• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last Minute Extras

GlennCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: April 2015
Future April 2019
Hello All!

I am all packed to set off to leave for my second Camino from Burgos to Santiago, leaving on 17th April. Although this time I am doing it slightly differently in that I have my friend joining me, we both have a firm understanding of spending time together but also enough time to ourselves!

My bag is packed with all the basics, but I just wondered what rogue items you all take that you don't find on the standard packing lists?

Buen Camino,
Glenn x

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dental floss and an extra-large sewing needle. The needle is useful for making big holes in blisters to drain them if necessary - though fortunately that is pretty rare these days. And dental floss is marvellous stuff with lots of uses apart from the obvious one. The best thing I've found for temporary repairs to heavy fabrics like rucksacks. Not always pretty but very strong and usually pre-waxed to make sewing through thick layers of fabric much easier. Also for splinting and binding damaged gear like the legs of spectacles.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Some of us, usually winter walkers, carry the 'little luxury' of an electric water heating coil. See various posts here and here regarding using it (or not) and viable alternates as well as appropriate types of cups. As with most camino equipment the choice is large.

Happy brewing and Buen Camino,

Last edited:
Hello All!

I am all packed to set off to leave for my second Camino from Burgos to Santiago, leaving on 17th April. Although this time I am doing it slightly differently in that I have my friend joining me, we both have a firm understanding of spending time together but also enough time to ourselves!

My bag is packed with all the basics, but I just wondered what rogue items you all take that you don't find on the standard packing lists?

Buen Camino,
Glenn x
Don't know what you already packed, I would include a small pocketknife w-i-t-h a corkscrew for picnic lunch, a small blade, bottle opener, can opener.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A with fishing line threaded largish needle for repairs.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Certainly going to be adding some Floss and a large needle!

Small nail scissors - they come in handy for opening packaging, trimming labels that chafe and straps that dangle, and are so much more useful than nail clippers. Plus you can take them into the cabin provided the blades are less than 6 cms!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A metre or so of Duct Tape wrapped around an old plastic card (Oystercard for instance) or even a current credit card (so you won't use it unless it's an emergency - don't forget it is current though!).
Nappy pins (better than safety pins as they have a cover to prevent getting spiked)
Otherwise there are countless "Chino" bazaars across Spain (think Poundland on steroids) where you can load up with a variety of "goodies".
Have fun!

I take a small piece of bubble wrap. Good for when you need a sit down when it is damp or been raining (picnic areas, benches, rocks and walls) etc.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back