• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

** Last minute dilemma - electric coil or kindle?

Gumnut

gumnut
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
With only 11 sleeps to go I need to make my mind up whether my luxury item is going to be an eReader or an electric coil for early morning cups of tea! My pack weight is currently 5.6kg so I can afford to take one or the other.
Any thoughts fellow peregrinos

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Looking at the weather forecast, it looks like electric coil...brrr...seriously considering changing my flight, as highs in the low 50s, 15 mph winds, rain, and near 100% humidity is not my idea of good walking conditions.

With a Kindle app on your phone you can have both ... ;)
I have never tried reading a book on my phone - not sure my eyes/specs will cope!! But definitely worth a try so I can have the best of both worlds
Thanks for the idea nidarosa!

No problem! Try before you go and if you decide to take the Kindle, you can always buy an electric coil in Spain if you miss it. (Personally I would take both since your weight is so low but that's me.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looking at the weather forecast, it looks like electric coil...brrr...seriously considering changing my flight, as highs in the low 50s, 15 mph winds, rain, and near 100% humidity is not my idea of good walking conditions.
No - the weather is looking pretty grim at the moment. I am hoping for the first flush of spring weather to coincide with my arrival in SJPDP!! (Or perhaps even earlier for the poor pilgrims trudging through the mud/rain at the moment!!)
Changing flights not an option for me. When do you head off Richard?

No - the weather is looking pretty grim at the moment. I am hoping for the first flush of spring weather to coincide with my arrival in SJPDP!! (Or perhaps even earlier for the poor pilgrims trudging through the mud/rain at the moment!!)
Changing flights not an option for me. When do you head off Richard?

Currently I am arriving SJPP on April 22nd. While I love 50 degree F hiking temperatures, repeated wet days can really hurt the feet, and my feet are soft from only doing about 100 miles of hiking last year (as opposed to 700 miles the year before). I can change my flight until early Monday, and am 50/50 on doing so at this point.

With only 11 sleeps to go I need to make my mind up whether my luxury item is going to be an eReader or an electric coil for early morning cups of tea! My pack weight is currently 5.6kg so I can afford to take one or the other.
Any thoughts fellow peregrinos

At the risk of offending the electric coil lovers ......... I don't think you will need one on the Camino Frances in late April/May. There should be plenty of places open for your morning cuppa.

Mind you, with a 5.6kg pack you could probably take both items! Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was surprised to find that reading on my phone worked fine. Now, if I'm traveling light, I always read from the Kindle phone app. I can understand that there are people whose eyes would not be happy, so you should check it out before deciding. Been camino!

They are not the same things are they ;)

Zzotte

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kindle. Most alburgues outside of Galicia have working kitchens, pots, etc. Hot water is not that hard to find (we routinely hard boiled eggs for the next day).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Currently I am arriving SJPP on April 22nd. While I love 50 degree F hiking temperatures, repeated wet days can really hurt the feet, and my feet are soft from only doing about 100 miles of hiking last year (as opposed to 700 miles the year before). I can change my flight until early Monday, and am 50/50 on doing so at this point.
Keep a close eye on those weather forecasts over the weekend - and Buen Camino!!

If you take the cover off your Kindle (put it in a waterproof freezer bag instead), you will cut its weight in half. Then you might be able to take both. But in any event, hot water should be readily available without having to carry a coil.

At the risk of offending the electric coil lovers ......... I don't think you will need one on the Camino Frances in late April/May. There should be plenty of places open for your morning cuppa.

Mind you, with a 5.6kg pack you could probably take both items! Buen Camino
Hopefully will be enjoying coffee in a bar/cafe fairly early in the day - but it's that kick-start cup of tea at 6am that I really need! :)
I think I've just answered my own question:rolleyes:
Thanks for your input NualaOC. I really enjoy the Forum - can be informative and very entertaining!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Neither - no need for a luxury item
Haha!!!!! I might have expected that from a Spurs Fan - obviously used to hardship!! ;)
(Please view this comment in the jovial light that was intended - don't wish to upset anyone :))

Last edited:
They are not the same things are they ;)

Zzotte
Hi Zzotte - only similar in that I rely on both at opposite ends of the day!
The coil to make the blissful first cup of tea and the kindle to provide a relaxing 15 minute read in bed!! (The latter obviously curtailed if it disturbs fellow pilgrims!!)

If you take the cover off your Kindle (put it in a waterproof freezer bag instead), you will cut its weight in half. Then you might be able to take both. But in any event, hot water should be readily available without having to carry a coil.

Hello Kitsambler
That sounds like a great idea - will get the scales out and recalculate!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked with a Scotish woman for a while in 2012 and she carried a lightweight .6L flask which she filled with boiling water in the morning, she would make several stops during the day to make a cuppa. I have since adopted the idea for hiking at home.

Haha!!!!! I might have expected that from a Spurs Fan - obviously used to hardship!! ;)
(Please view this comment in the jovial light that was intended - don't wish to upset anyone :))

Certainly no offence taken - I was being a little provocative - as I take no reading material and rely on cold drinks only - fortunately this season we have transferred the hardship to our dear rivals, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man United and Liverpool

My iPhone 6s works great for reading. Chose it specifically for reading during travel. Have several apps (iReader, Kindle, Bible app). Enjoying the history / culture of Camino iBook which I think will be very interesting as we walk. Won't have phone service but plan to skype family on occasion when WiFi available. Phone case is thin & light. I have iTunes but plan to enjoy the sounds of nature & chat with companions instead. Ready to "unplug". View media item 4791

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked with a Scotish woman for a while in 2012 and she carried a lightweight .6L flask which she filled with boiling water in the morning, she would make several stops during the day to make a cuppa. I have since adopted the idea for hiking at home.

I think I do that except I will filled with some other type of liquid :)

Zzotte

My iPhone 6s works great for reading. Chose it specifically for reading during travel. Have several apps (iReader, Kindle, Bible app). Enjoying the history / culture of Camino iBook which I think will be very interesting as we walk. Won't have phone service but plan to skype family on occasion when WiFi available. Phone case is thin & light. I have iTunes but plan to enjoy the sounds of nature & chat with companions instead. Ready to "unplug". View media item 4791
Hello TD Justus
Thanks for your response.
A couple of people have suggested reading on the phone. Although I love my kindle, mainly because it isn't back-lit and is easier on the eyes, I am probably now going to leave it at home for this trip. Extra weight is really the last thing that's needed when walking 800km!!!!
I've downloaded the book I'm currently reading onto my 5S iPhone and it seems OK.
I suspect I'll read less than I normally would at home anyway :) - sleep may be more of a priority!!!
Thanks again :)

I use a Kindle at home but find the Kindle app on a mobile phone a perfectly satisfactory alternative on the Camino. You have access to everything in your Kindle library, the print can be resized, the same way as on a Kindle, a phone is easy to hold in one hand in bed, flipping the pages with one thumb, plus it has a built-in light. Try it (the app is free to download) at home, before committing to taking your Kindle.

I'm one of those people who prefer paper
books. That said, I have no problem reading kindle books on my iPhone 6+.

I can also view news and other apps without wanting to scream. The larger screen is worth the giving up the compactness of other models.

I brought my small Kindle Fire tablet, and barely used it. I would definitely leave it behind next time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would leave both at home. The reading I did was in my guide, or on my phone. Hot water can usually be managed in the albergue with a pot, or walk to a cafe. But if I were going to take one, it would be the coil...I think you will use it more (even if you could do fine without)...and it's not as expensive to replace if damaged or lost. I've seen quite a few post re lost or damaged electronics but not one about a coil.

Also with a coil you can share the hot water with others, a Kindle can only be read (without difficulty) by one person at a time. Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.