• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute help for packing list please? :D

Angelrawr

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk for the first time in a mid-September! (2016)
Hi peregrinos! In less than 24 hours, I hop on the plane that will take me to Madrid and then the bus that will take me to Burgos. I am so excited, but worried that I haven't packed well enough! Will I bring too much stuff? Forget something crucial? Take the wrong thing? Please pitch in anything that you think would be helpful, even if it has nothing to do with my packing list. Below, I have added my packing list which was 80%+ completed thanks to Simon's list (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/packing-list-camino-spain-april-october.498/ thank you thank you!) with the respective weight of most items (I haven't been able to weigh everything due to that I'm running last minute laundry... haha!). What I definitely need help with is in bold. Thank you!

Backpack (3.4 lbs, Osprey 46 L)
Rain Jacket (0.8 lb)
Poncho (13.1 oz)
Long trousers linen or synthetic (9.8 oz)
Shorts (4.6 oz)
Walking shirts 2 (3.1 oz + ____)
Fleece (0.8 lb) [or a down jacket I have which weighs the same but is warmer. Is the fleece good since it's more sturdy? Or is the down better?]
Underwear 3
Hikimg socks 3 pairs (6.2 oz)
Light sandals (6.3 oz)
Sunglasses + case (5.5 oz)
Hat (6.5 oz)
Trekking poles (0.8 lb)
Sleeping bag liner (4.4 oz)
Ear plugs 20 pairs (0.6 oz)
Hair ties + bobby pins
supplements (I have a Vitamin D and iron deficiency)
tiny pack of tissues (0.8 oz)
Towel (light/small) [like a hand towel? Or can I bring a normal one?]
Several ziplocs
Pocket knife (will be bought in Spain)
Cellphone & Charger (7.8 oz)
Money / ID / Debit Card
Passport
Pilgrim's Passport
Water bottle [Brita filter 7.3 oz+800mL while Platypus foldable water bottle is 1.3 oz. + 2L. Should I bring just the platypus? Brita (because it has a filter?) both?]
Small piece of soap
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Sarong
Sports bra 2
guidebook

Stuff I want to bring but not sure if I should:

gold chain for my engagement ring- is it better to wear it on my neck than on my hand? After all, I have to take it off when I sleep...
my travel journal that I used in Spain the last time I was there
razor

Thank you!

Angela

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As always my comments in italics

Rain Jacket (0.8 lb) - leave at home, you have a poncho

Fleece (0.8 lb) [or a down jacket I have which weighs the same but is warmer. Is the fleece good since it's more sturdy? Or is the down better?]
- I would take the down.

Sleeping bag liner (4.4 oz) - no sleeping bag?

Ear plugs 20 pairs (0.6 oz) - unless you want to hand them out or they are single use, take less

Towel (light/small) [like a hand towel? Or can I bring a normal one?] -
use the sarong

Water bottle [Brita filter 7.3 oz+800mL while Platypus foldable water bottle is 1.3 oz. + 2L. Should I bring just the platypus? Brita (because it has a filter?) both?] - I would take neither and certainly no filter. I always just buy 1-2 PET bottles on arrival.

Sarong - there you have your towel

gold chain for my engagement ring- is it better to wear it on my neck than on my hand? After all, I have to take it off when I sleep... - I would leave at home, less risk of losing it.

my travel journal that I used in Spain the last time I was there - take a fresh one
razor - leave at home

Also, you take some sunscreen, the sun can still burn you this time of the year.
Buen Camino, SY

As always my comments in italics

Rain Jacket (0.8 lb) - leave at home, you have a poncho

- I would take the down.

Sleeping bag liner (4.4 oz) - no sleeping bag?

Ear plugs 20 pairs (0.6 oz) - unless you want to hand them out or they are single use, take less

Towel (light/small) [like a hand towel? Or can I bring a normal one?] -
use the sarong

Water bottle [Brita filter 7.3 oz+800mL while Platypus foldable water bottle is 1.3 oz. + 2L. Should I bring just the platypus? Brita (because it has a filter?) both?] - I would take neither and certainly no filter. I always just buy 1-2 PET bottles on arrival.

Sarong - there you have your towel

gold chain for my engagement ring- is it better to wear it on my neck than on my hand? After all, I have to take it off when I sleep... - I would leave at home, less risk of losing it.

my travel journal that I used in Spain the last time I was there - take a fresh one
razor - leave at home

Also, you take some sunscreen, the sun can still burn you this time of the year.
Buen Camino, SY

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

sleeping bag liner- yeah I did a lot of searching over the forum and it seems that the majority seem to say a liner should suffice at this time of the year. Do you think I should get a bag when I get to Spain?

Ear plugs- yeah I was hoping to give them out as needed! After all, they take so little mass and so little weight. Anything else, I probably wouldn't take extra.

Taking heed of all your advice!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try the liner first, if it is too cold, the weather changes there are stores plus the 'forgotten things' table or similar ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I'm mostly in agreement with @SYates except for a few things:
  • The platypus, which I would take.
  • The sarong, which I'd leave behind in favor of a small towel (or an old-fashioned flat cloth diaper instead--small, light, and absorbent).
  • Linen pants? I'd go tech instead.
  • Consider a vest and long sleeve hi-tech undershirt if you 'run hot,' instead of the down or pile jacket--that may be enough.
  • I'd only take the rainjacket as an extra layer if you ditch the jacket for a vest. If not--definitely the poncho (if it goes over the pack and has sleeves, like the Altus brand).
  • I'd take one fewer pairs of socks. Wash one, wear one. Same with undies--or be brave and go commando.
  • And...the ring? Why not leave it on at night? If it stays on your hand all the time it's one less thing to accidentally misplace. And a chain can break.
About the platypus: there have been threads here arguing the benefits and drawbacks of them--and everyone has an opinion one way or another--it's personal. I stay more hydrated with a water bladder--and at this time of year heat/dehydration is probably more of an issue than cold.
Buen Camino, Angela!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I didn't see a first aid kit. Everyone says you can buy whatever you need...but that doesn't help if you're in the middle of nowhere and have an allergic reaction (that happened to me), bad fall with a sprained ankle or nasty blisters that need lunch time care. I take a bit more than most but include things for allergic reactions, nausea/vomiting/diarrhea, colds, infections, wound care, blister care, ibuprofen/pain, dental kit, ace wrap, small roll of duct tape (useful for getting nettles off skin), headlamp, tweezers, emergency blanket (winter). All goes into a small bright orange dry sack that lives in the outside top pack pocket.

This stuff has come in handy more times than I can count but at the bare minimum, you need blister/wound kit, ibuprofen and benedryl.

Safe, healthy and fun travels!

I'm mostly in agreement with @SYates except for a few things:
  • The platypus, which I would take.
  • The sarong, which I'd leave behind in favor of a small towel (or an old-fashioned flat cloth diaper instead--small, light, and absorbent).
  • Linen pants? I'd go tech instead.
  • Consider a vest and long sleeve hi-tech undershirt if you 'run hot,' instead of the down or pile jacket--that may be enough.
  • I'd only take the rainjacket as an extra layer if you ditch the jacket for a vest. If not--definitely the poncho (if it goes over the pack and has sleeves, like the Altus brand).
  • I'd take one fewer pairs of socks. Wash one, wear one. Same with undies--or be brave and go commando.
  • And...the ring? Why not leave it on at night? If it stays on your hand all the time it's one less thing to accidentally misplace. And a chain can break.
About the platypus: there have been threads here arguing the benefits and drawbacks of them--and everyone has an opinion one way or another--it's personal. I stay more hydrated with a water bladder--and at this time of year heat/dehydration is probably more of an issue than cold.
Buen Camino, Angela!

I think I'll take the platypus too! I just really like the idea of a foldable one and it's so lightweight and can contain a lot of water. I am bringing the sarong because I need a cover-up skirt for when I visit the churches/cathedrals and it works amazingly for me as a very light jacket :) The ring- well, since my ring has a sharp stone on it, it scratches me to hell during the day already if I'm not very careful with it. If I slept with it, my tossing and turning would mean I woke up with brand new scars every night... Thank you for your advice! I will definitely take it into consideration. :)

I didn't see a first aid kit. Everyone says you can buy whatever you need...but that doesn't help if you're in the middle of nowhere and have an allergic reaction (that happened to me), bad fall with a sprained ankle or nasty blisters that need lunch time care. I take a bit more than most but include things for allergic reactions, nausea/vomiting/diarrhea, colds, infections, wound care, blister care, ibuprofen/pain, dental kit, ace wrap, small roll of duct tape (useful for getting nettles off skin), headlamp, tweezers, emergency blanket (winter). All goes into a small bright orange dry sack that lives in the outside top pack pocket.

This stuff has come in handy more times than I can count but at the bare minimum, you need blister/wound kit, ibuprofen and benedryl.

Safe, healthy and fun travels!
Thank you! I forgot to include the first aid kit and the headlamp as couple of the things I wasn't sure if I should bring! I am still rummaging through my things to find a thread and needle kit. I'll keep those things in mind!

I'll be doing a lot of last minute shopping at the airport when I'm there... :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I seriously hope that that will be exclusively for clothing first aid and not for blisters! Buen Camino, SY
uh oh- I thought that that's what people were doing! Take the needle and thread, heat up the needle to sanitize, let the thread soak up the blister... no? :confused: time to add something else to the shopping list.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks so much for the quick reply!

sleeping bag liner- yeah I did a lot of searching over the forum and it seems that the majority seem to say a liner should suffice at this time of the year. Do you think I should get a bag when I get to Spain?

Ear plugs- yeah I was hoping to give them out as needed! After all, they take so little mass and so little weight. Anything else, I probably wouldn't take extra.

Taking heed of all your advice!
I would agree with SYates. I'm just back from Spain and used my sleeping bag every night. It can get chilly especially when you are tired and/or hungry. Also I used 2 500ml bottles for water - you don't need a filter. I sent my platypus home at Estella.

uh oh- I thought that that's what people were doing! Take the needle and thread, heat up the needle to sanitize, let the thread soak up the blister... no? :confused: time to add something else to the shopping list.

NO! Sorry, but with that method you run a serious infection risk. Only because it works for some people doesn't make it a safe method for everybody. Please don't take that risk. Also as you described your understanding of the method, the thread wouldn't even be sanitised... Please use Davids method mentioned above.
Buen Camino, SY

Thank you for preventing a nasty situation! Good lord, I am nowhere as ready as I thought I was. Genuinely afraid for my life now... :|

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I didn't bring a rain jacket last time, just a wind breaker, but this time I am bringing a very light weight rain jacket for wearing around towns when I am not walking so I don't have to wander around in my poncho.

I also bring 3 pairs of socks and 3 underwear in case the pair I washed doesn't dry I have back up and also the extra socks in case I want to change them during the day. This time around my boots are waterproof and I am still not sure if my feet will over heat or not.

Definitely bring your journal - even though I have space in my old one I am bringing a new one - only you can decide on this.

Last time I only brought my brita but this time I am also bringing a platypus. I didn't drink as much as I should have and I am hoping the platypus will encourage me to drink more - plus I plan on keeping it filled with only 1 litre maximum so it will be extra water as well.

I was contemplating my down jacket but for drying purposes opted to bring my fleece instead. Also if it isn't too warm the fleece won't over heat me like the down would.

I am bringing a bath towel that is really old and threadbare so it is lightweight but dries me normally and is big enough to also use as a privacy screen while it is drying at the bunk.

Why not leave your engagement ring at home? If you are taking it off at night it would be a shame for it to go missing. Give it to your fiance to hold for you while you are gone.

Three pairs of socks are a good idea so that you can change to clean, dry socks when you take a rest break. I think that taking off shoes and socks and airing out your feet is one of the best blister prevention strategies, second only to wearing shoes that fit you well.

I'm on the Camino now, and for sleeping I'm using a silk liner and a super lightweight down throw blanket. I've only had to use the blanket a couple of times because it's been so hot. What I've really needed was a fan, or air conditioning!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This Forum is full of experienced opinions and difference. The platypus has a small mouth and hard to fill although is is light weight and foldable. The filter and it's weight are unnecessary. A rain jacket will have many uses the poncho less so. Packing your gear in light-weight waterproof bags will protect your gear and help to sort it all out, and all will be dry. I am not in the down camp there are synthetics that dry and will keep you warmer when wet. Think sleeping bag.......... Ultreya......... Will/Utah/USA

Waiting to board in the airport now- I ended up bringing just two pairs of socks and underwear (darn, now I wish I just kept the three haha) but hopefully things will still go okay.

I brought my down, platypus, my rain jacket(which is also a windbreaker), and my journal. I ended up leaving my ring at home. Thanks everyone!

I'm trying not to worry so much as I can't do anything about it now. But I do hope I can buy any missing supplies fairly easily when I get to Spain. :)

I know that I am a little late but this is my list.

Rucksack: 35ltrs
Water-Resistant liner bag for your rucksack.
Lightweight sturdy boots + crocs
3 pairs of socks
sleeping bag + pillow case
rainjacket
walking pole
2 sets pants
2 pairs walking trousers
3 shirts or t-shirts
1 long-sleeve fleece jersey
Broad-brimmed hat
Passport, travel tickets, pilgrim record/credencial, credit cards, money
Mobile phone
Sunglasses
Shower gel, toothpaste, toothbrush, tissues, nail file, nail clippers, lip balm.
Medicine and first aid kit
Towel
Water bottle, min 1lt
A length of string or paracord (clothes-line; emergency boot-lace; etc).
sewing kit
Very small torch
notebook and pen
Chargers for electronic devices and plug adapter.
Plastic spoon + fork

Buen camino.
Michael

I used that method twice, without any problem. Left the thread in overnight, applied Neosporin and a bandaid in the AM. I had no more problems.

Waiting to board in the airport now- I ended up bringing just two pairs of socks and underwear (darn, now I wish I just kept the three haha) but hopefully things will still go okay.

I brought my down, platypus, my rain jacket(which is also a windbreaker), and my journal. I ended up leaving my ring at home. Thanks everyone!

I'm trying not to worry so much as I can't do anything about it now. But I do hope I can buy any missing supplies fairly easily when I get to Spain. :)
The good thing is that there are stores in Spain. :) So you can buy a third pair of socks or anything else you may need.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Buen camino! :)
(You did very well to leave the ring behind)

Hi peregrinos! In less than 24 hours, I hop on the plane that will take me to Madrid and then the bus that will take me to Burgos. I am so excited, but worried that I haven't packed well enough! Will I bring too much stuff? Forget something crucial? Take the wrong thing? Please pitch in anything that you think would be helpful, even if it has nothing to do with my packing list. Below, I have added my packing list which was 80%+ completed thanks to Simon's list (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/packing-list-camino-spain-april-october.498/ thank you thank you!) with the respective weight of most items (I haven't been able to weigh everything due to that I'm running last minute laundry... haha!). What I definitely need help with is in bold. Thank you!

Backpack (3.4 lbs, Osprey 46 L)
Rain Jacket (0.8 lb)
Poncho (13.1 oz)
Long trousers linen or synthetic (9.8 oz)
Shorts (4.6 oz)
Walking shirts 2 (3.1 oz + ____)
Underwear 3
Hikimg socks 3 pairs (6.2 oz)
Light sandals (6.3 oz)
Sunglasses + case (5.5 oz)
Hat (6.5 oz)
Trekking poles (0.8 lb)
Sleeping bag liner (4.4 oz)
Ear plugs 20 pairs (0.6 oz)
Hair ties + bobby pins
supplements (I have a Vitamin D and iron deficiency)
tiny pack of tissues (0.8 oz)
Towel (light/small) [like a hand towel? Or can I bring a normal one?]
Several ziplocs
Pocket knife (will be bought in Spain)
Cellphone & Charger (7.8 oz)
Money / ID / Debit Card
Passport
Pilgrim's Passport
Water bottle [Brita filter 7.3 oz+800mL while Platypus foldable water bottle is 1.3 oz. + 2L. Should I bring just the platypus? Brita (because it has a filter?) both?]
Small piece of soap
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Sarong
Sports bra 2
guidebook

Stuff I want to bring but not sure if I should:

gold chain for my engagement ring- is it better to wear it on my neck than on my hand? After all, I have to take it off when I sleep...
my travel journal that I used in Spain the last time I was there
razor

Thank you!

Angela
Hi Angela:

I have to say that I am so jealous that you will be leaving soon (I've been back since June....addicted for sure!). Add a couple of safety pins (diaper pins work great if you can find them on short notice) for all kinds of securing things, such as wet socks to the outside of your pack to dry as you walk, to fashion a "screen" on y our bunkbed with your towel or sarong, etc. Definitely a first aid kit, and sunscreen, plus some kind of vaseline, balm or Glide to coat your feet prior to socks or for chafing places. I took the down because I wanted a fake pillow if needed, but it is true that wet down is useless. I wore a poncho and aside from looking like a small green turtle, it worked well. I also had a very thin wind jacket that I could wear if it was windy or a bit damp (too little moisture for the poncho). Definitely some type of nylon or "tech" pant. Linen isn't durable enough. Leave the ring at home - if you need something on that finger to discourage inappropriately friendly guys, add an inexpensive fake band. How about a bandana or buff for your neck or as a headband or face wipe, or impromptu bandage/ice pack securer? I did take a foldable water bottle, but Sarah's idea of just buying when there is fine too. I also was glad I had a travel towel; mine was probably 16 x 20", I also took a microfiber cloth that I cut in half for a compress/face cloth, and I DID find I used it - but that's me. One of the things that I was most thankful for was a suction hook for the bathroom/showers to hold my towel/hanging kit/clothes. An S hook or something similar would also work, since there is usually a shower curtain pole or some such. I also did 3 socks/3 briefs...and was glad since they didn't always dry (I hiked in Galicia in wet weather). If your sunglasses are prescription, consider a spare pair (same with prescrip glasses/contacts). I'd say you are pretty close to having everything...and you can ALWAYS buy it there. THe only things hard to replace are your passport, prescriptions/eyewear (and ENGAGEMENT RING). Otherwise, you are good to go.

Buen camino! :)
(You did very well to leave the ring behind)
Oh dear, just saw that you are already on the way....but sounds like you did just fine. Hey, I am pretty sure I saw undies and socks in Spain - actually I had to buy a bra after I laid my stuff out and knocked it off the chair under the bed. Have no fear....there are wonderful salesladies in Spain too!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Angelrawr , travel well

As I function in kg I have converted your list to that measurement and got to well over 7 kg. Well over 8 kg with a sleeping bag. Only you know your ability to carry that much.

And I also noted more than 34 items. Each by themselves seems eminently warranted. But collectively it is rather a large number to pack and unpack each day.

And I counted three clothing layers.

1) Rain jacket or poncho
2) shirt 1
3) shirt 2

When cold just put them all on. The air trapped between them will warm up and probably do as well, if not better, than either of the jackets you hummed and hawed about. When outside walk. When inside get into your sleeping bag liner. So leave the down or the poly-propolene jackets behind or send them onto Ivar, or anywhere.

You are underway. I commend you to cull and cull again.

Kia kaha (be brave, be strong, have courage, get going)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.