• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute thoughts on clothes

kinnear

Time of past OR future Camino
2007 (September 2017)
I leave from SJPdP on 24 September, flying into Paris early next week. I have my pack largely organised however I will be walking slowly and may add additional routes since my return date is 12 November so there is likely a change in weather over that time. I will be wearing light hiking trousers and have another packed. The question I am debating is whether to add a pair or two of light leggings for layering when cold or wearing if it's really hot early on ie over the Pyrennees.... Saturday week....oh that sounds close and scary. My pack is less than 5.5kg however I don't want to carry extras. The leggings would be more comfortable for sleeping and reasonably decent since I quite small though I wouldn't wear them in Paris or city rest days. I am also flying from NZ which is 24 hours flying time where additional bottom layers may help. Thoughts, anyone

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Kinnear,
I would bring one pair of leggings.. The weight is negligible but it may make the difference if it is cold at night...
Buen camino! :)

Couldn't agree more! By the end of your camino it may be very chilly. Lightweight polar gloves and a similar hat could also be useful.
Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I leave from SJPdP on 24 September, flying into Paris early next week. I have my pack largely organised however I will be walking slowly and may add additional routes since my return date is 12 November so there is likely a change in weather over that time. I will be wearing light hiking trousers and have another packed. The question I am debating is whether to add a pair or two of light leggings for layering when cold or wearing if it's really hot early on ie over the Pyrennees.... Saturday week....oh that sounds close and scary. My pack is less than 5.5kg however I don't want to carry extras. The leggings would be more comfortable for sleeping and reasonably decent since I quite small though I wouldn't wear them in Paris or city rest days. I am also flying from NZ which is 24 hours flying time where additional bottom layers may help. Thoughts, anyone
We are currently walking the Camino and are Puente la Reina. This is the first day we've had any sun. The walk from Roncesvalles to Pamplona was pouring rain, gusty winds and quite chilly. I definitely recommend rain gear and some warm clothing!! Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why not wait until you get there and purchase any additional items when and if you need them? On one of my walks I was nearing Santiago around the third week of October and the weather was turning a bit too cool for the clothing I had, so I bought a cheap sweater in Astoria.

We will walk Camino, starting at Leon next Wednesday ...... to Santiago. How's weather on the course?

I wouldn't go buying things, but lightweight merino wool leggings are perfect if you have them
. (i have icebreaker.) one pair is enough, and they don't smell.
I have full length Kathmandu merino leggings and a 3/4 Icebreaker pair as possibilites. I guess I was getting nervous that it would be really hot over the Pyrennees and non-wool shorter leggings rather than hiking trousers might help there. Pre-Camino nerves probably.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes to leggings. I took silk ones when I walked in Switzerland and needed them. Wore them under shorts and my Macabi skirt.

Take them, @kinnear , as you'll be glad of the warmth at some point on your journey. You may not need them on day 1, but who knows what you'll meet en-route. (And as you'll be inching up to winter conditions, consider merino for your hands and head. These are places that lose heat and feel the cold more than almost anywhere else on the body.)
That won't weigh much and you already have at least the leggings. (No need to buy them elsewhere; what you can get at home is best quality merino!;))

Pre-Camino nerves probably.
Yup. :D

I loved having my leggings when I walked CF the first time. In fact, I loved them so much that I started wearing them every day, taking them off at night to wash and dry them.

BUT, I am very picky about what kind I will wear on Camino, so here they are: Adidas straight leg. They are fitted, as tights are, but they are not "boot fit" or "bell bottom"; neither are they tight to the ankle. They fit snug, but around the knee, the are a bit baggier, and actually have a nice wrinkly good baggy feel that drapes over my Vasque boots a bit.

I won't wear any tights but these doing hiking or distance walking, but under these, you can wear another layer of wool. They also don't look as "showy" as other lycra tights do--as they are not shiny, nor do they have that super-tight fit that gets too much attention.

I recommend them, and as I am a person who does wear tights, this is the only pair I will recommend that does not make me feel a bit indecent.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why not wait until you get there and purchase any additional items when and if you need them?
I agree that everything is available in Spain, but there is not a good selection at every town on the Camino - certainly you can find emergency substitutes, but these leggings will very likely be welcome several times when walking through October. I would take them from home and use them as regular sleepwear.
I will be wearing light hiking trousers and have another packed.
If you have rain pants, you might even consider skipping the second pair of hiking trousers. Use your leggings in the evening and night. Wear hiking trousers in the day with the additional of rain pants if needed for rain or cold. (It is hard to insert leggings under the trousers while you are walking and finding it very cold! :p)

The question I am debating is whether to add a pair or two of light leggings for layering . . . // I am also flying from NZ which is 24 hours flying time where additional bottom layers may help. Thoughts, anyone

Yes to the leggings they could be worn with a sarong while you are washing everything else in your bag if you find a good laundry situation.

But the thing I wanted to say . . . is wear comfortable pants with very few seams for the long flight. I sat it cargo pants from Vancouver and had welts for days on the seam lines. I wore my leggings back with a loose skirt.

K

Kia Ora Kinnear. I can't assist as I am doing my first Camino in Oct (VdlP) from Servile. Just wanted to wish a fellow female Kiwi a 'Buen Camino'. Enjoy. Tikitour.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have full length Kathmandu merino leggings and a 3/4 Icebreaker pair as possibilites. I guess I was getting nervous that it would be really hot over the Pyrennees and non-wool shorter leggings rather than hiking trousers might help there. Pre-Camino nerves probably.
Take the icebreaker leggings for sure, their 180 grade is good, also pack at least one of their lightweight tops, the merino drys quicker then a tshirt and they breathe. The ability to layer up and down is very important at this time if year, I found icebreaker no stink to be great and they stay in place so you don't have to keep hitching them, yes you will end up sleeping in them, we never travel without them and you can't guarantee that you will be able to buy them on the way. Mark of a kiwi is colourful merino and a macpac pack.

Yes. My merino leggings have been invaluable, in the cold evenings with a lightweight dress they make a perfect outfit for going out, easy to wear in the albergue for cool evenings. I'm so glad I packed mine having nearly left them out.

Thanks Nicola. I did a cull of my pack getting it down to 5.3 kg including the merino leggings. I will add back my icebreaker merino dress now.

Hello (live) from the Meseta. Many many many leggings on the Way. If you're comfy in them, bring them. Recommend those that dry quickly and are athletic in nature. The temp is COLD in the morning already this year--we are in gloves and coats every morning during recent days--temps are unusually cool so do yourself a favor and add warmer layers back into your pack. I'm wearing lightweight exofficio long johns under my shorts today --with long sleeves and a coat. Expect autumn for most of your trip, not summer. Ultreia ~~

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello (live) from the Meseta. Many many many leggings on the Way. If you're comfy in them, bring them. Recommend those that dry quickly and are athletic in nature. The temp is COLD in the morning already this year--we are in gloves and coats every morning during recent days--temps are unusually cool so do yourself a favor and add warmer layers back into your pack. I'm wearing lightweight exofficio long johns under my shorts today --with long sleeves and a coat. Expect autumn for most of your trip, not summer. Ultreia ~~

Thanks for the advice. I only packed for the heat I was warned about. Haha. Too bad I've already left NZ but thankfully I brought a jacket last minute before leaving. Lol.

Thank you I am hearing you! I leave tomorrow for Paris en route!! My bag is pruned down however the merino leggings and LS top are back in. Already I have an ultra light LS icebreaker top and SL too to layer up and down . Will still plan on walking and travelling in the hiking pants. Have a ultra light vest and light Columbia rain/wind jacket cosy together when not walking. A merino buff and gloves. And my trusty ALTUS. This time next week, God Willing, I will be leaving from Roncesvalles!!
Burn Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
KIA ORA
A belated return greeting from another Kiwi. I leave from Wellington tomorrow afternoon and start from SJPdP Saturday. Thankful for op shops and an abundance of Icebreaker light gear!!
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Suzanne,
I will start my first camino 2 October from Tui.... any suggestions are wellcome... pretty anctious about weather and clothing.
Biana

Hi Suzanne,
I will start my first camino 2 October from Tui.... any suggestions are wellcome... pretty anctious about weather and clothing.
Biana

Hi Biana, I start my first Camino at the same time (I am doing the Via de la Plata from Serville). I will think of you.
Buen Camino
Tikitour

Hi Biana, I start my first Camino at the same time (I am doing the Via de la Plata from Serville). I will think of you.
Buen Camino
Tikitour
Buen Camino y good luke!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.