• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute wobbles

Frank Mestre

Let’s Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
1st. Camino coming up 29th. April
Camino Frances here I come.
Hi all last year I had my flight booked to Biarritz and was set to go then got the wobbles and lost my nerve and found a thousand excuses why I couldn't go. The truth is I bottled it big time. Now I have booked yet again for the 29th. April and I'm deffo off come what may. I have my air fare and ordered my gear ie. Rack sack, sleeping bag, neck zip bag and rain poncho. I have a pair of broken in hiking boots and am constantly reading of what else I might need. Im really looking forward to a long month+ of trekking. I think I was finally inspired by the TV program of the celebrities. Although I do realize it was massively edited and they only did 15 days. My biggest fear is being alone and feeling lonely. Any tip will be greatly welcomed. Thanks Frank

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My biggest fear is being alone and feeling lonely.
That is not likely if you approach other pilgrims. They have the same anxiety, and almost all will be quite welcoming. Share meals, walk together for a few minutes (longer than that, and you both may be pulled off your natural walking rhythm), and plan meeting again in the evening. Don't automatically take out your phone during quiet times. That is the new "do not disturb" signal. If you are not really in trekking shape, take it slow in the beginning. You may even want to take the bus from SJPdP to Pamplona so that your starting days are a bit easier than the Pyrenees crossing.

Have fun!

Fears are not always easy to overcome, but when we do, it does manage to provide some valuable lessons. There will be many fellow pilgrims on the journey, and in some ways one might have to go out of there way to be alone. Having said that, it's not unheard of to be in a crowd of people and also feel utterly alone. Depending on how much you would like to address this fear, may I offer a simple suggestion; the question of why one is doing the camino, often serves as a way to start a dialog that leads not only to answers but companionship and camaraderie as well.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks falcon. I joined ramblers and have been hiking for a few months through the British winter so I intend to do every bit of what the camino has to offer. Will take your advise on board thanks.

Yes Lake thanks we all have very good reasons as to the why. It's so true. Thanks

The Camino Frances will be busy at the end of April and into May. There will be so many people arriving in SJPdP who all feel nervous, excited and want to reach out and talk with other people about this big adventure. If you want to meet pilgrims right away, stay in an albergue in SJPdP. If you stay in an albergue that has a communal dinner, that solves the problem of who to eat with and gives you a chance to start to get to know everyone at the table. You will probably run into that group of people for the next month as the fast ones slow down and the slow ones catch up.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all last year I had my flight booked to Biarritz and was set to go then got the wobbles and lost my nerve and found a thousand excuses why I couldn't go. The truth is I bottled it big time. Now I have booked yet again for the 29th. April and I'm deffo off come what may. I have my air fare and ordered my gear ie. Rack sack, sleeping bag, neck zip bag and rain poncho. I have a pair of broken in hiking boots and am constantly reading of what else I might need. Im really looking forward to a long month+ of trekking. I think I was finally inspired by the TV program of the celebrities. Although I do realize it was massively edited and they only did 15 days. My biggest fear is being alone and feeling lonely. Any tip will be greatly welcomed. Thanks Frank
We are also flying in to Biarritz on Apr 29 (from CDG). Hoping to meet you on along the way!

Yes I will be staying at an Albergue in SJPdP. I cant find how much they are. Do you have any idea how much roughly they charge on average for they say?

We are also flying in to Biarritz on Apr 29 (from CDG). Hoping to meet you on along the way!
Cool look forward to meeting you. Lets hope the train strike situation gets resolved in France by then.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You're not the first and you won't be the last to have the wobbles, what you are undertaking is huge, I was in the same positions you with apprehension, the being alone wasn't a problem for me as I like the solitude, I found it difficult to mix and make the first move towards other people. This I did overcome as time went on and it really enhanced my experience.

Hi Frank
I'm heading out this weekend.
Have a look at www.booking.com for an idea of prices in SJPdP - you'll also see reviews mainly from other pilgrims.
I booked through them and got an excellent deal - about EURS 40 for two nights B&B - on the main drag, Rue de la Citadelle.
Don't stress about the train from Biarritz - take the people-mover operated by Express Bourricot - send them an email and, if you're lucky, you'll get a door-to-door service for under EURS 20.
And don't worry about being lonely - I'm traveling solo and that's the last thing on my mind.
The guy snoring in the next bunk is of much greater concern ;)
Mike

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @Frank Mestre. I wouldn't worry about being alone while walking the Camino Francés in June. There will be many other pilgrims walking. Like you, the majority of them will be walking for the first time. This is the perfect environment to meet new people. What I found is that people who find themselves in a new situation with others who are also sharing the same situation tend to bond very quickly. This is certainly true of the Camino experience. While you will find people from all walks of life, you will find that you all have the challenge of the Camino in common - and this is most important. Just be open, friendly, welcoming, and genually interested in others and the rest will take care of itself. If you want to walk alone for a while, just say so. People will respect your need for privacy. I walked my first Camino back in 2014 and like you I started alone. I met some amazing people very early on and walked with them for most of the journey. We are still in touch! I'm sure you will meet some amazing people too. In my experience, most people who walk the Camino are friendly, caring, and genuine. You have an amazing adventure ahead. Open your heart, turn the volume down on your mind, and just enjoy every moment as it comes! Buen Camino!

Hi Frank
Have a look at www.booking.com for an idea of prices in SJPdP - you'll also see reviews mainly from other pilgrims.
I booked through them and got an excellent deal - about EURS 40 for two nights B&B - on the main drag, Rue de la Citadelle.
Don't stress about the train from Biarritz - take the people-mover operated by Express Bourricot - send them an email and, if you're lucky, you'll get a door-to-door service for under EURS 20.
And don't worry about being lonely - I'm traveling solo and that's the last thing on my mind.
Mike
Email sent Thanks Pal.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Frank
Mike
Oh Dear they have replied but are already fully booked for the 29th. Should I book a train fare? or is there another way of getting to St. Jean ?

Glad to hear of the speedy reply - not so glad about the content.
Don't know about the train option - hopefully someone will chip in with advice.
Good luck !
Mike

Hi Frank. I walked the Camino Frances in 2014. I started out with other people but due to differences in schedules, ended up walking the last two weeks alone. That was the best part of my Camino. I ate dinner alone only three times in that two week period. I met lots of interesting people and by walking alone didn't need to negotiate with anyone else about where to stop, where to eat, who to hang out with. I did what suited me and it worked out great. There are lots of people out there and a natural camaraderie seems to emerge. As @Canadiandreamer says, start in an albergue in SJPP with a communal dinner and you will immediately start meeting people. There are quite a few albergues along the Frances that offer communal dinners and they are a great way to meet new people. I have wonderful memories and am still in touch with a number of the people I met along the Way. Buen camino y Ultreya!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Frank
If you can book into Orisson for your first night after SJPP it will give you an easier two first days walking. More importantly there is a communal dinner at which pilgrims have an opportunity to introduce themselves and, if so inclined, elaborate on their motivation for embarking on the Camino. I found some of those stories immensely compelling. And those dinner companions became familiar faces in the following days and some became friends that we have visited in their home countries.

You do need to book:
www.refuge-orisson.com

Oh Frank, so sweet. You will be fine. A lot of other pilgrims to talk to. I am a female, walked solo. I am extrovert by nature however I really enjoyed the quiet times I had on the Frances. There are plenty of folks in the mornings and evenings. You can walk alone or together with someone you click with.

Once you arrive you will go from wobbly to ecstatic. You can feel the energy in the air. Go with the flow, the Camino will provide.
Trust in the arrows and don't stop walking.............I'm so excited for you. :)

Oh Frank, so sweet. You will be fine. A lot of other pilgrims to talk to. I am a female, walked solo. I am extrovert by nature however I really enjoyed the quiet times I had on the Frances. There are plenty of folks in the mornings and evenings. You can walk alone or together with someone you click with.

Once you arrive you will go from wobbly to ecstatic. You can feel the energy in the air. Go with the flow, the Camino will provide.
Trust in the arrows and don't stop walking.............I'm so excited for you. :)
Love you enthusiasm Globe love it. Ill wear that Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm a chef so perhaps i'll cook a meal as well lol Ta.

Don't advertise that to much! You'll be the most popular guy and the busiest on the Camino! :eek::eek:

I think all first timers get the jitters Frank. It's a massive leap into the unknown isn't it?

But you know, once you get there and you're amongst all the other Pilgrims, its a bit like the first day of school at a new School...... Everyone is a bit nervous too, but at the same time, eager to make new friends and share their plans. You'll soon discover

And in some strange way.........it feels like you have found a new home. A really energising and exciting new home :)

I think I had a smile on my face all the way up the Hill on day 1, just glad to be there and saying Hi to the other Pilgrims.

Just say Hi, or 'can I sit here' at a coffee stop, and you'll soon have new buddies to walk and talk with.

Don't overthink it Frank ;)

Just turn up, and walk and you'll have an amazing time.

We are 4 days ahead of you. So you'll catch us up fairly quickly! Yep, we are that slow. Make sure you say Hi. You'll see these back packs as you zoom up behind us.

XOnZhD.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I will be staying at an Albergue in SJPdP. I cant find how much they are. Do you have any idea how much roughly they charge on average for they say?
I highly recommend Beilari in SJPDP. Their communal dinner and get-to-know each other session is a great way to start a Camino.

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of a storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark
Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone
Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh my goodness, @Frank Mestre ! You will have the time of your life! I, too walked "alone" in 2015 and there were hundreds of us. Take it as it comes and enjoy!

Buen Camino!!!

An albergue in SJPP will run 30 to 36 euro incl dinner, breakfast and maybe a lunch for next day. Check out Beilaeu or Auberge du Pelerin. I booked into the former as I did not get a response from the latter. They are both on Rue Citadelle, same street as the Pilgrim Office.

About to embark upon my fourth different camino. My first was from SJP and I had planned every step of the way - what a big mistake! Determined to be on my own but that plan failed by Day 2. Do not worry about what may go wrong - I experienced many blips on the way which provided great amusement for friends and family. Getting to SJP from Biarritz airport was very much part of the experience. Bus to Hendaye rail station and train to SJP in company with other pilgrims. Cheap and enjoyable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My knees are beginning to knock a little, 11 days from now I will be on the plane, how many times can a person pack the same bag? I'm up to at least 10 times now, I haven't trained as much as I said I would, haven't lost those 25 pounds that I said I would. I have to admit as the time passes and the date gets closer I think..WHAT HAVE I DONE... part of me wants to say, nope too hard, will go next year, the majority of me says, oh boy what an amazing adventure awaits. Self doubt creeps in. Guess I'll figure it out on the way, take step 1 and off I go. All I need is a place to lay my head and a meal and a glass of wine at the end of the day, maybe the rest of it is the journey and just take it as it comes, keep yourself open. What I am looking forward to is not having a plan, I've always had plans, schedules, deadlines, appointments, emails, people and places to be. Turning off the grid and just being. Walk as far as you want, walk as long as you want, stop when you want, go when you want. smell some flowers, drink some wine, enjoy the moment. I sense spiritual power in that, I also sense a lot of vulnerability, Camino show me whatever the hell you have been nattering in my head for the past year.

Don't advertise that to much! You'll be the most popular guy and the busiest on the Camino! :eek::eek:

I think all first timers get the jitters Frank. It's a massive leap into the unknown isn't it?

But you know, once you get there and you're amongst all the other Pilgrims, its a bit like the first day of school at a new School...... Everyone is a bit nervous too, but at the same time, eager to make new friends and share their plans. You'll soon discover

And in some strange way.........it feels like you have found a new home. A really energising and exciting new home :)

I think I had a smile on my face all the way up the Hill on day 1, just glad to be there and saying Hi to the other Pilgrims.

Just say Hi, or 'can I sit here' at a coffee stop, and you'll soon have new buddies to walk and talk with.

Don't overthink it Frank ;)

Just turn up, and walk and you'll have an amazing time.

We are 4 days ahead of you. So you'll catch us up fairly quickly! Yep, we are that slow. Make sure you say Hi. You'll see these back packs as you zoom up behind us. Defo will look out for you Robo. Perhaps share a beer. Buen Camino

XOnZhD.jpg

Look forward to spotting those two racksacks. Will defo crack a beer. Buem Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My knees are beginning to knock a little, 11 days from now I will be on the plane, how many times can a person pack the same bag? I'm up to at least 10 times now, I haven't trained as much as I said I would, haven't lost those 25 pounds that I said I would. I have to admit as the time passes and the date gets closer I think..WHAT HAVE I DONE... part of me wants to say, nope too hard, will go next year, the majority of me says, oh boy what an amazing adventure awaits. Self doubt creeps in. Guess I'll figure it out on the way, take step 1 and off I go. All I need is a place to lay my head and a meal and a glass of wine at the end of the day, maybe the rest of it is the journey and just take it as it comes, keep yourself open. What I am looking forward to is not having a plan, I've always had plans, schedules, deadlines, appointments, emails, people and places to be. Turning off the grid and just being. Walk as far as you want, walk as long as you want, stop when you want, go when you want. smell some flowers, drink some wine, enjoy the moment. I sense spiritual power in that, I also sense a lot of vulnerability, Camino show me whatever the hell you have been nattering in my head for the past year.
LOL Sounds a lot like me. Buen Camino Diane

You’re not alone. I think I’ve been having anxiety attacks for the first time in my nearly 48 years. 5 weeks to go. My biggest fear is the physical part but I’ve accepted my uninvited campanion named Doubt is coming along for the ride whether I like it or not. :)

€149,-
You’re not alone. I think I’ve been having anxiety attacks for the first time in my nearly 48 years. 5 weeks to go. My biggest fear is the physical part but I’ve accepted my uninvited campanion named Doubt is coming along for the ride whether I like it or not. :)

Maybe thats part of the bonding process on the Camino.....months of communal distress.

Start slow and give your body time to adjust and I bet you’ll be just fine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
About 30 -40 euros for a bed, dinner, and breakfast in France. I stayed at Orisson, for the first night on my second pilgrimage. I enjoyed it very much. But there are other good places to stay. You can ask at the pilgrim office if they know of a albergue with a communal dinner (there are many). -- It gets less expensive in Spain.

I walked last Fall from Le Puy to Conques-- kind of a mini-camino. It was the first time I walked alone, and there were a few days I saw no one. However, I could have walked with a group I met up with in Le Puy. I did from time to time, as our paths crossed a few times. (Usually I walk faster than they did, but I took an alternate route once, and other times, I stopped when they did not.) One evening I came into a village and was headed to the municipal gite, when I heard a person call out "Kate! Come-- we make pasta!" It was Pierre, from the group I had walked with for a day or two.

You are walking the Frances, and will rarely be alone.

I wish you a buen camino.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks everyone my wobbles have all but gone. I cant wait to get started. I have two weeks to get myself physically ready. Today I walked 23 klm. In London and I wont lie I really felt the pain in my hips. feet and knees. I am accustomed to walking as I often join a ramblers group, but nonetheless still ache. I'm looking at the first stage from St. Jean to Roncesvalles. Is it really really hard going?

Thanks everyone my wobbles have all but gone. I cant wait to get started. I have two weeks to get myself physically ready. Today I walked 23 klm. In London and I wont lie I really felt the pain in my hips. feet and knees. I am accustomed to walking as I often join a ramblers group, but nonetheless still ache. I'm looking at the first stage from St. Jean to Roncesvalles. Is it really really hard going?
I never asked why, but my walking companion, from Pamplona and used to outdoor life, made sure we took a glass of water at the end of the walk each day with saved sugar from cafes, and for the first few days, ibuprofen, until our aches and pains adjusted to the pounding. It gets better...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
.... Today I walked 23 klm. In London and I wont lie I really felt the pain in my hips. feet and knees. I am accustomed to walking as I often join a ramblers group, but nonetheless still ache. I'm looking at the first stage from St. Jean to Roncesvalles. Is it really really hard going?
Do not overdo your training. Maybe it is better to start slowly on the Camino, if your time for training is now limited.
You can e. g. try to stop in Orisson (booking needed?!) or Valcarlos.
Maybe poles can help, especially if you go up or down.

Ibuprofen can have sideeffects:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/ibuprofen-side-effects.52209/

Last edited:
Thanks Martin for the link. Good bit of advice.

Hey Frank,

My prep for camino number one was doing a lap around Richmond Park, not ideal but all was fine.

St. Jean to Roncesvalles is tough but it's also actually quite reassuring, almost everybody finds day one difficult and you won't be struggling on your own as others skip up the hill laughing, you'll all be suffering together and that's a great opportunity to make Camino friends, once you start talking (if you have the breath to do it) your mind will be taken off the physical effort. Just stop regularly and take your time.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Well, yes, it's 28 km of mountain trekking. But you can cut it halfway if need be or just slow down and go all the way. It is hard mainly because it's the first stage and your body is not yet used to the effort.

Oh Dear they have replied but are already fully booked for the 29th. Should I book a train fare? or is there another way of getting to St. Jean ?

Hi, I also discovered the shuttle is full and that there's a train Stoke on 29th so I've just booked a taxi for 120 euros for three of us (my parents are joining me for the first two days). You're very welcome to join us and split the cost? Are you on the Stansted Ryanair flight that lands at 4.55pm at Biarritz?
Ceri

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I also discovered the shuttle is full and that there's a train Stoke on 29th so I've just booked a taxi for 120 euros for three of us (my parents are joining me for the first two days). You're very welcome to join us and split the cost? Are you on the Stansted Ryanair flight that lands at 4.55pm at Biarritz?
Ceri
Whoops meant train strike!

Do not overdo your training. Maybe it is better to start slowly on the Camino, if your time for training is now limited.
You can e. g. try to stop in Orisson (booking needed?!) or Valcarlos.
Maybe poles can help, especially if you go up or down.

Ibuprofen can have sideeffects:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/ibuprofen-side-effects.52209/
Everything I've heard says that the day from SJPP to Roncesvalles is really tough. If I were starting in SJPP I would try to book a stay in Orisson. When we walked from Roncesvalles we took short second, third and fourth day walks to ease in.

I would highly advise walking poles. We started without and I regretted it.

After 2-3 days of walking it will be "What on earth was I so worried about?" Then your next overwhelming feeling will be in another 4 to 5 days: How am I ever going to leave; and in 60 days, its "When can I get back out here.
From another long distance hike, not the Camino I think but I suspect the same feeling.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ceri
Hi Ceri yes I would love to join you. Thank you I'll look out for you. Would that be 4 ways? My number is 07946520008. But I'm sure we will stop each other with rack sacks on our backs. Thank you Frank

Hi Frank
Great advice that I got last year was to stop At Orrison, I was in the same situation as you’re in. The first day I hiked from SJPD to Orrison on my own ( 3 hour hike)
That night I met a few people that calmed me down, the following morning walked along with an American man called Ken. For the next 32 days I always had a companion to walk with, you do have days when you want your own company.
Loved it so much I’m returning in May. Buen Camino Frank

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Frank
Great advice that I got last year was to stop At Orrison, I was in the same situation as you’re in. The first day I hiked from SJPD to Orrison on my own ( 3 hour hike)
That night I met a few people that calmed me down, the following morning walked along with an American man called Ken. For the next 32 days I always had a companion to walk with, you do have days when you want your own company.
Loved it so much I’m returning in May. Buen Camino Frank
I have already emailed the hostals at Orrison so I am waiting to hear from them, I think its a good idea. Thank you Tony

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back