the pilgrim office has support groups there as well. This transition period and the feelings that go along with it, once the walk is finished, is just as much a part of our Camino as the rest. Sending a big 🤗

I can relate, at least partially.
I too felt a bit alone when arriving in Santiago. Actually it happens to me in most of the large cities on the way. I usually walk larger distances than most so I leave most of those I met behind. Not much of a problem in the smaller towns and villages as you always meet new pilgrims. But in the big cities all becomes more anonymous, more diluted and you are surrounded by less pilgrim spirit.
Funny enough, I feel this especially in Santiago. Many tourists around and many of the former pilgrims once they got their compostela and checked into their accommodation quickly get rid of their walking clothes, open their sent suitcases and seem to get into tourist mode too ;-)
I usually compensate by eating and drinking, by walking around studying people, and I often just return to the cathedral, sit down outside and examine newly arrived pilgrims who are still sweaty and limping 🤣
Oh, and I fantazise about my future Caminos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Those final few days are very emotional ones. I have arrived more times than I can count and only claimed 4 Compostelas for all my many years of efforts. It can be joy and it can be pain. I can vividly remember the first time I arrived there in terrible rainstorm after walking in a number of days in drenching wet conditions. I cried tears of joy and pain, went to a late mass, saw only one other pilgrim who I had walked with for the 30 some day and took a night bus back to Biarritz. Stronger for the experience, as I learned years and years later.

I remember my 1st time arriving in Santiago and I too, was all alone as all of my friends were a couple of weeks behind me. Due to medical issues, I bused ahead and missed about 300km. It was lonely, everyone seemed to be with others. Asking a stranger to take my photo just to prove I was there, eating all of my meals alone. Could not wait to leave, but took a bus tour anyway as had 2 days to spend.
The other times were different and this time, actually walked the last day with a woman who I had just met the day before. Who knows, maybe you too will meet someone on your last day. Look and see who is alone at your next cafe stop? In Santiago, you may even see people you thought were behind you. See if anyone is eating alone and see if they want company. Go on a tour of the cathedral, go to the morning masses where it is easier to see people. Go on a bus tour or a walking tour.
Then, just enjoy the fact that you do NOT HAVE TO WALK today! (other than walking around town)
Go shopping, eat some good food. Take a nap.
Then plan your next Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Blues....

Of course, today I have a long breakfast and after preparing my backpack for the plane for the last time, I go to Santiago to do some sightseeing.

When stepping on the streets, pilgrims are already arriving at the Plaza del Obradoiro. I look at them with the until now habitual face of camaraderie and complicity, I even greet them with the usual until yesterday "Good journey!... but it's not the same anymore.

Today I am no longer an active pilgrim (I stress the word "active", because once a pilgrim you are a pilgrim all your life). Now I am no more than an ordinary tourist; although worse dressed than average.

For the first time since yesterday I am aware that my pilgrimage is over. And it hurts me.

It has been just over three intense and wonderful weeks. Absolutely different from what I am used to, demanding, hard and at the same time revitalizing and full.

I have shared sweat, steps and efforts with people from places as different as Korea, France, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Alaska or South Africa. Even some occasional Spanish!

I have learned that if your task for the day is to walk 20 or 30 kilometers, then you walk them and you are finished.

I have discovered how good a bit of York ham and some walnuts taste in the shade of a tree when you are tired.

I've learned to endure and even enjoy the rain on your face and the mud that won't let you lift your feet.

I have seen my shadow, companion on the way, always walking ahead of me, from East to West, marking the route.

I have experienced that the best thing against foot pain is to keep walking. They don't hurt less, but you even get used to the pain.

I have suffered the agony of the steep slopes, knowing that sooner or later I will reach the top and then everything will be easier. After the toughest climb always comes something better.

I have known the joy of seeing the end of a long stage already a stone's throw away and knowing that the rest you deserve is near.

I have learned that if you know how to search, there is always a yellow arrow that shows you the right path.

I have felt anger and even fear walking on the verge of roads packed with vehicles and pure delight walking lonely lanes through lush forests.

I have been relieved to see the tip of a church tower appear among the wheat fields, indicating that the destination is near.

I have changed the face to pure happiness to find myself in the most unexpected moment and the most unexpected place to the person I love the most.

I have felt what it is to be alone and enjoy solitude and I have felt what it is to be alone and to be homesick and missing my family.

I have seen that as important as reaching the goal is to enjoy the way to it. The goal is nothing without the path that leads you to it and the path is meaningless if you are not clear about the goal.

And I have discovered that you should not try to find out what your reason is for following the path, because there is never a single reason for following it.

Pilgrims never talk about their reasons for making the way. They just follow it, because they know deep inside that they have to.

The road has been there for many centuries, and if it calls you, the best thing to do is to go and start by putting one foot forward, and then the other, and then the other again and again...

That’s so lovely, thanks so much for posting that.. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks so much all, I actually did meet a couple of people walking today and I’m going to meet them for drinks, and will hit the pilgrim house tomorrow.. I had forgotten about that and remember it from last time, it’s a lovely, lovely place. I’m also currently trying to decide whether to book and stay for another week and walk to Finisterre.. and am dreadful at making decisions 😄 The bug has hit me hard! 🥾❤️☀️

Thanks so much all, I actually did meet a couple of people walking today and I’m going to meet them for drinks, and will hit the pilgrim house tomorrow..
The Pilgrim House in Santiago is closed on Wednesdays.... Open all other days. At least, that's what their website says, and as I remember it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks so much all, I actually did meet a couple of people walking today and I’m going to meet them for drinks, and will hit the pilgrim house tomorrow.. I had forgotten about that and remember it from last time, it’s a lovely, lovely place. I’m also currently trying to decide whether to book and stay for another week and walk to Finisterre.. and am dreadful at making decisions 😄 The bug has hit me hard! 🥾❤️☀️
I added Fisterra and Muxia to my last Camino. only finished a week or so back. I loved it….

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Blues....

When stepping on the streets, pilgrims are already arriving at the Plaza del Obradoiro. I look at them with the until now habitual face of camaraderie and complicity, I even greet them with the usual until yesterday "Good journey!... but it's not the same anymore.

I have learned that if your task for the day is to walk 20 or 30 kilometers, then you walk them and you are finished.

I have changed the face to pure happiness to find myself in the most unexpected moment and the most unexpected place to the person I love the most.

Pilgrims never talk about their reasons for making the way. They just follow it, because they know deep inside that they have to.

So well expressed, Andonios. You put into words so much of what has whirled & floated inside me. I've walked from SJPP to Santiago twice, once continuing to Muxia, Finisterra & back. I've also been to Santiago as a tourist ( which was so hard when you're a pilgrim at heart).
Thank you for sharing.

Before I went, friends warned me that I could expect the last day to be anticlimactic. Great advice. Because it really did feel like it was more about journey than the destination and that the magic had already happened. Over the next few days it was fun to see people I knew arriving. But rather than a wild celebration on arrival, I found it more of a quiet, reflective, personal celebration, tinged with the sadness of it ending. I think most of us don’t quite know what to do with ourselves when we stop walking! Go out, look around you, and know many others likely feel the same way. You may not have walked a step with someone, but you can still raise a glass and toast each other with a “Congratulations—we did it!” Then get busy planning your next one. 😉

I just want to offer a counter-suggestion to those advising that you start planning your next Camino. I’d say to do some deep reflection and journaling (or whatever it is that you do to help yourself reflect) and what you’ve received from this time and how you want to implement whatever lessons the Camino has provided in your life. It takes time for it all to sink in. If you start focusing on planning for the next Camino, you risk short-changing yourself on the effects of this one.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I started planning my next Camino very shortly after my first one. I chose to do something shorter, due to time constraints and picked the CP. I had a wonderful journey and met some great people. The the following year went back to do the CF and had to deal with a lousy bunch of pilgrims for my "family." It took me forever to disengage from the lot. A few rest days didn't even do the trick as they decided to tag along with me for those days. Went back the next year and opted for privacy and did the CA for a break and then started experimenting with multiple Caminos because of my proximity to easy transport while I was living in Biarritz for the following few years.

Last edited:
I had the fortune to walk into Santiago with my new friends. I enjoyed the evening with them but I, too „ found it more of a quiet, reflective, personal celebration, tinged with the sadness of it ending“.
The next day I went to the square, sat in the shade and watched everyone arrive. Many in group’s, some alone. It was a time of quiet reflection. Eventually a solo pilgrim from South America sat near me, and we struck up a conversation. It helped.

Andonius expresses my feelings beautifully .
I didn’t rush into planning my next Camino, but like all of us here, the bug has bitten.
I leave in five weeks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Only one cure really! You haven't finished Camino, you are just getting ready to repeat it! :) :)

Samarkand

Just want to say thanks so much to all of you for responding, it really helped.. So I came home, did a few family things that I felt I had to do…Then found I could not stop my finger hovering over the ‘book flights’ button, so I did what any rational pilgrim would and am now going back on Saturday 😄 I’m gonna walk in with some people I left behind a week or so ago, then hang in Santiago for a few days which I didn’t get to do, during those few days have a bit of a party.. then go on to Finisterre and then come home. Can. Not. Wait. 😄❤️🥾 #pilgrimmadness #ahwell

So I came home, did a few family things that I felt I had to do…Then found I could not stop my finger hovering over the ‘book flights’ button, so I did what any rational pilgrim would and am now going back on Saturday
I can't help but be curious as to what country you live in since you started this thread on Tuesday as you were nearing completion in Santiago. You have now posted yesterday that you are returning today. I assume you probably live in Europe or the UK, (but what do I know), as it is less than one week.🤔

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can't help but be curious as to what country you live in since you started this thread on Tuesday as you were nearing completion in Santiago. You have now posted yesterday that you are returning today. I assume you probably live in Europe or the UK, (but what do I know), as it is less than one week.🤔
Yep am in Ireland, very handy for SDC for sure :) lucky me!

€83,-
I think what you are feeling is a natural and actually a part of the Camino experience. The Camino teaches us so many life lessons and the lessons are often personal and come with reflection. Maybe one of the lessons here for you is learning how to say goodbye and being grateful for the time and experience? What a gift to have met so many friends along the way!

We all enter this world alone and we will leave this world alone. It's the time in between that can be magical if we can see the beauty in it.

There are some rooms at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago where there are volunteers that help you decompress from your camino. They have different rooms for different languages. Forget what their name is

GO down to the Cathedral at about 10 pm and directly opposite beneath the portico you may hear the costumed Spanish troubadours ensemble sing and play. Great group and always a great concert and fun. They play there very often. You could well meet some of your walking friends there among the "audience". What a great send-off. They have many performances on Utube also.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola @JackyG, so glad to hear that you have met a some pilgrims to walk your last day and then meet up for a few vino tintos. That decision to stay an extra week and walk to Finisterre is the best news!! This is where pilgrims, by tradition, ended their pilgrimages. Bringing back that shell was the proof that they had completed their pilgrimage,. (Remember they would often be away for two or three years). A very happy Buen Camino..

GO down to the Cathedral at about 10 pm and directly opposite beneath the portico you may hear the costumed Spanish troubadours ensemble sing and play. Great group and always a great concert and fun. They play there very often. You could well meet some of your walking friends there among the "audience". What a great send-off. They have many performances on Utube also.
I did actually see them they’re wonderful! 🤗

JackyG, I was waiting for your update.
You've inspired some great comments/ feedback!
So, presume you made it back, met with your friends etc ( as above) - how did it all go? Have you laid the Blues to rest - or just confirmed to yourself ( and us) that you're ( yet another) Camino junkie???

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for this thread.

I arrived in Santiago at noon today after a 12 day Camino Portugues. I sat in front of the cathedral crying for 45 minutes, then went to the pilgrims office to get a stamp. I also sat in the chapel at the pilgrim's office for a while...they have a video playing with poetry and music for the end of the journey. I feel sad that it's over. I was afraid I'd fractured my foot last week, so although I made the right decision in taking a few bus trips, I'm also sad that I don't qualify for the Compostela.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the disappointment of the ending of my Camino. Also it's raining and I'm alone in a one star hotel in Santiago. Boo hoo! 🙃

Jenn, you have my sympathy. Lousy way to end your Camino.
Please remember- you may be physically alone, but you are NOT alone in spirit. You are one of us, a pilgrim, in body and soul.

It’s rough that you can’t get your compostela. But really, it’s just a piece of paper. (Yes, I know, that’s easy for me to say)
Others have written elsewhere that a Camino is about the journey, not the destination . I couldn’t agree with them more!
In years gone by, pilgrim’s occasionally died on the trail. Did that make them any less a pilgrim? I think not. Fortunately, you ‘just’ injured your foot.
I hear September is a great time of year to walk. Or, since you are from further afield, perhaps next year?
Buen Camino!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.