• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last Minute Phone Plan Switch

D

Deleted member 67185

It was kind of a weird cell phone week.

Jill and I decided that we wanted to switch to T-Mobile for the Military Magenta Plus plan (Veteran). $35.00 per line (fees and taxes included) for unlimited talk and text in the US. And unlimited data in Spain, with talk at 5 cents/minute. And outside of Spain, it is unlimited talk and text in all of the other European countries we will be visiting. Kinda weird about Spain vs the rest of Europe, but I confirmed it.

So far, service with cell and data is no different at all from our Verizon plan.

The weird or inconvenient thing was that my iPhone SE, my faithful companion, decide it was too pooped to function for more than three hours at a time before needing a charge. For over a month, I noticed that the standby time was shortening, and that active use really drained the battery.

I thought about trying to replace the battery, but other factors with its age made me look at upgrading the phone itself. So I ended up with a new iPhone 11 (non-pro) as part of the deal with T-Mobile when switching plans.

Compared to my SE, it is big, bulky, and a bit heavier. But it makes data-intense app use easier to see, and I do like the face recognition. I do not like the deletion of the Belly Button, though :) The 'swiping' learning curve takes a bit of getting used to.

So here's hoping that, between a new phone and a new plan provider, weird stuff doesn't happen after we head out on Tuesday for Camino Ingles :).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This gal hates new things that require any learning curve! I think that means I am getting old. I have a 6 year old Android Samsung Note3, and dread the day it gives up the ghost. I dropped it in a lake in 6' of water this past summer. It thankfully came back to life in 3 days, like our Lord, but my phone was laying in a tomb of rice.😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It was kind of a weird cell phone week.

Jill and I decided that we wanted to switch to T-Mobile for the Military Magenta Plus plan (Veteran). $35.00 per line (fees and taxes included) for unlimited talk and text in the US. And unlimited data in Spain, with talk at 5 cents/minute. And outside of Spain, it is unlimited talk and text in all of the other European countries we will be visiting. Kinda weird about Spain vs the rest of Europe, but I confirmed it.

So far, service with cell and data is no different at all from our Verizon plan.

The weird or inconvenient thing was that my iPhone SE, my faithful companion, decide it was too pooped to function for more than three hours at a time before needing a charge. For over a month, I noticed that the standby time was shortening, and that active use really drained the battery.

I thought about trying to replace the battery, but other factors with its age made me look at upgrading the phone itself. So I ended up with a new iPhone 11 (non-pro) as part of the deal with T-Mobile when switching plans.

Compared to my SE, it is big, bulky, and a bit heavier. But it makes data-intense app use easier to see, and I do like the face recognition. I do not like the deletion of the Belly Button, though :) The 'swiping' learning curve takes a bit of getting used to.

So here's hoping that, between a new phone and a new plan provider, weird stuff doesn't happen after we head out on Tuesday for Camino Ingles :).
I had an SE also that was about to drop dead. Last week I got an iPhone 7. I have a Wattsapp group chat with my daughters and they told me I can only buy a 7. (They said for my purposes an 8 would be a waste of money) because there is no longer the Home button (belly button:)) and it would take me years to figure out how to use a new phone.Of course they also included many comments about my technological disability that they found to be very funny.

HI Dave, I'm so glad to hear that you're heading out again and that you dipped into your "emergency Camino kit". I trust that you and Jill will have a fantastic time! Enjoy your walk and the weather. It may be warmer than our unseasonably cold West Coast fall....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As soon as I arrived in Logrono last month, I bought a 5 Euro LLAMAYA sim card that gave me everything I needed for a three week walk. Satisfied customer.

That's terrific :) 👍👍👍

I wasn't looking for an inexpensive method of phone use in Spain and the rest of Europe, it just happened to be part of the phone plan that we signed up for. T-Mobile is far less costly per line than Verizon is with the Military/Veterans plan which was the motivation to switch. :)

On previous Caminos, I used my iPhone SE (RIP trusty friend) and wifi for free communication, so I never bothered with a SIM card. But anyone who does not have an international cell phone plan, and who wanted to use their phone for un-tethered talking and texting, should definitely look at getting an in-Euro SIM card like you did.

HI Dave, I'm so glad to hear that you're heading out again and that you dipped into your "emergency Camino kit". I trust that you and Jill will have a fantastic time! Enjoy your walk and the weather. It may be warmer than our unseasonably cold West Coast fall....

Thank you for those thoughts, Andrea. It will be good to be on Camino again. And being with Jill adds a wonderful new dimension for sure :)

To tell the truth, I AM anxious about how I will do with the walking, even though the distances on each day are not long and my backpack is light. That illness and surgeries has me not as fit as I was last year, 30 pounds heavier, and cranky. Well, not so much CRANKY as cranky.

I think a Camino will do wonders for the spirit and Spirit. :)

Thank you for those thoughts, Andrea. It will be good to be on Camino again. And being with Jill adds a wonderful new dimension for sure :)

To tell the truth, I AM anxious about how I will do with the walking, even though the distances on each day are not long and my backpack is light. That illness and surgeries has me not as fit as I was last year, 30 pounds heavier, and cranky. Well, not so much CRANKY as cranky.

I think a Camino will do wonders for the spirit and Spirit. :)
I will count you in when I light my candle in the mornings. Be Kind to yourself. Buen camino to both.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.