• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute change of plans - can I start next week?

simpleton

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del norte (2015)
Hi all,

So I was originally going to do the Norte route in April/May, but due to a sudden change of circumstances, I will now have to start asap as my next adventure has come up much sooner than anticipated. I have now decided that I will do the Camino Frances and start in Pamplona. I have budgeted €30 per day with a little bit extra just in case of unexpected expenses. Is Pamplona to Santiago do-able in 27 days? Is it easier to get to Pamplona from Madrid or Barcelona? Have I left it too late to get my *stuff* together? And do I need travel insurance? I've never needed it before, but I'd like to know what you all think!

Maybe I'm an idiot for being so spontaneous!

Simpleton

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Calm down, all of that is perfectly doable!

Start in Pamplona - excellent choice for this time of the year.
30 Euro per day makes for a reasonable comfortable Camino with allowance for the odd luxury now and then.
27 days - Enough, as long as you are average fit and don!t have any major injuries.
Pamplona is easily reachable from allover Spain.
No, you are not too late. Just walk your shoes in asap.
Travel insurrance, depends where you are from, if in doubt - yes!

You are not an idiot and Buen Camino! SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Logroño is another option if you are not very fit - it gives you plenty of time and is also easy to get to train from either Barcelona or Madrid.

Thank you all for being so helpful! I must say that this community is incredibly supportive! My fitness is rather good - I am in the habit of walking about 20km daily in various terrains. Once I get to Pamplona will I need to register somewhere, or just turn up at the albergue?

Thank you all for being so helpful! I must say that this community is incredibly supportive! My fitness is rather good - I am in the habit of walking about 20km daily in various terrains. Once I get to Pamplona will I need to register somewhere, or just turn up at the albergue?

The municipal and also the german albergue sell credenciales/ camino passport. But you can also buy one through Ivar on this forum.
http://www.santiagodecompostela.me/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Usually just about any church has credentials - the Albuergue can point you to one.
I have a friend who worked as a nurse for an emergency company that picks up Americans who have been hurt overseas. And he told me years agoo to always buy travel insurance. Your insurance will not cover getting you home even if it pays for you to be cared for when you're overseas.
His brother in law fell off a horse in Italy. He had bought travel insurance but it didn't pay for him to be taken to the nearest city or anything. So he was taken to a clinic in the village. He had to have surgery to repair the broken leg - and then he couldn't travel home for an extra two weeks. And when he got home he had to go back into the hospital and have the leg re-broken and re-set and it is still messed up. He missed a total of about 3 months of work!
So spend the 100$ for insurance even if you're not American. If he had had it he'd have been brought home on a private jet with an attending nurse or at the very least had an attending nurse in first class.
And I think it is wonderful that you're just going to GO! Buen Camino!

Brilliant! I leave for Pamplona on Monday! Does anyone know the nearest albergue to the airport?

The least expensive albergue is the large municipal Jesus y Maria with 114 beds and a kitchen/lockers right across from the large cathedral . You can also get a pilgrim's passport there if you don't have one yet - get it stamped there and at the cathedral. It opens at 12 noon. I'm sure you can get a bus into town. This albergue is an easy walk to the plaza and onto the CF. The bed is 7 Euros. 948-222-644, 648,008-
932. Buen Camino. The close time for this albergue is 2300.

Edit: Sorry for the confusion. Thought you were looking for a bed in Pamplona, not Madrid. The albergue I mention is in Pamplona.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all,

So I was originally going to do the Norte route in April/May, but due to a sudden change of circumstances, I will now have to start asap as my next adventure has come up much sooner than anticipated. I have now decided that I will do the Camino Frances and start in Pamplona. I have budgeted €30 per day with a little bit extra just in case of unexpected expenses. Is Pamplona to Santiago do-able in 27 days? Is it easier to get to Pamplona from Madrid or Barcelona? Have I left it too late to get my *stuff* together? And do I need travel insurance? I've never needed it before, but I'd like to know what you all think!

Maybe I'm an idiot for being so spontaneous!

Simpleton

Simpleton:

Yes you can walk in 27 days. Thirty euro's per day should be plenty if staying 90% in Albergues. I find Madrid to be the best entry point for doing the Camino. Very good bus and train service from there to Pamplona. You should have plenty of time to get your stuff together. Travel insurance is a personal risk question. That said, I would recommend you check with your current insurance provider and see what if any medical coverage you might have in your current policy. There might also be travel coverage in your credit card.. If you are not covered in any current policy, the question is what type of risk taker are you?

You are hardly an idiot and you will be eliminating a lot of anxiety most have while waiting for their trip date to come.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back