• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute packing struggles

anotherwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting my first camino!
Dear camino loving people,

I'll be leaving for my first camino this thursday (camino Frances). I got almost everything prepared, but I'm struggeling a bit on what to bring for warmth and rainprotection. I will probably be walking until the half, or maybe even the end of october, since I plan to take it very easy for health reasons.

I know that on a summer camino you don't need much, and the weather is really warm right now! But what I can't find out is what I will need later on, when I'm still walking in september and october. I prefer not to buy stuff that I already have at home.

Since I don't have a light sleeping bag, I thought of bringing a light fleece blanket (320 g) in addition to my silk sleeping bag liner. Would it be necessary to bring a merino legging (140 g) and a woolen longsleeve (232 g) in addition to this? I heard the nights can be cold, but will it also be cold inside the albergues?

Another thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is if I will need rain pants (257 g) in addition to my poncho (340 g). In the warm weeks I don't mind walking in my shorts and getting my legs wet, but will I be able to do this in october as well? Or will it be too cold to walk in shorts in the rain by then?

I hope someone can help me out a bit. If I bring all of these options, my pack will weigh around 7.5 kg (no water or food). I have test-walked with 8 kg on my back and it felt fine, but of course I don't know how it's going to feel after weeks of carrying it ;)

Thanks so much in advance!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As you are leaving in two days, not sure there is time to buy / test anything for rain. I plan on using a rain poncho that will cover both me and the pack. Light weight and I hope it holds up well if I need it to.

Dear camino loving people,

I'll be leaving for my first camino this thursday (camino Frances). I got almost everything prepared, but I'm struggeling a bit on what to bring for warmth and rainprotection. I will probably be walking until the half, or maybe even the end of october, since I plan to take it very easy for health reasons.

I know that on a summer camino you don't need much, and the weather is really warm right now! But what I can't find out is what I will need later on, when I'm still walking in september and october. I prefer not to buy stuff that I already have at home.

Since I don't have a light sleeping bag, I thought of bringing a light fleece blanket (320 g) in addition to my silk sleeping bag liner. Would it be necessary to bring a merino legging (140 g) and a woolen longsleeve (232 g) in addition to this? I heard the nights can be cold, but will it also be cold inside the albergues?

Another thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is if I will need rain pants (257 g) in addition to my poncho (340 g). In the warm weeks I don't mind walking in my shorts and getting my legs wet, but will I be able to do this in october as well? Or will it be too cold to walk in shorts in the rain by then?

I hope someone can help me out a bit. If I bring all of these options, my pack will weigh around 7.5 kg (no water or food). I have test-walked with 8 kg on my back and it felt fine, but of course I don't know how it's going to feel after weeks of carrying it ;)

Thanks so much in advance!

Even if you have it at home - Is it worth carrying it for weeks just to save the money to buy it on route? If you post your full packing list FSO (from skin out, meaning absolutely all what plan to take!) it will be easier to help you. Fleece blanket plus silk liner (~140g) = ~500g sounds good to me. I would bring the leggings from the beginning and buy a long sleeve shirt as needed. But again, to really help, we need to see your full packing list. And yes, I would take the rain paints ...

Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bring it all. Last thing you want is sleepless nights because you are cold, or caught a cold in the rain. If your total is still only 7.5kg with those added comforts, bring it all!

Bring it all. Last thing you want is sleepless nights because you are cold, or caught a cold in the rain. If your total is still only 7.5kg with those added comforts, bring it all!

Thanks for the quick responses!

As you are leaving in two days, not sure there is time to buy / test anything for rain. I plan on using a rain poncho that will cover both me and the pack. Light weight and I hope it holds up well if I need it to.

I actually walked with a poncho (not mine, but my father's) in the rain this week. Pants, even though rolled up to above the knees got completely soaked. That's why I thought the rainpants might be a good idea!

@SYates, I can type the packing list here! Just have to translate ;)

@Anemone del Camino, thanks! I got a little bit stressed by all the super light weight travelers, since I'm probably not the strongest. But I would think 7 or 8 kgs is not so bad! It doesn't include water though..

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Shorts 176
Long pants (quick dry) 264
Merino short sleeve shirt 1 100
Merino short sleeve shirt 2 133
Merino leggings 140
Bra 55
Fleece vest 330
Socks merino 1 33
Socks merino 2 33
Underwear 1 22
Underwear 2 22
Bikini 93 (not sure, but could double as bra while washing, and extra underwear)
Scarf woolen 232
Nightdress 103 (to be a bit more covered up than while sleeping in a t-shirt)
Merino dress 133 (this is pure luxury, I admit)
Poncho 340
Sunglasses 46
Teva sandals 295 (for wearing after walking and in the shower)
Hat 43
Woolen longsleeve 232
Rainpants 257
Towel 67

Toiletries 729 total
- Toothbrush
- Toothpaste
- Shampoo
- Showergel (might leave this at home and take the soap instead)
- Soap
- Deodorant
- Razor
- Earplugs
- Floss
- Toothpicks (I need both because I have sensitive teeth)
- Eyemask for sleeping
- Muti purpose cream
- Hairbrush mini
- Hairbands
- Mentrual cup (not sure if I'll use this, or tampons and pads)

Medicine 178 grams

First aid 258
- Bandaids
- Compeed
- Sunscreen
- Painkillers (4 paracet, 6 ibuprofen)
- ORS (I dehydrate quickly)
- Tick removing thing
- Tape for blisters
- Safetypins
- Needle and thread
- Sterilon desinfectant
- Tissues, small packet

Documents and pilgrims passport 185

Others 745
Clothesline +pins
Diary + pencil
Spork
Food container (I have some intolerances, to I thought it might be handy to bring something to bring food in)
Scrubba
Glasses case 1
Glasses case 2 (one for my sunglasses and one for my regular glasses, both lightweight cases)
Cotton grocery bag (also for at the airport)
Umbrella (I use this a lot against the sun)

Sleeping
Silk liner 166
Bed bug sheet 74
Fleece blanket 320

Electronics 550
Compact camera (my phone has storage- and battery issues)
Charger camera
Phone
Cable for phone
Mp3 player
Cable mp3 speler
USB charger (for phone and mp3 player)
I wanted to bring my sports watch, but I'm a bit afraid it might get stolen. My phone and camera are very old, so I'm not so worried about those.

Together with my backpack (1700 g - but very comfortable) this adds up to 7602 grams. This excludes one shift of clothes I'll be wearing (underwear, one short sleeve shirt, long pants, shoes and socks)

I am secretly thinking about bringing my ukulele, since it brings me so much joy, but I might choose to keep the weight down as much as possible. It weighs 500 g, including the cover.

Ok, so we are speaking about walking the CF in August/September, my comments in italics on some items:

Merino short sleeve shirt 1 100, Merino short sleeve shirt 2 133 - Just take 2 in total
Bra 55 - make that two, unless you are an A/B size ;-)
Fleece vest 330 - perhaps ...
Socks merino 1 33, Socks merino 2 33 - two, but consider bringing also some thin/liner socks
Underwear 1 22, Underwear 2 22 - two
Bikini 93 (not sure, but could double as bra while washing, and extra underwear) -leave at home
Scarf woolen 232 - too heavy
Nightdress 103 (to be a bit more covered up than while sleeping in a t-shirt) - leave at home, just sleep in what you will wear the next day
Merino dress 133 (this is pure luxury, I admit) - leave at home
Teva sandals 295 (for wearing after walking and in the shower) -please. don't wear them in the shower
Woolen longsleeve 232 -What are they? Top or bottoms?

- Shampoo - for all, leave the rest (soap etc) at home
- Deodorant - leave at home, if you don't believe me, have a look at the first albergues on the Camino, among the first items to be ditched ;-)
- Razor - leave at home, nobody cares
- Mentrual cup (not sure if I'll use this, or tampons and pads) - Perhaps
- Compeed - Do you know how to use it correctly? If not it can do more damage/harm than you can imagine ...
- ORS (I dehydrate quickly) - What is that?
- Tick removing thing - Never had a tick on the CF, leave at home
- Tape for blisters - better tape them before they become blisters!
- Needle and thread - Please tell me that is not to treat blisters!!! PLEASE!!!
Clothesline +pins - Leave at home
Spork - Perhaps
Food container (I have some intolerances, to I thought it might be handy to bring something to bring food in) - Yes, but make it a light one
Scrubba - Leave at home, yes, seriously!
Mp3 player - leave at home, listen to the birds instead and be aware of approaching bikes/cars - safer
Cable mp3 speler - leave at home

This excludes one shift of clothes I'll be wearing (underwear, one short sleeve shirt, long pants, shoes and socks) - Sigh, revising FSO lists is so much easier, in summer you only need two outfits, one to wear, one to wash and dry

I am secretly thinking about bringing my ukulele, since it brings me so much joy, but I might choose to keep the weight down as much as possible. It weighs 500 g, including the cover.

ABSOLUTELY BRING THE UKELE!

Buen Camino, SY

Forgot to add - If you bring the Ukele, bring also the lyrics - Pilgrims love to sing, but we don't always remember the words ;-) SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you so much! I have to go to bed now, so i will reply to you in the morning! I will be walking in september/october though, not august! I'll spend a couple of days in Bilbao with a friend before i start walking.

I strongly agree, bring the Ukulele. So many pilgrims are not plugged into music and will be missing hearing music. It will be wonderful to play it and have people enjoy. And, it will be good for you.

With regard to measuring out each item and worrying about exceeding your 10% body weight, do the best you can. Don't do ridiculous things like cutting your toothbrush in half or ripping pages from your guidebook to subtract carrying weight. The brushing of the teeth with a full handled brush was one of my daily joys. The guidebook served as the guidebook for my memory upon my return. I bought 1 lb chocolate bars and chunks of cheese repeatedly and did not notice their weight, and loved bringing them out at the end of the day to share with new friends over a couple bottles of wine. You will become stronger than you thought and an extra pound or two will not matter or be noticed after the first several days.

You can always get rid of clothes you do not use and can always rely on others for bandaids and tape you do not have. The albergues tend to be hot at night, rather than cold. But, the mornings on the trail can surprise you with being uncomfortably brisk. But, if you keep moving and convince yourself that you will not freeze to death, you will make it to the next cafe con leche and will be fine. Enjoy!

Dear @SYates, thanks for the comprehensive respond! I now feel much better about leaving some of the stuff at home :)

Fleece vest is a fleece jacket (English is not my main language).

Of short sleeved shirts, underwear and socks I'm bringing two pairs indeed (wearing one, one in the backpack).

Why would you not wear the teva's in the shower? I thought that would be a good way to use something in multiple ways. They have plastic soles ofcourse.

The woolen longsleeve is a shirt, since I already have a legging. This is also merino.

Good idea to use the shampoo for all, hadn't thought about that!

ORS is a rehydration salt, personal choice. I'm gonna bring it, but when I've used it, I won't be carrying it around anymore of course.

I know that everybody else probably has bandaids and compeed as well, but for me it feels a little bit opportunistic to let other people carry that for me. A couple of each don't weigh that much.

Needle and thread is just for small repairments on clothing and such :)

And I made a little mistake, this list does include the stuff I'll be wearing (except my shoes)! So the list is FSO. There will be no more clothes than this. Sorry about that.. I guess I was a little tired when I wrote this down. I meant that this isn't in the 7,6 kg, but it is in the list.

Nice to hear you are so enthousiastic about the ukulele :)

You wrote not to bring the scrubba and the clothesline, do albergues always have opportunities to wash and dry clothes? Thought it might be a good idea to be a little self-sufficient in this.

I'm definitely gonna take your advice and leave some stuff at home! Thanks!

@Mooncat: thanks for your opinion as well! Very appreciated. Good to know the albergues are more hot than cold. It's mostly the sleeping I'm worried about, since my experience is that I warm up quite quickly when I start walking. Nice to hear another person enthousiastic about the ukulele :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You are very welcome, some last (perhaps ;-) remarks:

Why would you not wear the teva's in the shower? - Because I wouldn't wear any shoes in the shower ;-)

ORS is a rehydration salt, personal choice. - then bring it, if you need more the local pharmacias sell it

I know that everybody else probably has bandaids and compeed as well, but for me it feels a little bit opportunistic to let other people carry that for me. A couple of each don't weigh that much. - Absolutely agree!

Needle and thread is just for small repairments on clothing and such :) - Glad to hear!

You wrote not to bring the scrubba and the clothesline, do albergues always have opportunities to wash and dry clothes? Yes, every albergue has a dedicated place to wash and dry clothes by hand and many have even a coin operated washing machine/dryer, if you share the load with other pilgrims, so much the better

Buen Camino, SY

Thanks!

I saw many people wearing some sandals or slippers in the shower, so I thought it might be a good idea.

Guess I'll figure out a lot of stuff on the way :)

The nerves are setting in, ready for adventure!

You can always test your rain gear in the shower! Cold water will soon simulate wintry weather :p

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Rick! I just bought me a merino buff on sale (48 g), so I can use it instead of a sleeping mask (didn't have one yet), and instead of my beloved but way too heavy woolen scarf ;)

I'm down to 6,8 kg now, still working on it!

1700g backpack can be changed for a 500g , maybe too late but 1.2kg is nice savings

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
1700g backpack can be changed for a 500g , maybe too late but 1.2kg is nice savings

That would have been great, but I couldn't find anything lighter that would fit me (believe me, I tried them aaaallll). I'm 1.62 m with narrow shoulders, so I ended up buying a backpack with an adjustable back length that fits me comfortably. It has very good weight distribution though, so I am absolutely happy with it :) And it is already an upgrade from my 2.75 kg backpack, which I use when I go hiking with a tent etc.

Zpacks makes the backpacks to fit ( custom ) at no extra charge. the Zero Backpacks at $95 look enticing for less than 100g. Why do we need a made for the jungle backpack? ;--) I do agree on the fit being the most important, have fun and buen camino...

Dear @SYates, thanks for the comprehensive respond! I now feel much better about leaving some of the stuff at home :)

I know that everybody else probably has bandaids and compeed as well, but for me it feels a little bit opportunistic to let other people carry that for me. A couple of each don't weigh that much.

Anotherwalker, I agree that it is better to take your own tape and bandaids. That was a bad example for me to use, since they are very personal and weigh nothing. So, let's substitute a pocket knife instead. I didn't carry one, but others had them readily available. I also took a small pack of dry, biodegradable laundry detergent for my daily washing. I preferred to use it and it weighed only and ounce or two. I was never cold in any albergue and often slept in my silk liner on top of my sleeping bag. There are blankets available in most albergues too. But, I failed to take a knit cap and suffered on some mornings. I took sunglasses but only used them on two days, since they fogged up from me being so steamy. Anyway, you aren't walking towards the sun. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for all your thoughtful replies!

I managed to get my pack down to 6,7 kg. Am gonna put everything I need in there now and take the train to the airport!

I can write a review on my packing list when I'm on the trail, or back home, so others can learn from it as well!

Zpacks makes the backpacks to fit ( custom ) at no extra charge. the Zero Backpacks at $95 look enticing for less than 100g. Why do we need a made for the jungle backpack? ;--) I do agree on the fit being the most important, have fun and buen camino...

Sounds awesome!

You have to bring your ukulele, it will bring so much joy to many on your Camino. If our paths cross I will even carry it part of of the way for you. That's coming from someone who can't play any instrument and the only I time I sing well is in the shower. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My story re clothesline and headlamp--I allowed myself to be talked out of taking these two items, much to my regret. Sometimes the need for specific items is not "one size fits all".

The clothesline was definitely not needed in albergues, but I stayed mostly in small hotels and Casa rurals, where lines were not provided so my lightweight travel line would have been very handy.

I had a flashlight on my phone which was handy for going to the bathroom at night and for checking around and under my bunk (albergues nights) when leaving in the morning. However by mid October, darkness forced me to wait until after 8 am (I prefer leaving about 7:15 am) or leave with someone with a headlamp (and try to keep up with them).

The clothesline I may or may not take next time. The headlamp I will not be without again.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.