• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute Camino would be grateful for help ie: lists of stages and albergues.

Freewalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Many and lots more to come.
Hello Fellow Peregrinos
Sorry as in a stressful situation yet a last minute challenge ! Just now beginning to research ! I am unexpectedly going to Spain and would appreciate any links or advice. To be brief, I was bitten by an infected tick on Via Francigena in June and contracted Lyme disease although I cover from head to toe against the sun. The @#$^ard crawled under my shirt and tested positive. I was blasted with a 3 week course of antibiotics after arriving home. I booked the forthcoming overseas flight to Barcelona last January a super deal but a highly restrictive ticket, hence no changes whatsoever.
I have 30 days total to walk at about 20kms a day. Don't want to push too hard. I'd like to walk from Port de la Selva up the Catalan to San Juan de la Pena and if enough time along the Aragones.
I would be so grateful for any info and links of stages and albergues. I am in a bit of a panic as have indeed decided to walk this camino. I now feel quite strong and think I can do it albeit last minute. Any suggestions or help I would welcome. Thank you. Peregrina Mary <3

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow Mary. I could have written your post; booking, infected tick bite, Camino Catalan. I leave for Barcelona in three weeks to do tourist stuff for two weeks with Peg and a friend and then starting October 19th I have a month to get to San Sebastian.

Starting later today I will have a few days where I won't be able to get into details (and may be completely internet deprived) but I'll help as I can.

Gronze.com can get you stage information and accommodation information along each stage but the Catalan isn't as well supplied with that as the Frances so you are more likely to have to stop at their suggested end points. Also for some stages I don't think you even get to find a place to eat so I plan on carrying a meal or two. I've seen advice to call ahead a day or two ahead to be able to get an albergue to open for you. There will likely have to be a few more nights spent at non-albergue lodgings than expected and I don't expect pilgrim meals so this will be a more expensive camino for me.

As for navigation I'm going to download GPS tracks in both gpx and kml formats from wikiloc.com to use with some mapping apps I have.

Please let us know your starting date. I may be able to reorder some of my priorities to help you out with my discoveries.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello Fellow Peregrinos
Sorry as in a stressful situation yet a last minute challenge ! Just now beginning to research ! I am unexpectedly going to Spain and would appreciate any links or advice. To be brief, I was bitten by an infected tick on Via Francigena in June and contracted Lyme disease although I cover from head to toe against the sun. The @#$^ard crawled under my shirt and tested positive. I was blasted with a 3 week course of antibiotics after arriving home. I booked the forthcoming overseas flight to Barcelona last January a super deal but a highly restrictive ticket, hence no changes whatsoever.
I have 30 days total to walk at about 20kms a day. Don't want to push too hard. I'd like to walk from Port de la Selva up the Catalan to San Juan de la Pena and if enough time along the Aragones.
I would be so grateful for any info and links of stages and albergues. I am in a bit of a panic as have indeed decided to walk this camino. I now feel quite strong and think I can do it albeit last minute. Any suggestions or help I would welcome. Thank you. Peregrina Mary <3

Hi, Mary,
It sounds like quite the ordeal, you are a real trooper! So happy to hear that you are well.

I know you prefer albergues, so you should know that there are very few, maybe one or two, between Port de la Selva and Montserrat. At least that was the situation when I walked. From there, on the Cami Catalá, you will find lots. When I walked with LT years ago, I was surprised that we were in albergues almost all the time. There is a list of services from Montserrat (written up by the “amics” group) somewhere on the forum. I will look for it and bump it up if I find it. I don’t know if you have gotten very far in planning, but at some point you will have to decide whether to go through Huesca or Lérida/Lleida. I have only gone through Huesca, but we made that decision based on others’ experiences. Also, that takes you up the “back way” to San Juan de la Peña, and then opens up the Aragonés for you if you have that much time.

There is actually quite a bit of info here on the forum, so get planning! Buen camino, Laurie

P.s. Found the list, which seems to be recent. http://amicsdelspelegrins.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/servicios-cami-SJDLP.pdf

Looks like @peregrina2000 has more promising albergue information for the Camino Catalan than I remembered. But then I'll be walking it later in the season so I expect some closures. I'm not walking the portion from near the French border like you are Mary. Monserrat is at the junction of our two routes and I expect to arrive there on Oct 21. Anyway, the information I gave above was for the Monserrat to the Aragonese Camino via Huesca.

Looks like @peregrina2000 has more promising albergue information for the Camino Catalan than I remembered. But then I'll be walking it later in the season so I expect some closures. I'm not walking the portion from near the French border like you are Mary. Monserrat is at the junction of our two routes and I expect to arrive there on Oct 21. Anyway, the information I gave above was for the Monserrat to the Aragonese Camino via Huesca.
Since my camino buddy has a very strong preference for staying in albergues, we managed to plan our stages so that we stayed in an albergue every night between Montserrat and Puente la Reina! Here are the places — and since most of these are public, I assume they will be open all year.
Jorba (religious)
Cervera (religious)
Linyola (private space offered by peregrino)
Algerri
Tamarite
Berbegal
Pueyo de Fañanás
Huesca
Sarsamarcuello
Botaya (private). Staying in Botaya, the albergue owner took us up to San Juan de la Peña for an afternoon visit. We walked back to the albergue, and then the next day it didn’t matter that we went by when it was closed.

From Botaya we walked to Santa Cilia de Jaca. From there hitched up to Somport and walked to Canfranc Estación — about 24 or so total.

Canfranc Estación (private)
Jaca
Arrés
Ruesta
Sangüesta
Montreal
Puente la Reina.

my accounts:

This camino has a lot of variety, some of it is quite spectacular! And the one thing I really regret is that we did not know about the detour from Sangüesa through Foz de Lumbier. Posts here on the forum have shown how beautiful it is.

Buen camino, happy to help if there’s anything else I could contribute. Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow Mary. I could have written your post; booking, infected tick bite, Camino Catalan. I leave for Barcelona in three weeks to do tourist stuff for two weeks with Peg and a friend and then starting October 19th I have a month to get to San Sebastian.

Starting later today I will have a few days where I won't be able to get into details (and may be completely internet deprived) but I'll help as I can.

Gronze.com can get you stage information and accommodation information along each stage but the Catalan isn't as well supplied with that as the Frances so you are more likely to have to stop at their suggested end points. Also for some stages I don't think you even get to find a place to eat so I plan on carrying a meal or two. I've seen advice to call ahead a day or two ahead to be able to get an albergue to open for you. There will likely have to be a few more nights spent at non-albergue lodgings than expected and I don't expect pilgrim meals so this will be a more expensive camino for me.

As for navigation I'm going to download GPS tracks in both gpx and kml formats from wikiloc.com to use with some mapping apps I have.

Please let us know your starting date. I may be able to reorder some of my priorities to help you out with my discoveries.
Thank you Rick you are too kind <3. Are you saying that you were bitten too ? For anyone reading this - you must start a 14 day course of Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg x 2 a day of antibiotics EARLY ie: within 2 weeks of being bitten maximum - otherwise you are screwed. A blood test is easy. First symptoms are large red rash (but not always) at the bite site and secondly flu symptoms. Lyme disease is alive and well in N.A., Europe and the Far East !
I arrive in Barcelona next week on Sept 21st and have 29 days. I have not walked the Frances but a few others in Spain, Portugal and Italy. I always carry granola as need a substantial breakfast if anything. Yes I've read a little thus far and it seems pricier for accommodation.
I usually do not walk with a GPS although my new phone has one ...not sure how to set that up and usually rely on the arrows. If I go astray and yes on the Levante it was a welcome diversion as met a lovely lady who drove me back on track. Always a cultural adventure. Happy planning Rick and again many thanks ! Mary xx

Last edited:
Since my camino buddy has a very strong preference for staying in albergues, we managed to plan our stages so that we stayed in an albergue every night between Montserrat and Puente la Reina! Here are the places — and since most of these are public, I assume they will be open all year.
Jorba (religious)
Cervera (religious)
Linyola (private space offered by peregrino)
Algerri
Tamarite
Berbegal
Pueyo de Fañanás
Huesca
Sarsamarcuello
Botaya (private). Staying in Botaya, the albergue owner took us up to San Juan de la Peña for an afternoon visit. We walked back to the albergue, and then the next day it didn’t matter that we went by when it was closed.

From Botaya we walked to Santa Cilia de Jaca. From there hitched up to Somport and walked to Canfranc Estación — about 24 or so total.

Canfranc Estación (private)
Jaca
Arrés
Ruesta
Sangüesta
Montreal
Puente la Reina.

my accounts:

This camino has a lot of variety, some of it is quite spectacular! And the one thing I really regret is that we did not know about the detour from Sangüesa through Foz de Lumbier. Posts here on the forum have shown how beautiful it is.

Buen camino, happy to help if there’s anything else I could contribute. Laurie
Thanks Laurie ! I didn't expect you to reply here since mentioning to check the site ! This is very helpful as I am scrambling (including my brain) for info as my departure is imminent :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello! I hope it is ok if i join this thread, Freewalker! I am hoping to next week walk the Camino Catalan from Montserrat, and through the Argonese via Huesca, and then to join up with the Frances in Peunta La Reina. I've been looking through the very helpful posts on the forum regarding albergues and etc. - thanks to all for the info already posted. I was wondering if anyone had any insights as to whether it is more or less 'safe' to walk this route alone, or whether I would be very isolated. Are there other pilgrims on the route this time of year? Also, is it possible to just embark on this camino without pre-booking or arranging with albergues? This will be my second Camino (I have done the Frances before) so I have a little experience - but I do have some nervousness about what to expect on the Catalan. Thanks so much!

Hello! I hope it is ok if i join this thread, Freewalker! I am hoping to next week walk the Camino Catalan from Montserrat, and through the Argonese via Huesca, and then to join up with the Frances in Peunta La Reina. I've been looking through the very helpful posts on the forum regarding albergues and etc. - thanks to all for the info already posted. I was wondering if anyone had any insights as to whether it is more or less 'safe' to walk this route alone, or whether I would be very isolated. Are there other pilgrims on the route this time of year? Also, is it possible to just embark on this camino without pre-booking or arranging with albergues? This will be my second Camino (I have done the Frances before) so I have a little experience - but I do have some nervousness about what to expect on the Catalan. Thanks so much!

Hi, JemimaDawn,
I was just about to answer your other post, but I might as well do it here! First off, welcome to the forum.

When I walked the Catalán, which was in early summer, we never booked ahead. Since you are going late in the season, though, you might want to call a day or so ahead just to be sure about the albergue being open. I doubt you will meet others — I walked with a friend from Montserrat to Puente la Reina, and till we joined with the Camino Francés, I think we met only two or three other peregrinos. Though I walked this part with a friend, I walked the first part from Port de la Selva to Montserrat alone (again, meeting no others) and never felt in any way nervous or anxious. I frequently walk untraveled caminos alone and have never felt unsafe, so I think you will be fine.

Looks like a mini-boom on the Catalán — three forum members about to embark within the next month or so. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, JemimaDawn,
I was just about to answer your other post, but I might as well do it here! First off, welcome to the forum.

When I walked the Catalán, which was in early summer, we never booked ahead. Since you are going late in the season, though, you might want to call a day or so ahead just to be sure about the albergue being open. I doubt you will meet others — I walked with a friend from Montserrat to Puente la Reina, and till we joined with the Camino Francés, I think we met only two or three other peregrinos. Though I walked this part with a friend, I walked the first part from Port de la Selva to Montserrat alone (again, meeting no others) and never felt in any way nervous or anxious. I frequently walk untraveled caminos alone and have never felt unsafe, so I think you will be fine.

Looks like a mini-boom on the Catalán — three forum members about to embark within the next month or so. Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you so much, Laurie! It was reading your blog posts about your Catalan walk in 2015 that really made me inspired. I think that I will go for it! Thanks again, Jemima

Are you saying that you were bitten too ?
Yep. A very small deer tick snuck by an inspection. I removed it the following morning from my inner thigh. Over a week watching the bite I saw nothing. Then a week later I complained of back soreness after moving a pile of rocks but noting to Peg that I was more sore than I should have been. She suggested soaking in the tub (I usually shower). I got a different viewpoint sitting down instead of standing upright and saw an inflamed lump with a the classic ring. I got treatment that afternoon. Three weeks of doxocycline and that required staying out of the sun. I just recently had a test to see if I was infected (to be able to donate blood) and there is no indication of lyme and except for that back soreness for awhile I've suffered no ill effects. Peg wasn't as lucky a few years ago but she is fine now too. Be careful out there folks.

Hello yes no problem at all thanks for chiming in ! I usually walk sola and find it safe and the Spanish are 99% of time extremely helpful and kind <3. I will PM you .... Mary

Yep. A very small deer tick snuck by an inspection. I removed it the following morning from my inner thigh. Over a week watching the bite I saw nothing. Then a week later I complained of back soreness after moving a pile of rocks but noting to Peg that I was more sore than I should have been. She suggested soaking in the tub (I usually shower). I got a different viewpoint sitting down instead of standing upright and saw an inflamed lump with a the classic ring. I got treatment that afternoon. Three weeks of doxocycline and that required staying out of the sun. I just recently had a test to see if I was infected (to be able to donate blood) and there is no indication of lyme and except for that back soreness for awhile I've suffered no ill effects. Peg wasn't as lucky a few years ago but she is fine now too. Be careful out there folks.
So glad both of you are well ..... it is a scary disease. We are so lucky that we saw the tick as the buggers have an anesthetic in their teeth so we don't feel them attaching to us ! Thanks for sharing your experience.
I had severe neck soreness and fatigue for the first 2 months so few symptoms. All good now. Stay healthy and happy !

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps we may met at Montserrat. I plan to start walking this Tuesday in Barcelona. Plan to be at the Monastery on Friday.
I am still undecided If I'm walkng from LLanca or Barcelona... I arrive BCN on Saturday 21st. It seems almost easier to walk from BCN. Is it really worth it Laurie to hop on train to Llanca and walk from there ??

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I am still undecided If I'm walkng from LLanca or Barcelona... I arrive BCN on Saturday 21st. It seems almost easier to walk from BCN. Is it really worth it Laurie to hop on train to Llanca and walk from there ??

Well, it is LOVELY. The monastery of San Pere de Rodas is truly amazing and the views spectacular. And if you are even half the fan of Romanesque that I am, you will be enthralled. The cities of Vic and Girona are wonderful. But there are almost no albergues. So if you are on a budget it would be tough.

My current schedule has me in Huesca on November 1. That is a holiday and everything will be shut in a place where I could easily restock or pickup extras like warmer clothes. I may have to do two stages in one day to avoid this.

Watch your schedules too as October 12 is also a national holiday. Be in a good place.

Well, it is LOVELY. The monastery of San Pere de Rodas is truly amazing and the views spectacular. And if you are even half the fan of Romanesque that I am, you will be enthralled. The cities of Vic and Girona are wonderful. But there are almost no albergues. So if you are on a budget it would be tough.
Yes I love the Visigothic and Romanesque periods !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes I love the Visigothic and Romanesque periods !
I fell in love with the Romanesque on the camino. I wish I had visited Catalonia's National Museum of Art in Barcelona when we were there prior to our previous camino. We will visit it this time. It is supposed to have a great collection. Consider a visit if you start in Barcelona.

Perhaps we may met at Montserrat. I plan to start walking this Tuesday in Barcelona. Plan to be at the Monastery on Friday.
Hi Steven
Yes I think we might - I should be arriving there on Thursday or Friday, to start walking the following day. It would be great to meet up! It's really wonderful to know there are going to be others on the trail too.

I fell in love with the Romanesque on the camino. I wish I had visited Catalonia's National Museum of Art in Barcelona when we were there prior to our previous camino. We will visit it this time. It is supposed to have a great collection. Consider a visit if you start in Barcelona.
Oh, it’s a great place. Created quite the controversy when they decided to take all the original paintings from the little churches, put replicas up in their place, and bring the originals to the mother lode. The display is phenomenal, you actually walk through a series of chapels, it’s very well done.

And if you are an educator, and have proof of that, free entry. That was true for a lot of the museums I visited on the Camino Catalán, moreso than in any other part of Spain I’ve been in. Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I should be arriving there on Thursday or Friday
I won’t arrive at the Monastery until late morning/mid day on Saturday. I am making it a short day both because of the climb and a desire to have more time to explore. I am also taking the road less traveled going through Lleida and Zaragoza to connect with the Frances in Logrono.

I arrived in Barcelona today and had time to kill before check in so walked the unmarked route from the Mirador de Colom by the waterfront to the Mundet metro station. Tomorrow will start it as a new thread Live From the Camino.

Steven

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back