A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Last Minute Extras

GlennCamino

Camino(s) past & future
Past: April 2015
Future April 2019
Hello All!

I am all packed to set off to leave for my second Camino from Burgos to Santiago, leaving on 17th April. Although this time I am doing it slightly differently in that I have my friend joining me, we both have a firm understanding of spending time together but also enough time to ourselves!

My bag is packed with all the basics, but I just wondered what rogue items you all take that you don't find on the standard packing lists?

Buen Camino,
Glenn x

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Dental floss and an extra-large sewing needle. The needle is useful for making big holes in blisters to drain them if necessary - though fortunately that is pretty rare these days. And dental floss is marvellous stuff with lots of uses apart from the obvious one. The best thing I've found for temporary repairs to heavy fabrics like rucksacks. Not always pretty but very strong and usually pre-waxed to make sewing through thick layers of fabric much easier. Also for splinting and binding damaged gear like the legs of spectacles.

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Some of us, usually winter walkers, carry the 'little luxury' of an electric water heating coil. See various posts here and here regarding using it (or not) and viable alternates as well as appropriate types of cups. As with most camino equipment the choice is large.

Happy brewing and Buen Camino,

Last edited:

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Hello All!

I am all packed to set off to leave for my second Camino from Burgos to Santiago, leaving on 17th April. Although this time I am doing it slightly differently in that I have my friend joining me, we both have a firm understanding of spending time together but also enough time to ourselves!

My bag is packed with all the basics, but I just wondered what rogue items you all take that you don't find on the standard packing lists?

Buen Camino,
Glenn x
Don't know what you already packed, I would include a small pocketknife w-i-t-h a corkscrew for picnic lunch, a small blade, bottle opener, can opener.

Delphinoula

Camino(s) past & future
Camino PdC 2018 Finisterre Muxía 2018
C Franconia 2019
Camino desde Algeciras Sevillia (2019)
A with fishing line threaded largish needle for repairs.

GlennCamino

Camino(s) past & future
Past: April 2015
Future April 2019
Thanks for all the advice guys! Certainly going to be adding some Floss and a large needle!

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
Small nail scissors - they come in handy for opening packaging, trimming labels that chafe and straps that dangle, and are so much more useful than nail clippers. Plus you can take them into the cabin provided the blades are less than 6 cms!

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
A metre or so of Duct Tape wrapped around an old plastic card (Oystercard for instance) or even a current credit card (so you won't use it unless it's an emergency - don't forget it is current though!).
Nappy pins (better than safety pins as they have a cover to prevent getting spiked)
Otherwise there are countless "Chino" bazaars across Spain (think Poundland on steroids) where you can load up with a variety of "goodies".
Have fun!

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
I take a small piece of bubble wrap. Good for when you need a sit down when it is damp or been raining (picnic areas, benches, rocks and walls) etc.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%