• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

last (ish) minute decision to do a first camino- a few questions!

bonafem

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances November (2014)
Hi all,

I've been thinking about doing the camino for a while now. I'm really interested in walking but not very confident on mountains or anything like that. I also like the idea of doing a pilgrimage, so the camino seems like an awesome first long walk to do! I have been hemming and hawing about if and when to go, but now due to the end of a long term relationship and a seat sale on the euro star I'm thinking of starting at the end of April/beginning of May. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help me out with!

1. I plan to do the walk in trail runners, but someone told me May could be very wet. In your experience is this true? Will waterproof socks do the trick? Or should I invest in a pair of waterproof boots?

2. Is it easy to get to the start from Paris? Or should I fly to Biaritz instead?

3. Any other weather considerations? I know anything can happen on the mountain but is it likely to snow or storm this time of year?

4. I'm in decent shape- do a lot of yoga and city walking and an occasional day hike or long swim, but I've not really been training at all in terms of walking or running or strength. I recently travelled for a few days and lugged my pack around the city. It was a few kilos more than I would take on Camino but I had so much pain in my shoulders which gave me a terrible headache. Do I need to be in better shape? Will the first week be a bitch anyways? Or is my pack the problem?

5. Any tips for getting a month off work?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It can be wet and muddy in April/May especially after the recent weather. I had lots of it starting early May 2013, but none the same time last year!
OK, so you are in the UK I guess. London? Seriously look at Ryanair out of Stanstead to Biarritz. May well be quicker and cheaper. Bus Biarritz airport to Bayonne would put you in the same place as the Paris train. Then train/bus (line problems at present) to SJPdP. Alternatively look to taxi share to SJPdP from airport (look at www.expressbourricot.com) which may work out as cheap as 18 euros.
Weather can be unpredictable at this time so yes it could snow.
Lose some of that weight! Plenty of advice around the forum. You could always look at luggage transport (easily available throughout the Frances), especially to start until you find your feet.
Resign?

Let's see,
Answer to question 5: quit your job!
Answer to question 4: it's a bitch if you aren't in shape, until you get in shape a few weeks into you Camino
Answer to question 3: it snows as late as May and it rains all of the time, that's the Pyrenees
Answer to question 2: you can take a train from Paris to Bayonne or fly there and in either case you will be taking a train/bus to SJPdP
Answer to question 1: never heard of waterproof socks, they sound like plastic bags, waterproof boots are optional and you will find a multitude of opinions about boots/shoes/sandals, etc. if you explore this forum for footwear.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
#1: The only consolation would be that runners dry quicker ;), don't know how w/p socks would work.
#2: If mountain-walking is not really your thing, start in Pamplona (or Roncesvalles)
#3: #2 will solve the walking-over-the-Pyrenees-in-the-rain problem
#4: #2 and #3 will give you an easier start
#5: do you think that someone will notice?

I can't speak to weather that time of year, but two comments:

1) I think you pack is either adjusted wrong or does not fit you (probably too small). Shoulder pain means that you are carrying weight on your shoulders. You should not be. All weight should be transferred to your hips. The shoulder straps should only keep the pack from falling over backwards, so they pull against the front of your shoulders. It sounds like, however, that your shoulder straps are bearing down on the tops of your shoulders.

2) Do not let your fears about the mountains overwhelm you. Yes, in snow and really bad weather can be dangerous. But assuming the pilgrim office in SJPD does not tell you to go by the low route, the mountains are really fairly minimal (and the mountainous stretches are fairly short), especially by comparison to the mountains we backpack in the U.S. Remember, Napoleon put his army through this route several times. If an army with horse-drawn wagons can travel a route, you probably can too. The Camino is routed for the easiest path, not the most rugged or the most scenic. Just listen to the hospitaleros--they know when it is dangerous.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I recently travelled for a few days and lugged my pack around the city. It was a few kilos more than I would take on Camino but I had so much pain in my shoulders which gave me a terrible headache. Do I need to be in better shape? Will the first week be a bitch anyways? Or is my pack the problem?
Carry the weight of your pack on your hips not your shoulders, that should help.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all,

I've been thinking about doing the camino for a while now. I'm really interested in walking but not very confident on mountains or anything like that. I also like the idea of doing a pilgrimage, so the camino seems like an awesome first long walk to do! I have been hemming and hawing about if and when to go, but now due to the end of a long term relationship and a seat sale on the euro star I'm thinking of starting at the end of April/beginning of May. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help me out with!

1. I plan to do the walk in trail runners, but someone told me May could be very wet. In your experience is this true? Will waterproof socks do the trick? Or should I invest in a pair of waterproof boots?

2. Is it easy to get to the start from Paris? Or should I fly to Biaritz instead?

3. Any other weather considerations? I know anything can happen on the mountain but is it likely to snow or storm this time of year?

4. I'm in decent shape- do a lot of yoga and city walking and an occasional day hike or long swim, but I've not really been training at all in terms of walking or running or strength. I recently travelled for a few days and lugged my pack around the city. It was a few kilos more than I would take on Camino but I had so much pain in my shoulders which gave me a terrible headache. Do I need to be in better shape? Will the first week be a bitch anyways? Or is my pack the problem?

1. yep, could be, even in the meseta. i wear low ankle hiking boots (waterproof) - works for me
2. yep, train, train, train.
3. hardly many mountains on the Camino Francés, and if you skip teh French side, even less. 90% of the Camino (if not more) is falt and hilly, way under 1000 metres. snow could happen, but only in the pyrenees, and that's one or two days out of... 30?, 40? it is very unlikely you'll get snow in galicia and the 'mountain' there is all of 1300 metres.
4. it will be a bitch, no pain no gain :)
5. work in europe

Sealskinz make a waterproof sock (and gloves) which I have worn cycling on Camino. I found it was better to keep my cycling shoes dry and put on the socks with crocs - I may of looked stupid but I was warm and dry!
They are quite thick so I would try them out with your runners first - to ensure they are comfy. Also - If you have weak ankles (I do!) wear boots anyway for the support. I would rather wear boots and carry some crocs (so so light) to wear in the evenings, and for crossing any rivers etc.
Also - plastic bags can be useful! Boots are generally waterproof to a limit and for only a certain time - so to have dry feet you can wear plastic bags on top of your socks - obviously the sweat will stay in so it is a balancing act!
Above all be comfortable...

1. I've walked in April and May in trail runners. IF my shoes got wet my shoes were dry by morning. People I saw with boots had wet and cold shoes in the morning. It's not a problem. I would not wear waterproof anything on my feet.

2. Where are you flying FROM?

3. The weather ranged from HOT to chilly. Only was cold and snowed going to Roncesvalles. Not that much rain. Dress in layers.

4. Train by taking long walks. Distance is more important than climbs, in my opinion. Then walk very slow on the Camino the first 3-4 days. Many people do not train.

5. Quit and get a new job when you get home. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the responses everyone! A few updates:

I booked in the big seat sale from London to Paris so I guess I am finding my way from Paris

My ankles are pretty strong and my shoes are mesh which means will dry quickly so I'm leaning towards just taking the trainers but not 100% sure yet. A sprained or broken ankle would obviously ruin the trip. I've also been in barefoot shoes for about 3 years but recently they have been giving me some pain especially when I walk on paved roads for too long so I am a little concerned about whats up with that.

I'm thinking of taking my pack back to the shop and getting them to fit it properly to me. I tried to carry the weight more on my hips but couldn't get it to fit right.

My job is already remote so don't really want to quit it!! Wondering if I can do most of the work beforehand and then check in every few days. I know there are a few posts about internet being inconsistent. Do you think it is unrealistic to expect to get a decent connection every 3 days or so?

Thanks again so much for your help!!

The work thing for Americans can be real limiting factor. This nation does enjoy its capitalism and making workers understand that there are dozens of people waiting for your job and they will work for less. Last two Camino's I informed them I would be gone for 33 days and they needed to do what they had to do. I hoped they would fire my old butt...they didn't.

We walked in snow for three days in May 2013, we were not prepared.

Last year we had rain and some mud while on the meseta, glad I had boots and not shoes.

Ends of relationships is a good reason to do your first Camino...if the hills get to you than cuss the ex all the way up the hill....motivation.
;). ;) ;). ;)

The work thing for Americans can be real limiting factor. This nation does enjoy its capitalism and making workers understand that there are dozens of people waiting for your job and they will work for less. Last two Camino's I informed them I would be gone for 33 days and they needed to do what they had to do. I hoped they would fire my old butt...they didn't.

We walked in snow for three days in May 2013, we were not prepared.

Last year we had rain and some mud while on the meseta, glad I had boots and not shoes.

Ends of relationships is a good reason to do your first Camino...if the hills get to you than cuss the ex all the way up the hill....motivation.
;). ;) ;). ;)
Yes, yes, yes and yes! But I'd cuss the ex on the trot down the hill but then that's me being me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
waterproof socks is asking for blisters. They let no water in, but no air out as well. Good lightweight, non gore-tex, mesh trailrunners will be enough. They dry quickly when they get wet.

If you are employed in the UK you must be entitled to at least the statutory 20 days. That plus 10 week-end days and the two May bank holidays gives you a challenging but achievable hike from Pamplona or even StJdP. If your work-role constrains against such a protracted absence then you need to have a proper discussion with your employer. You could always try telling them that you are undertaking a pilgrimage for religious reasons and watch them reach for the HR handbook... ;)

You have said you work remotely. There are plentiful threads on internet access across this forum. While it is likely that you will find good access at reasonable speeds quite frequently the issue that remains is that you may not find it at a time and location that meets your / your employers needs.

Aside from that: I travelled Eurostar to Paris, took the overnight train from Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne, the substitute bus to StJdP and walked to Valcarlos in time for tea. A very pleasant journey.

Good luck with the time off and Buen Camino

Trainers will be very slick in the rain - make sure you have a good, thick, rugged sole. Personally I felt sorry for people who did not have proper boots on when we were in the Pyrenees. My boots got wet, sure, but after leaving them stuffed with newspaper all night they were always dry in the morning.
As for the pack, you need a lot less than you think you need. One change of clothes, 3 pairs of socks, sleeping bag and toiletries. Keep it as simple as possible and you'll have a much easier walk. Use walking sticks. They take the weight off your knees and ankles. If that doesn't work - JACOTRANS!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ha! Yes I'll definitely be doing the cussing on the way down the hill ;).

One more questions, do you think all the albeurges will be open by this time? Or is it still a bit in the off season?

I am self employed so it's not so much about getting time off but not losing a new client/ my income. But reading the threads on internet I think I will be able to get away with doing the bulk of the work before leaving and then checking in every few days to make sure it is all running smoothly.

Ha! Yes I'll definitely be doing the cussing on the way down the hill ;).

One more questions, do you think all the albeurges will be open by this time? Or is it still a bit in the off season?

You mentioned in an earlier post that you will be walking in autumn. Many albergues start to close mid October. However there is always someplace open. Autumn is a fine time to walk with often golden days and chilly nights.

Happy planning and Buen camino.

MM

Whoops! Now I realize that you wrote re autumn in 2014. This year your trip is set for April. Most albergues will be open around Easter. Thus you will have lots of accommodation possibilities.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back