• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Last minute Q's, flying out in 3 days!

Andopando

Andy
Time of past OR future Camino
The French Way, May 2020
Hey guys I'm flying from Australia in a few days and planning to walk from SJPDP. Travelling alone and never travelled before. I haven't got ANYTHING booked yet. Just my flight. I land in tthe morning; 7am.

Do I have to book the train from Paris to SJPDP? Can I just buy the ticket at the station?

Do I have to book my first night in Paris SJPDP? Can I just wonder into a hotel and pay for a night? Will France even let me into the country without a booking?

Bonus question: for Australian travelers - Is a supervised and certified RAT test mandatory at Sydney airport before departure?

Thanks and forgive my ignorance

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mate! You're somewhat late with your questions!
What's your budget for a night in Paris?
Book your train ticket, Paris Montparnasse station to Bayonne. Try also to SJPDP to get the whole trip on one ticket. Get the ticket so it's available on your mobile phone.
Best to get an early train, between 7am And 10am from Gare Montparnasse. Takes approx 4hrs to Bayonne and you want to arrive there to catch the train to SJPdP as services drop off as the afternoon progresses.
Too late arriving and there's only the expensive taxi to get to St Jean!
Try booking Paris Montparnasse to SJPdP to get both journeys on one booking.

If you don't organise a bed in SJPDP before arriving, head for the pilgrim's office first thing. They will help get you sorted as well as giving the best advice as to weather etc.
As far as a bed in Paris goes, look for something suitable close to Gare Montparnasse station due to your maybe looking at an early start.
Good traveling and Buen Camino pilgrim,
Regards,
 Gerard

Last edited:
Yes - try to book your train to Bayonne now! Hopefully they still have tickets. I know some May dates were filled up. Bayonne to SJPDP you can book at the station. If you can't get train tickets - you might be able to get plane tickets to Biarritz - then a short bus ride to Bayonne to catch the train to SJPDP

Paris is expensive. I would at least look online to see where you might want to stay - and check the prices. And if you find a place you like - go ahead and book. But - if money and location are not a problem - then Paris is a huge city with places to stay. If you do get train tickets - you may want to spend the night near Gare Montparnasse as that is where you catch the train from. Also - there is usually reasonably priced lodging in that area.

You can just show up to SJPDP - but most people recommend reserving the first night.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bonus question: for Australian travelers - Is a supervised and certified RAT test mandatory at Sydney airport before departure?
Hi Andy
I flew into Madrid yesterday ( flying OUT of Sydney ).
Answering your BONUS question ; apart from wearing a mask to and while at the airport and on plane, the only checking done ‘at Sydney’ was asking the question of my vaccination and certificates by the officer checking me in.

You are flying INTO ‘France’, so I won’t confuse your thread with my entry queues etc into Spain.

Good luck - your travel agent would have given you info relevant to flying into your destination and transits. I found the emirates flights via Dubai were full !!!

Buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We flew into CDG yesterday from Brisbane, we had to show our international covid certificate when we checked in, but no one was checking anything in CDG. We had found and completed 3 different COVID travel forms but nothing was needed.

We flew into CDG yesterday from Brisbane, we had to show our international covid certificate when we checked in, but no one was checking anything in CDG. We had found and completed 3 different COVID travel forms but nothing was needed.
Thanks for your reply. Would my Australian immunisation certificate suffice at the check in for Sydney airport or is there a different certificate I’m supposed to generate prior to checking into flight? The lady above said she just needed to show her immunisation statement.

Thanks for your reply. Would my Australian immunisation certificate suffice at the check in for Sydney airport or is there a different certificate I’m supposed to generate prior to checking into flight? The lady above said she just needed to show her immunisation statement.
All we needed was the Australian government (international) certificate at check in, absolutely nothing else at either Dubai or CDG.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We had found and completed 3 different COVID travel forms but nothing was needed.
Thanks for the info. I'll also travel to Paris from Sydney. I am doing my booster this weekend.
Apart from the international Covid certificate, did you do a test before living Australia to show authorities you are not Covid positive?
And, in relation to those three different Covid travel forms you mention, where did you get those? was it before landing in Paris?
Thanks again.

Hello - I notice Aussies are on the move and I’m one of them. I fly out to Madrid Wednesday 4 May on Emirates 9:10pm arriving in Madrid 13:25pm Thursday 5/5.
I intend catching the 3:15 pm Alsa bus from T4 to Pamplona.
Any chance someone else happens to be doing the same thing?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Back