• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute questions from a first timer...

rlr9200

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles - June 2015
Portugues - sometime soon, I hope
This forum has already been very helpful. But I have a few last minute questions:

1). We are planning on taking an overnight train from Madrid to Ferrol, arriving on a Monday morning. We are going to stay at the Kenningston that evening so we figure that we will have the day to spend in Ferrol. So what are the things to do and see in Ferrol before we embark to Naron? It should only take a couple of hours to get to Naron, so I think we should have time to enjoy breakfast in Ferrol as well as see some sites. What do you suggest? We arrive around 0930.

2) how long is the walk from Siguiero to SDC? Of course, we want to make the Pilgrim's Mass, so what time should we leave? We usually walk about 4km/hour but we want to make sure we get there with plenty of time.

3) lastly, is anyone else walking the Ingles fromJune 15 - 21? This is our first Camino and we are looking forward to it.

Thanks in advance!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Galicia has many beautiful tourist towns, but unfortunately Ferrol isn't one of them! It's an industrial working port and military base, with a small and unremarkable old town (most buildings, including the cathedral, built after the 17th/ 18th century…) In any case you might catch a bus to the old fort of San Felipe (bus line 35) once you've arrived, and then find a spot for lunch along the port Curuxeiras or more central Plaza Amboage (depending on weather!), before heading to your hotel.

here's some travel info:
http://turferrol.com/IN/moverse.asp

Alternatively you could hire a car and take a day trip: the coastal nature reserve to the north of Ferrol is simply glorious, boasting magnificent untouched beaches, isolated villages, and the highest cliffs on the Continent, VixĂ­a Herbeira, which are heart-stoppingly spectacular, and make you feel about as small as a flea.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The starting point of the Camino Ingles is a sight in its own right. The double-decker English bus is a great touch. Enjoying a lingering coffee in one of the cafes by the arch you have to go through to begin the Camino is very pleasant. Make sure you go slightly off the Camino to visit the cathedral. It's curious that it is not directly on the Camino itself. Ferrol is nice enough, though the towns of Betanzos and Pontedueme are much more interesting.
You have made a good hotel choice for your first night, - the Hotel Kensington is very friendly, clean and good value and has a decent bar downstairs. Allowing a couple of hours to get there though is perhaps a touch optimistic. It took me 5 as I relaxed in a park by the sea at one point for a while and spent time in a couple of other open churches on the way.

I agree with NoQ on this, the first time I walked this route I found it quite hard, just take it slowly and have a good look round at the churches and cafes. Also it depends what time you aim to eat, whether afternoon or evening, menu del dia is usually around 2pm till 4pm and evening meals may not be served until 8.30pm, Naron is ok, it was a church festival once when we were there so there is no telling what may be on. But the waymarking is good now.

3) lastly, is anyone else walking the Ingles fromJune 15 - 21? This is our first Camino and we are looking forward to it.
I walked this route in 2014, just before Easter. It might be busier at the time you are intending to walk, but be prepared to see few other pilgrims during the day while you are walking. After the first day, there were always others in the albergues when I walked, but mostly groups of younger Spanish pilgrims. I found it an opportunity to be more reflective than sociable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sigueiro to Santiago is 16km.

@mig, I should have asked my question better. Is it a straght 16km, or are there things to do and see along this section of the Camino? Based on what I have read, it is pretty industrial, and so for planning purposes, it would seem that we would simply need the time for that length of walk...am I correct?

@Jan_D, your description makes me wish we had an extra day to explore the natural area!

Allowing a couple of hours to get there though is perhaps a touch optimistic. It took me 5 as I relaxed in a park by the sea at one point for a while and spent time in a couple of other open churches on the way.

@NoQ, thanks for this input. First, I had miswritten my notes, and thought the walk was shorter, but yes, we do want to enjoy this Camino, and spend time just "being on Camino." I will take your advice and plan accordingly.

I found it an opportunity to be more reflective than sociable.

@dougfitz, reflection and meditation are at the top of our list. Thanks.

@mig, I should have asked my question better. Is it a straght 16km, or are there things to do and see along this section of the Camino? Based on what I have read, it is pretty industrial, and so for planning purposes, it would seem that we would simply need the time for that length of walk...am I correct?
Apart from a couple of 100m on the main road, the first 11km is more or less through countryside. There area couple of chapels to take photos of but nothing that I can remember is worth a long time detour. If you are leaving early (around sunrise), there were some nice photos to be had of the sun rising and the mist laying in the valleys around Santiago. After 11km you traverse an industrial estate and then into the outskirts of Santiago itself.

Sigueiro_SdC.JPG

how long is the walk from Siguiero to SDC? Of course, we want to make the Pilgrim's Mass, so what time should we leave?

As @mig says, it's a pretty straightforward section. The part that goes through the woodland is truly to be treasured - you suddenly realise that this is the last countryside you'll walk through on your camino, and there's a spot when all you can hear is birdsong and the rush of the river (when you've done Ferrol to Betanzos and never been out of earshot of either people or cars all day you'll realise how special that is!) - and it's worth allowing time to really enjoy that.

It's also worth allowing time for breakfast in a great cafe that is immediately to your right as you come into the industrial area - we set off v early that day so were well ready for it when we got there.

Plus allow a bit of time for the pleasure of your first glimpse of the Cathedral, and for getting lost - we were so busy gazing at all the landmarks and architecture on the way in to the old city that we took a wrong turn!

Our accommodation was a few ks beyond Sigueiro, and we left at 7 and arrived in the city at 11. That gave us just enough time to get to the pilgrim office and then to the post office down the road to leave our bags before getting in to the pilgrim mass at 12. To be honest, we wasted time queuing at the pilgrim office - our Compostela could have waited till after mass, but we thought that they provided bag storage there; it turned out they didn't, and we could have just gone straight to the post office or used one of the shops by the Cathedral that offers the service.

Finally, of course, it depends which day you arrive - if you get to SdC on a Friday the pilgrims' mass isn't until the evening, AND you get to see the Botafumeiro swing!

Buen camino - you'll have a great time

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi rlr9200,

I'm walking the Ingles route from 17th-22nd June, maybe our paths will cross.

I've walked the Camino Frances and Portugues the last two summers, so looking forward to taking this smaller path next month.

Regards and Buen Camino

rlr9200,

I just completed my camino ingles 2 weeks ago. I would say every step is worth it. I agree, Ferrol does not offer much things compared to other towns however I still find beauty in it. I find walking around the city is already a pleasure.

I looked at your schedule so looks like you're doing a 7-day walk which is like mine.. This was my itinerary and places i stayed; if this will help. I mostly stayed in public albergue except in SigĂĽeiro.

Ferrol – Neda 12 kms (Hostel Of Neda) with kitchen(stove)
Neda - Pontedeume 13 km (Albergue Municipal de Pontedeume)
Pontedeume – Betanzos 20 kms (Hostel Casa da Fish Betanzos) with kitchen(microwave)
Betanzos – Presedo 12 km (Hostel Presedo) a beautiful newly opened restaurant named Museo Meson, about 400 meters from the albergue
Presedo – Hospital de Bruma 16 Kms (Hostel of Bruma) with kitchen(stove)
Hospital de Bruma (Albergue de Delia) – Sigüeiro 24 kms with kitchen(stove) and free to take and eat what they have in ref/kitchen.
Sigüeiro – Santiago de Compostela 16 kms

as said here to, i left SigĂĽeiro 7 am and made it to SdC before the pilgrim's mass. That also gave me time to have my backpack deposited .

Buen camino - have a great time and enjoy the beauty of Galicia

Last edited:
Museo Meson.

Attachments

• 20150507_150723.jpg
    20150507_150723.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20150507_142943.jpg
    20150507_142943.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi rlr9200,

I'm walking the Ingles route from 17th-22nd June, maybe our paths will cross.

I've walked the Camino Frances and Portugues the last two summers, so looking forward to taking this smaller path next month.

Regards and Buen Camino

Maybe we will see you in Santiago! Buen Camino!

As intimated above- rucksacks are banned from the cathedral so leave time to store them some place (pilgrims office i think?)

As intimated above- rucksacks are banned from the cathedral so leave time to store them some place (pilgrims office i think?)
I don't recall the pilgrim office providing this service when I was there last year. I think there are a couple of places close to the cathedral that offer this service for a fee, but I checked into my accommodation and left my pack there before visiting the cathedral.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When we arrived last week, you could take your bags to the pilgrim office to leave there for free, but the queue was so long and we would have had to wait in it. So we paid 2 euros diagonally opposite the entrance by the fountain - I think it was ike a post office, while we went to the Pilgrim Mass - a lot of people did this.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back