• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last Minute Cancellation

Spduncan

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal (May 2018)
Over the past few days I have been dealing with much anxiety with an upcoming transition in my life, and I am contemplating cancelling my trip to the Camino Portuguese. Does anyone have any suggestions to help make this decision?

Thank you all

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You are writing to people who are pilgrims, so I am thinking that shows that you want to go. So go. Remember that everything at home can be set aside for a few weeks or a month. Walking will give you perspective and focus.

I will hold you in my prayers this evening.

Kate

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Go. Life's transitions can be thought through on pilgrimage.

Buen camino.
This sums up what the earlier replies were saying. i am having a similar argument with myself today! And that is just about getting out to test a route for later, or cook the food in the fridge that will go off if I leave it till tomorrow! Go on, out the door! You are not this far along your camino for nothing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh impossible to say. But being out there on the Camino is way way more amazing than you can imagine. This is why people go back again and again.
It might allow you the space to deal with whatever is coming up in your life in a beautiful simple way. Walking is great for processing stuff.
All I know is that 'letting go' to the Camino has been an amazing experience. It would be a shame to miss it if you are able to get there.

There is a saying that If a problem can be solved, then why worry. And if a problem cannot be solved, why worry? And perhaps this could be relevant to your situation?
It is understandable to be anxious about changes in our lives, but if these changes are unavoidable we should try not to create more worry than is necessary. You don't mention how urgent this transition in your life is or if it will take place after your planned Camino, but if you cannot avoid the transition, and it will wait until you complete your Camino, then I would suggest you consider going to do your Camino.
As Liam above has said, it might give you the space to deal with whatever is coming up, offer clarity and insight and may even fortify your energies as you will have to opportunity to focus on what is important to you in your life. And hopefully, with a clear perspective, your anxiety will be lessened, if not leave completely.
I guess my only concern would be if this transition needed to be dealt with as quickly as possible. My worry then would you might remain preoccupied with it while walking. But, if it can wait and cannot be changed if you were to stay and work on it, then go! Walk and think and dream and reenergize and flourish like so many do on the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Over the past few days I have been dealing with much anxiety with an upcoming transition in my life, and I am contemplating cancelling my trip to the Camino Portuguese. Does anyone have any suggestions to help make this decision?

Thank you all
Ask your self what would be different if you cancelled your trip?
Have you walked other Caminios?
Just the rhythm of daily walking on the Camino soothes anxiety and gets so much oxygen to the brain that problems are more easily resolved.
I don't know how busy the Portuguese route is but if you are stressed the Camino Francis is very supportive and you will surely meet many kindred spirits.
After years of putting off the Camino, when I walked it I was transformed and wished I had gone sooner but maybe I wasn't ready. Flip a coin and go.

Thank you all

Will not going on your Camino change anything or ease your worries. If not, then I can't think of a better place to be think things through.

Many people on the Camino routes seem to walk to think things through, get over a disruption to their life, prepare for a new life and leave an old life behind.

I've lost count of the number of times fellow pilgrims have simply opened up and told me of their troubles, it always seems to me they simply needed someone to just listen. You might find your listeners too.

Buen (choosing the correct decision for you) Camino

Thank you all
Go. You made the commitment to this pilgrimage when you planned it. Fulfill the commitment you made! Sorry, but it seems clear you should go.

I think that the fear is just your soul telling you that you are setting off on a big adventure and it is excited! I have cancelled things out of fear before, and it has turned out to be a huge regret. I headed off all on my own to my first Camino in 2016 and had such a great time, I went back the next year and did the VDLP with the friend I met on the Camino Frances. My family was so amazed that this was me doing this. I was scared, but I would not cancel, as i remembered my past regret for doing so. Will you regret cancelling? probably so, will you regret going? NO WAY! Pray and listen to the spirit, that's all you can do.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thank you all
The Camino has its challenges; not least of which are the physical demands. You will discover your anxiety dissipates in the process of the walk itself. Bien Camino

Thank you all
Do you still have time to walk? If transition is on the horizon, it’s now or never!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thank you all
I also agree with Kate. Go and walk. You can always stop and go home at any time.

Thank you all
Imagine if you don’t go.. Will not going cause you greater anxiety? Go for it! I hope The Way will help you to prepare for your upcoming transition.

Sometimes life can get overwhelming with decisions and anxiety can be a byproduct. Anxiety can cripple us when we need to make decisions and we're caught in a vicious circle. You have your ticket, your plans have been made and your walk will change you. You will be amazed at the support you will find if are open to it. Even if you hate your Camino, you can always go home. Take a deep breath, have a cup of tea and stay calm while you think this though.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Thank you all

If the transition is one over which you have any control or influence then it might be better to stay and deal with it. If it will happen no matter what, then distancing yourself on a Camino may reduce your anxiety and allow you some time to gain a different perspective.
I wish you well either way.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.