Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute tips?

believer12345

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Hello all. I will be starting the Camino Primitivo next week. Just wanted to get on here to see if any last minute tips / things to consider . I will have just a bit over 3 weeks in Spain so hoping to make it to Muxia . My hope is to walk of course worst case scenario / take bus of injured or something along those lines. Plan on buying hiking sticks in Oviedo since can’t take sticks on the plane . I booked my accommodation for Oviedo but nowhere else yet as I’m still unsure / having a hard time to gauge how much I’m actually able to walk per day ( ideally follow guidebook, but heard based on fitness level easier said than done ) . I was thinking at least the first few days to play by ear then start booking accordingly. I know most people have opted for trail runners but with my shoe size ( 16 US) have a hard time getting those so going for hiking shoes . I did buy merino wool socks . One strategy I read was to stop every couple of hours and take off shoes and socks to let them breathe so I may do that. I bought a liner and ( I think enough layering to keep me warm in Albuerge.) I only know a few Spanish words/ phrases , may brush up some more before going, hopefully with that , hand gestures, and luck hope to get by . Ultimately I will have to listen to my body and the Camino to see what I should do, but if any other last minute tips/ recommendations greatly appreciated. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all. I will be starting the Camino Primitivo next week. Just wanted to get on here to see if any last minute tips / things to consider . I will have just a bit over 3 weeks in Spain so hoping to make it to Muxia . My hope is to walk of course worst case scenario / take bus of injured or something along those lines. Plan on buying hiking sticks in Oviedo since can’t take sticks on the plane . I booked my accommodation for Oviedo but nowhere else yet as I’m still unsure / having a hard time to gauge how much I’m actually able to walk per day ( ideally follow guidebook, but heard based on fitness level easier said than done ) . I was thinking at least the first few days to play by ear then start booking accordingly. I know most people have opted for trail runners but with my shoe size ( 16 US) have a hard time getting those so going for hiking shoes . I did buy merino wool socks . One strategy I read was to stop every couple of hours and take off shoes and socks to let them breathe so I may do that. I bought a liner and ( I think enough layering to keep me warm in Albuerge.) I only know a few Spanish words/ phrases , may brush up some more before going, hopefully with that , hand gestures, and luck hope to get by . Ultimately I will have to listen to my body and the Camino to see what I should do, but if any other last minute tips/ recommendations greatly appreciated. Buen Camino
Change your socks at least once while walking and vaseline uour feet

For ME, what works is injniji toe sock liners (never thought I would like toe socks - but now won't walk any distance without them) to be paired with a good pair of merino wool darn tough or injinji socks with a bit of cushion. For me, this is ALL I need. I usually don't lubricate my feet. I usually don't take my socks off mid-day to air out my feet. And I usually don't change my socks mid-way through the day. My sock combination with my Altra Trail Runners work VERY well for my feet. My feet do NOT blister at all when I wear that combination. That said - what works for ME, might not work for you. So - try different shoe/sock combinations, and try with and without lubrication, with and without airing out your feet mid-day, and with and without changing your socks mid-day. Do this while taking some VERY long walks (10 miles or more if possible - I find I never have problems until I hit the long distances). Personally, I would still bring a very lightweight, summer weight, sleeping bag unless you sleep very warm to begin with. For translation - download the google translate app! You can even take a picture of something in Spanish and have it translated to your language of choice.

Anyhow - sounds like you don't have much time to take long practice hikes with your shoe sock combination - so if you find they aren't working - then you could always buy new socks and/or shoes if needed! If you do get a "hot spot" put a compeed on BEFORE it turns into a blister!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For ME, what works is injniji toe sock liners (never thought I would like toe socks - but now won't walk any distance without them) to be paired with a good pair of merino wool darn tough or injinji socks with a bit of cushion. For me, this is ALL I need. I usually don't lubricate my feet. I usually don't take my socks off mid-day to air out my feet. And I usually don't change my socks mid-way through the day. My sock combination with my Altra Trail Runners work VERY well for my feet. My feet do NOT blister at all when I wear that combination. That said - what works for ME, might not work for you. So - try different shoe/sock combinations, and try with and without lubrication, with and without airing out your feet mid-day, and with and without changing your socks mid-day. Do this while taking some VERY long walks (10 miles or more if possible - I find I never have problems until I hit the long distances). Personally, I would still bring a very lightweight, summer weight, sleeping bag unless you sleep very warm to begin with. For translation - download the google translate app! You can even take a picture of something in Spanish and have it translated to your language of choice.

Anyhow - sounds like you don't have much time to take long practice hikes with your shoe sock combination - so if you find they aren't working - then you could always buy new socks and/or shoes if needed! If you do get a "hot spot" put a compeed on BEFORE it turns into a blister!
Maybe not. He stated in his original post he wears a size 16 US shoe.

You still have a few days. If you have not already you should definitely go out and test your shoe and sock combination on a 5 kilometre walk before you leave. That should tell you if it will work out for you on an 800 kilometre walk. Definitely do not over complicate it and if it feels good, no discomfort or rubbing/hot spots stick with that combination come rain or shine on the Camino. I always carry 5-6 pairs of socks with me on the Camino. Sometimes I change them out while walking, but if I'm having no problems and everything feels good I don't. I also make it a point to massage and stretch my feet regularly when I've finished for the day or in the morning before I put on my shoes for the walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
IMO, take a sleeping bag. A liner will probably not be enough at this time of year and you can't count on bedding being available. Plan your food carefully. At this early point in the season there will be some scarce food spots mid-day. If at all possible take the Hospitales route, it's spectacular.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last minute tips? Carry a bag as light as possible (really, that is my most reliable advice) and don’t worry too much. I have done a few Caminos and I ALWAYS worry beforehand. So, it’s do as I say and not as I do 🙂 You’ll be fine 😎

Do not follow the stages of the guidebook they are just ways to break up any camino to make the information more manageable. Follow the stages of your body. Plan ahead every day and see what your options are for the next day. Walk a little less early on rather than a little further. Don't worry about walking to Muxia. If you have the time then great it is gravy. Walk NOW and alot with your boots to break them in. New boots can almost always mean new and big blisters. Too bad you can't find trail runners. Hope your boots are at least a 1/2 size larger than your normal size. Your feet will expand and sweat. Take care of your feet for sure. If you have issues go to a pharmacy and show the pharmacist your feet. The pharmacists are excellent and will know what to do. Don't wear too much when you walk. You will be amazed at how fast your body will warm up even in cold weather. You do not want to sweat too much.

Wow, thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. On my off days , I’ve been doing minimum 5- 10 k walks , may push more this week with equipment. My average walking speed is 2.5- 3 miles per hour though no elevation. I have bought smart wool socks and the inij toe socks . I did buy a small bottle of Vaseline so the first few days will be a trial to see what strategy works.hmm. I will consider sleeping bag , , will go to nearbymay need to rethink my current packing list my bag weight , right now without water I’m getting 5-6 kg. My hiking shoes is 1.5 inch greater than foot size which is comfortable enough to walk with breathing space . Yeah will download google translate and write some phrases. Thanks everyone .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
believer12345,

Be a snail; slow but, determined, until your body has found its way.

Whatever your age and fitness do remember that this is not a walk in the park! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break anything. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much! Easy does it.

Take care and Buen camino!

I think it may be chilly still in Spain so a sleeping bag may be in order.

‘Vaseline did not work for me. I use injinji toe socks and they work very well. Or sock liners and Smartwool Socks.

Your feet are your most important set of equipment, never forget that! Give them a nice massage at the end of each day - they deserve it.

Use hiking poles, even if you think they look dorky. Don’t click-click them every step you take - that sound quickly can become annoying. Use them as needed.

Spain is a first world country so don’t fret about having forgotten something.

Share and be kind and patient. Stop to smell the roses. Don’t push yourself and listen to your body.

Most importantly,

START OUT LIKE AN OLD MAN SO YOU CAN FINISH LIKE A YOUNG MAN

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last minute tips? Carry a bag as light as possible (really, that is my most reliable advice) and don’t worry too much. I have done a few Caminos and I ALWAYS worry beforehand. So, it’s do as I say and not as I do 🙂 You’ll be fine 😎
Indeed, you learn as you go. It will work-out.

Hello all. I will be starting the Camino Primitivo next week. Just wanted to get on here to see if any last minute tips / things to consider . I will have just a bit over 3 weeks in Spain so hoping to make it to Muxia . My hope is to walk of course worst case scenario / take bus of injured or something along those lines. Plan on buying hiking sticks in Oviedo since can’t take sticks on the plane . I booked my accommodation for Oviedo but nowhere else yet as I’m still unsure / having a hard time to gauge how much I’m actually able to walk per day ( ideally follow guidebook, but heard based on fitness level easier said than done ) . I was thinking at least the first few days to play by ear then start booking accordingly. I know most people have opted for trail runners but with my shoe size ( 16 US) have a hard time getting those so going for hiking shoes . I did buy merino wool socks . One strategy I read was to stop every couple of hours and take off shoes and socks to let them breathe so I may do that. I bought a liner and ( I think enough layering to keep me warm in Albuerge.) I only know a few Spanish words/ phrases , may brush up some more before going, hopefully with that , hand gestures, and luck hope to get by . Ultimately I will have to listen to my body and the Camino to see what I should do, but if any other last minute tips/ recommendations greatly appreciated. Buen Cam
If you take a small tub of vicks vapor rub with you, you can rub this on your feat at breaks and after showers at night, before setting of in the morning. It acts as both antibacterial aswell as like Vaseline. I've used it before and I will use it again next year.

Another tip if you are feeling the cold and run out of layers; use your towel as a scarf with it double wrapped/folded over your chest area so it keeps your chest extra warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back