• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute fears

kwells

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning April 2015
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this forum - it's been such a great source of information and guidance for me.
I'm due to fly to Santiago on Thursday and aim to walk the 110km from Sarria on Fri-Weds.
I'm having last minute jitters that as a solo 29 year old female I'll feel unsafe. (is the last 110km really that busy this time of year?)
I've got a good level of fitness, but worry that I'm not fully prepared for 6 days of long walking - the weather looks rainy/thundery on several days and I'm concerned I'll end up wet and miserable walking alongside busy roads on the less scenic parts of the walk.

Any advice for quashing my fears?
Kay

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They are normal. Walk shorter days if it is too tiring. There are several hundred pilgrims per day on the last 100km, so you will have company. There is not a lot of road walking, and the weather is looking good. Have fun!

Welcome to the forum Kay. What you are feeling is perfectly normal and will all disappear when you start walking. You will be perfectly safe on that stretch and have no worries about fitness, just put one foot in front of the other and walk, take plenty coffee breaks and before you know the day is done. Enjoy every step.
Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Kay
I have walked the camino twice now - on my own. I understand your last minute jitters because I had them too before my first camino.
The section you are going to walk is beautiful with plenty of options along the way - and the excitement of walking into Santiago!
Bring some rain gear and you'll be fine.
enjoy!
buen camino

The first day is the hardest as you learn your rhythm and get some jitters out (but it's also so exciting because it's the first day!). If you expect that then it makes it better, emotionally speaking. Those who've been walking from farther out on the trail will pass you, but just go at your own pace and take it easy (don't compete, don't race). Follow the advice of many here about avoiding blisters and not pushing too hard, and even if it rains, look around you and enjoy the scenery. One of the best pieces of advice I got was to turn around after cresting hills and look back to see how far I'd come.

Take care, enjoy the journey, and Buen Camino!
Faith

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this forum - it's been such a great source of information and guidance for me.
I'm due to fly to Santiago on Thursday and aim to walk the 110km from Sarria on Fri-Weds.
I'm having last minute jitters that as a solo 29 year old female I'll feel unsafe. (is the last 110km really that busy this time of year?)
I've got a good level of fitness, but worry that I'm not fully prepared for 6 days of long walking - the weather looks rainy/thundery on several days and I'm concerned I'll end up wet and miserable walking alongside busy roads on the less scenic parts of the walk.

Kay

What's normal. You will be fine, Buen camino

Hi All,

Kay
Hi Kay , you will have a great time . Don't think that you be alone , you are not . Enjoy and go with the flow , wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi - I'll echo what everyone else has said - I was walking alone... sadly well passed 29 years old but I still had jitters :D I also worried about my fitness and spiders and dogs and basically anything and everything that could be worried about. But once I started walking the worries drifted away... there was nothing I could do once I was on the path.

And of course everything was fine... the usual blisters and bumps and bangs and spills but nothing that couldn't be fixed. I walked one day through a HUGE storm... really really HUGE. We were soaked and exhausted when we finally stopped for the day but crikey it was exhilerating walking in such wild weather!

Have a wonderful time... I suspect you'll be wanting to walk again once you've finished... 6 months later and I've manage to squeeze in 2 weeks starting from Saturday.:D

Thank you all so much for your replies.
I was, ironically, feeling like I'd lost my 'way' and motivation for the trip, and you guys have eased some of my fears.
Thanks for the support!

I hope you have a lovely trip and find your feet once you start on your way, I walked that section Easter of last year, I had my cousin with me and it was very very busy, you won't be alone on that section of the trail for long. I am going to do 100odd km starting on May 31st, I understand your jitters, my cousin was to travel with me but now is unable, I'm excited about the adventure but like you a little anxious too. I'm going from St Jean Pied De Port to wherever my feet bring me to over 5 days, I got the camino bug and trust me you will too :)
Have a wonderful trip,
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi All,

Kay
Hi Kay - just checked the weather, Friday light shower early morning but white cloud with no rain for next 5 days temp 16C+. As long as you keep dry on the inside and warm all is well when walking in the rain - a bit like children jumping in puddles with new wellington boots :) - don't forget to proof your boots before you start. At the start of each day just remember IGIT - In God I Trust and all will be well.
I start walking 10 May from Porto. Buen Camino. Colin

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi All,

Kay
Breathe. Just Breathe.
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” Frank Herbert.

I walked one day through a HUGE storm... really really HUGE. We were soaked and exhausted when we finally stopped for the day but crikey it was exhilerating walking in such wild weather!
Hi, Just curious with the storms. Are there lightning involved or just heavy rain? Given that the terrain is quite out in the open, any chance of being a lightning rod?

Siom - no lightning for us but heavy rain so strong it hurt and turned the roads to rivers and wind that brought down trees! o_O

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi - I'll echo what everyone else has said - I was walking alone... sadly well passed 29 years old but I still had jitters :D I also worried about my fitness and spiders and dogs and basically anything and everything that could be worried about. But once I started walking the worries drifted away... there was nothing I could do once I was on the path.

Is there some particular reason for worrying about, ugh, that 's' word, or just general arachnophobia? On second thoughts, if there is, please don't say, I have enough doubts/worries without that one. Deliberately refraining from doing a search on it.

Last edited:
Is there some particular reason for worrying about, ugh, that 's' word, or just general arachnophobia? On second thoughts, if there is, please don't say, I have enough doubts/worries without that one. Deliberately refraining from doing a search on it.

NO... none at all so please forget I even said anything! I'm just a crazy woman that worries about everything and I dont even mind the odd 's' around the house... there is absolutley no reason to even think about them... I never even saw one... I have no idea why I said it... honest! :rolleyes:

I have read about scorpians though o_O :confused:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Didn't see any of the spiders native to that part of Spain, nor did I see any of the vipers, wild boar, bear or wolves. But heck, you're from Australia. Y'all have way more scary critters there. ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Siom - no lightning for us but heavy rain so strong it hurt and turned the roads to rivers and wind that brought down trees! o_O
Sounds like that would be a good time to stop at the first town and call it a day walking wise. No use getting closer to God by having a Spanish oak fall on you. ;)

I did get caught in an hour long lightning, rain, hail storm on the LePuy route. We were in a small forest and the trail was a rutted road. The rain came down so hard that it quickly filled the ruts then the road itself and then the surrounding ground became a giant puddle. Nothing to do but wade...the thunder and lightning was almost simultaneous and trees were hit. No clearings and really no where to run to if you could run in the deep water. We just kept going on. Almost missed the village we were heading for as the rain obscured the fork leading to the village.
When we got to the village many trees had been hit in yards and the streets were flooded.
Made it to the Gite (albergue).lots of stories to be told that night at dinner. :)

Hi, Just curious with the storms. Are there lightning involved or just heavy rain? Given that the terrain is quite out in the open, any chance of being a lightning rod?

Lightning is rare, at least once you're in Galicia (can't speak for the rest of the country). In fact, it's so rare that usually our family gathers at the window to watch because we don't know when it will happen again next! It can rain hard, though, drenching rain with lots of wind that can ruin your umbrella. Hopefully you won't catch any of that while you're walking.

As I said, though, I don't know what happens on the Meseta - that's higher elevation and there really is nothing around. Just be careful and Buen Camino! :)
Faith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
NO... none at all so please forget I even said anything! I'm just a crazy woman that worries about everything and I dont even mind the odd 's' around the house... there is absolutley no reason to even think about them... I never even saw one... I have no idea why I said it... honest! :rolleyes:

I have read about scorpians though o_O :confused:
Bless you for these reassuring words.

Didn't see any of the spiders native to that part of Spain, nor did I see any of the vipers, wild boar, bear or wolves. But heck, you're from Australia. Y'all have way more scary critters there. ;)
I'm terrified of spiders, irrationally so! Really don't want to see any scorpions either!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ha ha.....calma, calma
I saw no spiders on either Camino. No scorpions. No snakes. No mosquitoes bit me, nor bedbugs.
No lions, tigers and bears....oh my.
Good, I didn't last year either! It never occurred to me - if I was going to Oz my radar level would be set at high but for Spain I didn't consider it! Okay blanking this thread from memory!! Ha ha :)

I'm terrified of spiders, irrationally so! Really don't want to see any scorpions either!!
Likewise. Not sure about scorpions, never having seen one in real life, but not keen on the experience. They are arachnids I think. Crabs aren't but the sight of little ones scuttling still brings on the phobic reaction for me.

The only big one is the salt water croc. Well and a few sharks. True we have more than our fair share of seriously poisonous s's, reptiles and tiny marine creatures. But in 65 years I've only once seen 1 of the really nasty ones, an s, and I've always lived in its habitat. They don't have to be dangerous to scare the s$&t out of me though.

So visit Oz, you'll be safe! (Just stay inside the flags at the beach and in the far north, watch where you're treading in the sea and don't camp too near the river let alone swim there).;)

Likewise. Not sure about scorpions, never having seen one in real life, but not keen on the experience. They are arachnids I think. Crabs aren't but the sight of little ones scuttling still brings on the phobic reaction for me.

The only big one is the salt water croc. Well and a few sharks. True we have more than our fair share of seriously poisonous s's, reptiles and tiny marine creatures. But in 65 years I've only once seen 1 of the really nasty ones, an s, and I've always lived in its habitat. They don't have to be dangerous to scare the s$&t out of me though.

So visit Oz, you'll be safe! (Just stay inside the flags at the beach and in the far north, watch where you're treading in the sea and don't camp too near the river let alone swim there).;)
Yeah, we got good old alligators here in south Louisiana, but they don't get as big as your crocs, nor are they as opportunistic in making a two-legged meal out of somebody. Still, I've seen a couple of 11-12 footers go by near the canoe I was in while paddling the bayous and it is a bit unnerving, ha ha. And yeah, we got some poisonous snakes too.
The only large wildlife (not counting drunken locals ;)) I saw while walking the Camino was a deer that crossed the trail in front of me in Galicia. That was cool.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Throw away your fears; they are useless stones in your pack. Go with a light heart. The only precautions you need take are the same as you would take at home and already second nature - watch for cars when crossing the road and don't assume men plying you with alcohol have your interests at heart.

Burn Camino!

Yes ...no kidding...I've completely avoided Australia as a travel destination due to the huge bloody spiders hanging from every power line ... I get a bit frightened too about the spiders...I've dealt with a phobia for years. I figure if I'm in an albergue maybe I can ask someone to help out and if I am camping I can make sure its a bug proof (as far as that goes) tent and deal with the freak out if it happens to be an issue. I may have to deal with carrying spray. I really can't do big ones tho so I am praying there aren't any.

Yes ...no kidding...I've completely avoided Australia as a travel destination due to the huge bloody spiders hanging from every power line ... I get a bit frightened too about the spiders...I've dealt with a phobia for years. I figure if I'm in an albergue maybe I can ask someone to help out and if I am camping I can make sure its a bug proof (as far as that goes) tent and deal with the freak out if it happens to be an issue. I may have to deal with carrying spray. I really can't do big ones tho so I am praying there aren't any.
There really is no need to carry bug spray with you on the Camino. Save yourself the trouble and the extra weight, not to mention the toxicity of the stuff.
But northern Spain does have bears. Maybe some bear pepper spray would be in order? :rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There really is no need to carry bug spray with you on the Camino. Save yourself the trouble and the extra weight, not to mention the toxicity of the stuff.
But northern Spain does have bears. Maybe some bear pepper spray would be in order? :rolleyes:
Have you or has anyone ever come across bears there? I'm in Canada and would never go camping in bear country without it.

Have you or has anyone ever come across bears there? I'm in Canada and would never go camping in bear country without it.
Ha ha....no I haven't, but the magnum sized blast of pepper spray may deter drunken, overly friendly pilgrims or locals....kidding, just kidding. Leave the spray can of aerosol hell at home, ha ha. :D

Ha ha....no I haven't, but the magnum sized blast of pepper spray may deter drunken, overly friendly pilgrims or locals....kidding, just kidding. Leave the spray can of aerosol hell at home, ha ha. :D
HAHAHAHA! Too funny!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back