• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute packing questions

moranz

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, March to April 2014
Camino Portuguese June 2018
Hey everyone,
I am leaving for my camino in two days! I have a few dilemmas I'd appreciate help with.

1. My pack weighs 9.5 kg without food and water, it's a 60L pack (I didn't fill it up, but it's my trusty old pack! and I didn't want to purchase a new one). I am 163 cm and weigh 58 kg. Do you think that this is manageable or am I pushing it?

2. I decided not to take a sleeping bag, but a sleep kit (sheet and pillow case). Will I be cold? is it a must?

3. Since it's still winter, I brought fleece pants to sleep in - and they weigh quite a bit. Can I just take light sleepwear and count on the albergue to be warm enough? remembering that I also left out the sleeping bag.

Any other advice or input will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
Moran

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm not sure how you managed 9.5 kg without food and water, and without a sleeping bag either. You're only 4 cm taller than me and 12 kg lighter, so your clothes can't be all that big and heavy. Since I have yet to walk the camino, I can't give you any concrete advice, but I can venture that I think that you've probably overpacked - by quite a bit. Maybe you can post a list and ask for advice? I got some really good advice on my packing list over the past few days!

Happy walking,
S

I pack 10% of my body weight, including my pack, so I'm not sure how you doubled that either if you're not taking a sleeping bag. I'd say at THIS time of year, you'd better take a sleeping bag.

Can you count on the albergues to be warm?
NO WAY!

I almost froze to death last year in June at one albergue because they refused to turn on the heat and I had a down bag!

Perhaps you could list what you're packing and let us comment?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yeaicks, with not so many time, it's a little bit difficult to almost do anything.

9,5kg it's to much, even for winter. I know that you have a 60l bag, but that doesn't mean that you need to fill it up. Why don't you do has @Anniesantiago told, and post your packing list for us to help you?

Best Regards
Diogo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey everyone,
I am leaving for my camino in two days! I have a few dilemmas I'd appreciate help with.

1. My pack weighs 9.5 kg without food and water, it's a 60L pack (I didn't fill it up, but it's my trusty old pack! and I didn't want to purchase a new one). I am 163 cm and weigh 58 kg. Do you think that this is manageable or am I pushing it?

2. I decided not to take a sleeping bag, but a sleep kit (sheet and pillow case). Will I be cold? is it a must?

3. Since it's still winter, I brought fleece pants to sleep in - and they weigh quite a bit. Can I just take light sleepwear and count on the albergue to be warm enough? remembering that I also left out the sleeping bag.

Thanks,
Moran

This is way too heavy, especially for your size. You're going to be in trouble on the first day, and if you don't give up from exhaustion, you'll end up having to send stuff home or onto Santiago (which will cost you). Or you'll have to dump it all. I took 7kg and constantly was looking for stuff I didn't need. Go to the FAQ's section on this site and type in 'packing lists'. You'll get some good advice from people on this forum. And I'd advise you to buy a new lightweight backpack and a lightweight sleeping bag. You wont be sorry. Buen camino!

Fleece pants for sleeping are probably not necessary. A long, lightweight shirt or T-shirt is fine, with a pair of wool or cotton tights (pantyhose) underneath on really cold nights. If your sleeping bag weighs no more than the fleece pants, that might be better. I assume you're bringing a metal water bottle? If so, it can double as a hot water bottle at night if you make sure to only quarter-fill it, close properly and wrap in a clean sock

I must say, your replies scared the hell out of me :)

My last minute packing is due to being sick in bed the last 9 days. I wasn't sure I will be able to go until my doctor approved it yesterday. I really wanted to trial pack sooner and now I wish I had. You will notice I have a lot of meds, this is why.
I just translated my list to English, so some things might sound funny. Ask me if anything doesn't make sense.

I also have an option for a 50L bag that weighs about 1-1.3 kg, I need to check. I think I might take it instead. It belongs to a friend and she traveled with it quite a bit.
My sleeping bag if I do need to take it weights 850 gr.

I appreciate everyone's help very much :)

The list:

60L North Face Terra pack: 1.85kg

Clothes and footwear:
2 thermal undershirts
1 thermal pants
1 jeans (for the afternoon)
1 hiking water repellent pants (for the walking)
1 fleece pants (for sleep)
1 warm long sleeve shirt (for sleep)
2 light merino wool long sleeve shirts
2 long sleeve shirts (for the afternoons)
1 thick polartac fleece jacket
1 altus poncho
4 pairs of underwear
2 pairs of thermal socks
2 pairs of everyday socks
1 warm beanie
1 neck warmer
2 pairs of gloves (one for hike, one "fingerless")
1 pair of sport shoes (to change into in the afternoon)
1 sports bra
1 regular bra
1 hiking boots
1 pair of flip flops (for shower)

Medications:
Thermometer
Birth control pills
A pack of pain killers
Antibiotics for seven days
Lactose intolerant pills
Band aids
Iodine
Bengay
Monarol (fights bladder infections)
Eye drops
Folic acid and B vitamins (I need this for medical reasons)
Anti diarrhea pills
Compeed
Alcohol 70% (small bottle)
Sore throat tablets

Toiletries and the likes:
Small bottle of shampoo
Hard soap
Facial soap
Tooth paste
Tooth brush
Deodorant
Moisturizer
SPF 50 cream
Rose oil (I need this for my rosacea)
Small hairbrush

Makeup and the likes:
Mascara
Eyeliner
Lipgloss
Twisers
Small scissors
Shaving razor
Lip balm for extremely dry skin

Stuff:
Spork
Flashlight
Documents inside waterproof protection
Small wallet for coins
A pillow case and bed sheet
Pen
Travel guide
Pocketbook
One reading book
Laundry soap
One quick dry towel
Glasses
Earplugs
750ml contigo water bottle

What I am wearing (this is taken from the full list above, and wasn't a part of the 9.5kg inside the bag at the time I weighed it):

1 thermal undershirt
1 thermal long sleeve shirt
1 long sleeve marino wool long sleeve shirt
1 hiking boots
1 thermal socks
1 beanie
1 neck warmer
1 pair of gloves

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Agreed on the jeans, and the makeup: ditch them! Also don't bring anything else that will not double as hiking wear. Could you walk in the sports shoes? No one will expect you to look your usual groomed self. You don't need moisturiser if you already have SPF and rose oil. Also just one bar of soap, not three - if you have skin problems stick to a vegetable-oil based soap, like Dr Bronners, or buy in France or Spain where there is a good choice of palm-oil and olive-oil soaps. It can be used to wash clothes too. And because it's not drying you won't need body moisturiser. The scissors, tweezers and lip balm are good, but you've no need for a razor. Leave the wallet and keep your coins in a little plastic bag. Wear a money belt with your documents inside, in a ziplock bag. The sleeping bag would probably weigh less than the fleece sleeping pants, bed sheet and pillow case. If the 50L pack you suggest is as comfortable as your 60L one, then take it. If not, save the extra half-kilo elsewhere. You need two long-sleeve tops, maximum, plus two or three lighweight base layers. With an Altus poncho you don't need rain pants. Just one pair of gloves. And you don't need a reading book, just a writing one!
Half-way through every Camino I've done, I've stopped and taken stock of everything I'm carrying. I throw out a tube of something here, a map there, and before I know it all the little things have added up to a couple of kilos. It's never 'just mascara'!

Remember you are going to be washing all your walking clothes every day. So you only need one set of clothes to walk in, and one set of clothes when the others are wet. If possible both sets of clothes should be OK to walk in AND for sleeping. There is nothing wrong with wearing thermals as an outer layer in the albergue or even for walking in if your other clothes don't dry in time (just get dark colours).
Forget the jeans - too heavy, take too long to dry, thermally inefficient. Wear the thermal pants instead. Leave out the fleece pants and long sleeve shirt for sleeping and take a sleeping bag - leave out the sheet (unless it's silk). Sleeping in the thermal pants with one of your merino shirts in a sleeping bag should keep you plenty warm. You don't need four shirts - 2 is enough with your fleece jacket. 2 or 3 pairs of underwear instead of 4. 3 pairs of socks instead of 4. Instead of sports shoes plus flip flops try and find something that will do for both - Crocs?
You seem to have far too much in your medical kit. There are well stocked pharmacies everywhere in Spain. Only take medications you are actually using now or are quite sure you will need. If it were me I would not be taking thermometer, antibiotics, lactose intolerant pills, iodine, alcohol or sore throat tablets. I don't know what Bengay is used for but I do take an anti fungal cream.
Toiletries - get soap that is also suitable for shampoo and washing clothes (can be bought in Spain - search this forum for Rebekah Scott's post- she gives the brand name).
Totally, totally forget the makeup and the shaving razor!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't be. Only your bag will be a little heavy:) . Sure you will survive though.

I also have an option for a 50L bag that weighs about 1-1.3 kg, I need to check. I think I might take it instead. It belongs to a friend and she traveled with it quite a bit.
Take care that almost all backpacks do come in sizes, small and large. Is she about the same size as you are?

There are a few ways to handle this weight thing on the camino.
- You just take it all, experience the weight and the needs on your Camino and go to a post office after a few days and send home all the items you want to get rid of.
- Go for lite, take out many things before leaving and just buy the things you really, really miss (and want to have on your back) on the Camino. I don't know what country you live, but Spain is relatively cheap. There are many really really cheap chinese shops on the way in which you can buy anything.
Any way will be fine.

It is difficult to advice as any body is different. As said before, be aware that in winter time there is not so much sweating. And, there is plenty of time every day to do a little washing. So no need to take that many clothes.

In your list I count 7 shirts and 4 pants. It is really a lot. Unless your back needs suffering, you won't need it. ;)
I would take out:
- The jeans. They are heavy, I never experienced the need for it.
- 1 thermal undershirt
- Fleece pant (but take the sleeping bag instead, it can be really cold). You can still wear your thermal clothes at night.
- Sleeping shirt. Just take one of the other shirts.
- I wouldn't take separate walking shirts and afternoon shirts. After showering, I wear the shirt in which I walk in the next day. If till take an afternoon shirt, 1 max
- Sport shoes. You might be able to walk in flip flops the rest of the day. Or take light weight, crocs instead.
- 1 pair of everyday socks. Usually you wear these sock only a few hours a day while doing nothing but rest. You can wear the same afternoon socks for days!
- Take out 1 pair of gloves!
- 4 kinds of soap/shampoo. All these soaps are kind ot the same! I only take (more expensive/concentrated) shampoo. You can also wash clothes with shampoo. Try it!
- Water bottle. I usually buy half a litter of water when I start and just refill the bottle. Nothing more light than that.
- Makeup (well, I'm a man...) Still, I don't think there is much need of makeup on the Camino. You can still run to a Chinese shop if desperate!

I'll start by saying that you are all amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a forum that provides such fast, comprehensive, and professional help.
I'm taking your recommendations to heart and re-packing, I'll update soon with the new weight :)

I am conflicted between my pack and my friend's.
Mine is the North Face Terra 60L, and hers is Quenchua Forclaz 50L. According to the manufacturer (I trust them more than my weight scale) mine is 1.85 kg and hers is 1.3 kg. It's quite a difference in weight, but my pack offers better back and hip support. It seems to be more built. Would you go for a lighter but less sophisticated pack, or a heavier one with a better back system? o_O

1339597-quechua-forclaz-50-400x400-imada72gux3panad.jpeg
8243268_DEC82004_9.jpg

OR

T60BLU.jpg
183244836_18323552370449f1bac1e44db0139e9d631dbda2fde6bfae8.jpg
142124_02_terra_60_backpack_by_northface_640.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll start by saying that you are all amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a forum that provides such fast, comprehensive, and professional help.
I'm taking your recommendations to heart and re-packing, I'll update soon with the new weight :)

Mine is the North Face Terra 60L, and hers is Quenchua Forclaz 50L. According to the manufacturer (I trust them more than my weight scale) mine is 1.85 kg and hers is 1.3 kg. It's quite a difference in weight, but my pack offers better back and hip support. It seems to be more built. Would you go for a lighter but less sophisticated pack, or a heavier one with a better back system? o_O

8243268_DEC82004_9.jpg

OR

T60BLU.jpg
I would definitely take the lighter pack. Even that one is large and heavy.
If I were you I would try to get down to about six kilo, including the pack. Or even less.

8243268_DEC82004_9.jpg

OR

T60BLU.jpg

Being a howner of a Quechua backpack, I don't think that they have a very bad back system. Give it a try. I never had back problems because of my backpack. And I only have Quechua backpacks, all of them without any big fancy back system.

Best Regards
Diogo

Don't want to make it more difficult for you but.... never change a winning team. If the terra was fitting fine until now it's important too.
By the way, where do you start? If you will be in a bigger town after a few days on the Camino you might consider to buy a new pack... The Osprey has been always fine.
You can then send your old pack home together with aaaallllll the things you don't want to take any more. :D
Then your body is starting to adjust to walk, your pack is new, stuff is really sorted out, your camino and your joy can really start!
Anyway, be gentle to yourself. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

My last minute packing is due to being sick in bed the last 9 days. I wasn't sure I will be able to go until my doctor approved it yesterday. I really wanted to trial pack sooner and now I wish I had. You will notice I have a lot of meds, this is why.
I just translated my list to English, so some things might sound funny. Ask me if anything doesn't make sense.

The list:

Clothes and footwear:
2 thermal undershirts
1 thermal pants
1 altus poncho
4 pairs of underwear
2 pairs of thermal socks
1 warm beanie
1 neck warmer
1 sports bra
1 regular bra
1 hiking boots

Medications:
Thermometer
Birth control pills
A pack of pain killers
Lactose intolerant pills
Band aids
Iodine
Bengay
Eye drops
Anti diarrhea pills
Compeed
Sore throat tablets

Small bottle of shampoo
Hard soap
Facial soap
Tooth paste
Tooth brush
Deodorant
Moisturizer
SPF 50 cream
Small hairbrush

Makeup and the likes:
Mascara
Eyeliner
Lipgloss
Twisers
Small scissors
Shaving razor

Stuff:
Spork
Flashlight
Small wallet for coins
Pen
Travel guide
Pocketbook
One reading book
Laundry soap
One quick dry towel
Glasses
Earplugs

What I am wearing (this is taken from the full list above, and wasn't a part of the 9.5kg inside the bag at the time I weighed it):

1 thermal undershirt
1 hiking boots
1 thermal socks
1 beanie
1 neck warmer
1 pair of gloves
Hi moranz,
Many good comments from above but one thing for sure to know - I too am lactose intolerant and was told by a forum member from Spain that we do need to bring all our pills for lactose intolerance since he didn't think we would find them in Spain. I am bringing 7 per day times 43 days (includes travel days).
Good luck and Buen Camino.
Stefania

I will chime in with previous posters. - Your total pack weight is much to high. Only take two's of any clothing article (well, maybe except for underwear: knickers). - And don't take makeups except maybe for moisturizing creams which you may find necessary - and then only in small dispensers.

As has been said, everything is available in Spain - even meds (if not on script).

Your feet will love you if you walk with a lighter load.

annelise - and Buen Camino

Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Moran
To me the weight seems a bit high, that said I would not go without a sleeping bag.Most Alburgues offer blankets but you don't know how sick the last person to use them was. Dave Bird

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am appreciating this thread. I am in countdown as well...weighed just toiletries last night and almost died on the spot. Things
I really wanted to take got ditched in a flash. Acceptable choices replace preferred.

I don't "get" where all your weight comes from, nor do I know how mine adds up so quickly. I will be very interested to hear your changes because I am pretty sure I will be in the same place in a few days once I weigh it all together.

I agree with taking your friend's "lighter" pack. Also, what helped me pack was the advice, "don't pack your fears"….

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So this is how it is,

My pack is 8 kg. It includes the pack weight, and excludes what I am wearing (thermal suit, thermal socks, underwear, sports bra, long sleeve marino wool shirt, hat, gloves, neck-warmer). I put the fleece and altus inside the pack for the weighing.

1. I decided to take my own pack, the heavier one. Unfortunately when I tried both on it was apparent that my pack offers much better and needed support for my back and shoulders. It's my biggest downfall, since it weights 1.850 kg. Thomas1962, I start at SJPP. But I think you have the right idea about purchasing a new pack. I can't do it now, hours away from my flight (!), but if by the time I reach Pamplona my back will suffer enough I will buy a lighter pack and send my current one home. I think that could save me even a kilo.
2. As for the sleeping bag, I borrowed one from a friend that weights 700 gr. So it's back in.
3. I removed my pajamas :p no more night shirt and fleece pants. I will sleep in my thermals like a true pilgrim!
4. I only saved one long sleeve shirt for the "afternoon" instead of the two that I had before.
5. Only one merino wool long sleeve shirt. So I only have two long sleeve shirts in total.
6. Half of my medication is gone. I still saved all the things I had, but took half the amount of each. For those of you who mentioned my lactose intolerant pills - at home I simply avoid dairy. I am taking this in case I have no choice or accidentally consume dairy. If I don't take one of these shiny little pills, I will end my camino in a hospital.
7. No more jeans. Instead, I have lightweight black pants.
8. One soap for body washing and laundry. I still have shampoo and facial soap. I can't trade my facial soap, it's suited for my skin allergy (I sound so high-maintenance, I know).
9. Only one pair of gloves and one hat.
10. I bought crocs! I haven't had any until this day :) ditched my sport shoes and flip flops and got this instead. But boy are they ugly.
11. Only took half the amount of the moisturizer and half of my rose oil. Only kept two items of makeup: eyeliner and lipgloss. I hope you're not disappointed in me, I have a hard time not having them as an option. I have no intention of waking in the morning and wearing makeup, it is just a "in case" thing. Oh, the vanity.
12. I took a lighter fleece. I had a massive polartac one, I took the lighter one. Hopefully I won't freeze, I have no idea what true winter is. I live in a desert country.
13. One less pair of socks, one less pair of underwear.
14. I removed the sheet and the pillow case.
15. I just couldn't bring myself to leave my guidebook, reading book, and notebook behind. The thought of the camino without them is too difficult for me. It's 850 gr... but it stays.

I can't remember anything else. So I think I got most of it.

If I had a lighter pack, would be willing to live without the written word, and be less sickly and allergic - I think I could've gotten down to 6.5 kg. Alas, it is not in the cards. I am a little worried about the weight, but I think necessity is the mother of invention. If it's too much for me, I will simply adapt on the way and do what must be done.

What do you all think?

And once more, thank you all so much.

Hey everyone,
Thanks,
Moran
Whatever you decide to take or not to take, you need to get at least two kilos outa that pack.
Regds
Gerard

I think you've done very well, Moranz! This thread has been very engrossing, partly because we've all been there with the big packs and the must-take items. The fact you've pared it down to 8kg is brilliant. You totally deserve to bring your eyeliner and lip gloss! As long as they're not really special ones that you will be sorry to throw away some way past Pamplona... I hope you will find that using fewer products and being in the fresh air reduces your allergies. But most of all I hope you have a wonderful, carefree Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here are my thoughts:

The list:

Clothes and footwear:
2 thermal undershirts - you only need one and sounds like you're wearing it
1 thermal pants
1 jeans (for the afternoon) - Jeans are NOT good Camino wear. They're heavy, they're cold when wet, and they're not too comfortable. Leave them home.
1 fleece pants (for sleep) - leave these home. Sleep in your thermal pants.
1 warm long sleeved shirt - leave this home. Sleep in your thermal undershirt
2 light merino wool long sleeve shirts - just take one, leave one home
2 long sleeve shirts (for the afternoons) - leave them home. YOu have enough long sleeved shirts.

1 altus poncho
4 pairs of underwear - you only need to wear one and take one
2 pairs of thermal socks
2 pairs of everyday socks - you do not need these
1 warm beanie
1 neck warmer
2 pairs of gloves (one for hike, one "fingerless") - pick one and leave the other home
1 pair of sport shoes (to change into in the afternoon) - leave these home and wear your flip flops or pick up some lightweight plastic shoes on the Camino

1 sports bra
1 regular bra
1 hiking boots

Medications:
Thermometer - you do not need this. Leave it home.
Birth control pills
A pack of pain killers
Antibiotics for seven days - leave these home - antibiotics are easily available if you need them. Pharmacists in Spain can give prescriptions on the spot.
Lactose intolerant pills
Band aids
Iodine - leave it home
Bengay - leave it home
Monarol (fights bladder infections) - leave it home
Eye drops - leave it home
F
olic acid and B vitamins (I need this for medical reasons)
Anti diarrhea pills - leave it home
Compeed
Alcohol 70% (small bottle) - leave it home
Sore throat tablets - leave it home

NOTE: All of these first aid supplies are unnecessary in my opinion. Anything you need you can get in Spain. There is a farmacia open in nearly every village every day.

Small bottle of shampoo -
Hard soap - why do you need two bars of soap?
Facial soap - leave one home.

Tooth paste
Tooth brush
Deodorant
Moisturizer
SPF 50 cream
Small hairbrush

Makeup and the likes: - personally, I'd leave the makeup. You won't see many pilgrims wearing makeup.
Mascara - leave it home
Eyeliner - leave it home
Lipgloss - leave it home
Twisers - leave them home
Small scissors - leave them home

Shaving razor

Stuff:
Spork - leave it home. Pick up a plastic fork if you need it.
Flashlight - Unless you plan on walking in the dark, leave it home

Small wallet for coins
A pillow case and bed sheet - ???? Leave this home! You do not need it.
Pen
Travel guide
Pocketbook - like a purse? - Leave it home!
One reading book
Laundry soap
One quick dry towel
Glasses
Earplugs

I'd leave everything in red home and weigh your pack again.
I don't see a sleeping bag. :)

Annie

Thank you Moranz for letting us be part of your process. It gave me a good possibility to deal with my daily Camino blues. :)
We all know the point of last packing our pack, standing in front of all the items we selected and having to make a choice what not to take. On my first Camino I took 13 kg's (90 kg's myself). I did ok, but knew what to improve on any next Camino... Last year I left with 4,5 kg's.
If you have any time on your camino to give an update of your experience, plz do so and let us learn!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would kill the jeans and at least 2 shirts for starters. And a lot of the cosmetics. Unless it's stopping cracked lips or skin, I would leave them home.

Here are my views in red:

60L North Face Terra pack: 1.85kg - I think that it is too big for most situations. A 30 to 40L and no more than 1.5KGs in weight should do most situation unless you plan to camp or are carrying gear for a partner or child .... a big bag will mean that you will either carry too much gear or your gear will sit incorrectly on your back towards your bum putting pressure on your back.

Clothes and footwear:
2 thermal undershirts
1 thermal pants - maybe two would be a good idea as weather conditions might require it.
1 jeans (for the afternoon) - not a good piece of clothing to bring on the Camino as they are heavy, no good in the rain. Better bring an additional pair of hiking trousers or a dress. Use your hiking trousers for the afternoons or bring a dress that you can also use as an undershirt as well as the afternoon. With the exception of insurance you should only bring things that are useful on the Camino in terms of walking and sleeping. Nobody else will be wearing jeans so sore thumb situation ...!!

1 hiking water repellent pants (for the walking) - bring 2 pairs of normal hiking trousers and a separate pair of waterproof trousers that can be used in windy and wet conditions.
1 warm long sleeve shirt (for sleep) - no reel need for separate sleeping clothes - can use your hiking gear eg thermal shirt and thermal leggings
2 light merino wool long sleeve shirts - Possibly too many long sleeve shirts, drop the afternoon concept in terms of change of clothes using your hiking clothes instead.
2 long sleeve shirts (for the afternoons) - best to bring only clothes that you will use on the Camino as they will be more versatile than non Camino clothes
1 thick polartac fleece jacket - better to bring lots of light layers as there are more flexible and take up less space. A large fleece is a one trick pony that will take up lots of space and likely to be relatively heavy
1 altus poncho - I think that a poncho waste of time for this time of year, bring a good rain jacket. Ponchos are fine for Summer/Autumn but not for Winter - westerly winds, rain, snow ....
4 pairs of underwear - 2 pairs maybe will do
2 pairs of thermal socks - bring 3 or more as you will need them if the weather is terrible
2 pairs of everyday socks - bring more if the weather is crap they weight nothing but could be a foot saver. Make sure they are well worn
1 warm beanie -
1 neck warmer
2 pairs of gloves (one for hike, one "fingerless") - Consider one warm pair possible waterproof for crap weather and one walking pair ... dump the fingerless ones
1 pair of sport shoes (to change into in the afternoon) - make sure that they are light eg triathlon racing shoes
1 sports bra - 2 sports bras that are comfortable under your rucksack
1 regular bra - loose it in preference to a good sports bra
1 hiking boots -
1 pair of flip flops (for shower) - make sure that they have good grip ... score Xs across the base to improve grip
Medications:
Thermometer - Loose it ...
Birth control pills - make sure you tell your fellow pilgrims before you have sex as many take offence to it !!!!
A pack of pain killers
Lactose intolerant pills -if this is a big issue than maybe bring lots as Spain is glueten central
Band aids - loose in preference to sterri stips
Iodine -
Bengay
Eye drops
Anti diarrhea pills
Compeed - bring zinc tape as well as it is really handy
Alcohol 70% (small bottle) - there is lots of booze on the Camino so no need to bring it from home
Sore throat tablets - buy them along the way if you need them
Small bottle of shampoo
Hard soap
Facial soap
Tooth paste
Tooth brush and floss
Deodorant - loose it as nobody will smell you and you will have a shower every night
Moisturizer - don't need it ..... bring less hard soap for showering
SPF 50 cream - just a small container as you can buy some on the way and best to cover. Bring UV lip balm
Small hairbrush
Makeup and the likes: - you will stand out like a sore thumb wearing make up ...
Mascara -
Eyeliner
Lipgloss - get UV lip gloss
Twisers
Small scissors
Shaving razor - best not to shave during or before the camino so as to avoid ingrown hairs that might get infected
Lip balm for extremely dry skin - loose in pref for lip balm
Stuff:
Spork
Flashlight - head torch with red filter for walking around the hostals at night so as not to annoy fellow pilgrims
Small wallet for coins - leave behind as you will accumulate coins I you have a coin container
A pillow case and bed sheet - loose if you are bringing a sleeping bag liner
Pen - bring a few if you have a preferred ben
Travel guide - bring some A4 plastic sleeves for the information sheets you will be given in SJPP.
Pocketbook
One reading book - loose and focus on being on the Camino - talk to pilgrims, silence, draw, yoga, meditation ... you have the rest of your life to read ...
Laundry soap - loose as you can buy little blocks of washing powder in the hostals
One quick dry towel - being a small towel from home as the travel towels are crap
Glasses
Earplugs - bring lots and ideally with a string between them so they do not get lost
1 thermal undershirt
1 thermal long sleeve shirt - consider swopping this for a light fleece
1 hiking boots
1 thermal socks
1 beanie
1 neck warmer
1 pair of gloves

• You will need a descent hiking jacket and waterproof trowsers for this time of year.
  • Consider bring a small pair of snow shoes/ yack tracks as the ground could be very slippey in wet conditions
  • Where are your walking poles .... never leave home without a pair of Nordic walking poles with cork handles.
  • Sleeping bag - will be cold so worth bringing one that ideally weighs no more than 1 KG ideally less along with a liner.
  • Travel Insurance that includes airlift home in the event of a major health issue. Make sure it allows for the duration of walking you plan to do and the activities you plan to undertake as some insurances assume that you will be sitting in a bus or car and see walking as sport and not cover it!!!!
  • Waterproof bags to store your gear and keep them waterproof - Eagle Creek make really good see through plastic bags.
Kind regards

C

Hey everyone,

1. My pack weighs 9.5 kg without food and water, it's a 60L pack (I didn't fill it up, but it's my trusty old pack! and I didn't want to purchase a new one). I am 163 cm and weigh 58 kg. Do you think that this is manageable or am I pushing it? You backpack is way to big for 9.5KGs of gear and not likely to be fit for purpose - 30 to 40L should do. 9.5Kgs is possibly 2 to 3 KGs too much ......

2. I decided not to take a sleeping bag, but a sleep kit (sheet and pillow case). Will I be cold? is it a must? You will so need a sleeping bag and a good one at that as it will be cold at night until mid April possibly May

3. Since it's still winter, I brought fleece pants to sleep in - and they weigh quite a bit. Can I just take light sleepwear and count on the albergue to be warm enough? remembering that I also left out the sleeping bag. Bring a good sleeping bag and a light fleece that you use as a layer for walking and for in the evenings during down time.

Thanks,
Moran

Metropolly and Thomas1962, thank you :)

Anniesantiago,gerardcarey, and Cissa69 - your last minute input is great and I will take it into account. I didn't mention poles because I plan on picking them up at SJPP. Also, I might consider a rain jacket instead of the poncho. It's difficult for me to prepare because I never experienced weather like this before. Our version of winter is 22c degrees and sunny.

As for the sex, Cissa69, you cracked me up. But I sure do hope you're joking.

Stephen Nicholles, beware. You never know what the next life might bring ;)

If you cannot get poles at St Jean you will be able to pick them up in Ronconvalles ..... cheap and basic but will do the job

Better still defer until Pamplona and buy Gabel " Camino De Santiago" branded walking poles with the Camino Francaise printed on each of them from a lovely Camino shop that deserves our support. I have a pair, a tad heavy but it is so cool to have bespoke poles.

http://www.caminoteca.com/index.php...pment/trekking-sticks-18/ca041301-detail.html

They have loads of other Camino branded gear. I like their peaky hats which are great in the rain and under the hood of your jacket as hoods can be annoying. The owners are from Hungry and set the shop up after they walked 2 or so years ago. The shop is located about 100 m from the municipal hostal. They have lovely little note books.

I do not know what other pilgrims think but based on the assumption that the weather in March is going to be:
  • Snowing in places;
  • Raining lots;
  • Cold;
  • Possibly windy - blowing into face as the prevailing wind is westerly
  • The trail is likely to be muddy in places, thus the idea of the Yacktracks
  • Hostals cold at night due to the weather and the smaller volume of pilgrims so not much boy heat (unless they are having sex!!!)
So a good hiking windproof and waterproof jacket and trousers accompanied by a good warm sleeping bag for sleeping in it is really challenging to sleep when you are cold. A good jacket will have a peaked and adjustable hood, waterproof zips, underarm venting via sips, long enough to go over your trousers and baggy enough to cover ideally three or possibly four under layers. You will want the ventilation so as to avoid sweating which you will do despite the weather. Bring lots of socks as you may need them and possible a spare pair of insoles just in case you cannot dry your shoes fully at night. Make sure you remove your insoles every night and stuff your shoes with paper, replacing the paper a few times until you go to bed. Loosen the laces so as much air, heat etc can get into the shoe.

Always carry some food eg biscuits and some bread and of course chocolate as a pick me up when the going get tough. I always carry a cereal bowl. I have cereal (Special K with fruit .... nothing else is available without chocolate on the Camino) ... this may not work if your are lactose intollorant .... could eat porridge or lentil soup instead .... both are great for slow release energy.

C

I am no expert on gloves but I hat walking with cold hands. I would also bring a running / cycling sweat band as they are great for keeping the wind off your forehead and ears (possibly more of an issue for blokes.

Buen Camino Morenz. You have been so open to listening and learning and enthusiastically putting it into action. Well done.
Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am appreciating this thread. I am in countdown as well...weighed just toiletries last night and almost died on the spot. Things
I really wanted to take got ditched in a flash. Acceptable choices replace preferred.

I don't "get" where all your weight comes from, nor do I know how mine adds up so quickly. I will be very interested to hear your changes because I am pretty sure I will be in the same place in a few days once I weigh it all together.
I thought of one thing others on the forum have suggested - cut all the tags out of your clothes, pack, sacks, etc. Believe it or not they do weigh a bit! Also something I have decided to do is take solid shampoo, conditioner, and body/clothes soap. I have a"sandwich size" Ziploc bag to hold them. This eliminates the weight of plastic containers that really can add up. I bought a special case for my prescription sun glasses that is very light weight too, my regular case is very heavy.
Hope some of this helps.
Stefania

I would definitely take the lighter pack. Even that one is large and heavy.
If I were you I would try to get down to about six kilo, including the pack. Or even less.

Just a thought re the recommended 10% of body weight when packing a back pack: I'm 165 cms and 54 kgs. At 10% this means I would pack 5.4 kgs. Wow! That's not so easy even with regular checks. I realize that 10% is a guideline and the lighter the pack the better, however am up to 6.5kgs with 600mL of water and some snacks. No sleeping bag, relying on blankets and thermal wear -every piece of clothing if need be!! I figure I can layer by day and layer by night, but can't wear a sleeping bag by day. [April-June]. Walking poles are a must for me but I haven't added in the weight of these as I figure that I'll be using them the vast majority of the time.
2 recommendations I have found on this forum have helped me a lot. One: wear that pack on a 15=20 km walk and/or up and down hills for at least 3 hours for a few days and see how it feels. Two: Spread a sheet on the floor, unpack everything and place items into categories [stuff, medical, wet weather gear, underwear etc.] place aside anything that appears to be redundant, weigh it and sure enough, you'll want to remove it. Think carefully about the extra item. What purposes does it have? What will you take out? Best wishes to everyone going through this process. I know it's not easy, especially for the first timer. I'm at the point where I just want to start the journey on the Camino; leaving aside the poncho versus raincoat, sleeping bag versus silk liner, boots versus walking shoes, 5.4 kg versus 6.5 etc... I tell my husband that I will just have to walk it again to take advantage of the knowledge that I gain on the road.

The only way you know where all your weight come from is to weight each and every item, before it goes in the backpack. Even check weigh your pack - the manufactures often put lighter weights on the labels to induce you to buy. "How do you weigh everything"? Well a good set of kitchen scales will do, especially those that will read out in grams (or ounces for those from USA). I would even be weighing my boots - there was a formula out some years ago about 1 kg on your feet equaling 5 kg on your back - so lighter boots/shoes are recommended, but make sure that they still provide sufficient cushioning for your feet (add extra padding if walking trials produce pain/blisters).
The check packing lists are great and the suggestions about re-assessing after 7 days is also important. If you have not warn it during the first week, or did not use it then out is goes, or home it goes.
Buen Camino:confused:

My male friend takes a 35L pack and it is HUGE!
I take a 30L and find it fine.

A 60L sounds like way overkill to me… kowabungA!

Hi Morenz, after plowing through all the advice you received, I'd be interested to hear what you ended up with, weight wise ??
Buen Camino !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

There is only one way to purchase a backpack: get properly fitted by a professional. The make and model that fits your friend my cause you back pain and visa versa. Your pack and your boots are the two pieces of equipment that you absolutely have to get right before you go.

So, Moranz, did you make it?

I was overwhelmed with the advice gushing from this forum. But, let's face it, it was an Emergency!!! You were leaving in 2 days!!!

It took me 2 days to read all the advice given but I agreed with just about everything I read. I thought your pack was too heavy, you needed a sleeping bag, you were taking too many clothing items (jeans?? no way).

I understood the dilemma of leaving an old faithful pack for a lighter, younger version. LOL, one time a "trophy pack" would be the only reasonable choice.

I had a backpack weighing 6 kg and is still in it were things that I never used. I did not miss enithing!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Having read the previous replies, I'm so glad I'm a bloke, as we're all born naturally beautiful, and need no make-up etc. :)
And being very ancient and bald, I don't need shampoo or even a comb!
[I won't mention birth control pills .......;)]
:p hahaha funny man Stephen.
I'm sure at the end of my Camino, I'll be feral as and my afro in need of some taming!

Hi Moran,

this is a great post, so I couldn't help but say a couple of words. I did the camino 2 years ago ( may - june ). My pack weighed 14lbs / 6 kgs when all was said and done and even at that, i had things i could do without. I can't help but echo the comments before me, and say that you have too many clothes and toiletries. However this is your camino and you are the only person who can predict what you need to feel secure and comfortable on your journey. Many people overpack and then downsize as they go by sending a parcel to Santiago after only a couple of days of walking, or leaving things to charity, there is no harm is letting a bit go as go along as yes your feet will thank you in the end.

With regards to clothing, even with my pack weighing 6kgs, I managed to carry a lightweight sleeping bag, rain gear, a light weight headlamp. I had one pair of convertible pants ( shorts and pants in one), a pair of shorts, a pair of tights, a couple of shirts ( one long, one short sleeve ) a merino wool outwear jacket, and i even threw in a cute lightweight skirt, sleeveless top and scarf, and a small tube of lipgloss for the days when i wanted to feel "girly" after my shower.

I wore the same clothes everyday to hike in - showered and changed at the Albergue and then rinsed out my clothes. I slept in my tights and my clean long sleeve shirt every night. My clothes were dry every morning, I didn't smell and yes in all my pictures i was wearing the same thing, but I had the most amazing smile on my face in every picture.

Please do not worry, you don't need to carry this stress on your journey, once you start you will have clarity as to what you really need.

I am now getting excited and counting down days, as I leave for my second camino on may 1st. I have the month of may off and this time we are doing the camino portuguese. Buen Camino Moran ! This will be a journey of your lifetime...

Hi Moran,

this is a great post, so I couldn't help but say a couple of words. I did the camino 2 years ago ( may - june ). My pack weighed 14lbs / 6 kgs when all was said and done and even at that, i had things i could do without. I can't help but echo the comments before me, and say that you have too many clothes and toiletries. However this is your camino and you are the only person who can predict what you need to feel secure and comfortable on your journey. Many people overpack and then downsize as they go by sending a parcel to Santiago after only a couple of days of walking, or leaving things to charity, there is no harm is letting a bit go as go along as yes your feet will thank you in the end.

With regards to clothing, even with my pack weighing 6kgs, I managed to carry a lightweight sleeping bag, rain gear, a light weight headlamp. I had one pair of convertible pants ( shorts and pants in one), a pair of shorts, a pair of tights, a couple of shirts ( one long, one short sleeve ) a merino wool outwear jacket, and i even threw in a cute lightweight skirt, sleeveless top and scarf, and a small tube of lipgloss for the days when i wanted to feel "girly" after my shower.

I wore the same clothes everyday to hike in - showered and changed at the Albergue and then rinsed out my clothes. I slept in my tights and my clean long sleeve shirt every night. My clothes were dry every morning, I didn't smell and yes in all my pictures i was wearing the same thing, but I had the most amazing smile on my face in every picture.

Please do not worry, you don't need to carry this stress on your journey, once you start you will have clarity as to what you really need.

I am now getting excited and counting down days, as I leave for my second camino on may 1st. I have the month of may off and this time we are doing the camino portuguese. Buen Camino Moran ! This will be a journey of your lifetime...

Hi Taululabelle. Did you wear your walking shoes all the time? I notice you don't list sandals or another pair of shoes for the evening. Also, exactly what did you have packed that you didn't use? What else, besides the things you listed, did you have in your pack? Socks? Underwear? Towel, First aid stuff etc? Did you count water and food, in that 6 kg? Re clothes always drying overnight, how did you manage that? I read often that drying things overnight can be a problem.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Taululabelle. Did you wear your walking shoes all the time? I notice you don't list sandals or another pair of shoes for the evening. Also, exactly what did you have packed that you didn't use? What else, besides the things you listed, did you have in your pack? Socks? Underwear? Towel, First aid stuff etc? Did you count water and food, in that 6 kg? Re clothes always drying overnight, how did you manage that? I read often that drying things overnight can be a problem.

Hi Avenlite,
I wore hiking boots as I need ankle support, so walking shoes were not my best option. I had a pair of very light sandals that i would wear for the rest of the time, ( even in the shower - so no need for extra flip flops ). I had 2 paris of good light hiking socks merino wool, and 3 pairs of underwear, one bra, and a lightweight hiking wicking towel. I also had a merino wool beanie for cold mornings and a neck buff, so i could wear it as a neck warmer, a headband or anything i wanted or needed. I am a huge fan of lightweight merino wool, for many reasons, one its warm when you need it to be and it also keeps you cool when needed (odd as thay may sound - its true ) the other benefit is, that it doesn't collect odours like synthetic materials. So i would go for days without rinsing my shirt, and i never smelled ( trust me, I am self-conscious about body odour, especially when you are sharing space with so many people ) I had minimal first aid, as there are pharmacies in every-little town and they are most helpful and will give you anything you need. They have even have better blister care products than i have seen anywhere else, so please be reassured they cater to the pilgrims. I always food for the day and a litres of water a day. ( this is also a very personal thing in how you carry it ) I vasalated on this for a while before, what do i bring ? a small bottle and refill, 2 bottles, a bladder bag.... We brought a bladder bag as that as what we were used to as we hike a lot.... this is purely your preference, its really about your likes regarding accessible drinking water. to make sure my clothes were dry, i made this my priority at the albergues, i guess i was lucky that i had decent weather in may, but most of things were light weight so they dried quickly. ( jeans and cotton take a while to dry, and I did't wash if it didn't need it....

with regards to food, there is food all along the way, however we always had some chocolate, nuts, left over bread and cheese or something in our bag to keep us well fed. Hard boiled eggs were also a great source of protein and were easy to keep. always take advantage of stopping in these little towns. Firstly some of the owners feel they are blessed by pilgrims stopping in their shops, many of these places would not exist without the pilgrim traffic, its wonderful to sit and rest and take in the village and have a snack, and its good to rest your feet and take proper breaks..... its not a race, its a personal journey. You will be quickly surprised at what you actually need, vs what you think you want.

Oh and yes that weight was including my water and food... remember you are always wearing one set of clothing, make that your heaviest... the rest should be light, you can always layer up and layer down....

I hope this helps,
Tracey

Hi Avenlite,
I wore hiking boots as I need ankle support, so walking shoes were not my best option. I had a pair of very light sandals that i would wear for the rest of the time, ( even in the shower - so no need for extra flip flops ). I had 2 paris of good light hiking socks merino wool, and 3 pairs of underwear, one bra, and a lightweight hiking wicking towel. I also had a merino wool beanie for cold mornings and a neck buff, so i could wear it as a neck warmer, a headband or anything i wanted or needed. I am a huge fan of lightweight merino wool, for many reasons, one its warm when you need it to be and it also keeps you cool when needed (odd as thay may sound - its true ) the other benefit is, that it doesn't collect odours like synthetic materials. So i would go for days without rinsing my shirt, and i never smelled ( trust me, I am self-conscious about body odour, especially when you are sharing space with so many people ) I had minimal first aid, as there are pharmacies in every-little town and they are most helpful and will give you anything you need. They have even have better blister care products than i have seen anywhere else, so please be reassured they cater to the pilgrims. I always food for the day and a litres of water a day. ( this is also a very personal thing in how you carry it ) I vasalated on this for a while before, what do i bring ? a small bottle and refill, 2 bottles, a bladder bag.... We brought a bladder bag as that as what we were used to as we hike a lot.... this is purely your preference, its really about your likes regarding accessible drinking water. to make sure my clothes were dry, i made this my priority at the albergues, i guess i was lucky that i had decent weather in may, but most of things were light weight so they dried quickly. ( jeans and cotton take a while to dry, and I did't wash if it didn't need it....

with regards to food, there is food all along the way, however we always had some chocolate, nuts, left over bread and cheese or something in our bag to keep us well fed. Hard boiled eggs were also a great source of protein and were easy to keep. always take advantage of stopping in these little towns. Firstly some of the owners feel they are blessed by pilgrims stopping in their shops, many of these places would not exist without the pilgrim traffic, its wonderful to sit and rest and take in the village and have a snack, and its good to rest your feet and take proper breaks..... its not a race, its a personal journey. You will be quickly surprised at what you actually need, vs what you think you want.

Oh and yes that weight was including my water and food... remember you are always wearing one set of clothing, make that your heaviest... the rest should be light, you can always layer up and layer down....

I hope this helps,
Tracey

Hi Tracey. Thanks so much for your prompt and comprehensive reply. I really appreciate your comments and suggestions. Best wishes for your future travels. Regards, Shirley

I think Moran showed amazing flexibility and openness in adapting quickly to so many great, and at times contradictory (imagine that), suggestions. It took me 2 weeks of planning to get below 4kg (w pack, w/o water/food), but I had a back up plan that those with last minute changes to plans/packing lists might want to consider. Also the weather report the weeks prior to my departure were warm/hot and sunny, despite it being early spring. 48 hours before my flight they started predicting record snows. What to do?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the efficiency and reliability of the Spanish post office. I have a hard-to-find shoe size, and worried I might need a new pair of boots at the 500 mile point. But to hold to 10% (which I think is a good suggestion), I needed to hold to 5kg all together with food/water--no second pair of boots (unless I gave up my beloved electronics. and that wasn't happening). I initially chose running shoes over flip flops as my 'night' footwear, in case it turned too hot in the daytime to wear my gortex boots. So I mailed the second pair of boots, and the flip flops, to Pamplona, a few days away from SJPdP , with some time to think about it.

In Pamplona I still wasn't sure I'd need a second pair of boots, but decided I could do without the running shoes (considering they were predicting weeks of snow and rain)--in exchange for a newly bought hair dryer (for my SOCKS). Mailed running shoes and boots to Zarautz, kept the flip flops. A few more days to decide if I'd need new boots, and to choose between hair dryer and running shoes.

By Zarautz, I was certain I was keeping the dryer and flip flops, and wouldn't need new boots or my running shoes (at least not until my Caminos post Santiago) ---and sent them to storage in Santiago.

Yeah yeah, I know some are saying I was mailing my fears, but I think it made more sense to have things I knew fit me available until I knew what worked, rather than make a hasty decision now and then a make-do solution later. Everyone had given me conflicting advice re boots vs running shoes for day, and running vs flip flop for night, and no one could predict how long my boots would last. It wasn't clear if I'd be walking in scorching heat or knee deep snow. So I decided I'd rely on my judgment once I had a few wks experience and a more accurate weather report.

There's an alternative for Pilgrims agonizing over a favorite book or fuzzy slippers--besides sadly slashing them from their pack list, or carrying them in painful penance for over-packing until they admit their sins. They instead could have them waiting a week or two ahead---if you missed them, they'd be there, like a mini-reward, and if not---on to storage. I enjoyed my Correos visits--mail post cards, buy stamps and phone minutes, check lista for mail, see if I could figure out which ticket went to which service, practice rolling my R's....ah, happy memories.

I see that you have rosacea. I've just been diagnosed and was planning a Summer Camino in 2016. What tips do you have to prevent a flare considering the heat? Should I not even consider going at that time of year?

The list:

Clothes and footwear:
2 thermal undershirts
1 thermal pants
1 altus poncho
4 pairs of underwear
2 pairs of thermal socks
1 warm beanie
1 neck warmer
1 sports bra
1 regular bra
1 hiking boots

Medications:
Thermometer
Birth control pills
A pack of pain killers
Lactose intolerant pills
Band aids
Iodine
Bengay
Eye drops
Anti diarrhea pills
Compeed
Sore throat tablets

Small bottle of shampoo
Hard soap
Facial soap
Tooth paste
Tooth brush
Deodorant
Moisturizer
SPF 50 cream
Small hairbrush

Makeup and the likes:
Mascara
Eyeliner
Lipgloss
Twisers
Small scissors
Shaving razor

Stuff:
Spork
Flashlight
Small wallet for coins
Pen
Travel guide
Pocketbook
One reading book
Laundry soap
One quick dry towel
Glasses
Earplugs

1 thermal undershirt
1 hiking boots
1 thermal socks
1 beanie
1 neck warmer
1 pair of gloves

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.