• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute flight from Santiago to Madrid

pjacobi

Time of past OR future Camino
2015, St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos
2016, Burgos to Ponferrada
2017, Ponferrada to Atlantic Ocean
I plan to arrive in Santiago sometime mid-September, but don't know the exact date. I need to get back to Madrid for my return flight to the US. If I have extra days available, I'd like to spend them in Madrid.

Has anybody purchased a last minute flight from Santiago to Madrid, perhaps with only 1 or 2 day advance? How much did you pay for the ticket? I'm willing to pay up to $200 for the flight. What is the availability for a flight in September?

I would prefer the 1 hour flight, with the 5 hour train ride as the backup plan.

-Paul

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I did not want to take the bus either, so I booked a flight on Ryan Air from Santiago to Madrid when I returned to the US 2 weeks prior arriving in Santiago. At that point on the camino, I knew when my arrival date would be in Santiago. At that point on the camino, you can somewhat guess when you will arrive in Santiago. I booked it via their website; it cost approx. 70 USD. Just remember to be in Madrid (at least) 2 days before your flight back to the US. If you book your flight to Madrid the day before you leave for the US, and it is cancelled, you could be out of luck. The Ryan Air flights from Santiago to Madrid are either very early (7am approx) or very late (10pm) I booked the 10pm flight and arrive approx. 11:30pm. I stayed at a hotel near the airport (Tryp by Wyndham I believe) and they have a shuttle to pick me up. As far as a day or two in advance, I don't know. Again when you are about 150 to 200 miles from Santiago you can plan/estimate you arrival in Santiago and work from there. Good luck

Buen Camino

Mark

To get an idea about how prices develop you can use https://www.skyscanner.net/ and set it to 'whole month', that gives you an idea how prices are the next few days/weeks and how prices might be in September.

Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was able to get Santiago to Madrid on Ryanair for $20 wothout any extras such as choosing my seat. As a back up, see if you can get a super cheap fare like this the night before your international flight, assuming you know when that will be. Even if it is just a guess, $20 isn't much of a gamble.
Buen Camino!

I plan to arrive in Santiago sometime mid-September, but don't know the exact date. I need to get back to Madrid for my return flight to the US. If I have extra days available, I'd like to spend them in Madrid.

Has anybody purchased a last minute flight from Santiago to Madrid, perhaps with only 1 or 2 day advance? How much did you pay for the ticket? I'm willing to pay up to $200 for the flight. What is the availability for a flight in September?

I would prefer the 1 hour flight, with the 5 hour train ride as the backup plan.

-Paul

I went to the Santiago train station and bought a ticket to Madrid for a train that left a couple of hours later. There was a (short) lineup so this is not a good last second plan but it is okay for last hours plan. The restaurant in the train station was reasonably good.

I had a ticket with Easy Jet from Madrid to London. I went home earlier as planned on a quick decision. I was able to phone Easy Jet and have the ticket changed to a flight later the same day. There was a fee involved but not an excessive fee.

There is no way for anyone on this forum to predict availability in September. You might get some idea of the price by watching the Ryan Air website to see how prices fluctuate as any particular day of travel arrives.

Travel from Santiago to Madrid on same day as flight from Madrid to USA is not considered wise practice, particularly if it involves airlines instead of trains.

I was able to get Santiago to Madrid on Ryanair for $20 wothout any extras such as choosing my seat. As a back up, see if you can get a super cheap fare like this the night before your international flight, assuming you know when that will be. Even if it is just a guess, $20 isn't much of a gamble.
Buen Camino!

Sitting in the comfort of my US home, I'm estimating the date I'll fly from Santiago to Madrid on Ryan Air and it's $23 US. I think I'll just buy it and hope I nail the date. Wondering if I can wait to book until I get close to Santiago, I noticed that flights closer to today's date, particularly on weekends, seem to be running over $250.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back